H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

nancym 08/03/2009 6:42pm

Last year I wanted to buy a new replacement battery for my ancient Black and Decker Dustbuster. The guy at the repair store said it would cost more than a new one, so better to buy a new one. I threw the old one in the trash. Stupid thing to do. The new Chinese one is barely usable, I’d say it’s more trouble to use than not, since it blows the dust into your face as you’re cleaning. Stupidest clunkiest design you can imagine. And don’t get me started about the two irons I bought that leak all over the place. I try to find Canadian if I can’t find American. That is, back when I was actually buying anything at all.

• Patriots 08/03/2009 5:15pm

We can’t even build a damn plane or ship on our own anymore without foreign parts and tools.

WTF!

• Patriots 08/03/2009 5:22pm

I guess I made my point here. Things are really screwed up. That’s a fact.

What the hell are we going to do now, that is the big challenge for us now.

• Patriots 08/03/2009 5:51pm

I needed something to help lift me out of all of this “reality” that I have posted.

I found this interesting one. I like it.

Good night, and take care everyone.

• marine 08/03/2009 6:07pm

Patriots,
    I believe Black & Decker own Dewalt.
    I have been in the NWLBfor about 6 months now. Two years of free College in a field that is a job in-demand. There is a waiting list now to get in the program and I hear they are running out of money. This next part should interest you like it did me. My Coordinator(NWLB) told me that all of these programs/training is a “Crap Shoot” because we don’t know what jobs might be available. We lost our manufacturing base that normally would spin off other jobs. The Auto’s from Detroit spun off part suppliers. She said we need to get back some trade/field back from overseas and have jobs created from it.
    Take Care
    Jim

• marine 08/03/2009 6:13pm

Patriots
    sorry-the above post was based on 2 years from now and this is Mi. My coordinator also is scare because she has kids in college and she fears civil unrest. She is also afraid her kids won’t find work here.
    jim

• HopefromCA 08/03/2009 7:49pm

Patriots
    “I have been seriously thinking about canceling our internet service, so we could save the $70 a month”.

Isn’t there a DSL internet service cheaper than $70.00 in your area?

• brunettenextdoor 08/03/2009 8:01pm

Hopefromca try dslextreme. I had ATT but the cost was killing me. Dslextreme runs 12.95-29.95 depending on the dsl speed you use and they include a free modem. I’ve had it 3 months now and had no issues so far. Here is the link https://www.dslextreme.com/Services/Internet/DSL/Default.aspx

HopefromCA 08/03/2009 8:32pm

brunettenextdoor,
    Thanks for the information on Dslextreme. Do they make you sign a contract for a year?

brunettenextdoor 08/04/2009 11:54pm

No you have an option to do month to month or yearly. Slighly cheaper for yearly.

• unemployed2007 08/04/2009 3:25am

CPQ Politics article RE: HR3404

New Etension of Jobless Benefits Likely

A new push from the Obama administration over the weekend may aid lawmakers in their efforts to pass an extension of unemployment benefits following the August recess.

Leaders of the House Ways and Means Committee have begun working to craft an extension of unemployment insurance benefits before Sept. 30, when many workers will have exhausted both their regular and extended jobless benefits. MORE

unemployed2007 08/04/2009 4:49am

MORE excerpts from above article.

Extending unemployment benefits “is something that the administration and Congress are going to look very carefully at as we get closer to the end of this year,” Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner told George Stephanopoulos on ABC’s This Week on Sunday.

But the details have not been resolved.

“That’s what we’re working on now,” said Rep. Charles B. Rangel , D-N.Y., chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, which would be first to consider an extension of unemployment benefits. The committee is expected to take up legislation on the issue soon after the August recess.

Contact Rangel – http://rangel.house.gov/contact-form.html
    BTW, You will get an out of office reply from the House Ways and Means contact form so I did not post that here.

• BrokeInOhio 08/04/2009 3:46am

This is my LAST week of EB.. Is anyone else running out? Not real sure what I am going to do. It’s a long way until Mid sept when and if the new extension passes. Even if it does there is always a long wait for Ohio to update their system to issue payments.

unemployed2007 08/04/2009 3:51am

I run out the last week of August. End of September is too long. They better pass this immediately following recess. Yes, there will also be a delay at the state level :(

need2know 08/04/2009 6:47am

MD here, and I ran out 2 weeks ago, while trying to continue paying rent and utilities. Why is it so hard to see that many of us all over the country are having difficult time of locating work? I am happy for those who have had successful endeavors, not having to lose what they have grown accustomed to. But there are so many others of us who have no clue what to do, how to live without any help or work.

• nancym 08/04/2009 6:34am

IMPORTANT: new press release from NELP (www.nelp.org)

If NELP has any sway with Congress beyond their original call for an extension of benefits, maybe the states with less than 9% have a chance. NELP is promoting a sort of “sliding scale” extension, a minimum of 10 weeks for ALL states, and up to 20 weeks for states over 11% (currently 7 states at that level).

Who knows if this idea will fly, but it’s certainly more fair than this current bill, and something concrete that we can suggest to our reps in Congress.

