H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

• JennyB 08/27/2009 4:54pm

I firmly believe it is not “what you know” at this time but “who you know”.
    Keeping your name out there and calling and calling so regularly that they will NOT forget you.

So I guess what I am saying is. Don’t give up! Get up tomorrow and call your Network List. It only takes one phone call and two words to change your life. (You’re Hired!)

I pray that an extension will be provided in Sept. for ALL unemployed because this is the worst of times.

I have only been back at work 2 days but I feel like it’s been the longest 2 days ever. Being so out of “routine”. My brain has fried itself out over these 20 months, not with work but with Stress and Fear.

Thanks to my fellow Floridians for all the effort you have put into bringing information to the forefront and keeping a level head on your shoulders and for always remaining respectful even when provoked.
    Nancy, Flarelene, Gonzo, Unemployed2007, JohnB, BrokeinOhio and lots of others.

Take Care
    Jenny

FLarlene 08/27/2009 5:12pm

Jenny B: Woooooooooot. Doing the happy dance for you.

Congratulations.

That being said, my daughter has told me over and over, " Send out resumes to every company you can think of in your area. Go through the phone book; if you have to send out 500 resumes, so be it.

About the networking, that is what I need to do. I an thrilled for you.

JohnB 08/27/2009 5:38pm

JennyB congradulations on the new job. You’re right about the constant networking. I tell people to apply for jobs you’re not even qualified for. You never know who in the company may see your resume.

Serendipity 08/27/2009 7:32pm

your job search going JohnB? Seems some of us are finding work. You seem intent spending hours on this forum offering amatuerish advice, posting gossip and innuendo, useless negativity and bashing the very elected officials that may provide another extension for those still struggling to find gainful employment.

You are no different than the right-wing crazies at the town hall meetings.
    You spout useless talking points of fear and animosity with a vengeance.
    How utterly self-serving.
    Take all the pent-up hostility and direct it towards your job search. You just might find one.

JohnB 08/27/2009 7:42pm

Serendipity: “your job search going JohnB? Seems some of us are finding work”

My job search is going just find, I guess your’s isn’t, since you spend alot of anguish reading and responding to my posts to others. :)

Serendipity 08/27/2009 7:58pm

JohnB,

My tax dollars are paying for haters like you to languish at your computer all day spewing hate at our government while collecting unemployment benefits. You know, all those ‘big bad’ Socialist programs you wingnuts are so eager to despise, yet accept.

I feel for the people on this forum who diligently look for work everyday.
    Your constant bashing of members of congress can’t be helpful to those in need of another extension. You are shameless and self-serving.

• GonzoFL 08/27/2009 5:08pm

Thanks JennyB and the best of luck to you. :)

• Patriots 08/27/2009 5:21pm

Now I will go back to working on the situation here in CT. and the manipulation of the unemployment numbers by someone. To the real CT people, we will not give up on this issue.

I’m done wasting time here with someone that wants me to waste time.

Attack me all you want, you will not stop me.

• Marcy 08/27/2009 6:17pm

@Ohionoeb

~But they were able to pass a extra 2 Billion for “Cash for Clunkers” in 3 HOURS before they recess..

I WON’T FORGET THIS IN 2010!!!~

Don’t! American needs a revolution, just not a violent one. Those days are over, thank god. But instead of just general grumbling, people need to act and not sit out an election because they don’t like the candidates.

One of the reasons they could pass the cash for clunkers thing so fast is because the money was already there for them to do so. The amount of money needed for unemployment extension exceeded what was written into the budget for this year. We switch to 2010 budget in september, so more money is available for us then.

Keep being strong and positive, that is all any of us can do right now. We won’t really have any news until they come back from recess, unfortunately.

• Marcy 08/27/2009 7:03pm

JohnB

~nancym, you want to know why everyone pays high interest rates on their credit cards, you have the democrats to thank for that:

I read this a couple of times and I can’t see what you are saying about the Dems being the cause of high interest rates on credit cards. I see that Sen. Johnson is from South Dakota, which puts him in the pockets of the banking/credit industry period, unfortunately. Can you point this out to me? I appreciate it, thanks!

JohnB 08/27/2009 7:17pm

Sen. Johnson at Sen Johnson’s voting record on that page. He votes every time for the banks and against consumers. He’s a democrat, why hasn’t the party stood up against him?

• Serendipity 08/27/2009 7:38pm

JohnB,

You make NO SENSE. If you hate this country so much, LEAVE!

hretagirl 08/28/2009 10:58am

Serendipity,

I read these post often to try and find out what is going on regarding the next extension but it is so darn frustrating reading all these posts from you. It seems like every time JohnB posts something you are always attacking him in some sort of way. I am sure other people feel the same way. Give it up already and let him answer questions. You are so judgmental and I am sure you are going to attack me in some way. Could care less! Off to Sam’s Club…..

JohnB 08/28/2009 11:02am

I will ignore Serendipity posts from now on.

• Marcy 08/27/2009 7:59pm

Ah…yes, what I pointed out above. I wasn’t sure if I was seeing what you meant. Ok, I kept seeing that as him going out on his own (as much as we would like every political party to vote with one mind, they are not lemmings, thank god) along with a few others. Notably the dems that did vote the same as he were in the states where there are no strict usury laws: South Dakaota and Delaware. Thomas Carper is the Delaware sen who tends to vote the same. Luckily this is an issue that crosses party lines.

