H.R.5618 - Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010

To continue Federal unemployment programs. view all titles (5)

• Official: To continue Federal unemployment programs. as introduced.
  • Popular: Restoration of Emer- gency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as passed house.

ShellyBee 07/07/2010 9:41am

I agree with voting out ALL INCUMBENTS!!!! Nothing will happen if we, the people don’t let these representatives know who butters thier bread. They were elected to represent the people, not go to Washington and join the good ole boys association. I live in Texas and have been laid off THREE times in the last three years. I am about to run out of my normal unemployment benefits. If this bill does not pass, I will lose my home and my car and NO ONE recovers from that. They become homeless with no clean clothes, no transportation and no phone to communicate with prospective employers. What a great country we live in. I can then qualify for food stamps and cook my food over a campfire, outside of my cardboard house. Oh, but wait, then I won’t have a valid address to receive a letter for a phone interview, hummmmm!

• ridinghero1990 06/29/2010 2:29pm

This will pass, at least the House, this week. Then, it will pass the Senate. Everyone relax — if the end result is never in doubt, why get stressed over the ups and downs?

illwill2dotoh 06/29/2010 5:20pm

July 2 is drawing near and nothing has been accomplished regarding this bill since the end of the extension. I received my last week for the week of 6.09 – 6.12 which was 300 bucks. I’m down to my last $190 and $130 of that is coming out for my sons insurance on the first. After that there goes gas money, food, child support. I will more than likely be a considered a dead beat dad by the end of July.

All the while Republicans say I’m just being lazy gettin $320 a week. Rather than the 45k+ a year I make when I’m working. Ya I’d rather 19k a year rather than 45k. Good logic there buddy, I love putting my well being in the hands of the government.

This bill should have been passed well before the extension expired, a week or two after at the latest.

bwanazulu 07/08/2010 9:42am

The initial bill should have passed with the Tier 5 and $25. We need to look at Europe and figure out how Germany and France can affort up to about 500 weeks; and Belgium and the UK almost unlimited UI benefits. This holdup is a ‘destimulus’. I agree with Sen. Brown that unallocated stimulus funds should be used for the extension… but that can be arranged by amendment. Brown should have voted for this measure; I’m embarrased to have voted for him. Besides the aforementioned, a filibuster is like a bunch of babies crying in a nursery and should be abolished! I am trying to find a list of all of the Reps and Senators who voted against each progressive version of this bill… and copy/paste onto every blog on the planet.

bd2376 07/13/2010 11:27am

It’s kinda hard to relax when you have 3 kids and rent to pay in two weeks.

• ProducerJoe 06/29/2010 3:05pm

To ridinghero1990,

Do you realize you could make MILLIONS selling that crystal ball of yours? LOL!

Thanks for the calming voice, but I’m sure it’s getting drowned out by the screams of testy landlords, hungry kids, ex-wives, etc. all across this land.

ridinghero1990 06/29/2010 4:30pm

This will pass. My advice in the meantime. Sell some things you don’t need, cut your cable and landline phones, only keep the basics, and when this passes make sure you start putting more and more money away. I cut cable, landline phone, and went to a prepaid phone plan. Too bad I can’t find a place to live for free.

• mikeqhawaii 06/29/2010 3:12pm

Any Hawaii citizens checking this bill, note that DJOU voted NO in the House vote. This individual is definately not part of the ohana, I had such high hopes. Remember this come November when he has to face Hanabusa to keep the job.

• eavina30 06/29/2010 3:13pm

everyone knows the obama administration is cleaning up after bush meltdown, now the republicans are using the political crutch of over spending to get re-elected. republicans are trying to get these corporate lobbyist backing to get major sponsorships and to get elected in office. I knew they would scapegoat anyone who got the presidency. I’m not from iowa i can’t farm some agriculture. i live in california were basketball players make more than a teacher or a doctor. most of these issues never hit home for the fortunate than they make us feel bad because all were trying to do is feed ourselves, and get back on our feet. the american people need to stand up and defend ourselves they tax us with no problem, but when there’s a problem they wanna turn there head and to the blame game. stop playing with our money, who give a fuck about new jersey and what the fuck there are doing there. we are all different, over saturated job markets and private sector lobbyist humanitarians we need fema

TeacherKS 06/29/2010 4:02pm

You shouldn’t throw stones when you voted the Terminator into office. Just saying.

• eavina30 06/29/2010 3:15pm

it’s time to destroy and rebuild http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NanDXAJCwQQ

• theunemployed 06/29/2010 3:22pm

where is the love for the people in this nation, its all gone wrong.i blame myself for this happening maybe if i watched these senators more closely than i could have voted better officals in.i appologize to you america,this is another sad day for this country and its people.

jrhill 06/29/2010 5:35pm

52.7% also voted the same… we were all fooled…

the damage done in the past few years will take decades to reverse..

and they are not done yet. just wait until the job-killing health bill and waxman-markey cap and tax global warming job killer goes into effect.. we havent seen anything yet. Wait until they give 13 million illegal aliens amnesty – you think finding a job now is tough? just wait…

sometimes I wonder if it’s not all on purpose.. by design. to destroy our society and “rebuild” it into something awful..

the damage done by this administration and congress will take DECADES to reverse and repair if it can be fixed at all..

