H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

jrhill 07/11/2010 10:28am

btw… i’m just being sarcastic to make a point..

nothing EVER is worth turning to sin and giving into the devil for…

NOTHING!!

don’t do it friend… the “earthly” matters mean nothing compared to what awaits the believer..

Jonascord 07/11/2010 2:30pm

It’s where I’m headed. My ex-wife lied her tukas off in court, because I wanted to know where she was gambling away our money. Domestic Violence=The man is ALWAYS guilty. Thus, I’m a felon on probation, and now, thanks to the UI extension stall, I can’t keep up with the fines, I headed in. I sometimes wish I’d actually hit her, just to deserve this. I’m 59 years old, and I’m wondering what went wrong.

lordgotmilk 07/11/2010 4:25pm

I live in Appalachian Ohio, where my grandmother was raised during the Great Depression. If it gets much worse, I will have to resort to the types of things they did to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. My grandmother was a person a great faith, I may never know anyone with that much faith and to hear her tell the stories was so out of character. I’m beginning to understand where they were. I do feel that they need to extend it further. I think the fear of extending benefits further is because we are at a point where, as a country, we need a great shift of workforce and no one seems to believe enough in any one way to act.

We need to design, manufacture, market and service our products here. I believe our small businesses are the key, but until enough have figured out that it is what we need to do to get out of this, we’re all left behind. Anywho, enough of my rant. Keep up the good fight and do what you need to.

lordgotmilk 07/11/2010 8:28pm

Something I forgot about earlier, since you are scrapping. Any fridges or freezers you get a hold of to scrap, if you don’t know, there is actually a good chunk of #1 copper there if you take the time to get it out. Ask others when you take loads in how to get it out. Also, if you get into a few job site dumpsters, look for the temp wiring they use. They throw that out and it takes a little work to strip it, but if it’s not braided line, it’s #1 copper once you strip it.

• brokechristine 07/11/2010 12:28pm

I have prayed, cried, protested, wrote the president, congress, my senator, local radio and tv stations and it makes me sick to my stomach to count on this extension. I freakin hate it. I am an educated, 40 something single woman who worked 3 jobs to pay for a college education ( no assistance) I have raised my son (23) to believe that if you work hard, save, don’t spend and strive for your dreams you can make it happen.I worked for everything I have. I have been and will always be a picture of the working poor- I have never been able to save enough to buy a home, get a new car, shop at the mall, or go on a real vacation.I have spent the last 6 months desperately looking for work!! I’ve gone half out of my mind on what to do…when my employer closed 8 months ago, I had to start all over again.I am depressed and feel like a f’n loser- I need a job- so I can support myself, I have no futher dreams of being rich, having a home, new car etc…i just want to live-is that too much?really?

• brokechristine 07/11/2010 12:44pm

I’m scared- depressed- frustrated-fed up-shut down-embarassed-ashamed-and praying that God will help me in my job search- I have only my son as far as family goes, and it is humiliating to ask him for gas money so I can job hunt. It has always been a struggle to get by, I’ve never expected great digs, no competion with the Jones’- I just want a job that pays the bills, let’s me stay cool in the summer-warm in the winter-allows me to see a doc when I am sick. I could use prayer from those of you on here who are believers and can appreciate my situation….broke, depressed and prayin.

lordgotmilk 07/11/2010 4:44pm

brokechristine,

I myself am facing eviction any day, electric shut off on the 19th along with cable. My fiance and 5 of her kids here at home. All we’ve ever done is be able to eek by, keeping the bills paid and food on the table. Keep in mind, you’ve done all that you have until now. There is no reason for shame. Hold your head high. Keep positive, no matter how bad and except graciously what help your son can give. It’s not a sign of weakness in this economy and that’s what family is all about.

Keep positive in your job search and be creative. I myself have a few options because I looked outside the box. One is a job and the other would be a partner in a business of a group of us working together to market our skills to small businesses. While waiting to hear from one, I’m setting up meetings for the other.

Just remember, you aren’t alone. We are in this together.

brokechristine 07/11/2010 5:34pm

Thank you for the kind words. Life here is South Dayton OH is so bleak. Guess I am just overwhelmed, like everyone on here. I guess it’s just a pride thing with my son- you’d think at 40 ish that I would be in better circumstances. The big boys haven’t considered that we’ve all closed out our 401k’s and we’re desperate. Hell, my bonuses (which is how I paid the main bills) were non existent the last 4 months on the job so that munched on what little savings I had. Cashed out the 401K to pay Cobra- so I guess we’ll see what happens. I may have to take an extra blood pressure pill as I stay glued to the Congressional hearings until God knows when. Again, thank you and God Bless us ALL

jrhill 07/11/2010 5:22pm

christine & everyone else out there! Keep your faith!

