H.R.4183 - Helping Unemployed Workers Act

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Helping Unemployed Workers Act as introduced.

• tx2step 12/12/2009 6:13am

TX here: New Q & A on the TWC website re: all extensions. EB should roll rite over to Tier Three if you end on Dec. 26th – here’s hoping!

traveler1 12/14/2009 8:58am

Texas folks .. yep the numbers do look like the 7 weeks ends on Dec 26th. However it was a bit unsettling to hear tele-serve tell me,

“Your next filing date is Dec 29th”.

I know that covers the prior 2 weeks. I just don’t want to be blind-sided with by any loopholes or oversights in the system. 7 weeks ends Dec 26th logically but just in case, I’m planning for the worst and hoping for the best. And as added insurance, maybe the deadline will be extended soon. I’ll feel safe and secure when I can call in Jan 10th and the system will go,

“If there is no change to your address ..”

Just like nothing ever happened. Continuity’s good. I like continuity. Good luck to you other folks who really need that Dec 26th cutoff date extended. I don’t think those Senators who opposed HR3548 have much fight left in them after the last debacle.

• divasheart 12/12/2009 8:36am

I live in Texas. My current extension ends after December 26th, so as it is right now, I do not qualify for the extension they just approved a few weeks ago. If congress does not at least fix the expiration date on this current extension they just passed a few weeks ago, we will lose everything. I agree with those who said they don’t trust the republicans to not try to hold this up. They did it before and it really screwed with peoples lives. I just hope they don’t do it again. I have been looking very hard for a job. Companies are just not hiring right now. I have worked since I was 15. I enjoy working. I would MUCH rather be working than on unemployment. I just pray that they do the right thing and pass an extension before their holiday break. I don’t know what will happen to my family and I if they do not do this. I feel for everyone on here that is in the same situation. We did not cause this, why should we be thrown under the bus! I just pray they do whats right.

• Sher1 12/12/2009 1:35pm

The Omnibus Spending bill to be voted on tomorrow (Sunday), does anyone know if it includes the extension dates and benefits? I saw it voted on today in the Washington Post but no mention of the expiration dates-extensions. Its strange that we can’t find out what the series of Spending Bills includes.

boufa 12/12/2009 2:29pm

No… it will not. The bill we are watching for has the defense Dept appropriations bill, known as the omnibus bill part 2 by some. It will be bounced around in congress this week, with a final vote most likely on Friday. Remember this bill is guaranteed to pass by Friday… I’m talking 100% chance. This whole thing is scripted. The Rep and Dem get together and work out who is going to vote what way. The republicans will tell the dems ahead of time if they want to “stall” the bill. If so the dems will put it in early so that there is time to stall and still get it done by Friday. The republican stall and voting against is all symbolic, since they all know it will not actually effect the final passage.

• unemployed1208 12/12/2009 5:41pm

the spending bill must pass first. I don’t know that the military bill has to be passed if the spending bill passes on sunday. If the military omnibus has to be passed thats why they put the unemployment bill in with it because they know it won’t be turned down otherwise no funds for the war.I read somewhere that some bills like the jobs bill will be put on hold in anticipation the military bill would be passed.You realize in the spending bill there was earmarks for raises for federal workers!!I thought the military omnibus bill got passed..

• unemployed1208 12/12/2009 5:43pm

hey! they did work around the clock. They worked around ten to noon…

• unemployed1208 12/12/2009 5:47pm

boufa, i asume and hope once the bils are passed there are no 3 to 4 weeks wait while they set up computers like they did for the emergency extension. Its just a matter of updating the benefit deadline to june.and hopefully in Jan. when we apply for our the next extension it will be uninterupped. You think??

boufa 12/14/2009 2:55am

I agree, it should not take 250,000 lines of code to change a date in the system. You would think that they system takes into account the fact that the tiers could change in date. It should be an easy fix. However, as we have seen over and over again the states never do anything easy.

I am covered until Jan 20th, and I don’t expect to miss a check, I cannot imagine that they have not gotten it right by then. I am planning financially just in case, and if your tier change is earlier than that I would also count on it being possibly delayed, just to be safe.

• HopefromCA 12/13/2009 6:42am

One out of 8 people Americans are now using food stamps.

Food Stamps Go to a Record 37.2 Million

That 12/13/2009 8:23pm

I am going down this week to apply for stamps. Is CA the only state to not send checks out?

• switsail 12/13/2009 7:59am

That a good question, my last check will be mid January, Can I expect a procedural lapse in payments?, I am all ready stripped out to the bone on cash flow.

JohnB 12/13/2009 4:57pm

If you’re in Calif, expect to hear: “It’s going to take time for us to reprogram our computers, please file online AGAIN. We expect to have checks out once we finish re-programming or update our computers, which ever comes first.”

• BenjaWiz 12/13/2009 9:19am

Lets get it done pass the bill. :)

• NYER566 12/14/2009 5:18am

This is the week of the 18th does anyone see the war spending bill on the senate calender yet?

• NYER566 12/14/2009 5:39am

Does anyone know the number of that war spending bill? I can’t seem to find it.

sacreds71 12/14/2009 7:18am

H.R. 3326 is the bill for the war spending. seems to be on its last steps. i hope it goes through, here in Kansas it is hard finding work. i miss the deadline by one week.