November will be our last chance…

Biden and Obama are calling it “Recovery Summer”

it’s finally happened… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wccIqjrGGMk

jrhill 06/29/2010 5:36pm

keep the faith though… our founding fathers were smart men.. they knew that this was happened and built our constitution to allow us to “STOP” it…

I just pray it’s not too late..

dankennedy73 07/01/2010 5:27pm

Yeah and I guarantee that if they saw things the way they are today, most of our founding fathers would be more favorable to the social reforms that are spear headed by the Democrats you hate so much.

You should actually read about our founding fathers and see what exactly each of them believed in before invoking them to try to prove a point!

• lonnienyssa 06/30/2010 4:33am

Good Morning all!!! I have been up for hours awaiting a vote on the extension…. I feel it may all be for nothing. Does anyone know about what time cspan will have this vote on?

• jrhill 06/30/2010 4:57am

Sen Dick Durbin is talking about it now in the US Senate 9:55am ET

C-SPAN 2

there may be a short debate and then a vote? I’m not quite sure about senate procedures like I do the house.. they may be different

But I am listening to him talk about it now. He is saying that the failure to extend the benefits will actually impede the economy. Which he is actually right to some degree. It could “worsen” the recession even more.

I assume they will vote today on this.

jrhill 06/30/2010 4:59am

sorry i was referring to the Senate Bill… (Looks like im in in the wrong forums..)

but its still the same “ends”

sorry for the confusion

• froggysmom 06/30/2010 8:17am

I will do everything in my power to make sure my three children, my two step children, and all the grandchildren, will be at the polls. Lets make these
    —-holes members of the unemployed!!

• Star58 06/30/2010 9:24am

I went to Walmart and used the rest of the card on groceries, meds, etc. As my husband says Might as well, we won’t be able to pay the bill next month anyway. I have now maxed out all my credit cards. Bankrupcy is next I guess. I’d better find a job before that happens. They are checking credit ratings now. I now ask “are you hiring” EVERYWHERE I go. I can’t sleep and I feel like crying all the time.

• Star58 06/30/2010 9:42am

I just heard that Senator John Ensign of Nevada said that extending unemployment should not be considered an emergency. Nevada needs the extension, but unless it is paid for by cutting programs (for the poor I imagine) we should not get it. I wonder how he would feel if the shoe is on the other foot.

• Star58 06/30/2010 9:43am

Will vote again tonite or tomorrow.

• jmellom 06/30/2010 10:55am

9.1 % unemployment in this country – that count is from people who could sign up for unemployement benefits. Business owners (General Contractors for one) normally do not pay unemployement tax on themselves, just for their employees. With the thought, if they have to lay off all the employees, because the business has slowed, the GC will still make money doing the work myself. Not so, when the business is gone because of the economy, the GC can not apply for unemployement- therefore – there are hundreds of small business owners that lost their business and cannot collect unemployement that are never counted in the overall unemployment figure. So 9.1 unemployement is a joke – it is much higher because of business not be able to stay in business. Yes – maybe should have paid unemployement on the owner/president of the comppany, but we have had an economic blow up since the great depression – who could have known that Wall Street and Banks were going to rape this country so badly.

• jmellom 06/30/2010 11:11am

I have a stimulus package – and I have seen this comment many times on various web sites. Give each citizen 1 million dollars, and this economy will explode. People could pay for their homes, pay off their bills, start a small business and hire workers and the list goes on. That package would only cost the government 300Billion, make it 500K it would have the same affect. Tax free money like the banks and wall street received. Look at all the wasted money that cannot be accounted for in the Katrina disaster and people getting money for 911 that they did not deserve it. 300 Billion would be a small investment for the growth of this country and another benefit no more bickering from Dem and Rep on what unemployment bill to pass – that would be a blessing.

• tulips4you2 06/30/2010 11:27am

Unfortunately we won’t be celebrating the 4th this year, I am scraping the bottom of the barrel for food and the car sits with no gas, like millions of other unemployed Americans are at this very moment. I’ve been begging my landlord not to evict us for 3 weeks now and I’m just begged and borrowed out and It doesn’t have to be this way for all of us!

• kennerthward404 06/30/2010 12:01pm

This is wild. I recently worked temporarily with the US census and as of my final days I was advised that my extension was cut off. Prior to the Census work I had been out of work for over a year just looking for work. The wildest part about this is I’ve have given up on the city I currently live in (Atlanta,Ga) and decided to relocate to a place where it seems to have stable jobs( Washington,D.c.)GO FIGURE! So I’ve landed two jobs over the phone and ready to relocate and the few checks I needed are being held. This is holding me up from working and I’m waiting on the bill to pass to work. Some of the Congressional leaders are full of it. I so want to better my situation and move on and they are holding me back. I don’t think this is fair. I really just want to thrive and strive for the best and I was depending on that money. Please vote already so I can move on!!!!

• nicol 06/30/2010 12:16pm

this needs to be passed ASAP, stop the bickering and do your job, this should be top priority. millions of people are suffering now and millions more will be in the weeks coming if nothing is done, they want the economy to recover well without this bill there is no way that will happen. when people have no money there is no money to spend, people cant feed their families, or pay their bills. if they do not pass this keep that in mind when we vote in November i urge the american people to not vote for the ones that will not let this pass they need to go ASAP they do not care about us so why should they represent us…………

• jereme28 06/30/2010 1:50pm

Scott Brown has decided that he will study the bill during the 4th of July recess, and Harry Reid is not presenting the bill.

ridinghero1990 06/30/2010 2:57pm

What’s the source of this information? Everyone is posting something different.

ridinghero1990 06/30/2010 4:00pm

That’s the other bill Jereme… the financial reform bill.