H.R.4183 - Helping Unemployed Workers Act

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Helping Unemployed Workers Act as introduced.

VLeichsenring 12/04/2009 7:20am

The state blames their ancient 30-year-old computer system for not understanding new language of added extensions.
    Yeah, blame it on the ancient 30 year old computers that EDD had the time and money to fix years ago.
    People are suffering because of their negligence. I really think there should be an investigation into this.

• Rlukas 12/04/2009 7:29am

Pelosi said the jobs measure would come on top of a “safety net” initiative that would again extend unemployment payments for those whose benefits have run out and renew a program that offers the jobless a 65 percent subsidy for health insurance premiums under the COBRA program. The safety net measure, while costly, is expected to pass later this month as part of an unrelated spending bill, but the jobs legislation is likely to have to wait until next year.

• Doingtherightthing 12/04/2009 9:16am

I have heard this as well, the wheels are moving on 4183. Guess it’s too close for comfort for a few congressman.

• Rlukas 12/04/2009 9:38am

there are always going to be people against it. Strength in numbers from both sides on this will get thsi through. I have no doubts it will go through, there is no choice and there isnt anything cheaper they can do but this. millions of people flocking to welfare and section 8 housing will cost 3x as much. At least unemployment gets funneled back into the economy

• JohnB 12/04/2009 10:05am

2010 is also an election year. It should be alot easier to get any bill passed. Politicians will do anything to try and get your vote.

NYER566 12/06/2009 5:28am

That’s the truth!!

• UnempTN 12/04/2009 11:54am

Actually, NELP and others estimate that 1,000,000 will lose unemployment benefits on 12/31 without a change in the ARRA extension. That should make this issue front and center to our leaders. Perhaps they might take the issue more seriously when a million people and their families are out in the cold and consumer demand plummets, but it is much more practical to address the situation before we get to that point. I also don’t believe this will be the last extension, unless hiring picks up before the 2010 elections.

• nancym 12/04/2009 2:46pm

Hey, apparently we have a bill in the Senate also. Don’t know if it’s the same one Jack Reed previously introduced, S. 1647, they are talking about or a new number. If anyone finds out, please post.

unemployedinMASS 12/04/2009 3:12pm

Thank you for the new information, Nancy.
    I make a point to check daily on current news topics via google’s news search, but it’s hard to filter out which ones are important. Thanks for telling us about this. Good to know that apparently the Senate is on board with changing the application/payment deadlines as well.

I go between being really positive about this passing, to being not so sure about it passing. Depending upon which article I read. It’s a very stressfull situation to be in, as I’m sure you know.

• GonzoFL 12/04/2009 3:25pm

S2831 I believe is the senate bill:

nancym 12/04/2009 3:28pm

Gonzo, you’re back! Haven’t seen you post for a while.

Thanks for the new number. If and when OC has that up I guess we’ll be even more split up now between this forum, a new forum, many still on the S. 1699 forum, and HR 3548 still going on for some!

• unemployedinMASS 12/04/2009 3:26pm

Thanks Gonzo!!!

• CHICAGOILL 12/04/2009 3:40pm

hey everyone. just wanted to let you know that i have been watching CNN news, and i would say about every three minutes it says in bold print on the ticker, that CONGRESS MOVES TO EXTEND UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. looks like their starting to take action. thats a good sign.

• stat020 12/04/2009 6:13pm

hey… I just went to CNN and read it myself… let’s hope it is in time.

I don’t remember where I read it, but one of the big groups supporting us says there should be march on Washington by the millions of us out of benefits if they don’t pass HR 4163.

• Beaubien 12/05/2009 9:40am

So which of these bills is actually being considered ?
    S. 1647 or H.R.4183 ?
    OC states that H.R.4183 has been sentb to the “Ways & Means Comittee” already…

Here we go again !

nancym 12/05/2009 10:39am

I think S. 1647 might be dead, since it was written before HR 3548 was considered. The new S. 2831, companion to this one, is in the Finance Committee. The Senate bill is slightly different, doesn’t go so far into 2011, but has some other differences as well. I haven’t read the text myself, but others are commenting on the differences. They’ll probably chop these both up before actual passage. Some of us started commenting on the new S. 2831 forum as well.

