H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

duckandcover 07/22/2010 8:18am

And BTW. The only thing that destroyed the unions was the unions themselves and the Democraps who jacked up the minimum wages to over $8/hr. Between the two of them big business got smart and started sending jobs anywhere else where they could get less costly labor. End of unions. End of jobs. End of story. For every action the Democraps cook up there is always and equal and opposite reactions. The problem is the dumb voters who keep voting for the dumb Democraps. But the voters will probably never put 2 and 2 together as they have been dumbed down for so long by the Democraps. It is un F-ing believable how lame some folks are. You would think with our modern schools at least a few folks would wise up some day.

PHoneycutt 06/10/2010 4:56pm

I agree. Washington, DC, wants the numbers to go down. I’m sure they have a panel working on how they can achieve this even though there are still just as many people Unemployed.

If a person is Unemployed – just because they run out of weeks – if they are still looking for a job – they should still be counted.

But, it will “trickle up” – when taxes aren’t being paid – then Washington, DC, will have to start laying off Congressmen, Senators, etc. They won’t be getting those big paychecks and perks. They really do forget that they work for us.

leadtheway 07/20/2010 9:11am

I do not know what state you live in but I work for the Unemployment Division in WI and we allow people to continue to file even after they have ran out of benefits. Check with your state again.

Allana1 07/20/2010 11:40am

Ohio doesn’t.

lordgotmilk 07/20/2010 8:59pm

I’m in Ohio. When I ran out of tier 1, I called my processing center, Youngstown and she told me that I needed to use the automated phone filing system to file each week. She told me that if I didn’t file, that if/when the extensions passed, I would not be eligible to receive retroactive payments for the weeks I hadn’t filed.

I’ve been filing that way since and called yesterday to make sure all of my ducks were in a row and the woman I talked to told me that she could see I’d been filing and that I’d done right, because those who haven’t filed weekly may have a hard time and delay in getting retro payments. She said those that have been filing, like me, will get processed as quickly as the system will allow once they are given the go ahead to pay.

If you’re in Ohio and haven’t been filing, I’d contact your processing center and find out if what you can do to get ahead of this in the next day or two.

satdog50 07/21/2010 2:41am

Ohio has been denying people via phone and Internet for months now. Some reps tell you can file some let you file it is rediculus ALL Unemployed should be able to file. This why we have not had true numbers of unemployed in this country. Also the Republicans stripped this Bill totally by removing what was needed TIER 5 for ALL UNEMPLOYED. They also stripped $25 extra and other you can read. NOW millions more than the few will not get any lifeline if passsed after debates. ALL Unemployed will be doomed in a few weeks because there are more who exhausted than new based on the recent polls and the numbers will be great in a few weeks. So we must stay on REID and the democratics to Help ALL Unemployed because we ALL will need it very soon from now and this is a fact!

leslierickard 07/21/2010 2:45am

In Indiana, you were not given the option to file weekly..once your benefits ran out, all you could do was keep a record of your job searches…I even went to the Work One office and they said to just keep the record in case it does pass and then I will have to play ‘catch up’ if and when it does…so whenever they get their databases updated (originally said to take 2 days, now saying up to 2 weeks)everyone will be filing up 8 weeks worth of claims…

• nmeagent 05/27/2010 3:52pm

“Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses”

Juvenal, Satire X

• cshelan 05/28/2010 12:50pm

Did the May 28th vote on 4213 include the $1 billion allocation for the Summer Youth Employment provision?

• tonydatillo 05/29/2010 7:48pm

I think so. At least that’s what I read in a few different news articles.

• JoshR 05/31/2010 5:29pm

Currently, hedge fund managers’ income is taxed at the lower capital gains tax rate rather than the regular income tax rate, which is higher. It creates situations where billionaires end up paying a lower tax rate than their secretaries.

Thats messed up.

• ksnoutofwork652 06/02/2010 5:07am

When will the president sign 4213??

Abaratarrr 06/04/2010 10:00am

it needs to be voted on in the senate again.

• tinahdans 06/04/2010 6:23am

STOP THE BAILOUTS!!

ndrai3gsx 07/21/2010 4:20pm

This is not about a bailout,it’s about survival while we try to get where we can support ourselves. I resent being told that because the people I work for laid off my entire department, I must be getting bailed out while trying to survive.

