H.R.4851 - Continuing Extension Act of 2010

To provide a temporary extension of certain programs, and for other purposes. view all titles (5)

• Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide a temporary extension of certain programs, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as passed house.
  • Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as passed senate.
  • Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

Jans1116 04/15/2010 6:10am

AnnetteNuck1, good one!

juliegreene 04/15/2010 6:16am

I too am a Republican and after working since I was 16, I find myself on the “other side” at 42. My UI benefits ran out on 04-03-10, after my elected officals went on break without voting on the emergency extension. The state of CO will not even accept applications for extended benefits until the bill passes. If the bill passes, I can apply and wait up to 5 weeks for benefits to start. I am facing for the first time letting a house go back to the bank – walking away from a credit card account and kissing my 700+ credit score goodbye. I know I am not alone. I am just at the end of my financial rope and the safety net that I was able to help support others with for the past 26 years with my hard work is gone when I need it the most.

• AnnetteNuck1 04/13/2010 4:55am

Well, there is always one overbearing, self rightous idiot, who is so caught up in his wonderful uneconomically challedged life that he cant see beyond the realism happening to so many of us unemployed who want nothing more than our jobs back. How dare you pompous fool to deny/delay so many who have paid into this great country of ours then bicker over where the money will come from. You dont bicker to give yourself a raise or send monies to countries who are known to be corrupt and will continue to let their people live in poverty regardless of how much money you send for your new vacation spot you intend to create. Boy I would do anything to meet you face to face and let you walk in my shoes. Problem is you sir would never be able to handle the stress. You argue that are children will have to pick up the tab. Thats a good one. Is that really the best you can come up with. That has been happening for decades due to poor management on the governments part that means you!

• g4ready 04/14/2010 9:02am

i promise to get 2-3 minimum wage jobs and support myself. i will take any mention of intelligence or my college degree off my resume and get a job. i accept my trashed credit. i will continue to live check-to-check. i’ll humble myself .. but can you help me with my already late april rent first?

this is me giving in. the rich get richer, the poor work harder. fine. i dont have much time anymore. what good is universal healthcare if i cant afford groceries?

• TCBlackcat 04/15/2010 1:40am

FL -Well the Senate is recessed today, and the decision goes to tomorrow. Why should I even care (though I truly care about those of you that it will help). I am a long-termer, and there looks like nothing for those that have exhausted everything. Unemployed Workers website has a petition to sign to request a Tier V, if any of you are interested (I’m burned out). Have applied for at least 20-30 jobs this week alone and taken online qualification tests, with high results, only to be left out of any opportunity again. I am older, and can’t endure the physically strenuous jobs of my youth at low wage ($7.25 hr). I didn’t even make that much money, and this would still cut my income in half from what I’ve made in the past. At this point, I have more coming at me than I can handle, and I’m putting this whole thing in the Lord’s hands. I’m over it. I sit here everyday working towards a higher degree, while avidly looking for work, and I get absolutely nothing in return.

dartcanyon 04/15/2010 2:14pm

4/15/2010

Senators have given final passage to the Continuing Extension Act (H.R. 4851) by a vote of 59 to 38.

Prior to that action, they adopted a cloture motion on a substitute amendment to the bill offered by Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-MT). It passed 60 to 38. Based on an agreement reached before the votes, the substitute amendment was subsequently adopted and added to the legislation once cloture passed.

The Baucus substitute amendment keeps all of the same provisions currently in the bill but extends them for an extra month, through the end of May. This will, in theory, give House and Senate leaders enough time to work out differences and move forward on a larger bill to extend programs for the remainder of 2010.

This bill extends “jobless benefits, subsidies for the COBRA health insurance program and federal flood insurance through May 5,” according to the Washington Post.

TCBlackcat 04/15/2010 6:55pm

Thanks for the info, but this does nothing for the long-term unemployed that have exhausted all of their benefits. Kudos for those that may still have something coming in:)

• TCBlackcat 04/15/2010 1:43am

FL -continued …….

