H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

Serendipity 08/29/2009 2:35pm

Congrats Robin!

• ohionoeb 08/29/2009 6:31am

RobinSamRyan,

Congrats on your New Job..Keep us inform on how it goes next week ..What state do you live in?..Here in my County (in Ohio) the Unemploymrnt rate is over 14% and Heavly Manufactured Based..Hoping something breaks soon ..I keep looking for all up-dates for the recovery to take off..

Again Congrats on your new job :)

• RobinSamRyan 08/29/2009 6:54am

Thanks Ohionoeb! I am in Central Florida and I just heard on the news that Florida is finally going to start spending some of the stimulus money. It is about time. Florida is a slow place, everything moves at a snails pace here, drive me crazy. Manufacturing has been hit hard all over but especially where you are. Good luck and I will pray for further recovery of our job market. Employers get to pay less these days since what choice do we have but to take jobs that used to pay more. This will also slow the recovery process.

• Patriots 08/29/2009 9:21am

I suppose someone may say that this is somehow controversial. So be it.

I watched the service today for Ted Kennedy. It was beautiful.

I remember when His bill was the one that offered the most help for the unemployed. I remember when he was in the hospital and so many here offered prayers and well wishes to him. I remember when everyone hoped he would be well enough to make it to a Senate debate or vote on unemployment because they knew how powerful of a voice he would be for us and we needed his help. I remember watching cspan and wishing he could be there to roar when some said we didn’t need any extension, it would just make people lazy. We need your voice and your vote again more than ever now.

Thank you Ted.

That is all I will say on this day.

FLarlene 08/29/2009 9:29am

I watched Ted Kennedy’s funeral too. What was most heartwarming was watching those who could have Kennedy’s political enemies, who instead became his friends.

I don’t know all who attended, but I know he and Orin Hatch, John McCain and many other Republicans were his friends. They attended.

The cameras moved too quickly, but I also saw Phil Grahm, amongst many other Republicans.

When Ted Jr. eulogized his dad, one statement draw chuckles from many. “My father taught me to like Republicans.”

nancym 08/29/2009 1:39pm

I share your feelings. History will remember him for the people he has helped.

JohnB 08/29/2009 1:44pm

Not really, he’ll be remembered for what happened to Mary Jo Kopechne,now back to the living and unemployment.

FLarlene 08/29/2009 3:43pm

John B. I absolutely do not like it when people are rude on this board. I will not go into specifics, but you made a comment about Kennedy that should not be on this board. That is your opinion, but why post it here?
    I get it that you are frustrated. You seem like a completely different person that the person who used to post earlier in the year. Totally different person. It is as if you are bitter and it is everyone’s fault but yours. I don’t even read your posts any more because of the tone; in the past your posts were very informative.
    There are untold millions who are unemployed. You are not the only one.
    I disagree with the comment, and consider it something a troll would post.

JohnB 08/29/2009 3:55pm

I was not rude, and there should be any mention of Kennedy’s passing on here, you say what happened the past time people brought it up. Please stick to the topic and stop with the name calling.

JohnB 08/29/2009 3:55pm

there should be NOT any mention of Kennedy’s passing on here

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/29/2009 4:12pm

Ths is about bill HR 3404 and unemployment. The correct place to post comments about Ted Kennedy is
    On comment page 54 of this bill Avelino Maestas posted that it is time for off-topic comments to stop.

JohnB 08/29/2009 4:16pm

Thank you, I agree. I did get into a side discussion about the 2/3 majority for raising taxes in Calif.

Serendipity 08/29/2009 2:09pm

I agree Patriots. Senator Kennedy was a key player in the recent unemployment legislation we have benefitted from. The ground-breaking legislation he authored or co-sponsered is simply astounding and profound.
    I believe it’s incumbent on each and every one of us to participate, peacefully, in our governmental process in some way, big or small, beyond armchair quarterbacking and reliance on the often slanted media reporting.

I got involved in the movement for a Constitutional Convention in California to overturn the chokehold 2/3 majority law it takes to pass a budget as well as other outdated laws so damaging to our state economy. It has and continues to been a rich and rewarding experience. It also opened the door to some great opportunities for me.
    Good luck to all on the extension and your employment prospects.

JohnB 08/29/2009 2:42pm

Do you know why the voters put in the 2/3 majority? We’re you here when that was voted on? Do you remember the voters anger at Sacramento for not controlling spending? You remove the 2/3 majority and politicians will raise taxes at will.

Serendipity 08/29/2009 3:40pm

I’m a native Californian. I’m very familiar with California history. The 2/3 majority chokehold is the single most damaging law on the books. We need to take a hard look at Prop 13 as well.

