H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

MTeinert 03/18/2010 7:32am
+ 16
in reply to opuspenquin Mar 12, 2010 2:44pm
I don’t appreciate you calling me a deadbeat because i got laid off from my job of ten years making more money than you and your mother combined because of the real deadbeats who take loans that they don’t pay back. Now i have to settle for this unemployment check. You’re a deadbeat that has no idea what is going on so i suggest you keep your prissy mouth shut.
vmo1969 05/23/2010 11:10am
+ 15

Well, I found out why unemployment went down, when you reach your limit of weeks they will not let you file unemployment even though you have exhausted your moneys, you are still unemployed and they should allow us to be counted as unemployed instead of making the numbers look better. We still do not have a job and now we have no voice in the numbers. This is unacceptable. We should be counted and not discarded, I have been actively everyday for 20 months looking for a job, even the minimum wage jobs but they will hire a high school student before me because I have to much job history, but I need a job. Add more weeks, we are looking for jobs, there are none out there because the economy is not coming back fast enough and if there is not more weeks added, more people are going to loose their houses and the economy will not recover. The government helped out the banks and automotive industry’s, other country’s, when our country’s people need help also.

Alant 06/25/2010 6:01am
+ 11

Dear Senators, I just want to say thank you. Thank you for giving tax breaks to companies for moving overseas causing me to be laidoff. Thank you for voting against the ext. for unemployment, now we don’t have to decide what to eat today because now we can’t buy anything to eat. Thank you for calling me and millions of Americans out of work “lazy and dead beats”. At least now we really know how much you care about us. Also I would like to say congats on giving yourself raises, I will sleep better underneath some tree in the woods knowing you will not be going hungry. Last but not least, Thank you for turning my America Dream in our American Nightmare. I do have one question, How can you live with yourselves after turning your back on your own people? You send our children to war with other countries so those countries can have a better life while you let your own fellow Americas suffer. Oh I forgot, they have oil! In God we trust, In our government, we no longer can!

dartcanyon 03/12/2010 10:53am
+ 10
in reply to NorCalGurl Mar 12, 2010 7:13am

CNN/HLN just had a piece on about people who are cheating on unemployment and that Sen. Byh, I think, opposes the passage of what the Senate just approved. There are cheaters in every system including the very people who run this country from Washington. Until each and every one of them is honest, straightforward and does NOTHING wrong then I don’t want to hear a damn word about anyone else. The vast majority of the unemployed are honest people who look for work regularly and can prove that.

richc 03/19/2010 12:16pm

I am soooo tired of reading these comments from the people that we must be lazy or go flip burgers,,,etc. I am long term unemployed and about to run out,,,and there are NO JOBS. And these tier 1 @ 2 people just got their safty net till the end of the year and now they want to start back biting the rest of us. If your not going to post positive comments OR information to help the rest of us,,,please keep it to yourself.

BillSherlock 06/16/2010 7:22am

Here’s a thought-start sending empty boxes to our “beloved” elected officials (senate & house)-maybe they will figure out that ‘MOVING DAY" is coming and they better start saving their $$$$ for a u-haul. I’m also sending them the address to the local unemployment office. Don’t get mad-just get even!!!!

brokechristine 06/19/2010 7:31pm

Our leaders are worried about a welfare state. What they should be worried about is the unemployed rallying together with what little resources we have and taking a road trip to the capitol, making signs, using bullhorns and making an unemployment quilt with each square representing an American family who’s American dreams have died.

NeedJobs 06/27/2010 8:11am

I’ve been doing a lot of research while awaiting the outcome of the Unemployment Extension Bill H.R.4213 and S.3520. What amazes me is that the unemployed seem to now be perceived as “The bad people of our Society whom are contributing to our Nations Debt.” I disagree. We are the American middle class workers out of work due to the recession and not through any fault of our own. I worked every year of my life since I was 16 years old and even worked through college. My SS Statement can vouch for this.

njcoolchik 06/23/2010 12:44pm

Drug testing – are you kidding me? Mr. Esteemed Elected Politician, don’t you know that most companies already DRUG TEST as a condition of employment? We are looking for JOBS that we have the documentation to prove our search in an recession where unemployment is at its highest. We are not out getting high looking for free money. Living on unemployment as opposed to having a job is not what we want to settle for personally and for our families. We need JOBS.

