H.R.3548 - Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009

To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as passed house.

woznyclan 09/21/2009 11:15am

Saw that coming a mile away …..

Serendipity 09/21/2009 12:03pm

I bet you did…

• BrokeInOhio 09/21/2009 8:50am

Kind of strange to see all the new people posting. For a long time it has been the same good people. We are like family. I have not seen ohionoeb post today. She usually is on here more. I hope all is well with her.

Taylor09 09/21/2009 8:53am

Hopefully, for her, it’s because she found a job….

• me2unemployed 09/21/2009 8:55am

So here I am going through my savings & 401k, no job, applied for several hundred positions etc. Now some states would have a 20 week advantage on others (7 weeks eb included ).

Do you think it’s right. Now I’m not BLAMING anyone on here , we all in this together but I can’t see how senators from other states that this bill does NOTHING for will pass it without adding something fro All states?

Taylor09 09/21/2009 9:07am

I believe the thought is to extend benefits quickly under the guidelines stated and if and when other states meet that same burden, they would also qualify. Remember, this is a federal program. There is nothing to stop individual states from enacting their own state extension. In theory, those with greater unemployment, have fewer tax dollars to initiate their own extensions. Also, this extension could be pushed through without much debate because it is much cheaper than extending for all states or extending up to 20 weeks, as some have suggested.

The reality is, Congress needs to address hiring incentives and getting people back to work. Perhaps requiring training or education while continuing benefits… there needs to be a plan to get people off it.

Taylor09 09/21/2009 9:14am

Those on this board agree with you, me2unemployed. We all feel that given the state of the economy, borders should not determine one’s needs. We, however, are not making the decisions nor do we fully understand what our elected officials are thinking. Remember, they are also declaring the recession over. The unemployed do not see this mess as over until we are back to work.

GonzoFL 09/21/2009 10:49am

Retraining roulette:

• me2unemployed 09/21/2009 8:56am

P.S-Most states are being hit-hard!!

The House is scheduled to vote on Tuesday on the measure to extend jobless benefits for another 13 weeks in hard-hit states

• CHICAGOILL 09/21/2009 8:56am
    i have been on this forum since april of 2007, when this really all started with the extensions. i still havent had any luck finding a job since. came close but no such luck. i just wanted to say a few words. i really dont think 13 weeks is nearly enough. i think ALL states should get 13 weeks, and states that are at 8.5% or higher should get 20 weeks. its just my opinion.
  • woznyclan 09/21/2009 9:09am

I’m with you on that but we’re singing to the choir . Atleast this will buy us some time and keep our kids fed . From what I have read today the future job prospects are not any better . HR3404 is still to adressed by the end of the year from my understanding .

• me2unemployed 09/21/2009 9:29am

A question for the board

Do you think ant congresman or senator may stand up for all states? I agree 13 for all states & 20 for 8.5 & higher!!

Taylor09 09/21/2009 10:01am

define “stand up”… if you mean keep this from passing, no. If you mean simply declaring he or she thinks all states should be included – sure.

• iliveinct 09/21/2009 9:35am

I hope all the states get it. All the banks got bailed out. All the people should too. All we want is to stay off the streets. We don’t want want a hand out, we want a hand up.

Jans1116 09/21/2009 10:52am

Well said.

• iliveinct 09/21/2009 10:26am

I’m going to be homeless starting October.

JMatzelle57 09/21/2009 10:33am

KEEP CALLING THE SENATE FIND OUT WHEN THEY WILL PASS IT!!!!!!!.

I WANT THEM TO GET THE BILL PASSED NOW!!!! FOR ILLVEINCT AND EVERYONE GET THIS PASSED!!! PUSH THEM. THEN WHEN WE ARE DONE PUSH THEM TO DO MORE WE VOTE FOR THEM TO REPRESENT US!! SO LET THEM DO WHAT WE ASK!!!

Taylor09 09/21/2009 10:35am

Are there any aid centers near you? If you have very limited or no household income there are programs out there to help short-term. I hope you will not honestly be homeless.

