H.R.471 - Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act
To reauthorize the DC opportunity scholarship program, and for other purposes. view all titles (7)
All Bill Titles
- Official: To reauthorize the DC opportunity scholarship program, and for other purposes. as introduced.
- Short: Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act as introduced.
- Short: SOAR Act as introduced.
- Short: Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act as reported to house.
- Short: SOAR Act as reported to house.
- Short: Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act as passed house.
- Short: SOAR Act as passed house.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 2
- Past Seven Days: 7
- All-Time: 13,724
Official Summary3/30/2011--Passed House without amendment. (This measure has not been amended since it was reported to the House on March 17, 2011. The summary of that version is repeated here.) Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act or SOAR Act - (Sec. 4) Authorizes the Secretary of Education to aw
Official Summary3/30/2011--Passed House without amendment. (This measure has not been amended since it was reported to the House on March 17, 2011. The summary of that version is repeated here.) Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act or SOAR Act -
(Sec. 4)Authorizes the Secretary of Education to award five-year grants on a competitive basis to nonprofit organizations to carry out a program to provide expanded school choice opportunities to students who are District of Columbia (DC) residents and who come from households:
(1) receiving assistance under the supplemental nutrition assistance program under the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008; or
(2) with incomes not exceeding 185% of the poverty line, except in certain grandfathered circumstances. Requires the Secretary to provide funds to the Mayor of the District of Columbia, if the Mayor agrees to specified requirements, for:
(1) the DC public schools to improve public education, and
(2) the DC public charter schools to improve and expand quality public charter schools.
(Sec. 5)Prescribes requirements for schools participating in such grant programs.
(Sec. 6)Requires the Secretary to give priority to certain applications, including those of eligible students notified as selected for a scholarship for school year 2009-2010, which was later rescinded by the Secretary.
(Sec. 7)Limits the amount of assistance for school year 2011-2012 at $8,000 for grade school students and $12,000 for high school students.
(Sec. 8)Prescribes nondiscrimination requirements, with certain exceptions for religiously affiliated and single-sex schools. Requires each participating school to comply with any testing requirements determined necessary for evaluations which use the strongest possible research design for determining the effectiveness of the opportunity scholarship program. Requires the Secretary (through the Institute of Education Sciences of the Department of Education) to administer the nationally norm-referenced standardized test at least one time during a school year for each student receiving a scholarship if a participating school does not administer such test or the Institute does not receive data on such student.
(Sec. 9)Requires the Institute to use a grade appropriate, nationally norm-referenced standardized test each school year to assess participating eligible students.
(Sec. 12)Repeals the DC School Choice Incentive Act of 2003. Prescribes special rules for funding opportunity scholarships for DC students.
(Sec. 14)Authorizes appropriations for FY2012-FY2016.
...Read the Rest
Organizations Supporting H.R.471
- St. Luke Catholic Church
- National Taxpayer's Union
- Black Alliance for Educational Options
- Heritage Foundation
- D.C. Parents for School Choice
- Hispanic Council for Reform and Educational Options
- ...and 3 more. See all.
Organizations Opposing H.R.471
- National Council of Jewish Women
- American Association of University Women
- American Atheists
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State
- American Civil Liberties Union
- National Education Association
- ...and 7 more. See all.
Latest Letters to Congress
H.R.471 Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act
October 29, 2012
I am writing as your constituent in the 21st Congressional district of California. I oppose H.R.471 - Scholarships for Opportunity and Results Act, and am tracking it using OpenCongress.org, the free public resource website for government transparency and accountability.
Rep. Nunes, your most-recent roll call vote on this bill was 'Aye'.