H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

lordgotmilk 07/07/2010 3:43pm

I haven’t done as much research on what those funds are earmarked for, I’ll admit, but if it’s for “job creation”, then they are only holding us up on what we want, which is jobs, by not spending that already. Of course, all the money that’s been put into bailouts and other stimulus spending to help create jobs has obviously been money well spent(sarcasm).

Anywho, I was just stating that there is at least 1 Republican that’s offered a decent compromise. The truth is both sides are grandstanding. Harry Reid wants to bully his bill into law without compromise and the majority of the Republicans are fighting that. Every time a possible olive branch has been passed across from the Republicans as a compromise to build on, it’s immediately shot down, not even considered. They are nearly all to blame and what they are guilty of is putting their own “ideals” ahead of the American public.

mikeqhawaii 07/08/2010 8:50am

i’m sorry, i didn’t mean to come off sounding disrespectful of your opinion. what i was getting at is the repubs offered this up as what appeared to be a reasonable alternative full well knowing it wasn’t possible. i believe if the dems suddenly switched course and agreed to find a way to take it out of what has been termed as “left over stimulus money” repubs would find something else wrong with it and vote it down.

in my eyes, this is a case of the “haves” vs. the “have-nots” and honestly, i don’t see the “haves” in the government giving a damn. the current unemployed population will ensure they pay for that for many nov’s to come. i think what saddens me is that until this all happened i honestly felt like i was one of the “have’s” only to find out that my government has deemed me a “have-not” and has tossed me in the gutter after many years of devotion, when i needed them most. i’m sad to be an american today and that won’t change for a long time.

good luck/aloha to you.

lordgotmilk 07/08/2010 11:04am

I guess what I should have said is that, with only needing one vote to break the filibuster, that if they met the terms of such compromise and then Voinovich didn’t flip vote, then it would give a blatant finger to point.

It doesn’t take much thinking to realize that without this little bit to help us keep our heads above water, the economy can only go one way. With less spending by us, more businesses suffer and lay off or go out of business all together. Economic recovery can take years, since as some of us find creative ways to make a living, or retrain and hire into new fields and begin spending more, businesses will begin hiring….it’s a reverse domino effect. Currently, those dominoes are falling and will now gain momentum until we can begin to spend a little again.

mikeqhawaii 07/08/2010 12:06pm

i agree my friend. unfortunately, these individuals don’t have your common sense tending to make things hard that really isn’t.

i think what might end up coming out of this is a new way of doing things in the senate….new rules perhaps. the rules the senate attempt to govern by are so outdated that they haphazardly apply in this modern america. thats why americans end up so frustrated. most of us don’t understand the process so when something so simple takes forever, hurting those that really need it, there is true anger. and sadness.

anyway, thanks for the discussion and offering your opinion. reading what others think helps educate me and everyone else out there. again, good luck and aloha.

lordgotmilk 07/08/2010 3:53pm

We are getting an education. I’m one that, until now, has only made my voice heard with voting. I understand enough of the “ideals” of each party to have made a decision on party based on my own values. I remember the saturday morning cartoon showing how a bill becomes a law, but that’s all I really understood of the process until now.

Today’s America needs a more streamlined and efficient House and Senate. I watched one of the votes on C-Span2 and couldn’t get over how much like high school it seemed. A vote isn’t a serious vote, it’s a chance for them all to get up and go socialize. It’s apparent who has never been out in the “real world” and these are who represent us?

We won’t get that changed though as long as the average Senator is near or over corporate retirement age. How can they truly represent the average American that lives by hard work and being timely.?

Don’t worry about stepping on toes, debate is a method of greater understanding.

jrhill 07/08/2010 1:57am

“stimulus money slated for job creation” ??

are you kidding me?

government doesn’t produce or create anything.. it just regulates, taxes, shuffles it around (redistributes) and controls things (Ie. Destroys things).

PEOPLE and PRIVATE BUSINESSES create jobs, not government..

