H.R.4183 - Helping Unemployed Workers Act

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Helping Unemployed Workers Act as introduced.

• unemployed2007 12/03/2009 2:39am

That was quick! Yay to the OC.

larpot 12/08/2009 10:42am

I seek today that Obama is introducing a massive stimulus for small businesses, the unemployed, etc…this using some or all of the TARP monies that weren’t used. Looks like once its formally introduced into Congress, with debate and all, it will be at least several months off. My guess is this bill (HR 4183) will be replaced by some comprehensive package of small business cuts, unemployment benefits, etc….who knows when this will come out of Congress.

wb2wkh 12/18/2009 2:25am

After finding this link, the one thing that disturbs me is the way Congress and the Senate vote. It seems like the Republicans will vote against the Bill, because the Democrats are for this Bill and if it were vise versa the same thing would happen. These Congressmen and Senators do not care if a Bill will help the people, but vote on party lines to appease themselves. This Bill is important to millions of families and means financially if people will lose there home or be able to eat.

These people in politics only care about there own agenda and do not care one ounce about the people they are suppose to represent. I just hope I am wrong!

traveler1 12/18/2009 7:46am

wb2wkh, yes it does seem sometimes like the parties behave like rival school kids on a playground. But, to be fair to the Republicans, I don’t think that they hate America or want to see the poor suffer. It’s simply their conservative fiscal philosophy which directs their actions .. that philosophy being .. cut spending. Unfortunately spending cuts reduce aid — aid which we need right now. Yesterday The Democrats were blaming the Republicans for delaying the bill’s passage by filibustering. That scared me for a moment but today the Democrats got the votes needed to end debate and now probably the bill will be passed in the wee hours of Saturday morning.

• woznyclan 12/03/2009 2:54am

Reauthorize ARRA for the Millions of Workers That Will Lose Benefits Without It

• Denro55 12/03/2009 3:21am

Hey, we’re finally going!

• Denro55 12/03/2009 3:34am

Let’s go! Time to watch another grueling round of CSPAN!

VLeichsenring 12/03/2009 5:14am

I can see myself already. Curled up on the sofa in my Snuggie yelling at the TV while watching CSPAN.

• Denro55 12/03/2009 3:37am

Sorry for the double post, computer trouble… Now anyone who comes to this page will think I’m a troll – and I only post infrequently! :)

• rmiranda77 12/03/2009 5:01am

Yet another bill number to memorize! Ha!

• Doingtherightthing 12/03/2009 5:07am

Glad to see this get the attention it desperately needed. So many didn’t realize just how important this bill is. As many don’t even have their 3rd tier started yet, this bill is a very serious issue for them and all of us into 2010. I have been busy all day emailing and calling to show my support for the H.R. 4183. Let’s get this passed before year’s end!

nancym 12/03/2009 5:22am

Ok, DTRT, on this we can agree!

• RL77 12/03/2009 5:12am

With a search I did find a site that states the text for this bill. It’s at:

I see them striking the Dec. 31 date on the most recent extension but nothing in regards to the other extension dates for tier 1 & 2. Doesn’t this mean that all of those that are still in tier 1 & 2 will still be left out in the cold when their benefits run out in their current tier? Or will they just skip the next teir in line and fall into this current one just passed?

mike40 12/03/2009 5:18am

Thats unemployed-friends..been a member there over a month now,,great site for all updated unemployment news..OC great site for Bill news.

I post that small section on this new bill on HR3548 (to long to post it all).

Yes thats correct that site has it listed already the text of the bill HR4183/
    They are fast there..one reason is..the Admin is a MRS.

nancym 12/06/2009 4:12am

This bill extends the cutoff dates for the entire EUC program, so it would restore eligibility for all the Tiers in sequence.

• nancym 12/03/2009 5:53am

As expected, this could get very expensive, very fast. The more money involved, the longer it takes!