JohnB 08/29/2009 3:57pm

Tell me, what would you accomplished by eliminating the 2/3 majority? What would there be to stop Sacramento from raising taxes at will?

• me2ct 08/29/2009 12:16pm

hey john2010 , In todays conn. post bus section there is an article about our unemployment situation .According to Nancy Steffens labor dept spokeswoman ,in our little state 6,000 a week are exhausting all their benefits and the number of new filings are averaging 6,000 a week .She says that by creating matching ones skills to a Downsizing firm on the internet will help laid off workers . WTF is that ? a joke ? Our state is in deep s-it and they know it . I hope they get exposed for lying about our numbers , it`s a disgrace .

• JohnB 08/29/2009 1:35pm

Can we please stay on topic.

• CalWoman 08/29/2009 1:40pm

NELP has a great way to contact our represenatives – see below -
    From Sherrie on another blog:
    “All Unemployed: Here is the link for those that don’t have it to nelp.org pre-printed form THEY email for us to our Representatives in Washington to extend the EB (or EUC) asa they return from their summer break, the more of these they get the more they will realize that has to be there first priority!.
    Here is the link: http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/FederalExtension "

Please, let’s all do this, the more the better!

JohnB 08/29/2009 1:55pm

I wonder how Calif is going to pay back the Feds for the borrowed unemployment funds. Our unemployment fund is broke, and going deeper in debt every week. At some time they’ll have to raise the unemployment tax on businesses, which will drive them out of the state…a vicious cycle.
    If the state would just allow off shore drilling, they could easily restore the money and we’ll be fine again.

• Serendipity 08/29/2009 2:30pm

There are many ways to bring in additional revenue to California without further destruction to our environment and wildlife. Offshore drilling is not the answer.

• Moderated Comment

• Moderated Comment

Issy5409 08/30/2009 5:36pm

This post is similar to the “shock value” posts on 6867. It’s the same troll who uses a multitude of poster names and tries to write like different people. For instance, “spencir” types with a large number of spelling and grammatical errors one post, then changes to appropriate writing with other posts. The 7110 story isn’t believable, isn’t true, and is troll bait to get reactive attention.

I hope the above post gets moderated/removed.

JohnB 08/30/2009 6:20pm

I agree, which is why I really wouldn’t respond to it. The person was just baiting.

• nancym 08/29/2009 6:28pm

For God’s sake, will some of you just wake up for a minute here! This forum, as well as 6867, has never been strictly about 3404 (or 6867 before this). It has been about those bills, but the reason there were over 57,000 comments back on 6867 more than six months after it passed was because it had also become a gathering of people going through common hard times.

The type of comments that are not welcome here (and I’ve even asked the moderator to step in at times myself) are not simply comments that are off-topic, but rather inflammatory remarks and rude comments, the ones that lead to pages of angry back and forth that put everyone off coming here, when it should be a bit of a refuge from the alienation that comes with being unemployed.

If someone feels sad about a state funeral, the appropriate thing to do at a funeral is to respect not only the dead, but those who are grieving. (JohnB, you say you taught Sunday school; I would think you’d be familiar with that concept.)

nancym 08/29/2009 6:29pm

And if someone is in a fix caused by being broke and unemployed so that they can’t pay the electric bill, or meet a due date for a scheduled payment, or have to say good-bye to the family pets, then I’m not going to be silent while someone posts a nitpicking comment about “off-topic.”

The problem is not “off-topic,” the problem is being rude, baiting, or disrespectful.

I think everyone is going off the deep end a bit here, waiting while absolutely nothing is happening with legislation that can be life-changing for many of us. It’s easy to lose perspective about our own self-worth when we get nothing but rejection from the job market. But don’t take it out on others here. Remember who you were before this misery started.

nancym 08/29/2009 6:29pm

Personally, I can’t take it here now; I’ll be back after Congress comes back from recess. For the last few weeks this forum has added more stress than it has relieved. There’s nothing more to say about 3404 at this point.

Enjoy your Labor Day week, everyone. (What an ironic holiday name at this time.) I’m outta here for now.

FLarlene 08/29/2009 8:03pm

Nancy, I hope you come back to read…..we always have the Unemployed Florida blog to post at.

JOHN B. YOU ARE NOT THE MODERATOR OF THE BOARD. I cannot take it here any longer also.

You are an unmitigated jerk. Bye.

FLarlene 08/29/2009 8:27pm

I forgot to add, you are one of the biggest bullies I have ever seen on any website. I, too, have spoken to Avelino about the tone here……last evening I sent him a message. I will be back when and if Nancy M does. She is the voice of reason here.
    If she doesn’t return, I have no reason to post here either.