I have read many articles regarding this issue, and one says that the Senate is set to recess again in 6 wks, and that the long-term unemployed should prepare for a long hard summer. So what’s new, after the nightmare that we went through last Thanksgiving and Christmas (neither for me). While they were enjoying their 2 wks off for Easter, I wasn’t even able to buy my 2 granddaughters a basket. I have been suffering so much since layoff February 2009, that I’ve almost had to hybernate in order to simply survive. I can’t be a grandmother, and I can barely afford to even seek work. The UC office won’t even give you a gas card unless you not only get a job, but you have to get the job through their website (they give $40 one time, if the money is even still available). Just how do they expect us to go back to work? It takes money to make money. God bless all of you; and especially those of you that have to feed and care for an entire family.
  • 4413bowen 04/15/2010 6:23am

I am a 30 year old single mother with one option left….that is to go to school. I cannot afford to go to school to better provide for my child if they do not pass an entension or revise the opening of new claims for those of us who haven’t worked in over a year. I have had 3 extensions and all is exhausted. Please help! I need to pay my car payment, car insurance, and put food on the table. That is not asking for much!!! I will take on the debt of school loans in order to “Hope” that a job will be easier to find with a degree.

4413bowen 04/15/2010 6:25am

I live in Arkansas….if that may help.

• bonza32 04/15/2010 9:54pm

Once again the long term unemployed are tossed to the wolves…Ponder this: How many months of consecutive 160,000 new jobs would it take to re-hire over 7,000,000 unemployed Americans…

Yeah, things are getting better…in a year or three…

Try to get our elected officials to answer THAT question!

TBH, why isn’t the mainstream media asking the very same question and demanding a answer? We all know Senator Bunning’s feelings on the matter…give the guy credit to actually SAY what Congress is thinking…“Tough S—-!”

• dlh 04/16/2010 3:25am

Don’t know if this will help us 99er’s, but couldn’t hurt. It’s probably been posted here before but just in case it was missed by some.

• TCBlackcat 04/16/2010 6:04am

FL -Long-term Unemployed

• AnnetteNuck1 04/16/2010 7:23am

Well, I telephone my local office today. They could tell me absolutley nothing except for “we will be notifying you by mail of your eligibility. We do not no how many weeks that will take. Call back in 2 weeks”. They would not even look me up to verify my eligibility for Teir 3. So, what do I do in the meantime? Should I go to the welfare department? I can not believe what my many years of hard work has come to. Of course as I do every day I applied for new job listings both in and out of my field. Still with limited response. Thank you Senate for holding onto this bill for almost 30 days as it only took the House 1. I will see what I have left to sell off to keep a roof over me and my childrens head. At the age of 42 laid off for 14 months have worked since High School I find myself losing everything material, my pride and my confidence in providing for my children financial support. The Banks need to start lending to the building industry so they can utilize Stimulas Granted.

• dlh 04/16/2010 7:27am

Trying to find out for my daughter whose unemployment will start this week, does this new bill give her the extra $25?

dlh 04/16/2010 7:28am

This week will be the first time she’s collected.

APascarella1 04/16/2010 8:33am

APascarella1 04/16/2010 8:35am

it extenda current conditions (or should i say, conditions prior April 4th)so yes she will get the 25 extra as long as the requirements are met through your state unemployment rates. from what i know.

• APascarella1 04/16/2010 8:57am

just information for everyone on here following this bill and the extention bill for the rest of the year. last night the extension bill was signed by president obama. the bill was recently amended to extend benifits into the beggining of june. (this comes straight form my states unemployment website) hopefully this gives congress the time it needs to help eveyone out untill the end of the year. and all you tier 4 finishers, good luck i still dont see anything that says they are looking at a tier 5. on a side note, pray for me. i finally have an interview after 6 months of being unemployed for a decent job that will pay more that min wage. (fingers crossed)

AnnetteNuck1 04/16/2010 11:40am

The best of luck to you. My former company may be sub contracting me for work hopefully soon. Hopefully, things will begin to pick up and we can all attempt to regain financial control of our lives.