They just sent 117,000 DEAD PEOPLE (and over 200 prison inmates) checks for energy subsidies to help pay their air conditioning… cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

The only jobs Government creates is GOVERNMENT JOBS. Who do you think pays the salaries of government workers? Yup, you guessed it…. WE DO

sorry to have to blatantly point this out… I know it sucks :-(

mikeqhawaii 07/08/2010 9:15am

i’m sorry, you misunderstood what i wrote (sorry for being so blatant – i know it sucks). i stated what the money is earmarked for. i never said they would be good at it nor supported the money being used for that purpose. what i see as the problem with that alternative is the stimulus package was approved in that manner and undoing it would take an act of god (as we all know congress isn’t getting anything done these days so we’ll have to defer to a higher power). most significantly, in the meantime we all flounder.

there have been some successful “job creation programs” initiated by the government. the “interstate system” and “summer work programs/internships” have both launched many people into society. namely, me. i’d also venture to say “pell grants” give many people a new start in life. but with all the red tape i doubt creation of similar programs will do much in this day and age so it’s a wasted gesture.

i hope things work out for you. aloha.

mikeqhawaii 07/07/2010 11:36am

my understanding of the articles i’ve read is the question about the special election really affects when the seat will be permanently filled. the current governor doesn’t want to appoint himself because he is more interested in running for the office and winning the seat, by election, for a full term. appointing yourself to fill in an interim gap spells trouble for the politician when he later runs as the constituents sees it as arrogant. the governor fears he won’t be able to gain reelection.

i think he still appoints a replacement to fill the seat in the interim until that special election is held. am i wrong? anyone from w virginia understand this better?

you know, what i’m seeing is the unemployed are really learning the in’s-and-out’s of how the political system works because of this. we will be a force to be reckoned with come election time. the politicians should have done their job which would have kept us quiet and dumb and out of their hair.

enrico17 07/07/2010 3:16pm

Hi Mikeghawaii, I think you are correct about him appointing a replacement, it just was not clear in the articles I was reading. However, I did read a comment placed in a WV paper from someone who is in WV politic,s and said the Gov will appoint an interim Senator until the Nov 2010 election. I sure hope so.

You are correct in the fact that I have learned so much about politics and have lost so much respect for elected officials. Because of the bickering back stabbing, back door deals, they are so ineffective, and just lost sight of why they are there. I guess the saying never trust a politician is correct, but what the Senate did to the American citizens who needed their help is despicable. please read this article in the website I have pasted below, the columnist says it so well that I wish every Senator and Congressman who voted no would real it, and also it will make you feel good. Good Luck.

mikeqhawaii 07/07/2010 3:30pm

very good article enrico. i’d invite everyone to read it.

i’ve read quite a few ill-investigated/ill-educated articles which fail to provide a complete report – or they slant the report to benefit one party or the other. this one is by someone who clearly knows what they’re talking about and i don’t detect it being slanted to either party. we need more of these vs. the articles which are conceived to inflame people…..making a bad situation even worse.

good luck and aloha my friend.

• jereme28 07/07/2010 5:33pm

I have worked as an independent contractor, and I have been in the situation our legislators are facing right now many times. It is a nightmare, but bailing out and trying to burry your head in the sand is not an option. The truth of the matter is, that you gave your word, even legally contracted yourself to finish a job. If you did not make an accurate bid, or did not foresee worse case scenarios, it is not the customer’s fault, it is your problem. You must continue spending, and you must finish the job. It does cost you your ass initially, but your business will never sustain itself by not completing jobs. Congress just needs to finish the job they were hired to do, failure is not an option, especially when you are dealing with people’s lives. The unemployment funds go directly back into the economy, and is by far the most productive recovery plan Washington could ask for. Finishing this job is the best thing Congress can do to as a “business”.

• jereme28 07/07/2010 5:34pm

Stephen Colbert said it perfectly, “Going on a diet while you are starving, is not a good idea”

• jrhill 07/08/2010 2:49am

just read this in the Washington times:

The nation’s debt leapt $166 billion in a single day last week and it comes at a time when Congress is balking over higher spending and debt has become a key policy battleground.

The one-day increase for June 30 totaled $165,931,038,264.30 – bigger than the entire annual deficit for fiscal year 2007 and larger than the $140 billion in savings the new health care bill will produce over its first 10 years. The figure works out to add nearly $1,500 for every U.S. household, or more than 10 times the median daily household income.

