H.R.3590 - Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the first-time homebuyers credit in the case of members of the Armed Forces and certain other Federal employees, and for other purposes. view all titles (46)

• Popular: Health care reform bill as .
  • Official: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the first-time homebuyers credit in the case of members of the Armed Forces and certain other Federal employees, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Popular: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Legislative Vehicle) as introduced.
  • Short: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as passed senate.
  • Official: An act entitled The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. as amended by senate.
  • Short: Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Catalyst to Better Diabetes Care Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: CLASS Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Community Living Assistance Services and Supports Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Congenital Heart Futures Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Cures Acceleration Network Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: EARLY Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Elder Justice Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: ENHANCED Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Establishing a Network of Health-Advancing National Centers of Excellence for Depression Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Young Women's Breast Health Education and Awareness Requires Learning Young Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Official: An act entitled The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. as introduced.
  • Popular: Health care reform bill.
  • Popular: Patient protection and affordable care bill.
  • Short: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as passed house.
  • Short: Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Catalyst to Better Diabetes Care Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: CLASS Act as passed house.
  • Short: Community Living Assistance Services and Supports Act as passed house.
  • Short: Congenital Heart Futures Act as passed house.
  • Short: Cures Acceleration Network Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: EARLY Act as passed house.
  • Short: Elder Justice Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: ENHANCED Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Establishing a Network of Health-Advancing National Centers of Excellence for Depression Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Young Women's Breast Health Education and Awareness Requires Learning Young Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Young Women's Breast Health Education and Awareness Requires Learning Young Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as enacted.
  • Short: Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Catalyst to Better Diabetes Care Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: CLASS Act as enacted.
  • Short: Community Living Assistance Services and Supports Act as enacted.
  • Short: Congenital Heart Futures Act as enacted.
  • Short: Cures Acceleration Network Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: EARLY Act as enacted.
  • Short: Elder Justice Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: ENHANCED Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Establishing a Network of Health-Advancing National Centers of Excellence for Depression Act of 2009 as enacted.

BelovedEmpress 12/21/2009 9:59am
+ 10

Lets not forget the worst part of this deal – its not just that taxpayers will foot the bill for non taxpayers so they can have ‘free’ care … the worst part is that buying insurance will be mandatory and will be a part of your IRS tax return – show proof of coverage or be fined. Sorry folks but that is extortion!! There are always better ways to do things but the govt wants to control and make deals.

Cap lawsuits, make ins companies portable (increases competition) pay doctors what they are worth – leave medicare for the seniors – stop the handouts – teach people how to live healthier – add to those being able to get our meds from outside the US – the FDA is just another control.

People get so uppity about their right to health care – what about my right to not have to pay for your ‘free’ care??

The govt is funded by tax dollars – so every time you get something from them – you are really getting it from those who pay taxes. will you pay my fine please??

jnjnelson 12/22/2009 10:13am

The proper role of government is to protect the innocent from tyranny. The proper role of national government is limited and clearly defined in our Constitution, and this bill clearly falls outside the proper role of our national government.

Should everyone have access to health care? Yes, definitely. Should anyone be forced to provide that health care? Absolutely not. When any person is forced to provide health care, government is not only over-stepping its authority, it is practicing tyranny. Governmental force is supposed to protect individuals from tyranny, not practice it. This bill is criminal – and those who vote for it are committing crimes against freedom. The Declaration of Independence outlines the proper way to respond to tyrants.

kvarnlov 03/28/2010 12:03pm
in reply to LeMat Nov 29, 2009 11:14am

This is a genuine question, so I hope you see it as this. I keep hearing people say that this bill is unconstitutional, however I do not plainly see the unconstitutionality of it. Can you please explain the details of the bill that make it unconstitutional? Thank you. I look forward to your answer.

suzieqs 01/10/2010 2:57am

To all who don’t like the health care reform bill that’s currently in conference, tell me what you’d do to make health care more affordable. Since the “free market” doesn’t work. Do you feel that those who currently can’t afford it to just die? Deny them any assistance at all? I hear all of you complaining about it costing more in taxes, increasing our deficit. Do you complain about the salaries of our elected officials? How many other workers can vote in their own raises? To me their raises should be voted on by the taxpayers themselves and not them. Your opintions please.

justamick 12/19/2009 8:38pm
in reply to LucasFoxx Dec 18, 2009 8:43am

So if someone has legitimate concerns fueled by he abuses of the Government in place that is supposed to protect them then they are offensive? You’re a real piece of work.