I know you are tired of feeling discouraged. Whether or not your situations change, you can experience joy, peace, and contentment. Circumstances don’t have to dictate your emotions. You have Someone on your side who is always available to help you, strengthen you, and uphold you.

Go to this website: http://www.intouch.org/

click Watch Video

• enrico17 07/11/2010 4:13pm

Just read where Manchin will not be appointing an interim Senator until after the Thurs. special session, that is if they conclude all business that day. The earliest someone can be there is a week from this Monday. Do the math, see how many days before August recess. Why is he stalling, even as he says with pressure from Washington. Does he not want his state to be the deciding vote. Do we really want this guy as a senator with all the back tracking he is doing. If Reid waits for WV vote, and does not compromise with the Repbs, this bill if finished until Nov. We don’t need another Repub or Nelson in the Senate. God help this country.

• enrico17 07/11/2010 4:19pm

Just read where Manchin will not be appointing an interim Senator until after the Thurs. special session, that is if they conclude all business that day. The earliest someone can be there is a week from this Monday. Do the math, see how many days before August recess. Why is he stalling, even as he says with pressure from Washington. Does he not want his state to be the deciding vote. Do we really want this guy as a senator with all the back tracking he is doing. If Reid waits for WV vote, and does not compromise with the Repbs, this bill if finished until Nov. We don’t need another Repub or Nelson in the Senate. My senators voted yes, but being that this bill effects everyone in the country, I have written and called many Repubs. God help this country.

• whywasilaidoff 07/11/2010 8:24pm

Our faith will get us through this and we will be stronger. This I believe. I pray that these senators had a nice long vacation with plenty of time to reflect on the power that they hold in their hands. I wrote them and I know you all did too. They know where we stand and that their jobs are in jeopardy because we can vote them out.
    Good luck this week everyone!

• Star58 07/12/2010 4:49am

Brokechristine,

You have my prayers. I am in the same position and I’m 52. I have gone on welfare. (I have a 16 year old at home)And I feel blessed with that. I can’t pay my rent with it but my husband (who is disabled) and I (hair coming out do to stress and I have glacoma) can now go to a doctor and we have food. I am blessed that my family is paying my rent for a couple of months. I will pray for you, me and all of us who are sinking.

• Star58 07/12/2010 5:39am

Also, since I am now on welfare until the UI benefits start up again (fingers crossed) I found out that the state of MO requires you look for work. To aid in this you are given an allowance for GAS, child care, and cost of interview clothes if you need them to look for work. This is not, repeat not an ideal solution. (Not enough to pay rent, bills etc.) But it is something. I had to swallow my pride (broke down and cried in the interview), but God is good and He has better things in store for me.

• Loriann123 07/12/2010 7:39am

Hey, you know the old saying “Network?” use it! I was outside yesterday and started talking to a neighbor. She mentioned someplace I never knew I could apply to because I thought you had to be certified or specially trained! Whats more, it’s doing something I’ve always wanted to do, helping the disabled! NO< I do not have the job, nor have I gone to apply, doing that later today. BUT, it’s someplace that does not advertise it needs help!

As someone already stated, get creative… I am an accountant, but I’m looking anywhere. I used to make $17 an hour, the job I’ll be applying for is $9. …..

Good luck everyone, and don’t give up! Hey, there’s always places that need janitors right?

Widestance_Politics 07/12/2010 7:59am

Not to sour your positive ideas on job hunting but, you would think there would be jobs such as janitorial available right?…..Not here…those jobs are handed out, sometimes by the State itself, to immigrants…I used to make 28.50, and have been applying for jobs at min wage…the problem is that my past history on my resume already lets them know that I will be quitting as soon as I get an offer to return to my previous field…..I guess that is what they call “overqualified”? I think the only job I actually have a chance at securing is dancing in an inflatable cell phone……

• monday239 07/12/2010 8:02am
    I am no longer a taxpayer. I am a white single unemployed adult over 40 with no children, and welfare is not an option . Employers preference target groups are minorities first, then the following WOTC,

Long-term TANF Recipient.
    Other TANF Recipient.
    Qualified Food Stamp Recipient. An 18-39 year old.
    Designated Community Resident. An 18-39 year old ;
    Summer Youth Employee. A 16-17 year old
    Qualified Veteran.
    Vocational Rehabilitation Referral.
    Qualified Ex-Felon.
    SSI Recipient.
    Hurricane Katrina Employee.
    Unemployed Veteran. A veteran hired after 2008 and before 2011
    Disconnected Youth. age 16 but not age 25 on the hiring date,
    Most target groups’ maximum credit is $2,400, but some are eligible to receive more:
    $2,400 for each new adult hire;
    $1,200 for each new summer youth hire,
    $4,800 for each new disabled veteran hire, and
    $9,000 for each new long-term family assistance recipient hired over a two-year period.

