H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

hretagirl 08/28/2009 11:01am

And I agree!!!!

• ohionoeb 08/28/2009 12:19am
    Many analysts think that the government’s $787 billion economic stimulus plan and the Cash for Clunkers program to boost car purchases will lift GDP growth to around 2 percent in the current July-September quarter

Question is ..

What kind of GDP Growth will we have ..when the Goverment quits spending Billions to boost the GDP?

msnbc.com GDP declines 1 percent, better than expected

• ohionoeb 08/28/2009 12:33am

As if we don’r have enough to worry about..

Why the deficit will raise taxes

“Taxes would rise to levels that would make a Scandinavian revolt. And the government would not be able to provide anything but the most basic public services. We would no longer be a great power (or even a mediocre one), and the social safety net would evaporate,”

cnn money.com Why the deficit will raise taxes

• spencir 08/28/2009 5:05am

MY FREINDS

If the extension gets passed it will BE EUC not EB !!!

• spencir 08/28/2009 5:32am

The confusion stems from conflating EUC with EB. The new 13 weeks is not EB. It is “additional EUC”. This is from the link JM originally posted from McDermott’s website. I read the text of the law and it is consistent with the blurb from his website that we are getting another 13 if it is passed. Read the last paragraph.

JohnB 08/28/2009 5:38am

If it’s EUC, that means, at least here in Calif, we won’t have to keep a record of our job search or fill out the back of the claim form.

• ohionoeb 08/28/2009 6:37am

RE:The U.S. Congress will consider extending unemployment benefits after it returns in September to help 1.5 million Americans who risk exhausting them, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on Friday.

CONSIDER? extending unemployment benefits should have passed before they recessed!!!!

No wonder his approval rating is down by 11 percentage points

Reid remain unpopular in Nevada, he would be clobbered in next fall’s election by either of two potential Republican challengers.

Poll: Either GOP challenger could topple Harry Reid

www.lasvegassun.com/…/2009/aug/…/poll-either-gop-challenger-could-topple-harry-reid/ -

FLarlene 08/28/2009 8:29am

Ohioneb, the bill will be passed. Regarding Reed, why not get more Republicans in congress.
    While hating the Dems, many consider Unemployment Insurance their right.
    I want to scream when I hear people stating they had money pulled out of their paychecks for UI. The money taken out of paychecks for UI is for people already on the program, much like Social Security. Since most who are screaming at the party while accepting benefits, that is laughable.

I disagree with some of the Democratic platforms; however since the Republican Party is the party of racists, homophobes, and very angry whites……..Who actually think that Hannity is a newscaster, who condone the Nazi like in their party who want Obama dead, who are in bed big time with Corporate America, I chose the lesser of two evils.
    The Republican Party has become so poisonous and hateful, lets go back and give them more power.
    Dear God Almighty, if people only had a brain.

JohnB 08/28/2009 9:35am

FLarlene: As I said, I hate both parties, a pox on both their houses. If you’re refering to me about the unemployment, I never said it came out of my check, it did come from the company I worked for. That money could have been included in my check.
    The republicans are shooting themselves in the foot. Here in Calif they wanted to stop Independents from voting in the republican primaries!!!! They want only republicans to vote for republicans. LOL IDIOTS.

FLarlene 08/28/2009 10:17am

John B, we are all frustrated because we are on the short end of the stick, as always. From me: A pox, a mega pox on the heathens with golden parachutes aka Corporate America’s chosen gilded cage few.

NancyB, I went to pay my Progress Energy bill,and yes they are affiliated with Florida Power and Light.

I was never able to get payment arrangements any more. While I was standing in line to pay my bill, I spoke to a young pregnant woman who has a child with breathing difficulties.

She has had a perfect payment history but Progress will not give her payment extensions. This heathen Gestapo Monopoly has raised our rates stating they need to build another power plant. For whom?

There has not been an outflux of people from Florida since the 1960s. Progress Energy’s stock has gone down………so they raise our rates.

This is one of the reasons I am on a rant today. Charlie, hello, stop running for senator, we need a governor for the little guy.

nancym 08/28/2009 10:23am

I think we can ALL safely rant about corporate America here. If that isn’t intimately related to unemployment, I don’t know what is!

Not sure if this was posted here earlier—did you hear on the news something about how the utilities commission asked FPL to reveal their corporate salaries recently when they asked for a rate increase? Not sure what the outcome of that was.

GonzoFL 08/28/2009 7:33pm

Nancy: Last I heard about FPL and the corporate salaries was that FPL was considering the request….what a laugh.

