H.R.3548 - Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009

To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as passed house.

Displaying 2071-2100 of 14462 total comments.

• kasieki73 09/20/2009 4:33am

If anyone in any area other the St. Louis sees news about money from the Salvation Army, tell us. There is nothing for the Detroit area. Hopefully they are just running slow and will move now that others are.

embagel 09/20/2009 4:54am

MARYLAND HEIGHTS, MO (KTVI-FOX2now.com) – The Federal Reserve confirmed last week that St. Louis is the only area in the country still mired in the recession. So, The Salvation Army is stepping in and coming to the aid of recently unemployed people in St. Louis. Pat Ferrell, Emergency Social Services Director with the Salvation Army talks about who qualifies for the free money.

There are eligibility requirements that go along with the program. Funds can be used to pay various household expenses, rent and utilities. Those eligible for assistance can receive up to $300 to help pay their bills. Individuals must bring a letter from former employer stating they were permanently laid-off (not hours cut or fired), picture ID, Social Security Card for each member of household, proof of unemployment benefits and the unpaid bill.

embagel 09/20/2009 4:55am

The Salvation Army is holding events at five separate locations to distribute the funds. Each event will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information or about area served, please call (314) 646-3000.

Google is our friend:)

kasieki73 09/20/2009 4:59am

For St. Louis, yes we know that.

embagel 09/20/2009 6:11am

As of now it appears this only applies to that area of the country, based on current news. Which is why I posted this link.

jones8288 09/20/2009 8:42am

Just from doing a search on google I found alot of links that pertain to other states. Here is the link so you can research on your own.

Some people seem to have taken offense earlier to my post that it was not for their state. I am from Illinois, and if I find something to help someone in another state I will post it. We are all in this to try and help the next person. I have been here for 2 years and this forum has gotten a little negeative on some subjects. HR 6867 was not as many negative blogs as this one has been.
    All have a nice a day as possible

nancym 09/20/2009 8:45am

It’s possible some thought it was too good to be true and were suspicious! Thanks for the post, I searched locally myself and spread the word about it on another forum.

• ronaand 09/20/2009 4:52am

nancy – the “sinister plot” was to delay consideration of the bill until the last week in september to make it effective the first week in october
    pelosi is not the moriarity of the congress, her influence is vastly over-rated;
    the congress delayed helping people because of the cost (if we would have eliminated earmarks in the stimulus bill we could have paid for the program for a few years), the date of the new fiscal year and because most media reports focused on the amount of unemployed losing benefits at the end of september- that was always the target date

nancym 09/20/2009 8:26am

ronaand—

I essentially agree, maybe not in exactly the same way—

“the “sinister plot” was to delay consideration of the bill until the last week in september to make it effective the first week in october"

-Agree here, but still wouldn’t call it sinister (I note that your words are in quotes anyway) when it is really what you say-spreading out the cost and other factors.

“stimulus bill”
    —I’ve always complained about how that money was proportioned.

“pelosi…her influence is vastly over-rated”

-Much agreed, and also is her blame vastly overrated. I am not totally in love with Pelosi as a leader, maybe not for the same reasons as the right, but I also don’t consider her anywhere near the devil incarnate. I think people react negatively to her in part because of personal characteristics that have nothing to do with legislation, but the criticism comes out that way-just a woman’s gut feeling.

(cont.)

nancym 09/20/2009 8:27am

(2)

“the date of the new fiscal year”

—not completely sure about that, but I know you pointed out that same factor for Florida in the spring, so I take your word for it factoring in.

“and because most media reports focused on the amount of unemployed losing benefits at the end of september”

—Yup, lots of people fall through the cracks of these things, but legislators usually look at the situations in terms of most affected.

“that was always the target date”

—probably as much by default result of all of the above, rather than a conscious long-range scheduling.

It’s like playing chess with you ronaand. :)

• abaratar 09/20/2009 4:52am

In colorado people that continued to claim between extension did not have to re apply for benefits and started receiving the new benefits 1-3 weeks ahead of people that had to reapply. people that continued to fine did not have to go to the unemployment office for a counseling session, people that failed to keep filing had to have an in person meeting which delayed them getting their benefits, this was not the case in every state.

Its probably also good for all to keep filing to keep the continuing claims and IUR percentages up who knows what they will base future extensions on.

abaratar 09/20/2009 5:00am

if you loook at the colorado as an example you can see where the tur went from 7.5 to 7.7 while the iur simultaneously went down from 3.37 to 3.23 I do not understand how one can go down while the other goes up. I am assuming it is because of the long term unemployed failing off the IUR roles, can anyone clarify how they come up with those numbers, and why there is so much difference from one state to the next in the IUR and TUR percentages.

JMatzelle57 09/20/2009 5:07am

Say my extentions run out should i keep certifiying..If this bill is passed since i exhausted ever possbile extention both federal and state and all 26 orginal weeks i will get the 13 weeks they wont be like ohh you cant get them.

Do i still keep claiming.

