H.R.4183 - Helping Unemployed Workers Act

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Helping Unemployed Workers Act as introduced.

deewtaei 12/17/2009 6:37am

I live in Indiana (unemployment rate is above 9-10% I believe). The Tier system has me quite confused and I cannot find any concrete definitions on them.

Sher1 12/17/2009 7:00am

deewtaei. Tiers = EUC08 (Emergency Unemployment Compensation), this you should know about because all states have it and would have notified their claimants when they exhaust the initial 26 wks of unemployment insurance, after that we get 33 wks of EUC08 (tier I tier II) 20 wks & 13 wks. Look over your corres received from your state unemployment DIV. Also www.unemployedworkers.org is a good source of information for the jobless.

• Doingtherightthing 12/17/2009 7:02am

Ok I live in Indiana also ,so my previous post apply’s to you . Sense it looks like you will run out in mid to late January of EUI then if they pass this filing extension which Im sure they will sense its not actualy a benefit extension ,but just a extension of filing dates. Then you will get tier 2, which I think is another 13 weeks maybe 20. Then by the time you use that up you should still get the states EB benefits the last one unless they pass and or extend the dated into 2011 whih they are talking about doing. But your in farly ghood shape, no worries.

nancym 12/17/2009 7:06am

FYI, Tier 2 is 14 weeks.

• Sher1 12/17/2009 8:21am

We need JOBS JOBS JOBS! Thats our worries because UI is a temporary fix that can be shut off as we found out 2-3mos ago.

• JohnB1932 12/17/2009 1:51pm

News Update!!!

Defense Bill vote and passage likely by Saturday:

Members have adopted a motion to recess the Senate until 12:01 a.m. (D.C. time) tomorrow (Friday) by a vote of 59 to 38. It was offered by Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV).

When the Senate reconvenes, everything will be procedurally ready to take a cloture vote on the 2010 Department of Defense Appropriations Act (H.R. 3326).

Once a cloture motion has “ripened,” it can be voted upon one hour after the Senate goes into session the next day. So the vote is expected to occur sometime after 1 a.m.

Upon adoption of that motion, Senators will likely take a vote on final passage of the appropriations measure on Saturday.

It is possible that the Senate could stay in session throughout the early morning hours on Friday after the cloture vote takes place

• Doingtherightthing 12/18/2009 7:35am

Thanks John for the update ,thats what we been waiting on. Good news !

• Doingtherightthing 12/18/2009 7:56am

Some information on the up coming vote tomorrow,to extend the dates out past 2009.

• Zeo 12/18/2009 2:47pm

We need to really look at the 5% of the population who have almost 50% of all the money and ask ourselves if this disparity should really exist and if it threatens our freedom to govern fairly. A blind man could see that from the president on down all of the politicians are on the payroll of this 5%. Think about it. How many times have we all said no and the congress goes ahead and does it anyway. Displaced people have been persecuted to carry the economic burdens of this catastrophe and forced to stare at life with no income or hope, while Wall Street is laughing all the way to the bank. It’s never about the populace, rather political self preservation at the expense of the people! Somehow, we have to get rid of all the ramped corruption. Forget politics, it’s cognitively dishonest thieves on all fronts, at any cost who bailout self serving wealthy people and corporations while they could care less about the middle class who need unemployment benefits to survive.

• Doingtherightthing 12/18/2009 6:07pm

You speak the truth Zeo, And most are starting to see how corrupt the system is. Can we change? , I think we can, however it will take much more than a bad economy to do it. It will take several things to happen at once. What they are for sure I don’t know. I can only guess. Things would have to get bad enough where even the super rich feel it ,well we didn’t let that happen we bailed the banks out, so they could turn around and do it to us again. The so called Wall Street reform is a joke. And as everybody in America could see how corrupt both democrats and republicans are after not passing drug importation from canada,we live in a greed America ,even at are darkest moments of bad economy they want to take are money ,and take and take.

Zeo 12/19/2009 6:58am

Like I have said before until Americans finally get fed up with party officials representing themselves instead of the people nothing will ever change. Wealth driving more of the same corrupt politics influenced by special interest greed, deceit and personal self preservation at the expense of the people. I propose the “Independent Party” change the requirements for all candidates that are stringent and continuously monitored. For example: Prior to any official being seated to the Senate or House lawful candidates would be prohibited from having any past or present salaried position with any company that has ever had or might ever have a professional or contractual connection to federal, state, or local government, and each member must submit to random drug and alcohol testing throughout his or her term. The return of legislative accountability and public trust! Corruption rules such as these would eliminate most of the current illegal party members!