• iliveinct 09/21/2009 10:47am

Passing this bill won’t help me. Ct still won’t qualify and by then it will be too late. I fell in between the cracks. I’m over qualified for positions I apply for so I don’t get offers except for freelance here and there. I don’t have anything left. Now I’m angry, embarrassed, tired and depressed…. and soon to be homeless. The American Dream has turned into a nightmare for me.

ReneeCT 09/22/2009 4:31am

Try to have faith. I’m feeling the same way you are. I’m scared to death. Does the government realize that if they don’t extend benefits for everyone the crime rate is going to sky rocket? What’s even more frustrating is that they tell you to call 211 or apply for help….what help? Food stamps? That only does a small part. It doesn’t pay the bills or keep a roof over your head. I’m from CT too and I find it really odd that we keep missing extensions by .1 or by .2 %. Something has got to be done!

• tiffany5839 09/21/2009 10:59am

Hi everyone! I just wanted to inform you guys that Andrew Settner from NELP emailed me and said for everyone to go to this link and let your voice be heard……http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/ExtBenefitsNow to everyone you know. Please also call your member of Congress to make sure they hear the message loud and clear by dialing the congressional switchboard at (202) 224-3121. He stressed that it is really important that we do this today so we flood the emails and calls because they are probably going to decide what they are giving the states tomorrow. He also said the only reason this got pushed sooner is because of all the people calling and emailing. He said if for some reason the only pass this bill for states over 8.5% that NELP will make sure that ALL states get weeks by having a duplicate bill for states under 8.5%. I’m pretty positive everyone will get some kind of help. So lets all work together and bother these people again!

ReneeCT 09/22/2009 4:25am

Hi Tiffany! Thank you so much for your comment. There are very few posts out there that try to reassure unemployed Americans that their state may qualify for some sort of extension (The ones under 8.5%) It gives me a brief moment of relief that there may be some hope out there. Thank you for that. I’ve been without an unemployment check since July 12, 2009. I’m afraid that I will be evicted from my home….I just found out yesterday that I’m expecting my third child (a complete surprise). It’s so sad that the people who are really sufferring are the children. Can you believe that I do not have a literal dime to my name? I can’t afford to give my children anything except love….sometimes that’s not enough.

• Zeo 09/21/2009 11:00am

I’m grateful for everyone’s hard work, persistence and call for help ensuring there members of Congress act and support unemployed Americans While it appears the Bill will pass this week it remains to be seen if all states will end up with an extension. Helping only a few while so many are in need is unacceptable and simply not good enough. I will continue to compel my state representatives to do the right thing and extend benefits for all States. Every individual and family requires the same humanistic action that other states will receive.

• ohiotarheel 09/21/2009 11:05am

I’ll be very thankful for an extension. I’ve used up all of my benefits & am in desperate need of help. However I would hope that all states would get help. Everyone is hurting…Also I certainly don’t believe that in 13 weeks the economy will be any better, so this is a very temporary fix. Then what?

• Su100TD 09/21/2009 11:15am

This is no different than Social Security, Medicare and Medicare. These are all Third party payments. You are taking wealth from some who has money and giving to someone who does not. This is called an entitlement. No where in the constitution does it say that one has the right to steal from person A to give to person B. In the private sector this would be called theft. However, if government does it, I guess it is called compassion. When the economy is soaring and the bulls are running, I did not hear anyone say, “I am making to much, take some of it.” No, they spent their extra disposable income and didn’t save for a rainy day. IE: house, I POD, computer, car, 65 inch LCD and so forth. Most people who voted for this bill support it (94%). However, when it comes to health care most opposes it. These two bills have a common denominator, and that is re-distribution and they both should be shot down.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/21/2009 11:20am

Just wanted to correct you on one thing – everybody pays taxes not just rich people so basically everybody is paying. Not just Person A’s.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/21/2009 11:20am

I believe that is where the term “Commonwealth” came from.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/21/2009 11:22am

Oh, and I noticed you have a picture of a military jet. Don’t our taxes pay for the Military?

Serendipity 09/21/2009 12:06pm

Members of the armed forces pay taxes too.

JMatzelle57 09/21/2009 12:07pm

Who are you talkin to i bet you did!

2096 in favor / 372 opposed