I thought you were going back to that whole “Marquette National Bank vs. First of Omaha Corp” thing which set this all in motion. Darn Carter and darn mid-term elections!

JohnB 08/27/2009 8:37pm

When I read how he has voted, I wonder what the people in his district are thinking when they keep putting him in office. I see alot of this in Calif. In my district we have one of the most corrupt congressman, yet people keep voting for him. I always vote every incumbent out.

• Marcy 08/27/2009 8:08pm

Before I was laid off I was one of those people who never really paid attention to any sort of politics. I voted because it was the civic thing to do, not because I thought it would bring about any change. Being out of work for more than a year and a half (argh!) has made me actually think outside of myself and my own backyard. It’s set my little survivalist heart pumping harder. For the first time I am following how my state reps, etc vote and keeping myself informed on what is happening, not just in the states but worldwide.

It just sucks that it took an event so drastic to make people like me wake up and smell the coffee.

• spencir 08/27/2009 8:16pm

gov link on the claim numbers. Reminds me of playing games with a crook, who can hide a Ace of Spades and play it everytime its needed!. 570.000 claims filed last week and the dol continues to show those phony #’s, over 6 Million Americans unemployed, no substantial job creation!!!! Time for a diet Pepsi before I stress out from all this dol.gov

• Serendipity 08/27/2009 8:23pm

Always read your ballot before you vote! Good luck on your new job. Takes a bit of adjustment to get back in the ‘grind’ again, but it’s a good feeling.

WAstateVETERAN 08/28/2009 5:47am

Because evidently there are no laws in place that legally bind a politician to their individual, or conglomerate promises, then voting in it self can become counterproductive toward ones beliefs, and desires.
    In other words, until a law is in place, and until politicians stop lying (especially during campaigns)about their stand on issues, there won’t be any accountability ON EITHER SIDE OF THE ISLE!
    The elected officials aren’t bound to their promise. They can turn a 180% on any issue in the Universe, and no law protects the American people from them doing so!
    This system only works on a basis of moral standards. So, Americans either are voting for the “party”, or voting for the moral standards of an individual and their campaign.
    Chew on that for awhile.

• spencir 08/27/2009 8:31pm

The U.S. Congress will consider extending unemployment benefits after it returns in September to help 1.5 million Americans who risk exhausting them, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on Friday.

“Soon after Congress returns to Washington we’ll need to address this matter,” Reid said. “There is an economic case to be made for extending unemployment benefits.”

The unemployment rate eased to 9.4 percent in July from 9.5 percent the prior month, according to Labor Department data released on Friday. It was the first time the U.S. jobless rate has fallen since April 2008.

JohnB 08/27/2009 8:44pm

If they don’t pass it or if one party blocks it, imagine millions of unemployed with no income. If they thought the recent town hall meetings were loud, just wait. I think they will pass it, just hope they don’t delay it.

Serendipity 08/27/2009 10:06pm

You certainly aren’t helping matters by your senseless talking points.

hretagirl 08/28/2009 11:00am

There you go again…..rude rude & rude!

FLarlene 08/28/2009 4:59am

John B, the Dems have a majority in both houses. Why would they want to block UI benefits? They are the party of social programs, like UI, Social Security, Medicare, etc.

However, if the opposite were true, if the Republicans had control of Congress; they are AGAINST social programs, then the bill would not pass.

I am older than you, I have seen both parties evolve. The Democratic Party from very liberal to a middle of the road party. The Republican Party from a middle of the road party……aka Nelson Rockefeller, Eisenhower – one of my favorite presidents, to a very far far far Right Wing Party.

Again, it is your right to hate both parties, but don’t be a hypocrite. No one owes you a dime. You are surviving because of a SOCIAL PROGRAM called Unemployment Comp. At least own up to that.

You used to be nice.

JohnB 08/28/2009 5:22am

FLarlene: I’m always nice. About the parties, both give with one hand, then take away with the other. I do agree unemployment benefits have a much better chance of passing with the democrats, then the republicans (another reason I don’t like the republicans). I disagree with democrats on court decisions
    and handling of criminals (they are way too soft on them). I am a strong supporter of the death penalty, marriage is only between a man and a woman, and pro life….all of which the democrats oppose.

• FLarlene 08/27/2009 8:47pm

To John B and Serendipity; I respect both your rights to your political opinions.

I also understand that we are all waiting for Congress to re-convene.

That being said, you two and other posters start slinging mud at each other.

To those who want to slug it out, can’t we all just get along?

Play nice.

JohnB 08/27/2009 8:49pm

I have not slung mud at anyone.

Serendipity 08/27/2009 9:50pm

FLarelene,

You and nancym are two posters on this forum I respect. I checked in last night to offer my support to those still seeking employment. I called my congressman and encouraged him to support HR3404. To my dismay and disgust I found JohnB railing on the memory of Senator Kennedy. I found his comments contemptible, callous and totally unnecessary. I spoke my mind.
    Funny, JohnB never mentions the criminal acts of Bush/Cheney that lead us into this devastation. Typical diversion chatter.

I have never found JohnB to be useful contributor to the site. His dogmatic rants against our elected officials are USELESS and perhaps damaging to further legislation beneficial to the unemployed. I have little doubt this forum is monitored.
    I have no horse in this race currently, thank God.
    I wish you and nancym nothing but the best.
    Good luck with the extension.

JohnB 08/28/2009 4:37am

Serendipity: This is called “projecting”. You attack and put down others while at the same time accusing them of doing the same to you, when they clearly have not. People see through this, you only decieve yourself.