H.R.4137 - College Opportunity and Affordability Act of 2007

To amend and extend the Higher Education Act of 1965, and for other purposes. view all titles (10)

• Short: College Opportunity and Affordability Act of 2007 as reported to house.
  • Short: Private Student Loan Transparency and Improvement Act of 2007 as reported to house.
  • Short: College Opportunity and Affordability Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: College Opportunity and Affordability Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Private Student Loan Transparency and Improvement Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Official: To amend and extend the Higher Education Act of 1965, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Higher Education Opportunity Act as enacted.
  • Short: John R. Justice Prosecutors and Defenders Incentive Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Navajo Nation Higher Education Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Private Student Loan Transparency and Improvement Act of 2008 as enacted.

• Danican 01/13/2008 6:53pm

Looks interesting!

• skrap 01/20/2008 9:34pm

Ugh, pork for the music industry: “Each eligible institution participating in any program under this title shall to the extent practicable— […] (2) develop a plan for offering alternatives to illegal downloading or peer-to-peer distribution of intellectual property as well as a plan to explore technology-based deterrents to prevent such illegal activity.” Get that dumb language out of this bill!

• skrap 01/20/2008 9:37pm

EFF’s take: http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/01/digital-theft-prevention-requirements-remain-higher-education-bill

• Anonymous 01/21/2008 9:58am

I’ll make this simple…we have more important problems to solve, and better things to do. Rip this egregious sop to the media industry out of the bill. Read the EFF link noted above for more nuanced argument.

• donnyshaw 01/23/2008 7:44pm

These new numbers out from the MPAA should help the cause of getting the filesharing provision out of this bill:

“Yesterday, the Motion Picture Association of America admitted something that many of us had suspected all along – an MPAA-funded study showing that 44% of the industry’s losses came from illegal downloading of movies by college students using campus networks was overstated by a factor of 3. The MPAA now says that only 15% of its losses come from campus activity.”

• Anonymous 02/08/2008 1:50pm

So, does the loan forgiveness program for math and science students mean that since I recently graduated with a CS and Math double major and have loans up the wazzoo that I can apply for forgiveness of some of my loans? what do I have to do to get that?

• Anonymous 02/08/2008 4:26pm

We’ll it look like it passed the House. I am disappointed in my congressman who voted aye. It sucks to tie state funding of education to the whims of a particular industry. I am glad though that it only says that they have to come up with an alternative. I don’t think they actually have to enact it.

• geos 02/12/2008 2:34am

i’m not sure how onerous “developing a plan” is i.e. we plan to install a packet-filter at the top of the domain to block all p2p-flavored packets going out of the university network, even with more detail, is very different from actually implementing such a scheme. I’m not sure ‘plan’ necessarily implies something that can be rolled out even reasonably immediately if further legislation required it.

also, the ‘alternatives’ language suggests an opening for non-commercial internet-media distribution schemes to get free publicity: Miro anyone?

• Anonymous 02/12/2008 12:21pm

Why can’t you get the education problems right? Middle class families can’t afford to pay for multiple children to attend college. My son has loans of 8.9%, can’t you do something about this? You forgive prosecuters and public defender loans. I believe they could pay their loans, and it sounds like more coruption and pork.

• tlambert 02/15/2008 7:24am

Anyone want to buy a used anatomy textbook?

• heftyjake 02/15/2008 11:08am

The importance of this bill is that we are seeing the first “real” legislation on an internet issue. We should not destroy the only forum left that allows truly free speech. Last time I checked musicians are still rich. R Kelly’s 100,000 dollar suit might need to be traded for a 80,000 dollar suit, but I’m willing to make that sacrifice in order to keep the government from legislating the internet.

• Anonymous 03/29/2008 1:24pm

I want to recommend that anyone in support of this bill for the larger overall goal of getting something done, I have set up a letter writing campaign to urge the Rep George Miller, Sen. Ted Kennedy, Sen. Mike Enzi and Rep Buck McKeon to keep a vigilant watch for people with disabilities.

Please take a look at the action on Change.org,

• list4589 04/20/2008 5:13pm

9000 for pell grant ( doubles the pell Grant) AND can use it during three semesters per year ( currently only two), I WANT THAT! Cut out the P2P thing if it will hold the grants back!

• salaud 06/25/2008 9:47pm

What a crock. I will need more lube with the peer-to-peer part to begin thinking about the merits of the loan things.

• Anonymous 10/29/2008 4:21am

I am interested in H. R. Bill 4137 as I have three grandchildren “bothers and sister” that graduated in May 2008 and have approximately $20,000.00 debt each. Surely they can qualify for some help. What are the qualifications?