H.R.358 - Protect Life Act

To amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to modify special rules relating to coverage of abortion services under such Act. view all titles (5)

• Official: To amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to modify special rules relating to coverage of abortion services under such Act. as introduced.
  • Short: Protect Life Act as introduced.
  • Official: Protect Life Act as introduced.
  • Short: Protect Life Act as reported to house.
  • Short: Protect Life Act as passed house.

sandersmatz 10/17/2011 8:32pm

rhian116, In the first place, the federal government does not have the authority to force doctors to give abortions or to force the American tax payer to pay for it!
    Secondly, less than 1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest. This means that more than 99% of the helpless, unborn babies that are killed each year, are killed because some stupid woman didn’t have the brains or moral fortitude to think or care about the consequences of her irresponsible and probably very hasty decision.

sandersmatz 10/17/2011 8:32pm

Here’s an idea… how about these morons be forced to live with the consequences of their bad behavior, at least long enough for the pregnancy to come to term at which point they can put the baby up for adoption. There are millions of loving, responsible people who want to adopt babies in this county.
    Your argument is a lame one and does not justify murdering 99% of close to 1.25 million innocent babies.

neonblk 10/18/2011 12:16am

Oh yeah cause there are not thousands of children already waiting to be adopted in this country. Yeah the adoptions (human trafficking) profit mills are doing wonderful aren’t they. Here’s an idea..how about you jump on the train out of lala land where only married people and wanting to conceive couples have sex and start supporting a comprehensive sexual education program..so we can cut down on the need for abortion instead of ranting about women being morons. Forced to live with the consequences of their bad behavior you say…yeah you really are an idiot. AS if you, oh holyone, are allowed to judge anyone’s behavior. Most this morons where actually using contraceptives when they became pregnant. Don’t believe me google it.

jesskazen 10/26/2011 10:48pm

why put it up for adoption when I can live in a trailer, beat it, get drunk all day, smoke cigarettes with it sitting next to me, abandon it, etc?

mfresonke 11/16/2011 10:16pm

Exactly why this bill should be denied. The people that support this bill don’t seem to actually care about the child, only about it being born no matter the circumstances.

MNoy 04/28/2012 9:21pm

These are not babies, they are blood clots…. I don’t know who are you fooling with your stupid argument. There are many, many children that are jumping from foster home to foster home and who will never know what it means to belong to a family, all because people like you have decided what an unknown woman can do with her uterus. How many kids have you adopted sandersmatz? If you are a man, have you had a vasectomy so a “stupid woman” doesn’t become pregnant? Oh, I forgot – It is her solely responsibility! Then, it is her solely decision what to do, not a man, not Congress and certainly not you. Your religious beliefs keep them in church and private, don’t push your theology on me or others. Just don’t have an abortion yourself, what I do with my body is no concern of yours.

neonblk 10/18/2011 12:07am

Typical. 54% that receive an abortion where using some form of contraception the month they got pregnant. The only person jumping to hasty decision is you when you decided to label someone “irresponsible” or "stupid"just because they unfortunately had to have an abortion.

GinoMan2440 10/19/2011 2:20am

The problem is that as a guy, I can only do 3 things to prevent pregnancy
    1: not have sex at all (that sounds like a great option, especially once married but not able to support a kid yet)
    2: use a condom (prevents a kid and involves having sex, but really changes the experience and breaks the connection with my lady)…
    3: get sterilized (great, if I’m 40 and don’t want anymore kids, not if I’m 23 and just not ready for a kid yet).
    A woman on the other hand has so many birth control options, in some cases she can use multiple methods to prevent pregnancy that don’t suffer these problems but a guy can’t do anything but these three. There are alternatives being produced one of which would work really well and be great except the pharma companies wouldn’t get to charge the maintenance fee of continued prescriptions, etc so they’re suppressing it. a woman has a lot of options to have sex without being impregnated, what about a guy’s right to have sex without impregnating the female?

