H.R.5618 - Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010

To continue Federal unemployment programs. view all titles (5)

• Official: To continue Federal unemployment programs. as introduced.
  • Popular: Restoration of Emer- gency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as passed house.

whywasilaidoff 07/13/2010 9:01am

I was laid off from a Chrysler dealership in Missouri even though I worked hard and had more seniority than most of my co-workers. I can’t even see a car commercial on TV without spewing curse words. I had to call Chrysler and other brands many times while on my job and it infuriated me because I knew the call was leaving the states.
    I will pray for you and your daughter that these dicks in the senate get their acts together and grow some compassion.

stilltrying 07/13/2010 10:25am

Thank you for the prayers. Prayers back at you :)

Maybe this will make my ignorance shine like the sun, but why haven’t they cut off Welfare? If we are costing so much, what about the generational Welfare recipients??? I know there are a few people out there that are scamming the unemployment system but these people have been doing it for decades. Cut them off first you dumbasses!!

Also, if BP had to set aside 20 billion to pay for their economic/environmental screw up in the Gulf regions, why don’t our banks and Wall Street have to set aside 300 billion to pay for theirs??

• mkosinski 07/13/2010 4:35am

HEY CONGRESS! BAIL ME OUT!!!!! I’m not a Bank or Automobile Manufacturer, but I am AMERICAN!!!!

• mkosinski 07/13/2010 4:37am

Anyone have the names of our representatives that referred to the nation’s unemployed as LAZY?? I’d like to talk to them directly!!!!

• enrico17 07/13/2010 7:42am

We are forgetting that even if this bill is passed next week, it still has to go back to the house because of all the changes. However if they approve the house bill they may be a chance it could pass before their Aug. recess. But now I see that that bill did not pass. Totally confused on that.

You know the Repubs will delay even if they know the dems have the 60. I am starting to think this is all and dog and pony show on both sides to delay until after Nov.

Donny, can you explain the declined on the house bill. thanks

• peytonsplace007 07/13/2010 7:49am

This article proves what we’ve known all along. S. Kyl, the Republican Minority Whip out and out says to extend tax credits for the rich—EVEN IF IT ADDS TO THE DEFICIT!!! Yet he and his cronies are using the deficit argument in their attempts to not extend unemployment insurance. I expect some hypocrisy in politics, but this is a blatant slap to the face.

If I were wealthy, I would expect to pay more taxes. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles. In fact I would happily pay them as it shows I’ve got so much money, it doesn’t matter (ahhh, must be nice) and it is my belief we take care of each other, no matter your party or socioeconomics.

Kyl is delusional and needs medication.

• roadcase 07/13/2010 8:06am

Senator Jon Kyle on Unemployment Benefits: “It’s a neccessary Evil”

Senator Jon Kyle does not want to extend Unemployment Insurance unless it
    is “paid for” but wants to extend the tax cuts for the wealthy which are
    NOT paid for and cost $678 billion.

I see a fairly simple and elegant solution. Let the taxcuts for those
    making over $200,000 year expire and you will have more than enough to
    cover the cost of Uninsurance Benefits.

The unemployment rate is near 10% and even low paying jobs are hard to
    get. The impediments are everything from age to experience to health.
    Most unemployed can’t move back in with Mom and Dad because Mom and Dad
    are gone.

• Bongela 07/13/2010 8:20am

I am desperate for my unemployment benefits. I’m a college student who attends school in a neighbor county, takes care of my disabled mother who recently had a heart attack and is waiting on a hearing for her disability claim. What am I supposed to do now? I’m registered with 5 staffing agencies and apply to at least 5 jobs PER DAY – IN PERSON! I’ve applied for well over 500 jobs in the past year, but have had very few call backs, even less interviews, and not a single job offer. I was approved for food stamps, but it isn’t enough. How am I supposed to pay my bills, keep my cell phone on so a prospective employer can call me, pay for my mother’s medication, pay my bills, buy hygiene items like tampons, feed my pets? Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot that because I’m on unemployment I must be a vagrant who buys only. Thank you, Congress. I’m going through the hardest time of my life and you’ve made it even more difficult.

Bongela 07/13/2010 8:23am

… I must be a vagrant who buys only… “d-r-u-g-s” is a forbidden word? How about “illegal self-medications?”

jrhill 07/14/2010 2:11pm

its by design.

and is going to get worse.

they want as many people on their hands and knees crawling to the federal government for their very survival begging to sacrifice their freedom and liberty for “security” and “welfare”

it is a nightmare.. and a perversion of our beautiful Republic.

unless it is stopped in November, America will cease to exist as we know it and our wonderful society will start to decay into horror, despair and suffering..

It’s called “hope and change”

52.7% of the people voted for it… blame them

• raul677 07/13/2010 12:15pm

Does anyone know If this is Extend the dates on EB. I’m collecting in CT but Live in NY. The cut off dates for EB Benefits (which comes after all tiers) was june 26, 2010?

When the bill passes, will these dates be extended or it up to the individual state?