I fit none of this criteria

• monday239 07/12/2010 8:06am

I wish congress would quit with the stimulus funding, it puts people out of jobs so employers only hire the ones they get paid from the govt to hire.

oneofthe30millionunemployed 07/13/2010 6:18am

Yep, it’s one of the reasons that the most qualified for the job is getting discriminated against. They just don’t want us. When they are hiring one person for a job and they receive thousands of resumes for it they are picking the one they will get the most stimulus money for.
    That lie that they keep spouting about 1 job for every 5 people is a big fat lie too because I know they get thousands of resumes for every one job. They are not counting millions and millions of people in that number because they are supposedly so-called “discouraged workers.”
    Also, I’ve noticed that the kids that are lucky enough to find a job aren’t getting very many hours. My daughter and all of her friends are having that problem. I believe it is because they get stimulus money for every kid they hire for the summer so, they are hiring 4 of them and giving them 10 hours each instead of 1 at 40 hours.
    This country is messed up!!

• Star58 07/12/2010 12:21pm

Well here you have to have experience to do anything. Cleaning buildings…experience. Flipping burgers…experience. You can’t be unemployed amd don’t be overqualified. Before I got laid off we had an opening for an entry level job. People with Master degrees were applying. The manager started throwing these away. She said we would spend too much money training people who weren’t going to stay.

• sassysally50 07/12/2010 1:52pm
    99er’s ..The fat lady just Sang

Google: Unemployment Extension Tier 5, where is it

Unemployment extension tier 5 has been put behind after getting disapproved from the house and they face a large criticism from all around America.

According to the reports, unemployment extension will only provide extension time to the existing four tiers and it does not cover or provide any extension to unemployment extension tier 5

satdog 07/12/2010 4:57pm

Politicians knows the job issue in this country there are too many exhausting benefits. Too many people out of work that need a lifleine. Get a Bill for Tiers 5 , 6 and extend it for one additional year and stop the games it is absolutely needed why are you continuing to do this. Democratics lead and get it done! Politicians spend money on other things without question why is it that this is an issue! Washington time is running out and patients by ALL Unemployed. There are not enough fulltime jobs to support Millions out of work.

monday239 07/12/2010 6:38pm

no one replying here has received 99 weeks, guaranteed. You’re barking up the wrong tree sassy.

• Jess01869 07/12/2010 7:26pm

I never even hit Tier 2…it says I can file for a new claim July 31st unless benefits get extended by then…I’ve been without benefits now for 6 weeks, doing my job searches,land making my payment requests…does this mean I get back pay or screwed complete;y if I don’t qualify for the claim July 31st if benefits AREN’T extended before that day? I can’t get through the unemployment office to ask…can anyone shed some light?

oneofthe30millionunemployed 07/13/2010 6:05am

Your July 31st date is irrelevant to the situation. If they pass this and still make it retroactive like they are supposed to then you will get the back pay for the weeks you have missed whether it is before July 31st or not. When you re-file on July 31st for your new benefit year it will deny you at first because you haven’t worked recently but just ignore that and if the date extension is passed you will move on to Tier 2 anyway.

Jess01869 07/13/2010 8:56pm

Thank you so much. Just curious though…I thought Tier 2 was based on what was worked in 2009 (according to Texas Workforce Commission anyway-Tier one for me was based on what I worked in 2008.)I worked at a company for 6 years and was wrongfully terminated and got unemployment, 2 months later I got a job and was wrongfully terminated again after only 2 months of working when that company was going under and needed to find an excuse to fire me. I worked 8 months in 2009…so wouldn’t I qualify for my new claim July 31st? I really hope I get the extension as opposed to having to file for a new claim qualifying or not, actually.

• codemoney 07/13/2010 5:40am

I am in the same boat as monday239.

• oneofthe30millionunemployed 07/13/2010 6:08am

The Senate isn’t even talking about the extension and it’s not even on their schedule for this week. I’m starting to wonder if they are even going to pass this at all. They think everyone’s just going to disappear into a black hole and forget about it or something. Unbelievable!!!!

• Bernie Sanders is talking about it now.

I was wrong. It was about raising taxes instead.