H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

• johnj2010 08/01/2009 7:51pm

• johnj2010 08/01/2009 7:52pm

All states should receive the 13 week extension- Forget the 9% TUR

• johnj2010 08/01/2009 7:58pm

Where are the reject republicans? Why can’t one of them try to fight for us?

Because they don’t care!!!!!!!

13 across the board – additional 13 for rates of 9% or higher!!

abaratar 08/02/2009 8:36am

Do you know how a bill becomes a law?
    A member of the HOuse proposes bill, The leader of the house (Pelosi) calls for a vote if it receives a majority vote the leader of the senate(Reid) calls for a vote if a majority votes in favor of the bill in the senate it goes to the president(Obama) if the president signs it or does not veto it for a period of time it becomes a law.

Please explain what republicans have to do with this process. There is no reason for republicans to even be in Washington, they can not call for or prevent a vote, there are not enough of them to vote down any bill.
    So john why don’t we have an extension of unemployment benefits?

bninfl 08/15/2009 3:25am

good point if the republicans aren’t in control of anything, aren’t enough to stop or call a vote, do anything, and the democrats are running everything… what do the republicans have to do with anything now? he still wont answer the question. maybe we will just hear again how bush caused all this? well bush aint here right now. other people are in power. do you like the changes? hell i dont sure looks like its getting worse to me.

FLarlene 08/15/2009 5:12am

Bninfl, I don’t think that Obama has a magic wand to heal this economy with just the snap of his fingers. Mild recessions cycle through.

I really invite you to watch the PBS documentary Frontline Inside the meltdown.

Hank Paulson, whom I have much more respect for since I watched this documentary, played moral hazard when Lehman Brothers failed. He was so disgusted because he and Bernacke had to rescue Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and before that Bear Stearns (bought out by Chase). They went to Capitol Hill to ask for the bailout. When they told the Finance Committee the seriousness of the problem, all the air was sucked from the room. The first vote on the bail out was not passed. That day, the markets fell over six hundred points.

We almost went into a Great Depression. I understand that. And we are supposed to be on firm financial footing now?

Jans1116 09/09/2009 1:59am

Please, they are the ones making the noise.

• johnj2010 08/01/2009 8:13pm

CT will never get to 9% as long as a Republican governor is in control!!!

Look what they are doing to us now 8.0 No 7 weeks of EB – In May a gain of 3,600 jobs the rate went up, June a loss of 4500 jobs the rate stayed the same? Unreal!!

While the surrounding states ny,nj,pa,ri,ma are all above 8% U/E – It doesn’t make sense!!!

As far as the new bill for 9% tur we’ll NEVER get there You do the math!!

jgallop 08/02/2009 5:37am

I think if the republicans have half a brain with elections coming up in 2010 they will be for this extension, who will be elgible for this?

abaratar 08/02/2009 8:41am

Please explain how the republicans could be at fault for there being no extension of unemployment. Who’s fault is it?

bninfl 08/15/2009 9:58am

maybe john doesn’t know what a majority is or means lol???? its up to the majority to help us at this point unfortunately – which is NOT republicans, although they have also been supportive in some cases. so why john keeps blathering on about where are the republicans… i say where is the action on the democrats part – the majority – the people who actually can do something lol?

bninfl 08/15/2009 9:56am

john you really need to learn how a bill becomes law. this republican you keep bringing up has NOTHING to do with what obama or the democrats can do to help us right now. republicans are not in control what so ever. who cares if you have a republican gov. trust me he aint running the show nor is he the reason we are in this mess right now. the way you keep mentioning republicans this and that, you should just start posting “the earth is flat” maybe you will get further?

johnj2010 08/23/2009 1:37pm

BNINFL

Hint: Votes!!

FLarlene 08/27/2009 10:36am

Johnj2010, a must read for those who think Obama is a heathen:

They need to understand that the Republican Party was once a middle of the road party.

But starting with Reagan, his class warfare, his trickle down economic theory, the middle class’s back was broken.

Always, Republicans are pro corporations. Without question. Trickle down economics destroyed the middle class. The wealthiest did not spend their tax cuts so that the $$$$$$$$ would well, trickle down. The middle class was stuck with much of the tax burden.

What we now need is someone like Presidents Taft and Roosevelt to start trust busting.

Until corporations release their stranglehold on every one of us, except for the wealthy, we will be in the same sad state, year after year, complaining how we can’t make ends meet, while the gilded live in their golden cages. Nothing will change.

nancym 08/27/2009 1:15pm

This is true. FLarlene, we are of the same approx age and have seen the same progression. I have had more anger for corporate America than I ever had for the Republican party. I grew up in Maine, where Republicans ruled through most of my childhood and early adult life. Then they switched back and forth for a while, but the remaining Republicans for the most part still held with the earlier Republican beliefs that were based more on people like Rockefeller and Eisenhower than on people like Karl Rove and climbers like Tom Delay.

Notice how it’s the Republicans from Maine who are more often the ones willing to sit down and talk with the other side, who are fiscally conservative, but also have humane attitudes regarding social needs, like Susan Collins and Senator Snowe.

nancym 08/27/2009 1:15pm

If the Republican party had stuck more with its earlier ideals, who knows, I might have ended up a Republican today, but so many of its members got so hypnotized by their new corporate connections to great wealth that they really lost their way both as politicians and as human beings, leaving many no choice but to go with the opposing party. The doors that were opened ever wider to corporate influence eventually infected both parties and the media to such an extent that it became the expected route to wealth for many—go to Washington, whether by election or as a lobbyist, and make a bundle.