• Abaratarrr 06/04/2010 9:52am

Last month they said the unemployment rate increased because so many people were optimistic and and started looking for work again. This month the DOL says the unemployment rate went from 9.9% to 9.7% ,get this they subtracted 322,000 workers from the labor pool as disgruntled workers that are no longer counted as unemployed.

roughly 1.6 million people graduated with a bachelors degree in the last month and now have to find jobs,they were not added to the labor pool?

The census hired 411,000 temps,private business hired 20,000 and aliens abducted 322,000 Americans causing the unemployment rate to drop .2%

Of the 20,000 “new” private sector jobs, the number of temporary workers increased 31,000 so that 20,000 actually represents a loss of 11,000 permanent positions.

“President Barack Obama said the employment report showed the economy was moving in the right direction.”

PHoneycutt 06/10/2010 4:58pm

They are “massaging” the numbers:))) And, we all know what that means, don’t we.

• ProducerJoe 06/06/2010 2:05pm

I’m going to keep this as civil as I possibly can. However, the attitude of incumbents, such as Jim “Tough Sh*t” Bunnings and his repeated blocking of this bill under the feigned concern of cost, makes it extremely difficult.

My point concerns IRS 181, attached to this bill somewhere, according to attorney friends of mine. My company, and other producers, have numerous projects waiting on this.

Talk about creating jobs and affecting middle class workers directly? Blocking this bill is a textbook example of Washington bureaucrats directly affecting the workplace!

The Senate could have voted on this before leaving on their week-long RECESS. But no, they just wanted to get their butts out to “play”.

Listen up, senators! You need to get back here on Monday, get the votes together and pass this @#$%*& bill!

I understand Bunnings is or has retired, so he gets away with his insolence.
    But in November, we’ll remember incumbents who’ve forgotten who they work for!

PASS THE BILL!

dartcanyon 06/07/2010 7:52am

Obama WILL NOT step in and use his executive power for us. He’s part of the problem folks. They sleep well because they are selfish, heartless people who are only interested in their own wealth that we have helped provide for them with all our long term tax dollars. Let’s STOP paying taxes and you will see how fast Washington knows who and where we are. Disgraceful. They don’t think about the damn deficit when they are pouring more and more money into useless wars and foreign countries. What happened to taking care of America first?

PHoneycutt 06/10/2010 5:03pm

Nothing is EVER said about the BILLIONS that we are giving to AFGHANISTAN – trying to convert them to DEMOCRACY – when that won’t EVER HAPPEN – BECAUSE IT IS A RELIGIOUS WAR. As soon as we leave, if we ever leave – remember Haliburton/Chency is involved – just like Haliburton/Cheney/BP is involved in the Gulf – things will go back just the way they were. They will be “blowing up” each other AGAIN!!!!! We don’t have any business being in Afghanistan. Would we allow them to come into our country and do what we are doing in their country? The leader of Afghanistan is having meetings with the Taliban and we are giving them BILLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There, now we can “Pay as you Go” the Unemployment Benefits that are so desperately needed in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

• Spam Comment

• mouseissue 06/08/2010 9:15am

From the sounds of things, all of us 99ers (i.e. long-term unemployed who’ve exhausted all unemployment benefits) will be in dire straits (if not already).

I have been looking for ANY job (including ANY minimum wage job) and have been unable to find one for over 2 years! I am a married professional with three children that was laid-off back in August 2006, and am STILL unemployed. My last tier of benefits (Tier 4) ran out back in March 2010.

Last month, we started using food banks for food.
    We have begun selling belongings to keep our water and electricity on and pay rent. Very soon, we will be HOMELESS!

What do our elected officials care? They were in too big a hurry to go on another of their many “paid breaks” while more and more Americans suffer.

I do not hold out much hope for folks like me.

• nojobsurvivor 06/08/2010 11:18am

This bill if it eventually passes still doesn’t help those running out of tier 4 benefits or is some states tier 3. There are a number of petitions out there. If you want a tier 5 sign one of them. Ours is at http://www.nojobsurvivor.com. And pester your senator and congressperson mercilessly. You will cry reading some of the stories of those signing our tier 5 petition.