As it stands now, every family in the country owes $140,000 to the government to pay off this debt. How do you think they are going to raise that kind of money?

jereme28 07/08/2010 4:53am

We don’t owe our government shit. Those crooked politicians did this to themselves, we shouldn’t have to take the responsibility. Their bullshit wars, their relationships with crooked corporations, and their selfish agendas did nothing but hurt the people of this nation, and now they want us to pay? Thats funny and sad at the same time. If worse comes to worse, I suppose we will have to put yo mamma back on her corner, and nickle by nickle we can balance the budget. Jesus loves you and blah blah blah go fuck yourself, you fuckin traitor.

• codemoney 07/08/2010 5:26am

I think were screwed.
    1) WV Govenor won’t appoint someone…will run election in November. Can anyone wait for that?
    2) Unemployment down ‘sharply’ 21,000. Course that is people who ran out and gave up on refiling. BUT…sounds like a good excuse to toss the bill.

• UnemployednHouston 07/08/2010 8:56am

DO YOU LIVE IN TEXAS? Did you know that both United State Senators for Texas Senator CORNYN®and Senator HUTCHINSON®have consistently voted AGAINST the unemployment extension???

PEOPLE, LET THEM HEAR OUR VOICES!

IF YOU HAVE A PHONE, PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL DAILY! Call Senator Cornyn in DC: 202-224-2934 and Austin 512-469-6034. Call Senator Hutchinson in DC: 202-224-5922 and Austin: 512-916-5834. Tell these Senators to VOTE YES and pass the unemployment extension bill when they return to DC on July 12th.

SEND THEM EMAIL DAILY!Senator Hutchinson’s email is http://hutchison.senate.gov/contact.cfm and Senator Cornyn’s email is http://cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=ContactFor

UnemployednHouston UNITED WE STAND AND DIVIDED WE FALL!

• UnemployednHouston 07/08/2010 9:01am

CALL AND EMAIL YOUR SENATORS TODAY AND EVERY DAY UNTIL THE UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION BILL IS PASSED! Both opencongress.org and senate.gov have links to their phones and email!

I reside in Houston, Texas and I am a taxpayer who has worked non-stop for the last 38 years and today, through no fault of my own, I have been unemployed for the last 6 months. I search relentlessly, daily for a job. There are simply not enough jobs to go around in this economy.

SENATORS CORNYN AND HUTCHINSON: PLEASE STOP BLOCKING THE UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION BILL AND USING THE DEFICIT AS AN EXCUSE! This is an emergency and it needs to be funded out of emergency funds. It is unfair to try to balance the budget on the backs of the millions of unemployed Americans who paid into the tax system!!! PASSING THIS UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION BILL IS IMPORTANT TO THE RECOVERY OF THE ECONOMY!

UnemployedNHouston UNITED WE STAND AND DIVIDED WE FALL!!

• mikeqhawaii 07/08/2010 12:28pm

i apologize – i see what your referring to – my 7/7 post. a paragraph of that post has been deleted. size maybe? i don’t think it could have been deemed “offensive”. anyway, sorry. point taken.

• Star58 07/10/2010 5:40am

My husband and I were talking….He seems to think that the Repubs will flip when they come back. It’s all to make voters think that this is all the Dems fault and that they are giving in “out of the goodness of their hearts” and vote for them. They all know that this is an emergency and should be paid for from emergency funds. So all babies born will have over a hundred thousand dollars in debt on their backs. What ever happened to “it takes money to make money”? The rich have been saying that for years. Everyone forgets that the money will not be worth that much 50 years from now. If that’s the case we have had the equivalent of thousands of dollars of debt through the years.

enrico17 07/10/2010 7:22am

Star 58, I hope you are correct, and it is good to think positive, but I never thought they would leave for July 4th vacation without extending benefits, I thought for sure one side would care and give in but they showed their true colors. Why I feel that they will not vote yes is because Repbus now know that they will have Byrd’s interim senator, hopefully as a yes vote, but it will not be for a while because of the Gov. 1 to 1/2 week delay, so the Repubs have more time to make the Dem’s look bad. They are not worried about the children of the unemployed who may not be going to college because of their decisions, who knows what is gong to happen down the road, we can reduce the debt throught the years but the children of today only have today.

lordgotmilk 07/10/2010 9:08am

I could maybe see 1 or 2 flip sides on the issue during the break due to constant pressure from their constituents, we’ll have to wait and see. I could also see a larger push on compromise from the Repubs, but that will only be as strong as Reid’s willingness to hold this hostage. In the next 2 days we need to put a lot of pressure there. He’s the one that’s held this hostage to the idea of compromise.