MNoy 04/28/2012 9:14pm

Well, as far as I know, it takes two to tango. I don’t think a woman can get pregnant without a jerk that copulates with her. Having said that and since you placed the responsibility entirely upon the woman it is her uterus she is the only one that should decide if she wants or not to have a child.

Pro-lifers here are claiming that any abortion is killing a BABY; it is a baby once it passes the birth canal not before. From conception up to week 9, it is a clot that has no nervous system, no spine, no brain or heart. After week 9, it resembles from a mouse to a horse but I must agree that at that point it begins to have a brain and nervous system. An abortion performed during the first 9 weeks is getting rid of a blood clot that, once it’s born 9 months later none of you would give a damn about.

Pro-lifers are against abortions for religious beliefs. If I chose to burn in hell it should be my problem, not yours. Stop pushing your beliefs upon the rest of us.

MNoy 04/28/2012 9:14pm

• commonground 10/14/2011 11:30am

I feel that what this bill is trying to do is right. I am a woman with several kids. I don’t believe that you have to have a vagina or uterus to have an opinion on this. Men have a responsibility in creating children so they should have a say. Too many times rape or life of the mother argument is used to defend pro-choice. Set those type of abortions aside and we still have too many taking place, just because they are so easily available. If it were not so easy, i.e. wait time/counseling, maybe we would not have so many. Tax funds should not be used for abortions. Unfortunately, this bill will still allow abortions to take place. If a woman’s chooses to have an abortion, they still are able. They will just need to pay or obtain funding else ware. This is opportunity for the pro-choice groups to put their money where their mouth is, by setting up a grant system. Women that need assistance could apply for a grant to pay for the procedure, keeping government out of the business.

neonblk 10/18/2011 12:11am

Who publicly funds elective abortions? Do you have data on this? Last I check there already is a bill that limits public funds providing for abortion. This bill allows private health care(they kind you pay for with your own money) to restrict as well. It also allows a hospital/doctor to get away with not treating or transferring a woman that is going to die if she has to have an abortion. All because they “morally feel its wrong”..but they “morally feel its right” to let the woman die. Hate to tell you this, but even if abortion was illegal like you all dream of women are still going to have them.

GinoMan2440 10/19/2011 2:28am

I’ll setting for 5% of the people who have abortions because they can’t face the consequences doing so illegally and a good portion of them getting caught and prosecuted than anyone being able to do so willy nilly because whatever. I’m all for terminating if it’s absolutely necessary to the mother’s life, and she decides that that’s what she wants, and every single avenue was taken to save both mother and child. I’m all for a rape victim being able to heal the harm done to her by not having the bastard’s baby… But I don’t approve of “oh crap, we’re pregnant, I’m 16, God forbid my parents know, quick, let’s get an abortion!” or “damnit, I don’t wanna have a kid now, I wanted to wait till I was 30, not 24, oh well, I’ll just get an abortion” the problem is 99% of abortions are just these and similar reasons.

jesskazen 10/26/2011 10:52pm

What if the woman is already on welfare and has a child or children and can not in any way afford to pay up to a thousand dollars to have an abortion? Should we as the taxpayers be forced to provide for this child from birth to the age of 18? I would rather have government funds used to terminate unwanted pregnancies than have to deal with the increased crime, education, feeding, and clothing of children for almost 20 years.

commonground 10/28/2011 10:34am

I don’t have data on how many women are on welfare that use the government to pay for abortions. I’m sure there are plenty of middle class & well to do women that use service also. For arguments sake, let say the welfare woman keeps the child. There may be a father that will help pay for that child. Will that mother stay on welfare for all 18 years? I am all for a plan that requires women and men to do some form of work to get any government support.

commonground 10/28/2011 10:37am

Sounds a little like you think abortion is a tool to get rid of the poor, well at least their offspring, in the community by encouraging abortions. Be careful what you wish for. Your opinion on who “the poor” are may be different from someone down the road. Do we really want to be told you can not reproduce because you don’t live up to someone else’s standards. Many people were born into poverty and contributed to society maybe more than we have. Their lives are just as important as ours. Bottom line the government should get out of the business of abortions & some degree of welfare.