Referring to them in a derogatory sexual manner is both unbecoming and offensive, no matter WHO you are!

Slugger 12/21/2009 5:45am
in reply to Constitutionist Dec 20, 2009 10:16pm
Today and over a hundred years ago bribery was known and still is known as the same thing. The basic meaning of bribery can be described as a way to get someone to do something, for something in exchange.

People in power try to bribe other people in power for even greater power or things of greater monetary value. Of course the authors of the Constitution knew bribes were tempting and made a law that prevented any government official from accepting a bribe, especially from a foreign nation, without being kicked out of office.
Votes were bought, like I will see to it that your State gets 300 Hundred Million Dollars.

suzieqs 12/31/2009 3:35am
in reply to BelovedEmpress Dec 21, 2009 9:59am

I’m sorry but even the working poor pay taxes, they pay Social Security and Medicare tax for their entire earnings, stop calling them non-taxpayers! They may not pay as much in Income tax as most, but some do (they don’t qualify for deductions).

I agree with you that capping lawsuits would help, making insurance portable, (we wouldn’t need insurance if our doctors, charged less for their services though).

Stop the handouts to whom? The working poor to the very rich? Do you want to stop Domestic Welfare or Corporate Welfare or both?

I remember it cost 12.00 to see a doctor in the 70’s, now you’re lucky if you can get out of his office for less than 60.00. There are fewer and fewer General Practioners, and more specialists than ever. Want health care reform be a part of the solution not a part of the problem.

suzieqs 12/31/2009 3:26am
in reply to freetobeme500 Dec 26, 2009 3:48am

freetobeme500, I agree with your statement, however, those who let the fear-mongers of the media rule their lives is the cause of much of this polarization of the 2 major parties. In regards to your last statement we are required to have a Driver’s License in order to drive on public streets, we are required to have our vehicles registered and liscensed in order to have those vehicles on those same streets, we are required to have proof of insurance to get those vehicles registered and licensed. So why aren’t you crying about those things. If our market would have worked the way it should have in the first place, our government wouldn’t have had to step in in the first place.

suzieqs 01/11/2010 3:30pm
in reply to suzieqs Jan 11, 2010 3:26pm

6. Stop excessive hospital charges, such as the costs for adhesive tape, bandages, etc. I’m sorry but charging a patient 15.00 for a roll of tape, or 30.00 for a box of gloves while hospitalized is a bit ridiculous.
7. Get more clinics in rural areas, not just in the big cities and the suburbs. If we can get control on the actual cost of health care itself, then we wouldn’t need to worry about the uninsured needingn insurance.
There’s many more things that need changing besides the cost of prescription drugs but I can’t think of them right now..

suzieqs 01/11/2010 3:26pm
in reply to SanityCheck Jan 11, 2010 11:12am

Well I have done some research and I agree that this monster of a bill is not going to get at the “root” of the problem. Here goes.
1.DME Charging exorbitant fees for equipment. Justify a company charging a hospital 10,000 a day for a specialized bed; I know this as a fact because a hospital I worked in had to rent one
2.Variances between hospital lab fees and diagnostic lab fees (ex. Oaklawn Hospital charges $107 for a Dilantin level Quest charges $30)
3 Too many physicians are specialized and only look at one specific area, rather than looking at your overall condition. (They all studied general medicine first before they specialized)
4.Place some limitations (tort reform) on malpractice lawsuits. Some are valid while others are just usually junk lawsuits.
5.If people are uninsured offer either Medicare or Medicaid on a sliding scale. Or if they are self pay make their costs affordable, work out a realistic payment plan for them.
Continued—

grant3719 12/24/2009 7:25am

We must remember that one person’s “rights” stop where another person’s begin.
This bill assumes that all people want insurance. I personally don’t want nor can I afford insurance. I want affordable “Health Care”. You are free to say what you want about me; I have heard it all before. However, it is my “right” not to patron any business I chose. Including Insurance companies.
This whole bill has been about Insurance and never about the cost/PRICE of “Health Care”. Overall, the profit margin for health insurance companies was a modest 3.4 percent over the past year, according to data provided by Morningstar. That ranks 87th out of 215 industries and slightly above the median of 2.2 percent.
Pharmaceutical companies have a profit margin of 16.4 percent—seventh highest of the 215 industries that Morningstar tracks.