• PORBOUY 06/09/2010 2:27pm

I too have been watching the proceedings on C-span at the Senate. Can they please just help us americans out who can`t locate work and stop stuffing in pork projects. We need this done now -99 weekers are not the only ones losing benefits -in fact most of them are gone now. New people are losing jobs daily and millions are exhausting their weeks or tiers without being able to find work. They`ll be plenty more to follow in the future besides the people who are getting cut off now from their tiers. 20 +% of America unemployed and employers asking for PHDs to fill bagger jobs at the store for minimum wages. If your not out there you don`t know how bad it is and count your lucky stars -please help us -we are losing homes/cars/and medicals for our families! Please help fellow americans now!! PASS 4213 NOW!!

colleengarden 06/14/2010 7:11pm

EXCUSE PORBOUY, BUT US 99ERS HAVE NOT GONE TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT JOBLESSUNITE.ORG IF IT WASN,T FOR US THEY WOULD NEVER HAD BEEN ANY EUC… WAKE UP AND SMELL THE POLITICS!

• ca23 06/10/2010 7:06pm

Rep Linder the leading Republican on the Ways and Means Committee, saysthat extended unemployment benefits keep people from looking for work.

He is a Rep from Georgia and the unemployment rate is 10.4% among the highest in the nation!

John Linder: Unemployment Benefits ‘Too Much Of An Allure’

Call /email Rep Linder and let him know how wrong he is!
    DC Address: The Honorable John Linder
    United States House of Representatives
    1026 Longworth House Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20515-1007
    DC Phone: 202-225-4272
    DC Fax: 202-225-4696
    Email Address: http://linder.house.gov/index.cfm

• ca23 06/10/2010 7:09pm

Its going to come down to which Republican Senators will vote with us. These are the 4 repulicans who voted yes on our last extension. Lets direct our fax/call/email and ask them to extend benefits and add and extension for Tier 4 whose benefits have ended. Lets target them also. Its all going to come down to this. Lets do this!

-Scott Brown
    -George Voinovich
    -Susan Collins
    -Olyimpia J. Snowe

scottbrown.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/emailscottbrown

voinovich.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact

collins.senate.gov/public/continue.cfm?FuseAction=Contact

snowe.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactSenate.
    bergcycles1

• sldhouston 06/14/2010 2:13pm

As of this evening, June 14, 2010, the bill to extend unemployment has STILL NOT PASSED! These leaders went on break for a week. They foolishly played games last week. This is the 3rd week they are debating over this. Meanwhile several thousand Americans are relying and depending on a check, many who’ve been cut off because these leaders think it’s cute to play games this way. Next-to those of you who tell us to go get a job working retail, fast food, supermarkets/stores, etc. they do not hire us. Those of us with degrees are not a fit for them for two reasons. One-they know we’re over qualified. Next-they know we need the job to fill in the financial gap for now until something better comes along so they do not hire us b/c they know we’re not in for the long haul. I have also been told that managers and company executive DO NOT look to hire those who’ve been out of work and are considered unemployed. It is an every day fight just to have the door slammed in our face.

tmo520 06/14/2010 3:01pm

sidhouston – You’re correct, as I am in the same boat. I have had my position(s) eliminated 2x since 4/08. In 1.5 weeks, I will receive the last of my 26 weeks on unemployment. I have a Bachelor’s degree and 18+ years experience and am told I’m over qualified. To make matters worse, my husband had to file for unemployment last week. However, I have somehow managed to continue to pay the mortgage and all of our bills. Funny though, because I can’t get a “home modification” loan to lower my interest rate because I don’t have a job and I have a FICO over 800?! I hope our leaders had a nice vacation – maybe they were even able to see a doctor for a check-up during that time. I know I haven’t been able to have any medical treatment (preventative or otherwise) for some time. Government for the people, by the people – I don’t think so.

• CindyPMI 06/15/2010 3:44pm

Maybe those in congress needs to have a year or more of unemployment to learn how to cut costs. Can any one of them live on $20K a year max? I’ve whittled it to the bare bones, and still living with shut off notices in my mailbox. Maybe some of us that have learned to live with the bare necessities in life need to be running our country.