I am 39 years old and part of the older working middle class that had her credit destroyed, 401K evaporated just trying to survive. Pass the bill already and help us by providing the funds that you already promised by creating the Tiers and EB Benefits in the first place.

Otherwise if I need to go pee in a cup, I will use the Senate bathrooms and be sure to leave it on Joe Biden’s desk!

Abaratarrr 07/28/2010 8:45am
in reply to Star58 Jul 28, 2010 4:38am

we do not need to get into an argument over whether we prefer Budweiser or Bud Light (doesn’t matter which one you choose the company still gets your money), I would hope our focus here would be to have benefits extended and to do what ever it takes regardless of our personal cult affiliation to get a tier 5.

There will never be a 5th tier or weeks beyond 99 as long as the democrats continue to believe that if they do nothing the republicans will take the blame.

They have yet to even propose a tier 5. Baucus publicly stated that 99 weeks Pelosi said that they will not pursue another tier of benefits, Nelson voted against the last extension.

We need a tier 5 saying that you will blindly do as your cult says regardless of whether or not they help or hurt you, hurts our cause. Vote for who ever you want but in the mean time at least try to pretend to be paying attention to which individuals are helping and hurting our cause

Allana1 06/23/2010 8:41am

OK everybody it is Wednesday the 23rd of June. We have until Friday the 25th to get them to pass this bill or we are stuck until after 4th of July most, likely the 6th because the 4th falls on a Sunday and they (government employees) will observe it on Monday. I just went to whithouse.gov and emailed the president have you? I’m going to start working on the rest of capitol hill right now. I was just going to email MY senator but they ALL need to know what they are doing is irreprehensible and selfish! They are jaded because some of those old timers have been on the hill so long they’re out of touch with what is going on with their costituents and what is really important for US not THEM!

ufuknjakoffsincongress 06/16/2010 4:05am

My eyes are wide open, I know who our leaders are that represent the unemployed!! My fellow-unemployed, come Nov, plz do not vote ignorantly…To those that bash us, we will not forget..congress continue dick’ng around, you are only so lucky we dont have the money to visit you personally..I’m so sick and tired of you mtherfckers!! YOU ALL are causing undue stress and turmoil, no jobs for the quantity of unemployed, yet you continue to lie and say “it’s getting better”, umm NO, and repugs..if you think your getting the next available seat, NOT when you throw “WE THE People-THE UNEMPLOYED” under the bus!! ufuknjakoffsincongress!!!

tmo520 06/25/2010 7:49am
in reply to loganstorm Jun 25, 2010 6:27am

I agree with you loganstorm. Does it really matter at this point who is at fault? Republicans & Democrats who have been in control over the years are to “blame”. We’re all f’ing Americans and should be helping our own. I know voting in November is important, but I don’t know how we will all be contacted on where to vote if we don’t have a HOME address. Will they send our mail “under the bridge” where we’ll all be huddling? Let’s quit bitchin’ about who is at fault (like our government does) and continue to email, call and ask for help. That is what we can do again and again and agin – so do it!

rhian116 06/27/2010 11:02am
in reply to Genesee Jun 27, 2010 9:31am

Because you’ve done such a good job at back up your insults, Genesee? I’ve looked up your profile here, and it seems to me that you only registered for the sole purpose of harassing people who are down on their luck, and you condemn everyone here for being lazy, for being reliant on the government, for taking money from hardworking Americans such as yourself, correct? That’s the basic drivel that you’ve been taught to parrot out, right? When was the last time you picked up a book to do more than balance out a table, or better yet, when was the last time you read a book that didn’t back up your already pre-conceived ideas and read one that challenged you to look at the other side of the field? While I will agree with you that there are indeed people who abuse the welfare system, and even the UI system, choosing to do nothing beyond sitting on their butts all day every day doing nothing, this is a recession. (Post 1)

bhrodeoaz 06/19/2010 10:34am
in reply to RetiredPublicSafetydotCom Dec 16, 2009 6:36am
Then Senators who oppose this bill are attacking the middle class americans like myself who work in the construction industry. They want to piss and bitch and moan about boo hoo whos gonna pay for our unemployment.? Hmm i am gonna guess we are going to pay for it our selves, with the govts ability to throw trillions of dollars to banks, automakers supervising boards(not the workers), and yet they can not help out its own citizens. I know that with out the middle class construction workers NOBODY would have a car to drive built by americans, on roads that are built by american workers, to buildings and/or work built by american workers. Yet the senators bitch and moan wondering about taxes and shit. Set your political bickering aside step the f- up and take care of the people who put your fat asses in office. Otherwise we will getyou the hell out its simple.
loganstorm 06/25/2010 6:27am
in reply to Jax26 Jun 25, 2010 5:59am