driskells 12/26/2009 12:26am
in reply to BelovedEmpress Dec 21, 2009 9:59am

I only agree with some of your comment. First, you have mis-spoken referencing paying for people whom don’t pay taxes. Many of the people that pay taxes don’t have healthcare. In fact, there are many middle class people that do not have any health coverage. The lower class people that pay taxes pay for your roads and parks without any of the taxes paying for their roads and parks in their communities. I only ask for the facts.

LucasFoxx 03/19/2010 5:32pm
in reply to saknama Mar 11, 2010 11:37am

Because they are writing law.

suzieqs 01/10/2010 2:45am
in reply to freetobeme500 Jan 04, 2010 8:06am

Well choosing to “step in” as you state wouldn’t have had to happen in the first place if the insurance agencies would have not limited eligibility for insurance based on pre-existing conditions, also allowing pharmaceutical companies to charge exorbinant fees for their drugs, how can you justify a person being charged “$937.00 for a prescription drug” that doesn’t offer a generic version, because the FDA allows the pharmaceutical co. to hold the patent on it. (Yes I realize this is a government agency.)

suzieqs 01/10/2010 2:45am
in reply to suzieqs Jan 10, 2010 2:45am

(continued)
Also, justify the varying cost for lab tests for me. For example, I am charged $107.00 to have a Dilantin level drawn through a local hospital, but if I were to have one of the non-local labs do that same test I’d only be charged $30.00. Why should it cost more through the hospital lab than another? I know this health care reform doesn’t address every issue that comes to mind but it does address many. If my mother and I didn’t live together we’d be out on the streets homeless, because we couldn’t afford to rent an apartment, pay for utilities, or our medications otherwise. It’s because the very wealthy only care for themselves and to “hell” with the rest of the population.

G1VROZ 03/18/2010 7:28am
in reply to jharding Dec 21, 2009 3:11am

I disagree that "conservatives, by nature, are typically less vocal and “in-your-face” as a liberal". It is difficult to compare the extremes at either end of the scale because both can go completely overboard to the point of violence. So the question is either who goes to the extreme more often, or which are more “in-your-face” liberal moderates, or conservative moderates. I both cases, I think conservative are a little more in-your-face, but I concede that it is not by much.

caj51fish 03/26/2010 5:29am
in reply to jnjnelson Dec 22, 2009 10:13am

It was the only way to start the reform process without creating another entitlement.

d3hartm2 04/09/2010 8:29am
in reply to zombiexl Mar 26, 2010 11:29am

“The “working poor” (with kids) get back far more than they paid in federal tax."

So do most of the “red” states. I’m tired of Mississippi and Alaska taking my money.

GDWang 01/19/2010 8:11pm
in reply to suzieqs Jan 11, 2010 3:30pm

Government regulation is the only way to ensure individual rights and privileges are safe when in conflict with the stated goals of corporations, which is to make money and not provide healthcare. Insurance companies are only there to collect premiums and pay as little as possible for services. Hospitals and clinics (excluding private hospitals) do not turn away critically sick patients but insurance companies will refuse to cover sick patients and patients with pre-existing conditions. Increases in healthcare costs through uncompensated care are not bore by the insurance companies but rather the average tax payer and the health delivery system (hospitals and clinics). Without government intervention to provide basic health care to the American people, who will? Should we establish a survival of the richest society?

suzieqs 03/01/2010 12:31am
in reply to eohusby Dec 20, 2009 2:08pm

You know, this comment again shows, the un-informed, ill-informed, tea party that is screaming about how bad this president/congress is doing, every part of the legislative process can not be televised, nor posted on the internet, but most is, which hasn’t been done before, or if it was wasn’t easily locatable, now, the bills before they are sent to the floor of the house or senate are published on the internet, you can either find them here or in the Thomas database, through the US Library Online (I think that’s right, correct me if I’m wrong). If you don’t go online and either a: read them in your browser, or b: print them out, that’s your fault not Obama’s. Plus, most of the committee hearings regarding health care reform were available on C-Span, C-Span2 or C-Span3, and still are if you want to find them. So make sure you’ve got your facts straight.

