H.R.3548 - Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009

To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as passed house.

Patriots 09/12/2009 9:44am

LOL! We could get rich quick :) I’m too damn old for that though.

Patriots 09/12/2009 9:47am

Around where I live drugs are as common as water. It’s sad.

Patriots 09/12/2009 9:49am

Everyone trying to escape reality with illegal or legal drugs.

Patriots 09/12/2009 9:54am

That reminded me of something I posted yesterday.

Trying to find a job is not a job
    Keeping the unemployed busy is an exercise in denial — and social control.

In most parts of the world, from Paris to Beijing, mass unemployment brings the specter of mass social unrest. Not here, though, where 13 million people have accepted joblessness with nary a peep of protest.

Many reasons — from Prozac to Pentecostalism — have been cited to explain American passivity in the face of economic violence

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 9:57am

LOL. You probably should have grown marijuana in your garden instead of vegetables. You would probably have had a good harvest about now. Even if it is common, you underprice your neighbor by a few bucks and you sell it all.

• Moderated Comment

Patriots 09/12/2009 10:08am

And I talk about spell check. Here not hear :)

• JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 9:53am

thanks nacy.

Im new hear and i get worried that we will dip below thats all i need money like everyone else

Patriots 09/12/2009 9:59am

All the unemployed here are worried about the same thing. All the unemployed are welcome to join here. It took me some time to learn the ropes of posting on a forum myself.

• nancym 09/12/2009 10:02am

Well, I’m outta here. No, I’m not leaving in a huff, or going off in a pumpkin coach for the ball. Just got too much to do this weekend. This board can just burn up too much time, like video games when you suddenly realize the day is half over already.

Later.

Patriots 09/12/2009 10:09am

I was thinking the same thing myself.

Have a good weekend.

Patriots 09/12/2009 10:14am

Hey, don’t steal my “later” :)

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 10:19am

Thanks for all your drudge work, Nancy. You reminded me I got Devil May Cry used for $4.99 yesterday. Apparently there is 2 or 3 more after it that are also pretty cheap used. See you all later. (I’m sure we’ll all be here Tuesday to follow the Senate Finance hearing).

Patriots 09/12/2009 10:21am

I have to ask, what is “Devil May Cry” ?

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 10:23am

Ok, refreshed before I logged off. It is a video game which is apparently pretty good since it spawned a bunch of sequels. I’ll let you know after I try it.

Patriots 09/12/2009 10:28am

I goggled it. You are who I thought I think :) That is good.

Anyways, I don’t have a PlayStation etc. I can only play games on my computer. Maybe I will fire up Command and Conquer. It’s been a while.

Take care my friend.

FLarlene 09/12/2009 12:05pm

Have we all migrated here to 3548? Have a good weekend folks.

• VLeichsenring 09/12/2009 10:07am

I thought this website would give all of us unemployed people a well deserved laugh!
    Stuff Unemployed People Like

Patriots 09/12/2009 10:13am

Thank God McDonald’s cares about us and is helping LOL!!!!

1. Fast Food Value Menus
  • Patriots 09/12/2009 10:19am

I think I will get some things done today too. The rain is finally stopping here.

Time to leave the Matrix.

• Patriots 09/12/2009 11:00am

I decided to play “Sins of a Solar Empire”.

I find it fitting now.

Later……

• JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 11:23am

Anyone here from ny….what u think we will get full 13 weeks…or will the unemployment go under 8.5

GonzoFL 09/12/2009 11:42am

JMatzelle57: I realize that you are anxious and nervous. But are you going to keep asking the same question over and over until you get the answer you want to hear? Think about it…..what are the odds that NYS August numbers are going to drop to 8.1%? Pretty slim I’d say. Relax my friend,NYS is sitting allot better right now than some states are. Your numbers are June 8.7% and July is 8.6%(p). My crystal ball is a little cloudy…but I would think NYS is safe.

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 11:50am

Sorry gonzo i just dont understand something

are they going by only june july and aug.

so if we have a avg of those months then we get all 13 weeks no matter what..or can they yank it

GonzoFL 09/12/2009 1:16pm

The new numbers will be out Sept.18th(I believe) Those will be Augusts numbers. So at that point your 3 month average encompasses the months of June,July and August. So as long as your average TUR stays at 8.5% or higher, you would be included(as it is written now)in HR3548. Here is the Bureau of Labor and Statistics web site for New York State.

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 1:27pm

gonzo

so like u said if i am in that 8.5 or higher i will get all 13 weeks no if and or buts..
    They cant turn around and take it away

im sorry im just trying to tell everyone at a forum i run so i want info correct

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 1:43pm

Ok i read it its over the last 3 months someone patriot said if the unemployment goes below 8.5 say in oct we lose all the money but if you look at his bill

“HR 3548, to extend unemployment insurance benefits for an additional 13 weeks in states where unemployment has averaged at least 8.5% over the last three months. "

that means if we have 8.5 or higher in june july and aug we get all 13 weeks no matter if the unemployment drops to 8.4& because october was lower am i correct thats better thats what i wanted to say

nancym 09/12/2009 2:18pm

I just came back for a few minutes before going out the door (guess I’m powerless to resist!) and noticed your revised question.

I poured over the text of the bill later today and this is my own personal conclusion (don’t bet the bank on it!):

If at the time you exhaust all EB benefits your state is still calculated to be “on” in an EB period, you will have 13 weeks of EUC credit dumped into your old EUC account. If your state is triggered “off” at that time (EXTREMELY unlikely for NY), you wouldn’t get anything—unless you fall into the small number of states that have an IUR rate over 6%. (See previously posted DOL link for all these terms and figures.)

nancym 09/12/2009 2:19pm

If you have the 13 weeks credit granted (this is assuming you always had the regular max amount of weeks and weekly amount, etc., folks who worked less fall into possible lesser amounts and fewer weeks), I think you will keep that no matter what. This is my own assessment from reading the bill. There is no part of the bill I can find that reverts back to the EB bill’s provision of discontinuing those weeks. There is definitely nothing about dividing it into 4 weeks at a time or anything like that.

Having said that, I think we should all just WAIT til this bill gets a little traction, at which point we will be able to call up the reps and committee staff to ask them about fine-tune questions like whether the 13 wks can be interrupted.

nancym 09/12/2009 2:19pm

Then having said all THAT, remember this is just the first draft of a bill that could be changed in committee, changed by the Senate, and changed in conference. Let’s all hope that process goes quickly, but I would bet anything there will be more fleshed out versions of this bill before it passes.

2096 in favor / 373 opposed