I’m soooo sick of hearing who’s fault it is… The fact is, this country is in turmoil. Right now, who gives a chit who’s fault it is? It’s broken… so instead of pointing fingers… FIX IT. Everyone is so busy wasting time placing blame when all that energy could be put into doing something about it! It reminds me of a group of people standing in a circle over a dying man. Instead of giving this man CPR, they’re pointing fingers at who took his breath away. By the time they stop their bullheaded BS, the man is dead.

mrscowhall 03/19/2010 10:45am
in reply to lefisca Mar 18, 2010 7:25am

If there were jobs flipping burgers we would. Your knowledge of this issue seems to be impaired. THERE IS NO JOBS… What planet do you live on, or maybe the recession has caused you to lose touch with reality. We are in tough economic times and for every one job available there are at least 7 people applying for it. Get a clue!!!

njcoolchik 06/23/2010 12:48pm

Or better yet, I would like to submit my resume and application for the Senate Pee Collector Position.

I have extensive experience in dealing with Senate Crap for over three years.

References provided upon request.

Abaratarrr 07/22/2010 9:45am
in reply to DTyner Jul 22, 2010 9:36am

there will never be a tier 5 as long as the democrats believe that if they do nothing that the republicans will take the blame.

This is not a democrat vs republican thing, if the democrats were on your side they would have proposed a tier 5

The dems and republicans are on the same side we are on the other.

A 5th tier is desperately needed and it has to come from the democrats who are ignoring us because they think we will blame the republicans for their inaction

MTeinert 06/21/2010 2:34pm
I think it’s just hilarious how convinient it is to not pass this bill due to the excuse of the national deficit. All of a sudden the deficit is now a concern because the middle class needs a bail out. Who was complaining when we spent billions bailing out the banks who took that money to pay the fat salaries of these greedy ceo’s and pay for multi million dollar beach partys. How many billions of dollars a month to pay for a war in Iraq that seems to me is doing nothing for us? These greedy assholes in congress who dont want to pass this bill is because they dont want to stop shipping jobs overseas for free so they dont have to pay as much for labor and they wonder why there’s no jobs and millions of people are unemployed and they have the nerve to object on this bill and blame the democrats who are trying to fix this nation for racking up the deficit. That is just a crock if you ask me and why are all republicans sticking together to buy into this is beyond me?
KASwann 06/18/2010 4:50am

I was unemployed in Nov 2009 and fell through some loophole as my benefits ended May 29th 2010. WOW 26 weeks and I have exhausted my benefits? I am competing with people who have been off for 52 weeks and more and I am off any benefits? Hardly seems right that I fell through this crack. Fix it please!! Take off the extra 25 bucks and let us have our regular extended benefits please!!! Make this bill pass and pronto!

mrscowhall 03/19/2010 10:59am

Well again we go through the same routine and we all know that this is just the prelimanary reports. This bill does noting for the long termed unemployed and we are still in a recession. The jobs are scarce if any and we are expected to find employment when companies are still laying off workers due to not being able to afford to keep them on. There is definantly something wrong with people who dont believe that we are in a recession and think there are jobs out there for the picking. Wake up!!!. I am a 43 yr old woman who has a degree in business and I have been unemployed since 04/30/08. I send out 15-20 resumes per week and no one has responded. So, you tell me, is it my fault that the company I previously worked for, laid me off, went out of business or maybe its my fault that comapnies are not hiring. If I had the power to make those kinds of changes dont you think I would at least create a comapny for myself, hire myself and other unemployed workers. Get real!!!!

