H.R.5618 - Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010

To continue Federal unemployment programs. view all titles (5)

• Official: To continue Federal unemployment programs. as introduced.
  • Popular: Restoration of Emer- gency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as passed house.

• CitizenG 06/29/2010 10:23am

Reid will botch it. I think he is stuck on putting the previous loaded bill through and that’s it. His aid and Sen. Kerry’s Aid seemed adamant about that.

• MrHappy 06/29/2010 10:25am

What is next, or are we just screwed?

• Ktula7 06/29/2010 10:25am

I’m soooo sick and tired of this. This should be a no brainer! Now they go on their break while we wait helplessly in the shadows…It’s cruel and injustice and plain anti-American!

• Jax26 06/29/2010 10:29am

So now they debate it and after that it only has to pass by a majority but then it faces the same issues in the Senate as the other bill did. End of the day, it doesn’t look like anything will happen until after the July 4th recess and by then, the topic will have cooled so much that it may not be readressed

• Jax26 06/29/2010 10:33am

The last chance for anything before the July 4th break is the stand-alone bill in the Senate. It looks like Reid is trying to get something done with it according to this article but who knows.

BilliBrooks 06/29/2010 10:37am

When is the vote in the Senate going to be? I just sat and watched the voting. Praying for 289 and so mad at democrats and no votes

• codemoney 06/29/2010 10:39am

They are killing me.

• regularperson 06/29/2010 11:07am

It just failed. I’m so sick of this.

• wjp0023 06/29/2010 11:22am

We are screwed, not sure how to make ends meet now. They won’t do anything more until after the break(July 14th). Nice holiday to support our country, We need change in the Senate. Remember this in November and future elections. Millions of innocent families are suffering now, thank you senators.

• illwill2dotoh 06/29/2010 11:39am

This is despicable, nothing but playing games with those that are unemployed.

• jereme28 06/29/2010 11:39am

Thank You Mr. Levin for your efforts. I am a huge fan of you and your brother. You made a strong case for us, and I am sorry that your republican colleagues are too delusional or ignorant to understand what you were saying. We the people heard you loud and clear. As for Mr. Camp, what a dumb dick!! He cares so much about our children, yet how the fuck does he expect us to feed them. Lets break it down, I could go out and flip burgers, which pays nearly nothing, so therefore I need section 8 housing, food stamps, child care assistance, and medication not to go ape shit tending the McD’s drive thru window. Mr. Camp definitely deserves that R in front of his name, because he is definitely a R-tard.

Stashdav 07/06/2010 6:52pm

Jereme the only problem here man is cant get section 8 anymore at least not in my state (VA) so needless to say were screwed!!

• Tteley 06/29/2010 11:50am

Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion but the fact remains that we have thousands almost millions of people unemployed. people are losing there homes, they have no food, or can’t pay thier water, electric,or gas bills. Its going to be a horrible year if this bill is not passed. All I can do is pray for a better situation.So many children and families are beyond rock bottom.

illwill2dotoh 06/29/2010 12:09pm

There are MILLIONS unemployed, about 10-15 million overall.

“Without an extension, about 1.7 million people will lose benefits by July 3, and the legislation would have retroactively restored benefits to recipients, some of whom started losing benefits at the end of May, according to Democratic lawmakers who introduced the bill.” -marketwatch.com

So basically there is about 1.2-1.5 million people that have gone through their regular 26 weeks of unemployment so far. That means 1.5 million people will loose their houses, cars, become delinquent on cc bills. That will go without food, electricity and gas.

We cannot borrow to give our own citizens that lost their job through NO fault of their own. We can give money to Haiti, a pointless war in Afghanistan, a Dem member of the house just stated on cspan that we spent 350 billion on the war in Afghanistan alone. So the bill to extend benefits is just 10% of that total, but we can’t do that because we can’t borrow anymore money.

jrhill 06/30/2010 1:01am

not “almost” millions…

almost 10 million

satdog 07/01/2010 1:37pm

We need tier 5 to help ALL Unemployed otherwise these bills are useless. Wake up unemployed !

Stashdav 07/06/2010 6:56pm

Agree its easy for people that are working to sit and bash the unemployed I worked for 36 years and now i’m at the mercy of others i hate it! Senate it wasnt our choice to become unemployed!! Please pass this and help us get over this hump or we may see another 1929!!!

• Abaratarrr 06/29/2010 12:02pm

it failed reviving a 2/3rds majority by 16 votes, if they will vote again but using normal procedures it will pass. A republican will propose an amendment to pay for it, the amendment will fail then the bill will pass.

Disgustingly but unexpected only 30 repubicans voted for this bill, if 16 more republicans would have voted yes they could have sent this bill to the senate today, 24 democrats did not vote yes on this bill. If 16 more democrats had voted yes this bill could have been sent to the senate today. Now if they immediately start normal procedures they can have it to the senate by Thursday, Friday at the latest. there are at least two senate republicans that said they would vote for a stand alone extension even if it is not paid for so it looks like this could come down to 1 vote in the senate.