Possible negatives—if the total cost from the CBO came in at an unacceptable figure for the votes on such a plan, it could delay the whole thing. And if implemented, we all know how complex it was for some ancient state computers to figure out simple EB—god knows how long it would take to implement anything more complicated!

unemployed2007 08/04/2009 7:41am

Nancy, thank you for posting!

• ohionoeb 08/04/2009 6:48am

Tuesday, August 4, 2009
    Washington’s Blog: The Real Economy Versus the Make-Believe World

In the real economy, unemployment is at Depression-era levels

georgewashington2.blogspot.com/…/real-economy-versus-fake-economy-of.html

• NoGoodOnesLeft 08/04/2009 7:17am

Nancy, whatever happened with that credit card arbitration thing?

nancym 08/04/2009 8:06am

NoGoodOnesLeft—

Thanks for asking, I hope you don’t have a similar situation brewing. Sorry, I remember you posting an earlier reply, but don’t remember if it was about Capital One.

It was actually a big relief, to a point. It’s a long story, and I did speak at length with that person who posted her phone number online from her 2007 experience. I’m sure every person’s situation and every case handling is different, but after speaking with her (her name is also Nancy), I was prepared to fight all the way, but warned myself to take it all as calmly as I could. (I’ll post her link if anyone needs it.)

I prepared a 1-page Excel list of all my basic expenses and pitiful income and less than pitiful assets. I also wrote a less than one-page further explanation about how I came to be in my current situation and what the prospects were for more income or lack of when UI benefits ran out in a few months.

nancym 08/04/2009 8:06am

Rather than sit down with a mediator (btw, I think most of the few dozen or so cases were for Capital One that session, if not all), I was called up first before the judge with the collection agency’s attorney next to me. The judge read my statement and basically said “wow—ya work all your life it it comes to this, eh?” (paraphrasing a longer conversation). He was sympathetic and glanced at the lawyer after seeing that not only did I have no income lined up, but I also had student loans and the IRS lined up before them; he said “you’re not going to get much!”—The lawyer didn’t say much, didn’t even want my statement copies, and I was sent home with the judge saying, well, when you get a job, give these people a call, ok?

nancym 08/04/2009 8:07am

Bottom line, the case is not dismissed officially by the court or by the collection agency, but they know now it is pointless to try to get blood out a rock, at least for the immediate future.

Moral: be prepared, concise (I know that’s a weakness of mine!), contain emotions, and also—dress nicely to show respect for the court. :)

unemployed2007 08/04/2009 8:30am

Nancy,

Would you mind posting that link? I don’t have a suit pending(just yet). But, I would like to be prepared.

Thanks for your help.

nancym 08/04/2009 8:38am

See link I just posted, plus I just found the original post I referred to:

Her case got so complicated that after signing the papers in the mediation she ended up after a few years with the original $700 bill escalating to over $4000; it was ridiculous. I got from her that under no circumstances should I sign any papers in the mediation (in effect, signing a judgment against yourself), unless of course you have a job and lots of assets that you think you would lose the case in a trial. (In my case I was able to avoid all that, for now.)

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/04/2009 9:05am

Thanks Nancy. That is more or less what the bankruptcy lawyer had told me. That they wouldn’t get anything since I have nothing. Good to know he was right. I only stopped paying my CCs about 3 or 4 months ago so I don’t think I have to worry about them taking me to court for at least a few months. There is always the possiblilty that I will get a good job before then but I am facing the fact that I will be lucky if I get a job that pays me the same as I get from unemployment benefits which means the CC co.s still wouldn’t get anything.

unemployed2007 08/04/2009 12:31pm

Thank you! I will check out the link!

• NoGoodOnesLeft 08/04/2009 7:21am

Flyr08, are you still around? I think it was about 2 weeks ago you posted that you got a notice about the 20 weeks of EB. I still haven’t received that. Did you get it in the mail? We used to have a good mailman who came at the same time everyday. The last few weeks we have had one who sucks. You never know when he is going to come or even if he is going to come (he skips days), you get mail for different people, you get stuff that was mailed weeks ago and sometimes you don’t get things at all that were mailed to you.

• nancym 08/04/2009 8:29am

I guess I should reiterate that everyone’s case is of course different, as well as every state has different laws and guidelines about mediation, court, credit, etc. If you find yourself having to deal with this sort of thing, check out http://www.ripoffreport.com/

That’s where I found someone who had dealt with the same company. Use caution of course, since most of these reports are not from lawyers, just mainly personal experiences. But if you have to deal with court or creditors you need to go in with your eyes open.

• nancym 08/04/2009 8:53am

I just used the handy-dandy tool on your right that says “Write Your Representative” to quickly find the local phone number of my Congressman, who just happens to be on the House Ways and Means Committee. (You have to put in your +4 zip for it to work.) I then called to advocate for what NELP is proposing as a fairer alternative to Rep. McDermott’s bill, a sliding scale for the extension re number of weeks.

Since the House is on recess now, you can also visit the local offices and the rep might even be there in some cases, or you can tell the staff your opinions.

I don’t know if NELP’s alternate plan would break any budget plans on this or not, but even high rate states would benefit by advocating for the lower rate states, since NELP argues for 20 weeks for those states over 11%.

• unemployed2007 08/04/2009 12:32pm