• Doingtherightthing 12/18/2009 6:07pm

It will take a new congress voting all democrats and republicans out and trying some new blood “Independents”. But in any real world situation the big hogs, fat cats whatever you want to call them. They will seed there lobbyist into as many people as they can. You take away the lobbyist, throw out congress, and set some new laws to protect this from happening again. And maybe just maybe our kids and there kids could have a better life. But we all know this will take time ,it’s a fight and worth fighting for .

Zeo 12/19/2009 6:49am

I agree with all that!

• Spam Comment

• Doingtherightthing 12/19/2009 2:24am

Yes, also there is a jobs bill that will extend benefits not just filing dates. However it did pass the house yesterday it will be a real problem child in the senate as all republicans are against it. Here is some information on how narrowly it passed. And some of the details. If you want more details on this extension you will just have to wait, there will be changes made to it as the process progresses. And just how many weeks of unemployment will be extended is a work in progress.

• Debbie119 12/19/2009 2:31am

WOOHOO! The Senate passed this at 8:30AM today! Obama is suppose to sign it before midnight tonight!

• switsail 12/19/2009 2:46am

WHHHEEEEWWWW, that a huge relief

• Beantownsassy 12/19/2009 3:59am

So those who already collected those other previous extension and can’t find work won’t get another extension?

Zeo 12/19/2009 6:52am

I hope we are not considered expendable surplus! We have definitely suffered the longest. Thank God for NELP!

• traveler1 12/19/2009 7:45am

Interesting idea about an independant party. What would really be nice is if we the people could actually vote .. kind of like folks did on American Idol. A bill would come up and we could either text in our vote or do it via web. I wonder how that would play out. If all of America voted on whether to assist the unemployed OR .. use that money for something else .. it makes you wonder. On second thought, can that American Idol idea. I think the unemployed would come out on the losing end, even if Congress was not even involved. Perhaps the general human nature is to look after self first, state second and nation third. Anyway, good news today for those needing that extension to go through. Now everybody can get some sleep. Until March.

tonydatillo 12/19/2009 9:22am

Lots of people will be in the clear well past March, traveler. Those who are start EUC1 (in Indiana at least) sometime before February 28th will have 20 weeks of benefits, regardless of what happens between now and March.

Could someone clarify something for me? Is each EUC Tier the same for every state? I keep hearing some say their T1 is only 13 weeks. In Indiana T1 is 20, T2 is 14, T3 is 13, T4 is 6.

• djsgarrett 12/19/2009 10:11am

OK, my T2 runs out the 3rd of January. When this passes, does it mean that I should be eligible for T3? Is this just to extend the eligibility dates?

• Spam Comment

• Doingtherightthing 12/19/2009 1:36pm

Yeah your ok now garret.

• Doingtherightthing 12/19/2009 1:43pm

Im probably one of the worst cases for unemployment. I was laid off from 3 differnet jobs over 12 months. And my income went from 46,0000 a year to 9,900
    so now I dont get full benefits or weeks. A very bad place to be,and I feel bad for those who are in the same situation as me ,the system really hoses us. We get half the amount and half the weeks ,based on the low income. So now I run out 1st week of January of the 3rd tier already. Sense they passed this I wont get the 4th tier of 6 weeks but only 3 weeks,which lands me the 1st of Febuary with nothing ,unless I get the EB benefits I was getting before the 3rd tier kicked in. Anyone have any information if we would get EB ? Not a good place to be right now.

• Doingtherightthing 12/19/2009 1:49pm

I live in Indiana if that helps, I couldnt find any information on this anywhere. I was on EB before the 3rd tier ,and had 8 weeks left ,then got put on the 3rd tier. Now it just shows my balance of EB the “8” weeks worth ,will that continue on after my 4th tier ? god I sure hope so.

• switsail 12/19/2009 2:31pm

Now that I am relieved I am confused, I would have ran out of my 1st 26 weeks mid January. I assume this keeps me alive for a little while longer. I am drawing out of NY but Live in AL, both states are over 10%, (isn’t every state).

Do I get a reduced rate on this tier system or something? How long does this reprieve look to last for me.

• Spam Comment

• Spam Comment

• Doingtherightthing 12/19/2009 3:38pm

I doubt Indiana’s 9.8% unemployment could drop to 8.4% by Jan,11, 2010 . If it does then great maybe the jobs will come back. Otherwise I go on tier4 Jan,11 ,2010 ,but for me it’s only a 3 week extension,not really going to get
    you threw the worst now is it. Congress knows this to be a problem ,and thats why there is another bill. However republicans have made it clear they will drag it out like the last extension. There for the rich and we are nothing more then a drag on there way of life.