• NYER566 12/14/2009 7:40am

Is there a senate version number for this bill? I want to see if it is on the senate calender for this week. I heard it is supposed to be voted on by the 18th of Dec. But who knows. Thanks for the info.

boufa 12/14/2009 7:58am

No, to many of your questions, There is no senate number, the bill in question has already gone through the senate version/house version portion of the process. It is in conference committee, where they work out the differences. If the republicans have decided to oppose the bill, and make the senate work to get it passed, then we will see it released from committee in the next day or so. If the republicans are going to let it go to a vote without all the procedural nonsense then we may not even see it until lunch time Friday. These things have been known to pass in less than 3 hours. It MUST pass by Friday or there are big problems ie the defense dept shuts down.

boufa 12/14/2009 7:59am

It is listed on the house “weekly leader” as a floating item to be taken up once available. The senate is less rigid, and it won’t hit their calendar until it is released from committee.

jcny 12/15/2009 6:44am

Yes, the Senate version is S2831.

• divasheart 12/14/2009 9:00am

Does anyone know what is going on with this bill? What is the latest date they can pass the bill before their holiday break?

traveler1 12/14/2009 9:43am

Here’s news ..

The House is likely to vote on the final bill by midweek, putting the ball in the Senate’s court.

The chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee said he would try to have the bill passed as soon as possible saying, ‘I want to go home for Christmas’.

Ideally the bill will be passed Dec 18th. If Congress does not pass it, Congress will have to resort to another resolution to fund the military until January.
    -——————

So, the military will run out of money Dec 18th. Meaning something has to be done. I think the House will pass soon, leaving it up to the Senate. However, it looks like they have another option to keep the military funded until January if the Senate fails to pass the bill.
    From what I can tell, they can be forced to work through Christmas so no real deadline exists. Here’s a good search that tracks recent posts about this topic http://tinyurl.com/ydrptyz

• divasheart 12/14/2009 12:57pm

Thanks for the info. That helps. I sure hope they pass this before christmas so all those like me can have just a small amount of hope this season. Trying to hold on to hope, but its scary. Believe me when I say I am still going full throttle on the job searching. I will not breathe any sighs of relief till I find my next job. Anyway, I am glad I found this website. Makes it much easier to get the most up to date info. Thanks again.

traveler1 12/14/2009 1:39pm

Yep, the hard part is not being able to plan because of lack of information. The good news is .. I’m pretty sure it’s going to pass. The only question is when? I believe that if they do the “temporary funding patch” instead of passing the bill before Dec 26th (worst case scenario), in January they will then pass the real bill.

On the other hand, in the best case scenario (bill passed BEFORE Dec 26th), folks in all states will get the 14 or 20 weeks promised to them. It’s tragic that this date problem occurred because the no-voting Senators delayed the bill’s passage so long.

Even if all goes well with the new bill, the Senate’s actions regarding HR3548 have indeed caused untold amounts of stress to millions. Not to mention financial and economic losses too numerous to measure. For those living day-to-day, even a 1 week delay in benefits can be catastrophic.

guster3455 12/15/2009 5:28am

the date problem occurred when the 23 democratic senators who wanted to change the house bill neglected to include an extension of cut-off dates in their version of the bill
    if anything, the delay by republicans should have allowed even marginally thorough senators to recognize the problem and correct it via amendment
    after all, they were able to add the carry back tax provisions and the housing tax credit

• unemployed1208 12/14/2009 3:49pm

well after going to th web site at the bottom of traveler1 it is very up to date and informative. But It reads house and senate are trying to incorporate the unemployment in the defense bill and there are certain issues but the way it explains is if they reach a stumbling block they can convein next week which they don’t want to do or vote for a CR!! CR is coutinuing resolution meaning they will continue to run the defense and fund them until they get together again and finally approve a bill. I hope the unemployment extension doesn’t get lost in the shuffle. My fear they have the health care at the top and any concern for unemployment will be forgotton. But if dems are passionate and concerned they may fight to get a bill passed that includes the unemployment extension to, june so we do not lose our incone support. WE’ll see. I think it will pass but wouldn’t run to the bank.I am sure a lot of christmas spending is on hold until something is approved.

• unemployed1208 12/14/2009 3:51pm

site http://tinyurl.com/ydrptyz is the site..seems imformative

• gilly133 12/14/2009 5:31pm

This website has been a good source of information. The whole thing is frustrating and I just hope for a resolution asap. I am going through my second layoff in 18 months. The first time, it took me 11 months to find a job. I finally found something albeit at a significant pay decrease only be laid off after 6 months. I have been out of work since June and haven’t even had any prospects. My UEB run out the 1st week in January and I am not sure about what is going to happen at that point. I have 2 young boys and it’s very scary.

I have called and written my Representatives here in Texas and I hope something happens. Either I find a job or the deadline gets extended.

• Zeo 12/15/2009 7:12am

Not sure if this was posted; NELP: Congress is on Track to Extend EUC Program, Call Your Congress member now! (December 14, 2009)

Does anybody know what we do now? Wait and see what happens with HR 3326 and the plan to attach the extension of these programs onto the Department of Defense bill to extend the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program, full funding of the Extended Benefits (EB) program and the extra $25 per week in benefits? Not much action on S.2831 – Helping Unemployed Workers Act or H.R.4183 – Helping Unemployed Workers Act? Thanks for your thoughts.