Personally, I only need the payments I’ve missed and probably a few more to help me keep our bills paid and put gas in the van to go out and market my own business. Once I can line up a few clients, I’ll be on my own. I’ve actually found a small group of individuals in this same predicament. We are thinking about pooling our skills (a few variations in specializations) to group together as one business. We are meeting this week to discuss it. Anyways, we just need the minimal support of our unemployment long enough to get clients lined up.

• lordgotmilk 07/10/2010 9:30am

I have now written Voinovich for about the 10th time. I’m getting ready to look up Reid to mail him.

• codemoney 07/11/2010 6:16am

I believe the soonest that this will be acted on is August since the WV legislature has to decide to let the govenor appoint someone.

enrico17 07/11/2010 4:22pm

That will be to late, they leave in Aug until after labor day.

• lordgotmilk 07/11/2010 7:27am

Today is the day to push. I have written Voinovich and Reid. I urge you all to write Reid about bringing compromise to the table. If you have a Republican Senator, I urge you all to write asking them to bring compromise to the table and if compromise fails, to get this passed. It is the single-most important state-side issue at the moment. It’s an investment in the future of this country and the workers who want to get back to work.

One flipped vote is needed to get this out of the filibuster. If we all send those mails today, we give them something to think about tomorrow. Their point is noted, we need to reign in spending, but not on the backs of those of us who are unemployed through no fault of our own, who are looking for work daily and more than fulfilling our commitment to try to find work, and who have been responsible tax payers for all of our lives.

Stand up and be heard Today!

Jonascord 07/11/2010 2:32pm

Sorry, my Senator is Coleman, (OK). He wants to be an idealogical hero, and is leading the fight to kill this.

lordgotmilk 07/11/2010 4:51pm

No matter how idealogical he wants to be, you should still make your voice heard. If he wakes to hundreds of emails about this, then we are telling him that he must answer to us for his actions. I understand the fight they are making and believe that they have just jumped the gun on this by about 6 months. They are simply thinking only of November and not beyond that. We do need fiscal responsibility, but for now that should come as making companies that get monies to be accountable for each dollar they get for building business and creating new jobs. Once most of us are back to work, they need to switch to cutting deficit spending, but politicians are the last to understand what’s needed when.

• jrhill 07/11/2010 8:21am

why don’t we just all denounce our US Citizenship, move to Mexico and become a Mexican citizen?

Then we can just sneak across the border and go to California like the other 15 million illegals..

Definitely be able to find a job, plus free food, free education, $2,500 towards a new car, free health-care, free housing and free cash assistance each month!! Can’t beat that deal can ya?

As long as there are taxpayers willing to work and pay taxes, the Dems and phony Republicans in congress will keep dishing us out freebies hand over fist.

Right now they are scheming and plotting to come up with an Amnesty bill that will make each one of us “instant US Citizens” for sneaking into the US from over the boarder. This bill will surely be packed full of all kinds of benefits and goodies! As well as allowing us to vote, so we can make sure the Democrats and phony Republicans stay in power for ever and ever…

This may be our last hope… what do you guys think?

• grant3719 07/11/2010 8:58am

Hell, they can extend the existing benefits all you want, but it won’t do me any good. I have run out completely. This is the second month the mortgage and car payment have not been paid. I have been steeling scrap metal from wherever just to pay the utilities and bye food. We have no insurance on anything so don’t get in my way. Why can’t they at least do something that will help create jobs? Hell, combat was better than watching my family go hungry. I say fuck them all it’s time to start the revolution. The terrorist are not overseas. They are our Washington. Let’s arm ourselves and get the domestic enemies out of Washington. OK maybe not, but if something doesn’t change, we may have to. In the meantime you had better start locking your doors I don’t have any choice, I won’t see my family starve!
    When the fed see this post, you working taxpayers can pick up my bills. I’ll be in JAIL for “freedom of speech” or “domestic terror” or something.

jrhill 07/11/2010 10:26am

jail = free food, free housing, free education… go to the gym, nice hot meals every day, go read at the library… heck, you can probably even get a job in their also much easier than you can out here.

nice comfy bed to sleep in each night, roof over your head to keep you dry… free TV and cable, electricity…

play basketball and cards, watch movies and tv or heck, just sleep all day….

hmmmm…