• nancym 12/03/2009 6:15am

“Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled…”

I’ve never seen that in a House bill before. Is it being presumptuous that the Senate will approve it without change, or do they have some sort of agreement with a number of senators, I wonder.

mike40 12/03/2009 8:34am

After seeing what you posted..I was curious too what this meant.

But after looking around..I notice all bill texts have this wording ""Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled." House (HR) and Senate (S)…guess its normal wording.

nancym 12/03/2009 8:59am

Oh, ok, thanks. Guess I just never noticed that before.

• Diamondman777 12/03/2009 6:42am

I hope this bill can pass through more quickly here and through the Senate. I really hope that our government officials can see the pain and stress the american people are going through and pur some real concern to this matter at hand.

• nancym 12/03/2009 7:42am

Personally, I wish they would split this bill up. The deadline for getting Tier 4 into effect for the most destitute of the long term unemployed is too close. As it stands, this bill is very expensive and goes all the way into 2011, giving all kinds of ammunition to those who want to oppose it. And if they roll this into an even bigger jobs bill, god knows how long it will take.

I’m all for some kind of jobs package, but can we please get something on the floor that will pass before July!

mike40 12/03/2009 8:44am

That is what I thought they were going to do..just take care of the EUC tier1 and 2 dates so tier 4 can be active..by setting these dates all the way to March of 2011..seems like there be no new complete overhaul of legislation in 2010 then for unemployment with this HR4183 (my opinion..not sure of course).

Just in early stages I know, but seems if this is passed its just changing the dates, not helping all those in 2010 still unemployed.

We shall see sooner or later.

Anonymous 12/03/2009 1:02pm

Kersplat! (Stamped with seal of approval.)

• mjh 12/03/2009 9:12am

well, I honestly figured this is exactly what they would incorporate as for a new bill being introduced at this time. And, another bill most likely would be introduced and enacted coming near future into 2010 once after tier 4 expires. It is what it is and the deadlines in their minds and most people’s minds need addressed first.

Time will tell ,

• mjh 12/03/2009 9:21am

Mike: don’t forget that this type of bill also takes care of at least a half a million people who are currently on regular UI claims that worked/paid into the system who were laid off at no fault of their own, hence they are certainly deserving on the emergency safety net, or tier 1 (beginning phase). congress and senate move quite slowly as we all know so at very least we need to have our faith with the leaders and assume they will address the other millions come February.

• unemployedinMASS 12/03/2009 9:23am

Okay, here is what I think. We saw with HR 3548 that a bill changes drastically inbetween. I think that McDermott made the date extend into March 2011 so that the opposers of this bill could say, cut it down to March 2010 instead and still feel like concessions were made on their side and the people who are for the bill still get the extended dates (albeit extended for a bit shorter). Personally 2011 is impossible, I think they know that. They need to put in a few impossibles so that they have room to work with. They can change the dates for the opposers to a bit shorter and it might go a long way to getting it accepted by more people, and possibly passed quicker. A lot of other amendements and pork will be added to this bill, as we saw in HR 3548, before it becomes law. It will be a different bill in the end than it is now. Heck, they could even end up adding something about COBRA.. And in that respect, it doesn’t pay to dissect every inch of the bill, certainly not this early.

nancym 12/03/2009 9:39am

Good points, I was thinking this is almost like a “bargaining” bill as well. They tried introducing a simple, inexpensive bill last time in hopes of getting it passed quickly, and look what it got them. So maybe changing tactics makes more sense this time around.

unemployedinMASS 12/03/2009 10:19am

Yes, a bargaining bill. That’s the word I was looking for to describe it.

• unemployedinMASS 12/03/2009 9:44am

Hi NancyM, thanks for the reply. I have been following your posts in other bill comments. You share a lot of knowledge that is very helpful to people. I will probbaly be following this bill more closely as opposed to the others right now, because this is the bill that could really help me. I exhaust Tier 1 right on December 26th. Which means I cannot even apply for Tier 2. So this is the only bill currently that could change that.

• Anonymous 12/03/2009 10:40am