H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

• johnj2010 08/07/2009 4:46am

For Ct

After last months numbers & what happen today I guess we should expect the July number to be @ 7.9 or lower in CT screwing us again for the 7 weeks of EB.

• johnj2010 08/07/2009 5:00am

Good Post from AOL (2 parts)

The only reason the figures are so called down is that people have dropped off the unemployment benefit roles and are not counted. Also it is a reflection that employers have no one else to fire! Next step, business closed! They tout that wages went up, really, or could it be that since there are no more workers, only the higher paying management is still employed? Yeah, duh, managers do make more than the average worker so if they don’t have as many workers, the average pay at companies are higher, only makes sense and a play on statics!

• johnj2010 08/07/2009 5:01am

They claim so many new jobs are being created. They qouted that 125k new jobs have been created but with over 300k becoming unemployed, that should equate to an increase in net unemployment or am I missing something here? . So we should jump for joy because for every one job created, we loose three? So what about that equals improvement? Also what are these so called jobs, telemarketing, fast food, construction? Really, so great, we are employing mostly illegals at the expense of citizens! Thank you lord Obama, I feel much better knowing the illegals are making a buck while the rest of Americans are losing their homes and living on the overly generous unemployment benefits you are granting us! I’m sleeping better at night now because of the great work you are doing!

dlh 08/07/2009 5:16am

I completely agree with you johnj2010… I have been saying this for months! At some point businesses will begin hitting their “skeleton crew” level to just keep the doors open!!! When they begin laying off them, you are correct, businesses will start to close down. I fear, we are a LONG way from this being over. The cash for clunkers is another disaster I fear will affect our economy (although I’m hoping not). I fear people are buying these cars (like in the housing) because of the tax credit. But what happens if they lose their jobs or can’t afford the car notes a year down the road? Will we have to bail the banks out again? Congress is completely missing the point here…. Negative job losses is NOT positive, no matter how they twist it!!

• dispaced2007 08/07/2009 6:11am

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate on Tuesday passed a $124.3 billion agriculture spending bill that pays to add millions of people to the food stamp rolls as rising numbers of the jobless are forced into the program.

full story:

• ohionoeb 08/07/2009 6:12am

Aug 7, 2009
    Congress May Extend Unemployment Benefits

The U.S. Congress will consider extending unemployment benefits when it returns to work in September, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on Friday.

www.cnbc.com/id/32329834

• NoGoodOnesLeft 08/07/2009 6:48am

The unemployment rate fell even as employers continued to cut jobs because the Labor Department estimated there were 237,000 fewer people it counted as unemployed.
    That decline in the labor force can be due to discouraged job seekers who have stopped looking for work, people who now consider themselves retired or those have gone back to school rather than applying for jobs.
    “You can’t lose jobs and have the unemployment rate decline unless folks are opting out,” said Tig Gilliam, CEO of Adecco Group North America, a unit of the world’s largest employment staffing firm. “That means unemployment is going to go back up again.”

dlh 08/07/2009 8:18am

I completely agree… I, for one, am part of those “not counted” because benefits ran out July. However, thank goodness, PA has extended EB and I will be able to collect 7 more weeks. Does anyone know if the state that had people run out over the past few weeks and who passes the 7 week extension, will they show up for August? I worked for my company 8 years and in December 2007 they called 200 people at home on Sunday afternoon and said “we’re cutting back, so don’t report tomorrow. We’ll mail you’re stuff.” Some of my friends worked for this company 20+ years!! I believe the problem I’m having finding a job is my age (50’s). But that’s just my opinion…..

need2know 08/07/2009 9:08am

DLH, I feel the same you do as far as age, because I am 51, and have never had a problem locating a job. I was with my former company 8 years, as well, before receiving the call on a Friday afternoon, November 2007. My benefits ran out last month, and MD does not provide any other extensions, even though the true number of unemployment rate is higher that what is made visual. I am happy that your state recognizes how difficult it is for their workers.

marine 08/07/2009 9:36am

dlk
    I’m in my 50’s and I had two good jobs I was shooting for. One in my sister’s company and one in a company I worked for in the 80’s & 90’s. I know for a Fact that my age kept me from consideration. Now I went back to college because of many differ reasons and I’m not sure how many working years I have left. I wonder other than contract work how many years a company would consider a bare min to hired me.
    The one thing I do know is that the streets are getting rough. My wife has been trying to help the neighbor with food and advice. The husband just lost his wife(32 yr.old) and has 3 kids-no job.
    Jim

• dispaced2007 08/07/2009 7:59am

This is a good read – For all the relief over the jobless figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics Friday morning — 247,000 jobs were lost in July, far fewer than economists had expected — a dark problem lurks in the numbers: dangerously high levels of long-term unemployment in America.

• dispaced2007 08/07/2009 8:03am

White House sees unemployment hitting 10 percent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The White House said on Friday it still expected the U.S. unemployment rate to hit 10 percent this year, despite new jobless figures showing a drop in unemployment in July compared to the previous month.

• MIbumer 08/07/2009 9:28am

From CNN: Quick Vote

Now that President Obama has signed off on more cash for the program, will you trade in your “clunker”?

Yes, I’m trading a car for a truck 3% 1889
    Yes, I’m trading a truck for a truck 2% 1607
    Yes, I’m trading a truck for a car 6% 4019
    No 89% 59740

• abaratar 08/07/2009 12:20pm

“For the first time since the Depression, the American economy has added virtually no jobs in the private sector over a 10-year period. The total number of jobs has grown a bit, but that is only because of government hiring.”