USCITIZEN10 04/16/2010 1:31pm

WE PROBABLY HAVE TO START ANOTHER CAMPAING REGARDING THE TIER V,BECAUSE AS YOU SAID,THEY DIDN’T MENTIONED IN ANY OF THE MESSAGE IN INTERNET AND IN THE CONGRESS WEB PAGE.ALSO I CHECK RECENTLY THE EDD WEB PAGE AND ONLY HAVE OLD INFORMATION,THEY NEVER UPDATE THEIR PAGE AND NEVER ANSWER WHEN YOU SEND AN EMAIL,BECAUSE BY PHONE IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM.

• Private 04/16/2010 9:32am

So, nothing for those of us that have exhausted Tier IV. I am in my third week of no benefits and still no job. I wonder how many others are in the same predicament.

AnnetteNuck1 04/16/2010 11:42am

Hundreds of thousands are in your position. The economy will never recover under these conditions. God help us because our government won’t.

USCITIZEN10 04/16/2010 1:25pm

I THINK THAT THE BILL PASS AND OBAMA SIGNED ALREADY, SO HOPEFULY NEXT WEEK WE CAN HAVE SOME NEWS FROM EDD.FEW DAY AGO A RECEIVED A LETTER FROM EDD WHERE THEY WANT TO HAVE AN PHONE INTERVIEW WITH ME,PROBABLY BECAUSE I SENT ANOTHER APPLICATION AFTER MY TIER IV END. SO JUST WAIT UNTIL NEXT WEEK.

• Blackarachnia 04/16/2010 2:06pm

For those of you who do not know this, #1 Obama signed this into law last night

1. this isn’t for all of those that have exhausted their unemployment, this caters to those who haven’t been on it. I was told by unemployment representative that since I have exhausted my Federal, there isn’t an extension available to me at this time.

I’m extremely frustrated that Congress went through all this trouble and didn’t include everyone, so how am I to keep my power on? (I received a 10 day termination notice yesterday) or pay rent?

Anyways, I hope this saves you a phone call. I was told I’ll know when I can file when I receive a notice in the mail stating so.

• TCBlackcat 04/17/2010 12:59am

FL -FYI to all of you (even the long-term unemployed). The President has already signed the bill to extend the UC benefits, and this ALSO INCLUDES THE LONG-TERM UNEMPLOYED! Yeah! Finally. Have attached the info from the Associated Press. Have also viewed the same info on other sites, no matter what you read here that looks bleek. The long-term have to re-apply, and they are working to extend the entire deal thru the end of the year before it stops again at beginning of June (that is the only road-block right now). Just pray that they do this and it gets done before their next recess. God Bless all of you, and check out the attached link …….

USCITIZEN10 04/19/2010 4:30pm

I GUESS DOESN’T INCLUDE THE LONG TERM OR 99ERS. WE ARE OUT!!!!!!

• TCBlackcat 04/17/2010 1:01am

And yes, God Bless the President and those in Congress that had mercy on the unemployed suffering, so that we can again have the resources to survive and the money to try and regain jobs.

• TCBlackcat 04/17/2010 1:04am

FL -Also ……. the payments will be retroactive to April 5th. Check out your local UC offices, and jump on it!

JoblessInPa 04/17/2010 1:50am

But what does this do for people who exhausted Tier IV April 5th…. NOTHING as far as I can tell from what I’ve been digging up and I’ve been unemployed for well over a year and I lost my UC on the 5th like everyone else. So being long term unemployed I fail to see how this is supposed to get me two more months of UC when they dont mention anything about people that exhausted Tier IV on the 5th.

I turn in apps every day and almost never get a glimmer of hope, guess I’ll have to go hungry now and pray to god my car learns to run on E.