• raul677 07/13/2010 12:15pm

ridinghero1990 07/13/2010 3:03pm

When this bill passes it will restore federally funded EB to those states that are above a certain level of unemployment. When the funds are federally funded, the states use a different formula to figure out the unemployment rate. When the bill was not extended in June, EB was cut off because of a more conservative formula. It’s on a state by state basis, however this bill will restore federal funded EB for PA. That’s all that I know.

raul677 07/13/2010 3:48pm

Thanks I hope NYC follows

sparta776 07/14/2010 8:12am

sorry

• jereme28 07/14/2010 12:34am

It is obvious that we need another world war. During the 40s and 50s America was the industrial capitol of the world because we had destroyed Germany and Japan. Its that simple. I know how special we as Americans are, but the Chinese and Mexican arent special at all. Why should we have to face hardships when we can just kill them and literally destroy their nations and their ability to produce. I cant believe I am the first one to realize this. We need to stop using our military to monopolize the oil supply, which only benefits the wealthy, and start blowin the shit out of China and Mexico as I explained earlier. Why didnt you think of that?

sparta776 07/14/2010 8:15am

The only thing WW would do is total destroy the Human race , grow up

• peytonsplace007 07/14/2010 4:24am

So the Open Congress home page says Manchin will make the interim VW senator selection by Friday at 5 p.m. If the Senate stays in session over the weekend…the ball could get rolling on this a little quicker w/ all the procedural stuff that has to happen. Reid has to make the decision for them to work over the weekend.

I encourage everyone to blow up Reid’s email, phone & fax and ask him to stay in session over the weekend to work on this. They just had a July 4th break while so many could not celebrate due to their stalling. They need to work, even over the weekend, on this.

satdog 07/14/2010 4:43am

First of all governemnt better stop the games and get an extention long enough in this still bad reccession larger numbers of ALL Unemployed are happening everyday but not reported. The republicans started these delays, blocks months ago. The democrats know it is needed but are not leading or saying anything.The news is hiding with just a few hints now and then. ALL Unemployed need a BILL with new Tier 5 or Tiers 5 or 6 for at least one year and they know it in this poorly based job country. They spend on other things without a worry but when it comes to the ALL UNemployed Americans now in a still deep job reccession they delay. Get an additional Bill past with new tiers for one year and lead Democratics just passing deadlines is an insert which cut new Unemployed out before you can even start it! Stopt he daedline and get BiLL with new tier or tiers for one additional year it needed now with delays so people can afford to have lifeine to look for work!

• sparta776 07/14/2010 8:10am

sex offence provision is unconstitutional, GOP calling American Lazy is Right down Wrong and sign of Fat old White Elite, Don’t give a Damn about it People!
    You work on your Dime Congress Remember That!

• Sissypie2317 07/14/2010 8:46am

OK say they pass this bill now. What happens in November when it’s cut all over again. Are they expecting a job surge that’s gonna employ all these people in 4 short months?

jrhill 07/14/2010 1:50pm

nope.. in fact, my guess is that it will get even worse…

nope.. in fact, my guess is that it will get even worse…Come JAN 1st, just about every single TAX that you can imagine is going to be raised..Come Jan 1st, all of the bush tax cuts on small businesses, corporations and just about every other business or service in America will expire..Do you honestly think that companies are going to CREATE MORE JOBS as a result of this?the only jobs created, will be created by the Federal Government. So you better get a jump on the millions of unemployed and go take some Federal Social Service Exams so you will have a chance to get a job…Obama is a liar… plain and simple. He claimed not one single tax would be raised on any American Family during his campaign. He has lied every since being elected to office… you really think he is gonna start telling the truth now?

sucks.. but holy LOL! We’ve all been hoodwinked

HopefromCA 07/14/2010 5:57pm

jrhill
    Don’t forget that also everyone that gets benefits at their workplace will start getting taxed on that beginning Jan 2011. You are right. Its going to get much worse.

HopefromCA 07/14/2010 5:59pm

jrhill
    The only tax I am seeing that is going down for California is our property taxes with the price of homes crashing.

• Jess01869 07/14/2010 1:55pm

That may be why they don’t want to pass it at all now…

jrhill 07/14/2010 2:06pm

just wait until 15 million illegal aliens are given amnesty…

you think it’s tough to find a job now? just wait…

not only that, but every “illegal” given amnesty will be able to bring up to 15 family members from their country of origin into the US as well…

do the math….

it’s “importing” poverty…

what happens when you “import” poverty into any system? what do you get?

(hint: more poverty)

• DrSnark 07/14/2010 2:34pm

Folks! Empower ourselves! Time to move from Comments & calls to senators who view us as collateral damage TO focusing our energy on action – in the streets! In numbers that lamestream media can’t ignore. NO mention of EUC on Network News? OUTRAGEOUS! We may be broke & depressed but we’ve got to start making noise OUTSIDE of the internet. ACT-UP in the 80s re-defined activism, FORCED politicians to deal with AIDS, got drug companies/FDA to push treatments through. The sick were stigmatized then as we are today & most sheepAmericans still don’t care about anything unless it affects them directly. I search daily for signs of a March SOMEWHERE – I know DC is far away but People! Time to turn off the computers and get into the streets, even locally/multi-site, in numbers that CAN’T be ignored! THINK about it, Nov will be too late for many of us. Fewer AIDS folks made a louder roar than we millions, and they were DYING. A call to political action: ACT UP, FIGHT BACK, PASS 5618!! NOW!!

• DrSnark 07/14/2010 2:34pm

debsuslovic 07/14/2010 7:29pm

I’m more than willing to march in the streets. How can we organize ourselves to get this started & keep it going? Honestly, we have to figure out where to start. Step 1? Step 2? Step 3? I welcome any & all comments & suggestions on how WE THE PEOPLE can make our VOICES HEARD on this.

• Sannybeth 07/14/2010 4:10pm

I live in Phoenix AZ. I would definitely get involved in a March for unemployment extension but I don’t want to be the only one out there.