And if i have to re apply i guess ill get screwed

jelee 09/20/2009 5:34am

O.K let me clear up a conversation between Brokeinohio and myself
    Brokeinohio and her friend has been able to continue filing because in Ohio
    our unemployment office had everybody on EB filing on their website weekly.
    including myself, for some unknown ODJFS mystery Brokeinohio and her friends
    ODJFS accounts keep popping up each week with that weeks date telling them to file, and its letting them do just that, "BUT’ there is no MONEY left to distribute. I am out of Cincinnati and Brokeinohio is further north in Ohio
    Not that it makes a difference with this situation. I ran out three weeks ago and my last date was 8/31/2009 and theres no more in my account. and I can not keep filing because ODJFS doesn’t put it upon my account that I can.
    I believe what brokeinohio is experiencing is a glitch in the system, her
    filing office just failed to put in stops in the system once the funds ran out.

JMatzelle57 09/20/2009 5:40am

oh ok,

i was talking about say i run out and everything and the new extention comes up i probably wont have to do anything just certify when they say to. But i think this thing will be done by then anyway

abaratar 09/20/2009 5:45am

I am going to pretend that you are not spencir playing games and repeating the sames questions over and over again.

Yes keep filing even when your benefits expire, it keeps you on the books as unemployed, depending on your state it can help you to receive a new extension 3 weeks faster then if you have to reply and start the process over. Not all states will allow you to keep filing, if your state allows you to then keep filing.

If you are not spencer and have really only been on this site for 8 days please explain how you discovered this forum were able to find this bill being that it is unsearchable.

• Moderated Comment

• Moderated Comment

abaratar 09/20/2009 6:22am

If you are really new here, welcome o opencongress, It is the best place I have found on-line to learn about and discus proposed legislation. if you are new here you will not e aware of he troll problems we have had to deal with in he past on the unemployment threads, but I am curious to know how you found this thread.

How did you find this forum and this thread?

Marly911 09/20/2009 6:39am

JM actually runs his own website four-pllars and I posted this link on his website. I found the site on other websites.

kasieki73 09/20/2009 11:04am

Why are you giving him the 3rd degree? This thread is really easy to find and open to everyone. relax

• JennyB 09/20/2009 5:30am

Just dropping by to say Hi.

Its difficult to stay away when this forum has been one’s life support for 20 months.

Looks like most of you may have something happy to report at the latter part of this week if the media coverage is anywhere near being accurate. My prayers are with you all. At least it will be somewhat of a repreive finacially for you wqith the harsh winter months almost here and the workplace obviously not improving much.

My best to my Floridian neighbors and everyone else too.

I will be watching the progress of the Wednesday meeting this week and will celebrate along with you.

Please take care and when it gets a little too much at times, as it does, try to help someone else out. It takes your mind off your own situation for a while and presents a whole new perspective.

Jenny B

Nancy, I emailed you from the other site but am not sure if I did it right as its the first email I have tried. I hope you get it.

• BrokeInOhio 09/20/2009 5:52am

P took a look at my weekly claim page and..It shows “3 weekly claims” for the weeks Sept. 5,12,19..that I can claim ,but haven’t ..My balance is 0.00..HMMM

This is from ohionoeb.(above)

it looks like she maybe able to claim also. I am not sure where in Ohio she is from. My filing comes out of Richmond.

JMatzelle57 09/20/2009 5:56am

well in ny the last time they told us to keep claiming and they would retro the money for those weeks…that was for EB it was like 1 week off or something.Either it was eb of the euc idk but i guess ill just be able to keep claiming

i should stop worrying so much lol. Ill get my money

JMatzelle57 09/20/2009 6:05am

And also why im so like this you try living in a nice house and then moving your whole family with 3 kids to my parents house which aint that big in 1 1/2 years really can you handle that dont give me that crap. Ill worry so much because that little paycheck that i get which isnt enough helps us alittle.

i tried getting hold of that women karen to ask her to give me money back for my electrical engineering masters because she said i should go back to school for something else..I could spit in her face you go spend a ton off money really!!!

Marly911 09/20/2009 6:43am

If you can find a solution to stop worrying you should bottle it and put on the market because I can’t stop worrying. I know things will eventually change but some days don’t know where my next meal will come from. I attended a support group meeting with others in my area, we are starting to take donations to supply the children of the unemployed with school lunches and supplies. It is not much but a start. After we do that, we will be taking donations for those who will need winter coats. Wonder how long before I need the donation?

JMatzelle57 09/20/2009 7:12am

Everony contact these senators!!

Lok at Bill 3404 we keep pushing to lower the 9% and it was done, We keep emailing to get the bill passed in the house faster it has been done,

Johnb said its out of our hands no it aint. 1 more step the US Senate has to be emailed every time every day this week no if ands or buts

cindi4031 09/21/2009 6:00am

Please PRAY! God knows exactly what you are going through. He has not forgotten you. It sounds like you are doing all you know to do so I will pray for you to stay strong, stay calm, and I know God will bring you through it.
    God Bless You.
    Cindi4031

ohionoeb 09/20/2009 6:20am

Ashtabula County ..We are know as "The Forgotton Cornor because business keep leaving over the years ..but no new ones develope here ..we even LOST our MALL..

ohionoeb 09/20/2009 6:21am

we are in the upper right hand cornor of the state .By lake erie

2096 in favor / 373 opposed