“The accompanying charts show the job performance from July 1999, when the economy was booming and companies were complaining about how hard it was to find workers, through July of this year, when the economy was mired in the deepest and longest recession since World War II. For the decade, there was a net gain of 121,000 private sector jobs, according to the survey of employers conducted each month by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In an economy with 109 million such jobs, that indicated an annual growth rate for the 10 years of 0.01 percent.”

and when you consider 150,000 people enter the job market everymonth that makes this really bad

• dispaced2007 08/07/2009 1:10pm

I had a bright spot today and wanted to share! A job opening was posted online at 6am, I found it at 10am, applied, an hour later the HR rep. emailed me several questions to answer to determine if I will be selected for an interview. Its only a part time min wage job but its only 10 miles away. Now crossing fingers that I am selected for a interview!

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/07/2009 3:11pm

Good luck! I hope you get it. I am happy for you but I am also sad that we here have come to the point where we are excited about a part time minimum wage job.

dispaced2007 08/07/2009 6:59pm

I know :( I worked full time 27 1/2 years in Information Technology, laid off Oct. 2007, this part time job I am hoping to get, is not in IT and pays 1/3rd of what I used to earn.

If anyone reading this is considering IT as a career path, RUN! for the past ten years IT jobs have been steadily automated, outsourced and off-shored to India, when they do have a rare opening to hire someone for IT slots in the US, its often temp “gigs” for a year or two via temp agency and rarely turns into a permanent slot.

• dispaced2007 08/07/2009 2:45pm

Now hiring: Everywhere you didn’t want to work

• JohnB 08/07/2009 2:56pm

Another Hurdle for the Jobless: Credit Inquiries

Digging out of debt keeps getting harder for the unemployed as more companies use detailed credit checks to screen job prospects.
    Out of work since December, Juan Ochoa was delighted when a staffing firm recently responded to his posting on Hotjobs.com with an opening for a data entry clerk. Before he could do much more, though, the firm checked his credit history.

The interest vanished. There were too many collections claims against him, the firm said.

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/07/2009 3:14pm

I think that happened to me. I had 2 interviews with a company and after the second interview the recruiter told me she was going to check my references the next day. She never did check my references and I didn’t get the job. I can only think it was because she did a credit check that afternoon. Of course, I was given the “We have decided to go with another candidate” excuse so I don’t know for sure what went wrong.

nancym 08/07/2009 5:01pm

Wow! Did you all notice how many comments that article had? 251! I hope every one of those HR and business people who express this idiotic opinion about the need for employment credit checks loses his or her job and becomes enlightened about their idiotic opinions. I didn’t even know that some states had restrictions on this—good for them!

But one of the comments had another great link:

It seems there IS a bill, newly introduced last week by Tennessee’s Steve Cohen (our hero!), HR 3149, that would put a stop to employment credit checks for all but a few types of jobs!! There’s a long list of supporters and it includes NELP, my own Congressman, and a bunch of other well-known names.

My gosh, it would be great if this actually had a chance of passing!

nancym 08/07/2009 5:07pm

It’s “in the house” here:

Hit the support button and talk it up in the bill’s comments!

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/08/2009 4:24am

I just did. That bill definitely needs to pass.

• abaratar 08/07/2009 4:31pm

The government claims 442,000 unemployed people stopped looking for work in July and that is way the unemployment rate went down to 9.4% instead of up to 9.7% 442,000 people were not counted. Isnt this the kind of number games that got the Enron executive thrown in jail!

abaratar 08/07/2009 4:34pm

this make my blood boil. How can they say someone that does not have a job is not unemployed?

abaratar 08/07/2009 4:57pm

this is the scary part about this article, the fund managers can’t do simple math.
    “Stocks rallied on the news, sending the benchmark Standard & Poor’s 500 index to a 10-month high.”

how sad is this the people that buy stock are not smart enough to realize that in reality the the unemployment rate jumped to over 9.7% but that the government is lying to get them to buy stock.

JohnB 08/07/2009 6:10pm

Alot of the buying and selling is based on emotions. You can make money in the market, just have to be careful. I have an IRA that I do my trading in.

• MIbumer 08/08/2009 2:51am

1. The “clowns” in D.C. will bend, twist, fold & mutilate U/E numbers to suit their needs.

2. Pre-employment credit checks…..I employers are going pull that , then they also need to know how you got a bad credit rating. This however need to be stopped dead in it’s tracks, along with “piss” tests, (that only seem to be geared toward catching “pot” smokers…all drugs except marijuana dissipate out of persons body in 24 hours or less. Credit ratings being used to set premiums for home & auto insurance also need to be stopped dead in it’s tracks.

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/08/2009 4:34am

A bill was introduced to make a federal law like what MA passed last election. It deems less than an ounce of marijauna as “for personal use” and is a misdemeanor only punishable by a $100 fine. I don’t know how this would affect the drug testing since they still drug test in MA but it is close to making it legal.

spencir 08/08/2009 1:48pm

Hi How are you i have some question for you ..

did u thing Congress May Extend Unemployment Benefits??

coz all my Unemployment Benefits runs out and my EB runs out coz they give me just 13 weeks and now ilive with out anythng!

did u know any good news for pepole like me??

God Bless The usa