JoshR 05/31/2010 5:29pm

Currently, hedge fund managers’ income is taxed at the lower capital gains tax rate rather than the regular income tax rate, which is higher. It creates situations where billionaires end up paying a lower tax rate than their secretaries.

Thats messed up.

loganstorm 06/16/2010 12:22pm
in reply to sackerman4 Jun 16, 2010 12:16pm

I also agree that there are cheats in every system, and they don’t care that they are hurting those of us (and our children) who are in true need. I am also a libertarian/conservative and don’t agree w/ the full bill. I don’t agree how they lumped it all together to begin with. Our country is in such turmoil and there are no easy answers- but I do know there are so many families in dire straits, including mine. I would rather NOT have to depend on this… I would rather be working to support my family and teach my children not to depend on the government, but dammit, I need this right now.

Debbie119 06/17/2010 3:56pm

First off, I applaud Sen. Brown from Ohio!!! He think he said it just like it is. Secondly, many people have to pay more for their health insurance now and many many more lost their retirement that they thought was a guarantee. I would love to know what we need to do so that Congress and the Senate have to pay at least 50% of their health insurance and I would love to do away with their retirement plans. Thirdly, I have to do twice as much for the pay cut my company did that was company wide in order for all of us to keep our jobs. I think it is HIGH TIME, that they take a HUGE pay cut.

APascarella1 03/24/2010 6:37am
in reply to richc Mar 22, 2010 3:24pm

you know what i just realized. my roomate who got layed off before me and on unemployment before me will be collecting unemployment longer than i will because of the dates we fall on for our last filing. the system is messed up. i wish we could just vote all these idiots out and replace them with normal people, not self indulgent jack asses. oh well.

sldhouston 06/14/2010 2:13pm

As of this evening, June 14, 2010, the bill to extend unemployment has STILL NOT PASSED! These leaders went on break for a week. They foolishly played games last week. This is the 3rd week they are debating over this. Meanwhile several thousand Americans are relying and depending on a check, many who’ve been cut off because these leaders think it’s cute to play games this way. Next-to those of you who tell us to go get a job working retail, fast food, supermarkets/stores, etc. they do not hire us. Those of us with degrees are not a fit for them for two reasons. One-they know we’re over qualified. Next-they know we need the job to fill in the financial gap for now until something better comes along so they do not hire us b/c they know we’re not in for the long haul. I have also been told that managers and company executive DO NOT look to hire those who’ve been out of work and are considered unemployed. It is an every day fight just to have the door slammed in our face.

enrico17 07/22/2010 10:37am

Finally, way to long coming. I wish each one of you and all the unemployed the best of luck and hope that you will all soon be back in the working force with the salaries you had before. I am in a different positiion but hurt for all of you, especially if you have families. You will be back on top that you can be sure and remember who helped you when you needed it.

Donny, this website was amazing, not only for the up to date and accurate information you provided, but it gave people a place to talk and support each other and know that they were not alone. Even though you may read about numbers of people, when you hear their stories it makes it real.

God Bless you all

dartcanyon 03/12/2010 10:53am
in reply to NorCalGurl Mar 12, 2010 7:13am
I don’t see any of the crooks in Washington being denied paychecks, benefits or anything else even when they get caught and that seems to be a pretty regulat thing with the fat daddies. They are playing with out lives, giving money to foreign countries, foreigners in this country and approving piddly bills that are really stupid and unnecessary. Take the money from NASA and take care of Real Americans out of work. We don’t need to be in space and have no business there. Keep that money and the exorbitant paychecks to play in space right here on terra firma and we’ll all benefit.
mouseissue 06/08/2010 9:15am

From the sounds of things, all of us 99ers (i.e. long-term unemployed who’ve exhausted all unemployment benefits) will be in dire straits (if not already).

I have been looking for ANY job (including ANY minimum wage job) and have been unable to find one for over 2 years! I am a married professional with three children that was laid-off back in August 2006, and am STILL unemployed. My last tier of benefits (Tier 4) ran out back in March 2010.

Last month, we started using food banks for food.
We have begun selling belongings to keep our water and electricity on and pay rent. Very soon, we will be HOMELESS!

What do our elected officials care? They were in too big a hurry to go on another of their many “paid breaks” while more and more Americans suffer.

I do not hold out much hope for folks like me.