H.R.3548 - Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009

To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as passed house.

• HopefromCA 09/12/2009 8:33pm

As far as I am concern if the Americans’ household income continues to drop that tells it all! No other data is going to convince me otherwise that the economy is recovering until I see the Americans’ household income starts to increase again.

Americans’ household income last year took the sharpest drop since the government began keeping records in 1947

• HopefromCA 09/12/2009 9:36pm

Manpower doesn’t see any improvement yet in the job market for the rest of 2009

Manpower Employment Outlook Survey

Of the more than 28,000 employers surveyed, a significant 69% expect no change in their October – December hiring plans. Twelve percent anticipate an increase in staff levels, while 14% expect a decrease in payrolls, resulting in a Net Employment Outlook of -2%. After seasonal adjustment, the Net Employment Outlook becomes -3%, the weakest in the history of the survey, which began in 1962.

• BrokeInOhio 09/13/2009 4:22am

I was able to file once again for the 4th or 5th week without any money in my account…. Not sure why mine is different then other Ohioians

• woznyclan 09/13/2009 4:27am

Future of unemployment benefits to be weighed on Capitol Hill

• robbyt 09/13/2009 5:47am

Tired of explaining to my son why we have to the library or borrow someone’s computer to use the internet. Pass HR 3548 !! 15.2% in Michigan – and going to get worse before it gets better…

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 5:53am

i hear you man im in the same boat with the family,

I feel bad i mean nys aint at 15% but it still sucks soo bad that were close to 9

• gramps 09/13/2009 6:32am

MA here. I did the online cert even tho my benefits have ended. I also added that I made $100 and it didn’t ask the source. I thought it would have. I did a repair job for a neighbor who insisted on paying. Does anyone think it helps with the statistics if we keep filing?

Thanks GR

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 7:09am

I would keep filing i dont know how if it helps or not but it might show were still unemployed..

ITs so dumb how the calculate the numbers.. So the unemployment drops because people are not getting anymore benifits not because there finding jobs. They should really look into that.

• bninfl 09/13/2009 7:47am

anyone—- so any word on action in congress on this bill or the 3404? im out of unemployment now so totally out of money scared applying for jobs still no luck… any news on another extension? i see we moved from 3404 to here? hope thats not bad news

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 8:00am

we all moved hear because 3404 has been modified and streamlined. the other bill was 9.0% rate and that would exclude alot of states so this bill is for8.5% which will include most states. I really believe it should be 8% or higher because 8% is considered high for unemployment

Also me2unemployed i wanna appolgoze for my comment before im just really upset that my family is having so much trouble staying afloat living on long island with high taxes and everything. I didnt mean anything i said and i keep asking because im hoping to get something till january. The 13 weeks would help me because in january i will be starting my local 3 job. Its tough to see people struggle how about people like my uncle who had so much problems he had to give up his kids because he was going to live on the street.

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 8:00am

These times are hard for everyone and we need this bill passed or the 1647 bill by reed. Which is the same thing that will be talked about 2 so we got 2 bills one in senate and one in the house.

thats the rest of what i wanted to write

• WAstateVETERAN 09/13/2009 7:55am

So what do we know? Hello from the HR 3404 site.It’s good to see some are "amping"up the plight for the cause. Has capital hill turned a blind eye on it’s constituents?
    Will the only drop in the Unemployment rate be on account of citizens’ unemployment benefits running out?
    Will the spiral effect stop only after all of the kingdom has been left with meager abilities for human beings to survive?
    As in third world countries?
    Will streets throughout America become slums? Where average Americans pick through others’ garbage from the streets, looking for food?
    WHERE DOES IT END ?

• WAstateVETERAN 09/13/2009 8:05am

Congressman McDermott says not on his watch.
    Is not the tremendous greed of the massively wealthy obvious yet?
    American jobs have been allowed to be given to COMMUNIST CHINA.
    Americans need to wake up.
    Americans have been LULLED into a FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY.
    The FIRES OF UNEMPLOYMENT SMOLDER EVEN HOTTER under the damp PROPAGANDA of those on capital hill and throughout the Dept. of Labor statistics.
    The fall of the USSR, look back only a little over a decade ago.
    Even the Afghanistan war………………dido.
    Reality, the harsher it is, the less people tend to believe and absorb it.
    Let’s make those phone calls. Send those e-mails. Let us be heard.

