H.R.5353 - War Is Making You Poor Act

To reduce the $159.3 billion from the discretionary overseas contingency operations funds in the President's fiscal year 2011 budget for operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan (without preventing use of mandatory funds from the Department of Defense budget to execute the War on Terror), and amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide individuals a "War is Making You Poor" tax credit against the savings attributable to the overseas contingency operations reduction. view all titles (3)

• Official: To reduce the $159.3 billion from the discretionary overseas contingency operations funds in the President's fiscal year 2011 budget for operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan (without preventing use of mandatory funds from the Department of Defense budget to execute the War on Terror), and amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide individuals a "War is Making You Poor" tax credit against the savings attributable to the overseas contingency operations reduction. as introduced.
  • Popular: War Is Making You Poor Act as introduced.
  • Short: War is Making You Poor Act as introduced.

• RileyE104 05/21/2010 7:28pm

Please join the Facebook Group for this bill if you support it!

Invite your friends!

Don’t forget to contact your Representative about Co-Sponsoring this bill!

• Spam Comment

• Maki 05/24/2010 4:31pm

Is Grayson for real? This is an excellent bill! I hope it happens.

• ludicrous0909 05/25/2010 11:37am

I would love for this bill to pass, unfortuanly all of my Representative’s and Senators are morons.

• gbrooks314 05/27/2010 6:44am

Hey ludicrous, my rep is a moron too, but we kept harassing her and she finally co-sponsored HR 1207, the bill to audit the Fed. Keep pecking away at the establishment….

• antidemagoguery 05/27/2010 9:04am

Oh please spare me the idiots in congress. . . “War is making you poor act” even if there was noble intent, placing such a name on a bill ensures it will gather no serious consideration. The fools who waste our tax dollars are certainly not limited by political affiliation — all of them should get the boot — including the dim bulbs who have anything to do with this train wreck . . .

• Spam Comment

• mraith 06/14/2010 12:27pm

If Obama would keep his promise to end our wars we would have only a few years of applying that sum to our deficit till we had surplus. That would of course would also require spending less money in other sectors. This bill is a baby step, but it is a step in the right direction. I think we need to dream big…why do we need a standing army/navy/air force of the size and scope we now have?

• dankennedy73 06/24/2010 7:17am

I agree with this bill, though I think we should go further. Our forefathers were against large standing militaries and police forces because they become a deterent to the people’s liberties and yes this has hapened here in our country.

• xcrissxcrossx 07/27/2010 6:15pm

I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding this bill. It seems like it is supposed to provide an initiative for the government to withdraw more troops by giving a tax credit equal to the costs of the war, but couldn’t they simply ignore this and end up putting us farther into debt?

xcrissxcrossx 07/27/2010 6:17pm

And don’t get me wrong, I am voting Aye simply because it seems a good way to say “I don’t want to fund this war,” but couldn’t this just end up increasing our debt a lot?

• Spam Comment