JohnB 08/28/2009 10:24am

I just hope no one on either side uses this bill for political gain. If they fail to pass it or if it’s delayed it will create a ripple effect.
    They really need to bring manufacturing back to the U.S. That’s what got us out of the depression and all the recessions.
    We’ll know in about 2 weeks.

VLeichsenring 08/28/2009 10:27am

Flarlene, The energy company here in Nevada, NV Energy, has done the same thing here. The asked for a rate hike 2 months ago and received it and now they are asking for another rate hike. NV Energy says “It is for building another power plant”. I could have sworn that these energy companies where receiving stimulus money for that?

• ohionoeb 08/28/2009 7:00am
    And Pelosi doesn’t seem to be doing well either in the polls:

July 17, 2009

Americans continue to view Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi more unfavorably than favorably, 48% vs. 32%

Pelosi’s Image Still Negative, Boehner Not Widely Known
    www.gallup.com/…/pelosi-image-negative-boehner-not-widely-known.aspx

Both Reid and Pelosi are up for re-election this year..

• ronaand 08/28/2009 7:09am

doesn’t matter how pelosi is viewed by americans, only her congressional district
    she has provided enough jobs and pork throughout the years that they love her

• ohionoeb 08/28/2009 7:13am

That sentiment might nave change since she said the phrase…"UN-AMERICAN

• dispaced2007 08/28/2009 8:24am

I had a interview yesterday morning, its part time, weekend hours, no bennies and pays 1/3rd less an hour compared to my prior job, but I am so hoping to get a call today for 2nd interview. At least a part time job would be better than nothing.

This is my last week of EB. I’m so tired of this roller coaster.

Marcy 08/28/2009 12:18pm

Good luck on getting the second interview!

bl5 08/28/2009 3:06pm

Best of luck!

• VLeichsenring 08/28/2009 9:16am

JennyB- Congratulations on finding a job! Finding a job in this day and age is like looking for a needle in a haystack. You would think that in a country as rich in resources as the USA, that it would be a persons fundamental right to have a job. As human beings we should all the right of make a living — but it has been reduced to a privilege.

• johnj2010 08/28/2009 9:45am

excluding CT

THIS BILL DOES NOTHING FOR US IN CT-UNLESS NELP HELPS US OUT!! For some unknown reason CT Labor keeps changing numbers around. Supposedly we are about at 7.8% (which is untrue) and was screwed out of the last 7 weeks of EB-

Now if this bill even passes with 8.5% we wont even qualify for nothing-

Most of us have been without anthing since July 25th & continue to struggle!!

I still would like to know how all the surrounding states ny,nj,ma,ri,pa U/E Rates are all high & we are below when there are NO jobs here.

HopefromCA 08/28/2009 9:53am

johnj2010,
    I feel that with more houses going into foreclosure all across United States that and less and less consumers spending money there will be more layoffs coming. Latest data that I have just for California says that price of houses still need to come down so with all this going on I see CT unemployment going up unless CT keeps taking more unemployed drawing insurance off the list than they put on the unemployment list.

Looks like housing prices still need to come down further to meet affordability.

Housing price/income ratio data

Scroll down to the graph of California: Medium Home price vs Medium Household income

johnj2010 08/28/2009 10:10am

hopefromCA

They claim we dropped 3500 off the list – now when I called ctlabor the “nice lady” TOLD me on the “QT” that the numbers will probably be lower because a lot of us that are done with the 13 weeks of EB aren’t being counted

The next day they had an alert on there web page saying "It wont be known till Late AUGUST IF WE QAULIFY – right there I knew we were done

JohnB 08/28/2009 10:29am

HopefromCA, thanks for the link. The banks are going to shoot themselves in the foot too. They won’t deal with people behind on their payments and are quick to foreclose. They upped the interest rates, cut back on credit, which will force more people into bankruptcy…it’s an endless cycle.

• Avelino_Maestas 08/28/2009 10:10am

OK all — time for the personal attacks and off-topic comments to stop. I’m gonna start banning IP address real quick.

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/28/2009 10:54am

Good! I see by the moderated comments that I wasn’t the only one who disapproved. I don’t know why these unemployment bill sites always degenerate into name-calling things. It gives a bad view of the unemployed and I don’t blame OpenCongress for taking this bill off the front page.

JohnB 08/28/2009 11:00am

NoGoodOnesLeft: I agree, I don’t like name the calling either and avoid it. The bill is off the front page? I didn’t see that.

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/28/2009 11:03am

It was a hot bill on the front page but isn’t anymore even though it should be #4.

JohnB 08/28/2009 11:05am

That may be because it hasn’t been introduced yet. It should be back on the front page once congress is back.