• NoGoodOnesLeft 09/13/2009 8:10am

Someone posted this link over on 3404.
    Look at what the people arguing against are going to be saying. “Workers need to consider relocating to places with jobs or going back to school for new skills,” Karen Campbell said she’ll argue at the hearing.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/13/2009 8:11am

I hope someone asks her where these jobs are that we should relocate for and also, what are we supposed to live off of while we go to school.

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 8:20am

oh she is smart. So i guess my master in electrical engineering was a waste of moeny now..

Oh yea and what should i do sell my house and move to another state what an idiot

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 8:21am

Zeo please look at the 1647 bill which is in process which will be talked on tue. Its the same thing as this but in a different place its in the Sentate

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 8:23am

AND 1 other think about going to school and stuff..

If you dont have money lets take out a loan and if we get another degree that dont pay as much i guess we will be in debt again amazing i love how smart people are

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 8:31am

ANOTHER Quick note then ill stop posting

How do we know when we relocate to my new job it will be stable really..Oh yea there are stable jobs in cali. OMFG LETS ALL MOVE TO CALI!!!!!!!!

Zeo 09/13/2009 8:42am

OK, Senator Reed has only acquired 14 co-sponsors since August 7, 2009. If they haven’t signed on they haven’t done anything yet!

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 8:56am

there is the active leg\

and here is the bill 1647 going to be talked about tue

so honestly there must be something being done if there going ahead and also 1 of the guys who signed on is on the floor and will get it pushed through faster

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 8:57am

but zeo, IDK as long as a bill gets passed we must fight for this

at least there are 2 bills for 8.5 on different parts senate and house

Zeo 09/13/2009 9:56am

I’m not Einstein, but I believe the more co-sponsorship for legislation one has the more things get done. It definitely influences successful action and results. I’m just saying………..

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 10:24am

zeo your def right tho..

Im just for the 13 weeks 8.5 in general..

I have no doubts this will go threw but i think this will be it tho..What u people think

GonzoFL 09/13/2009 10:22am

Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to Karen Campbell:

Since you suggest that the unemployed should entertain the idea of moving to a new location. I was wondering if we could all move in with you till we secure those jobs you believe we should move for. My family and I will require about 1100 sq ft. We also have a cat and dog,but don’t worry they are house broken. Please let us know the earliest date that we can arrive. Thank you.

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 10:30am

Gonzofl

i will give you a standing O

My family which i have me my wife and my 4 kids need alittle bigger.. Also ill ask her if i can bring all my stuff from my house over. Because i need to look for a job all day. And find a way i can get a loan and money to go to college again because my masters degree in electrical engineering is worthless to you.

And for you info your just as worthless..

If you look her up all she did was go againts the stimulus bills and i dont see anything else she went against
    ummm yea

JMatzelle57 09/13/2009 10:31am

Gonzo i already got my boots on my room is filling with crap

nancym 09/13/2009 10:37am

HA-HA! Perfect solution, Gonzo!

While we’re at it, I think we should email all the CEOs of the banks that are gouging us with extra fees that we’ll be showing up at the doors of all those foreclosed homes that they’re sitting on and doing absolutely nothing with. I have mine picked out already, that mansion in Malibu that was in the news, the one that woman CEO was using as her own personal party palace. I’ll even offer to share it with a few other homeless families, plenty of room.

Hmm.., but come to think of it, Madoff’s abandoned mansion is just up the road from me… :)

• Zeo 09/13/2009 8:19am

It seems to me if your State Representatives have not signed on to support Rep Jim McDermott and co-sponsor H.R. 3548 you must get on there case, hold them accountable and demand action. To date, he only has 18 members who have signed on. We don’t need “LIP SERVICE” we need action now! I have contacted my Rep’s and until they do the right thing and sign on I’m going to call and write them daily until they change their agenda and take action to support all unemployed Americans. The unemployment figures are much worse now then they were during the last extension. We all really need to push them until they say “UNCLE”.

• katgotsteve 09/13/2009 9:09am

this is my first post, but i did a search for Karen Campbell to see what qualifies her to say no.
    here is the article i found written back in nov 2008. see what yall think.

2096 in favor / 373 opposed