• commonground 10/14/2011 11:34am

We could just repeal the Health care bill and then none of this would be necessary.

• maxim80 10/15/2011 11:26am

It’s funny how those most vocal about protecting the ‘unborn’ are also the ones that call for cuts to the social programs that help the underprivileged kids. Typical religious hypocrisy.

commonground 10/17/2011 2:07pm

I have never been vocal about the unborn before now. I hear comments from the pro-choice side all the time. It seems to me most people that feel the way I do keep their thoughts to themselves so not to offend others. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard comments making fun of anyone with religious beliefs. Most of them being very mean and offensive. I let them say what they want without complaint. It just seems to me that most on the left of most positions would like to write off the opinions from the right along with the people that agree with those opinions. As far as underprivileged kids, I believe we should help them. There are so many programs in communities that help families including most religious groups. Charity should be an individual responsibility. We can do it better than most government programs

• maxim80 10/15/2011 11:32am

It’s an idiotic bill conceived by hypocrites. If it doesn’t die in the Senate it will surely die on Presidents desk…Thank ____.

neonblk 10/18/2011 12:27am

agreed

• neonblk 10/18/2011 12:34am

To the male pro lifers..I feel there is a need to have a bill submitted to force vasectomy on all of you. Yes forced against your will. See how you guys like having your reproductive rights voted upon and stripped. This bill is unnecessary there already are funding restrictions in place. It is just a bill that will allow “religious” groups/persons to not be responsible for a woman that dies because they are more morally inclined to care about the fetus more than the woman on the floor. Where is that woman’s right to life exactly in that equation? OH yeah its not there is it since she is nothing more than a walking talking incubator for the next generation…that republicans care so much about…..oh wait MY BAD they already want to cut funding for several government programs and services for poor families. Government needs to grab its sack and stop bending the knee to the religious zealots that are trying to make this country a theocracy.

• jreddick 10/18/2011 6:11pm

I feel like very few people here actually read the bill.

There is no where in the bill that restricts how people spend their own money on health insurance or what insurance is offered by private health insurance. It only indicates that money specifically appropriated by the health care act cannot be used for abortion coverage. However, it has exceptions for pregnancy resulting from rape or incest, and in cases where the woman’s life is in danger from the pregnancy or from giving birth. That means all three of those cases can use money appropriated by the act.

Additionally, it states that the government entities receiving money from the act can’t discriminate against health care entities that do not wish to offer abortion services. It says nothing at all about being allowed to deny a woman emergency services to save her life if the pregnancy has gone wrong, (usually a miscarriage situation, which is not an abortion).

I am neutral on the bill, but people should really read it.

• commonground 11/12/2011 11:46am

Why there is always an option…..OpenCongress Home Page http://youtu.be/OPYaRJOWznk

• Spam Comment

• Spam Comment

• Spam Comment

• Spam Comment

• asteidl 01/15/2012 10:11am

I oppose all abortions except when a mother’s life is endangered by continuation of pregnancy, or when pregnancy is a result of rape or assault.

• TrixieTrueheart 02/10/2012 12:11pm

For those of you who believe life starts at conception, and all babies should be carried to term if possible, what do you think is going to happen to all those babies that are born? You really believe that life with a person who is unwilling or unable to care for a child is better than not being born at all? Yes, adoption is an option. But the child welfare systems everywhere are alreday overwhelmed. Do you think adding more babies to that system will improve that situation any? If you don’t agree with abortion, don’t have one. But you are delusional if you think a) limiting access to, or criminalizing abortion is going make people think twice about their sexual behavior, b) people are going to stop having abortions or c) that you have the right to tell another woman what she can and cannot do with her body, ESPECIALLY if you do not possess the equipment to carry a child.