Please Pelosi get this thing rolling, and people please keep calling Reid and beg that he allows for a vote on a a stand alone unemployment extension.

leslierickard 06/29/2010 12:13pm

the major issue in the senate this week is the fact that the senate will not be in session on Thurs. due to the funeral of Sen. Byrd. It is being rumored that the senate will have the vote to passtheir version, but they need to get it to the floor…supposedly Reid has been working with Repubs. behind closed doors to try to offset some of the costs.

BilliBrooks 06/29/2010 12:49pm

(cont)I support our troops who are doing their duty. However imagine if all the troops who are overseas fighting for who knows what were back on US soil. They could have rebuilt New Orleans, they could be cleaning up the Gulf, they could actually be here taking care of our country, hell they could even build factories where Americans can work so everything we buy wouldn’t say made in China. Hey I have an idea for where to get the money to fund this bill how about build a few less tanks, jets, or command centers. Or how about all the state representatives and senate members get $300 a week for the rest of the year instead of their insane salary for saying aye or nay and take that and fund this bill.

BilliBrooks 06/29/2010 12:50pm

A bill in the senate just got shut down that is going to cause 100’s of thousands of people to lose their unemployment benefits each week and cut funding to Medicare so that Drs may start turning patients away. It was a 30 million dollar bill, meanwhile we have spent over ONE TRILLION dollars for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. You can go to costofwar.com and watch the millions of dollars just keep rising. SC alone has spent over 7 billion dollars. (gotta love this republican state) They say they are worried about the deficit, that has to be a joke otherwise they would have seen what this war is doing to our country and shut it down a long time ago. Great you spend a trillion dollars so a country most people probably can’t even point to on a map gets the right to go vote, (of course they run the risk of being shot or bombed but hey at least they can make that choice since we spent a trillion dollars on it) And meanwhile WE THE PEOPLE are going to be living in card board boxes.

• jbbeesley 06/29/2010 12:47pm

I just read that the house is going to vote on this again, regular procedures.. If that happens then it will be passed through and on to the senate.. I hope it does.. but then it would be left up the senate to pass the bill. They are so worried about the elections this year, they need to because me as a registered voter, I won’t vote for them and I urge no one else too…

• nlp111741 06/29/2010 12:51pm

I agree that we must have passage right away. Can anything be done to keep Senators and Representatives in Session until they can come to an agreement…. No going home for 4th of July Holiday until this is resolved and the unemployment benefits are reinstated!

• jbbeesley 06/29/2010 1:27pm

I am totally floored by the comments that republicans have made and I am so ashamed of the republican party… You know they are so worried about adding to the deficit and yet they were not very worried about the deficit when they passed the bailout at what 900 BILLION dollars plus. How does that help pay my bills?? How does that help me get a job?? Oh, thats right it doesn’t but you know when it comes to tax time, I am definately going to pay for it…

• MTeinert 06/29/2010 1:51pm
    Its not just the unemployed who suffer from this, it’s also the small business owner who counts on people having money to buy their merchandise. Long time customers of mine wont buy because they have no money. It seems that everyone is broke now. What do we do? Close shop and joined the unemployed? Or should we get welfare and food stamps? We’re starving too! I hope that congress can see what is happening in this economy before its too late and all hell breaks loose because I feel like starting a riot so what do the unemployed feel? probably an all out free for all!
    BilliBrooks 06/29/2010 2:21pm

I totally agree. I want a to get a group together and all of us have some card board boxes with houses painted on them and camp out at our South Carolina state house since both Graham and DeMint are nayers

• ProducerJoe 06/29/2010 2:05pm

Last time I checked, employers have to pay the FUTA (Federal Unemployment Tax Act) for each employee.

So Unemployment benefits, extended or not (for ANYONE who was working), are ALREADY PAID FOR! Correct?

BTW, I am a producer waiting on renewal of IRS 181, (attached to HR 4213) which will create production jobs in the entertainment industry, literally.

So my second stupid question is, why then are these people holding up this bill because the cost is not being “offset”?

If it’s PAID FOR, it doesn’t need to be offset! PASS THE &$%#ING BILL!

Oh, I’m sorry, Mr. Republican (and some DINOs), I forgot you spent billions on the Iraq WAR! Maybe that’s one reason why unemployment benefits are no longer paid for?

My advice to all: Unless you’re on your deathbed in November, vote ALL INCUMBENTS OUT!

At this point, none of them deserve our time to research and select only those who voted NO on certain bills.

froggysmom 06/30/2010 8:20am

AMEN!!! after 30+ years of working and my husbands 40+ years of working, I’d
    say we more than paid for his few months of unemployment.

handout 07/01/2010 1:13pm

You still get paid the normal unemployment benefits it is the extensions they are stopping.

Stashdav 07/06/2010 6:59pm