Beaubien 12/05/2009 2:49pm

Thanks Nancy !
    Looks like more activity on this bill than on S. 2831 so far …
    Where can I read the text of both bills ?

nancym 12/05/2009 3:22pm

The text and summaries will show up eventually here, but I believe the first to get it after Thomas.gov is govtrack.us—here’s this one for starters, you can just do a search for the other one—

• Beaubien 12/05/2009 2:54pm

Hopefully they don’t drag it out until Easter !

• Jane0218 12/05/2009 3:59pm

Hi all, I’m a newbie to UI benefits. I have contacted my Congressment regarding extending UI benefits through 2010.
    If I’m asking this question at the wrong site, please let me know where to ask it:
    If H.R.4183 gets passed, regardless of whether it is extended to March 2011 or pushed back to Deember 2010, does this mean that Tiers I through III are available to those who have not used them yet? I will exhaust my original 26 weeks the 1st week of February, 2010. I would then go onto my state’s (PA) 13 weeks of EB. But if the extension takes effect, do tiers I through III come into use for people like me? I wasn’t around when the original Act was extended, so I didn’t follow how it technically was applied.
    Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

nancym 12/06/2009 4:27am

Jane0218, yes, it extends all EUC Tiers, so you would get those, as the bill stands now. But are you sure you would get EB in PA? Check to see what your current cutoff date for qualifying for EB is in PA. Many states EB laws provided for benefits only for the period that was covered under the previous federal 100% funding and stopped when that cutoff did at Jan 1, 2010. This new bill extends EB funding at 100% again, if passed, so if PA’s dates cut you off at the earlier federal cutoff date, PA legislature would have to pass further legislation for you to get EB. (I don’t know that PA might not have a more generous law; you would have to check with them to find out for certain.)

Jane0218 12/07/2009 2:16pm

Nancy,
    Thanks for the info regarding my going onto Tier I if EUC is extended. You asked if I was sure about PA having EB. I checked their employment laws and found that if the unemployment rate in PA goes over a “trigger point” then EB kicks in. The “trigger point” is an unemployment rate for the state of 6.5% or higher. So, luckily, I’ll have some breathing room in case the EUC extension gets dragged out. But of course I feel for those who don’t have a small safety net like that. I can’t imagine what I’ll do if I can’t find a job, run out of EB and then——nothing—no more monetary help.

• nancym 12/06/2009 4:28am

(duplicate post from S. 1699)
    I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up with talk of further extensions for those of us already going into Tier 3 and 4, but I just looked over HR 4183 text briefly, and I notice that it actually restores full funding to the EB program along with the rest. I believe that gives the states the option to extend their own funding if they wish to do so, beyond the weeks originally legislated in each state.

Of course, it will take forever for something like this to happen, first getting this federal bill done and then a state bill, but it seems it would be a new option for the worst hit states. Of course, with Florida’s legislature we might as well be “whistlin’ Dixie” as expect they would help us here any further, but technically, as far as HR 4183, it leaves that door open, if I read the bill correctly.

• NYER566 12/06/2009 5:28am

I refuse to watch c-span anymore after the last time, too stressful on top of looking for work!

clintonrjohn50 12/07/2009 4:13pm

WATCH FOX IF YOU WANT THE TRUTH

DannyDog 12/08/2009 5:19am

Watch Fox if you want to hear the Republican point of view.

NYER566 12/08/2009 9:42am

Open your mind! Fox has all point of views, why do you think its number1 cable news for the last 6 or 7 yrs and cnn is in last place, people are starting to wake up and get smart, well some of us are!

NYER566 12/08/2009 9:41am

I DO!

• unemployedinMASS 12/06/2009 4:46pm

“A short-term extension of jobless benefits and as well as subsidies to help the unemployed buy health insurance will get tacked on to an omnibus package just before Christmas.”

Looks like the “omnibus” is what is going to have to happen. It’s gonna be a great “finish it ASAP” health care bill we’re gonna get. They should just work on it in the new year instead of trying to bang one out in two weeks. Congress is nuts.

boufa 12/06/2009 7:07pm

great article… I really hate it when congress just shoves things threw, on the other hand, they debated the last package and then it was something like 98-1 in favor. So maybe in this case taking the sound bites and the posturing out of it would be a great thing. Best for me would be April 15th or later, that would get me onto tier III if needed.