I do not automatically recoil when I see an R after a person’s name— sometimes that recoil comes after they start speaking— but I am always willing to see if and when the Republican party might begin again to actually represent the ideals that it has only mechanically mouthed these last many years.

JohnB 08/27/2009 1:52pm

The same could be said about the democrats, they are no better then the republicans. A pox on both their houses.

abaratar 09/07/2009 9:17pm

John said "If you followed congress from s2544 then you will understand what I’m talking about-On that note go do some research with abaratar & then you’ll know why I’m against Republicans. "

I can understand why you are against republicans but that does not make it ok for you to be a babbling fool or to lie. I was also mad that republicans drew a line in the sand and refused to extend unemployment till the rate was 6.5% but at least that had a trigger point and they extended unemployment every time it hit 6.5% starting in 2001. The only time their was not an extension when the unemployment rate exceeded 6.5% was when it was blocked by democrats.

Why are you not not mad at Democrats for not extending unemployment last year until after the election, the democrats wouldn’t even allow for a vote on extending unemployment benefits after the president said he would sign it?

abaratar 09/07/2009 9:31pm

Why are you not against the people that will not extend unemployment benefits now? Why are you not against people that gave billions for people to buy new cars but let the unemployed go homeless? Please try to make your opinion make sence.

You are mad at people who helped you but not soon enough(understandable it should have happened at 6% not 6.5%) but you are not mad at people that refuse to help you at all? You are not mad at people that will only help people in states with an unemployment rate at over 9% yet you are mad at the people that waited to help till the unemployment rate was 6.5%?

What is the point of your negative posts? are you trying to deflect blame form the the people that can help you but refuse too?

I am against the Klingons, the devil, the AID, and the Dalis Cowboys but nun of them have anything to do with extending unemployment so why should I talk about them in this thread?

abaratar 09/07/2009 10:00pm

Unemployed workers ‘’need our assistance in these difficult times, and we cannot let them down,’’

‘’I have shared these concerns with the leaders of the House and the Senate, and they understand the need for early action,’’ he said. ‘’When our legislators return to the Capitol, I ask them to make the extension of unemployment benefits a first order of business. And the benefits they approve should be retroactive, so that people who lose their benefits this month will be paid in full.’’

Obama did not say that a republican did!!!!! http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/15/us/bush-calls-for-an-extension-of-unemployment-benefits.html

Why won’t Obama do something like that? Please defend him! If 6.5%was high enough for “Hitler” to call for extending unemployment benefits for everyone one why is 9.7% not high enough for Obama?

• ronaand 08/02/2009 5:13am

if anyone needs a good laugh, look up the session schedule for both the senate and the house
    this people take more vacations than johnny carson used to
    we should propose that they be paid on a per diem basis, with prorated benefits – such as health care at the local maryland/virginia county facility

bninfl 08/15/2009 3:25am

agree

• jgallop 08/02/2009 5:19am

The feds aren’t missing a beat on ways to screw people getting the TUR right now, I was screwed out of 10 weeks because I received a settlement that was owed me back in 07. They paid me and took 10 weeks of TUR away from me in MI.

• jgallop 08/02/2009 6:01am

There should definitely be an additional extension for 13+26 weeks, the economy is in shambles. I stopped by the Toyota dealer to smell the inside of the new cars and the salesman said I would qualify for CFC and I haven’t worked in 1 3/4 years.. Unreal I see repo city after this is all over with ..

unemployed2007 08/02/2009 6:49am

JGallop. I’m from MI too. Isn’t qualifying for CFC different from qualifying for a loan? That’s a separate issue, right? I admit I haven’t looked much into “Cash for Clunkers”.

Sorry about what happened with you be screwed out of 10 weeks. I had a labor claim from my previous employer whom didn’t pay 4 weeks of my wages. I told the labor department when the money comes in that it might screw up my unemployment. Well, she said to not claim it. 1) The money came in from AP checks so I ended up getting a 1099 end of year. The claim from Mi labor ended up going to the Attorney General. The company is insolvent now so I got screwed out of my remaining 2 weeks owed. Sucks!

• abaratar 08/02/2009 8:25am

There is support for an unemployment extension from republicans, the Obama administration does not want to consider an extension until year end he want to wait for his stimulus to work.
    “The Obama administration may have to look at extending unemployment benefits toward the end of the year to deal with a stubbornly high jobless rate and the looming expiration of aid to more than a million unemployed people.”

“I think that is something that the administration and Congress are going to look very carefully at as we get closer to the end of this year,” Geithner said
    “He can count on some Republican support. Republican Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina told “Fox News Sunday” he would “definitely support” extension of aid to the unemployed."

nancym 08/02/2009 8:31am

September IS “toward the end of the year.”

unemployed2007 08/02/2009 8:36am

I can’t remember where I read this – re: HR3404, it was quoted that the administration was in support of extending benefits. I’ll have to find it.

It’s interesting about Jim DeMint. He might want to get on SC’s governor and ask him to accept TUR. SC is still without it’s 7 weeks.

abaratar 08/02/2009 8:57am

Thats the stuff that pisses me off (not you) if the administration “supports” an extension why won’t they provide an extension?

abaratar 08/02/2009 9:04am

“I barrack obama support an extension of unemployment benefits but please nobody in the majority democrat house or representatives propose a bill to provide an extension and please democrat majority leader in the house Pelosi don’t allow for a vote on an extension and please majoity leader Reid of the senate do not allow for a vote on extended unemployment and I will not sign an extension of unemployment but I am in support of extending unemployment”

(that’s not a real quote I made it up)

I am annoyed, the people gave the democrats a majority so they could get things done they don;t seem to care any more about us then the republicans did, Bushy provided us with more unemployment benefits then obama.