Corivee 03/22/2010 12:39pm
in reply to freetobeme500 Dec 26, 2009 3:48am

Freetobeme500:
I assume you are referring to the forced insurance. Are you serious? Do you think this is the first time the gov. is forcing something on you? Case in point. Today I awoke to the sound of chainsaws. I assumed it was a neighbor doing yard work. No. My city cut down three trees in my yard and left the debries. I have no idea why. The gov can also force a citizen to sell his/her land for gov. purposes, forces citizens to have car insurance to legally drive, forces parents to send children to school, hell, they can tear down the fence in your yard if you build it too high. The list goes on and on. I babysit children for extra income and if I have more than two children in my home at a time I need a business license and a child care provider license or I risk a fine. Come on. There are a lot of things we as Americans are forced to do. The government is everywhere. This Healthcare Bill is just another piece.

Intensero 03/15/2010 8:22pm

Thats called slavery Jerod. Example of fairness.

Jon has 2 cars, 1 for him and 1 for his wife, Julie. Julie only works part time so she can stay home with their 3 year old Bobby. Jon’s neighbor Stuart has 1 car since he lives alone. Stuart’s neighbor Greg 3 doors down has no car and takes the bus to work. He want’s a car and is saving up for one.

One day Stuart takes Jon’s wife’s car and gives it to Greg and says look how much I’ve helped you. Later Jon has Stuart Arrested and reclaims his car from a upset Greg who had no idea it was Jon’s car.

Here is the difference when Government does it:

The police knock on Jon’s door one day and say “Greg doesn’t have a car so to be fair we are taking the one you don’t really need.” Jon gets mad and says no. The Policeman Cuffs him and tosses him into jail. Your argument is a excuse to plunder.

LeMat 11/29/2009 11:14am

This bill is quite plainly unconstitutional. Given that they are sworn to uphold and defend the Constitution their authority becomes insolvent, and they are (already) guilty of not only perjury but also treason.

If this bill is signed into law, I cannot wait to see how many courts tear it to shreds and how many States outright reject it. I am certain to be amused when they try to fine me for not carrying insurance. I’ll be doubly amused if they try to do something to enforce that fine.

Idiots… for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Congress is going to reap the whirlwind on this bill.

Torry 03/29/2010 9:43am
in reply to honestgrunt Jan 25, 2010 3:27pm

The TSA had nothing to do with the Xmas bomber. He came in from a foreign country, and through their security, not ours.

jabariabramson 05/01/2010 10:07am

Do we need an amendment to separate corporation and state? Good Lord, they need to just hit the kids with healthier lifestyles, exercise and preventative care and implement medicinal marijuana to help cut those damn prescription pill costs down and the government could take in some revenue.

gfarq 03/22/2010 1:24am
in reply to Socks360 Jan 01, 2010 2:44pm

Did you even read the issue your commenting on or just listening to people who claim they read it?

texascav 03/16/2010 6:15am

This bill is one of the worst things that can happen to this country. It should be thrown out and completely redone with more input from medical professionals and what the majority of the citizens really want. Why isn’t the elected congress and senate officials listening to the public that don’t want this bill to pass. Why is our government forcing something that the majority don’t want. To all you Congressmen and Senators, remember you are suppose to work for us. We hired you to represent us, not dictate to us. I hope in the election this fall the vast majority of you are “FIRED” and are replaced by elected officials that abide by our Constitution and will listen to the citizens of this nation and our wishes. We are not Socialists and will be a free Republic again. Don’t pass this bill……

Americafirst 03/17/2010 4:36pm
in reply to eohusby Dec 20, 2009 2:08pm

Dummy, it raises taxes on the super rich. NOT THE MIDDLE CLASS!

LucasFoxx 03/25/2010 6:49am
in reply to jonhoye Mar 24, 2010 11:16pm

Charlie Rose is a treasure, and an aberration.

BenjaWiz 01/22/2010 9:15pm

This health care bill cost too much and only rewards insurance company’s I voted it down this is garbage and will add to our 12 Trillion Dollar debt many American’s want cheap affordable health care not this.