H.R.5741 - Universal National Service Act

To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Universal National Service Act as introduced.
  • Short: Universal National Service Act as introduced.

• javeca 07/22/2010 11:24am

This is one of those off the wall bills that makes you think that the progressives in congress are trying to enslave the US population and create even more bureaucracies that no one can touch.

• iStephanieSays 07/23/2010 9:30am
    + 14

I was under the impression the 13th Amendment protected me from slavery. H.R.5741 sounds like totalitarian subjugation to me!

Foryourfreedomandours 07/29/2010 10:00am

Actually the 2nd amendment protects you from slavery, all the other amendments are hot air without the ability to defend yourself from tyranny.

• mkeddy 07/23/2010 6:35pm

This is a terrible idea! Slavery has been outlawed, Rep. Rangel.

• ExOrienteLux 07/25/2010 7:10pm

Hell NO! Too bad I’m too old to refuse to comply. This is outrageous. Typical government hack viewing the people as resources to use. If this passes, I"m leaving the country.

Foryourfreedomandours 07/29/2010 10:01am

Don’t you leave, make the tyrants leave!

• PCGURUROB 07/26/2010 1:39pm

I will never subject myself or my friends and family to this enslavement,“FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS” to quote Charlton Heston.
    This bill should be vetoed or whatever……..
    Really?
    I mean come on! Think about it! Who the heck is gonna wanna do this Mr Rangle. NO WAY DUDE!~
    PGR

• RickHeretikos 07/26/2010 8:56pm

SLAVE BILL

• Moderated Comment

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

gwwhited54 07/27/2010 4:15pm

Military Service is VOLUNTARY, have you not heard? In THIS economy why the HELL would anyone give up 2 years to a government that is giving jobs, money, and benefits to illegal aliens…NOT to mention the competitive job market issues!
    How old are you? Have YOU given 2 years to the Government? I spent 13 years with the US Navy. I would much prefer my 2 Sons and 2 Daughters, 26 to 31 years old, make their OWN decisions. They have jobs and careers that they would lose.

If you’re so gracious, generous, or WHATEVER…join the Peace Corps. It is YOUR decision!

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

invictusaequitas 07/27/2010 6:51pm

People are opposed to it because it’s infringing on their personal and civil rights. My body doesn’t belong to the state. Have you read a Brave New World? I suggest you do so. I’m not mokcking you and am not instigating or trying to sound condescending, honestly. I’m suggesting to you that the state, the powers that be, have no right or authority to mandate civil service. They have no right to mandate health insurance, either. It is their sole obligation to see to it that my rights are protected and this country is protected from foreign and domestic terrorists. Other than that, they really should stay out of our lives. Many people feel this way and this bill represents nothing more than the state’s ‘will to power’. It’s eerily reminiscent of Hitler’s youth ‘movement’. This is nothing short of a vulgar display of power.

• Gueinevere 07/27/2010 10:53am

This bill is nothing but forced servitude to whatever “emergency” the government concocts. “not necessarily military service”…in your dreams. As soon as they can get something like this to pass, they can do whatever they want to the country by simply declaring an emergency. No thank you. I thought I lived in the U.S. and not Cuba.

• hockeyguyinoc 07/27/2010 12:22pm

This law is under the guise that it is for War time yet by definition alone in the actual law it is for any job they deem necessary for as long as they deem necessary. It is flat out slavery and we already have Selective Services Act on the books if we need a draft.

• seattlehawks432 07/27/2010 1:29pm

Beyond the ridiculousness of forcing people into service I would also question how this would be funded. Seems awfully expensive.

• dmitchell58 07/27/2010 3:48pm

Another attempt to increase the size – and BURDEN – of the federal government. Not surprising that this is sponsored by a lifelong leech like charles rangel, a man who has never earned an honest days wage in his entire life.

• gwwhited54 07/27/2010 4:22pm

Other than his many terms in office sucking the big tax payer teat what has Charles B. Rangel the Bill’s sponsor done?? I think the Republic would be better served by cutting the MANY obscene benefits that politicians like him have STOLEN from the taxpayers.

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

invictusaequitas 07/27/2010 7:00pm

Patriotism, Mr. 666, is a willful and conscious act of selflessness. Handing down a mandate to the people ‘for their benefit’ is scary business. This, again, is the state telling you and me that they know what’s best for us, and they are sorely mistaken and are clearly overstepping their boundaries.

Helping people is an act of selflessness, it’s not the state’s business to force people to do the right thing and is WHY selfless acts of kindness have substance and mean something in first place. A mandate cheapens these acts. I don’t want anyone to do anything for me that isn’t in their heart to do. I’d much rather be shown compassion, which is defined only by being a genuine act, than to be a number on a governmentally mandated list of have-to’s. My body, as well as yours, is not property of the state or the American government. You can’t FORCE people to be patriots, sir, and by attempting to, you denigrate the honor and service of those who actually are.

• invictusaequitas 07/27/2010 7:08pm

This bill absurd. Please read the 2 responses I’ve written above. We must all take personal responsibility and write our representatives. I’m tired of being silent while this government steals my personal liberties. We are becoming a nation all too comfortable with allowing this goverment to overstep its boundaries. They work for us, not the other way around.

“The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: ’I’m from the government and I’m here to help.” Ronald Reagan, the last decent President of this country.

• taradawes 07/27/2010 7:47pm

This bill is ridiculous – if the government wants to promote people to do civil service and join the military that is fine – fund a program that would enable new civil service JOBS to be created not force people to join the government workforce or the military. I greatly admire anyone willing to join the military and fight for my freedoms, but I am not a military person nor do I wish to work for the US government, it’s my choice as an American to stay at home and take care of my house and my husband and one day my children. If this bill were to pass (and I pray it won’t make it very far before it’s thrown out) what would happen to all the stay at home mothers, will they just have to leave their kids with daycare and let them be raised there while they go off to fight a war or “serve their country” in some other capacity – the whole thing is quite ridiculous.

invictusaequitas 07/28/2010 11:18am

Tara,

Though there is a clause in the bill that essentially seems to protect against this notion, one cannot help wonder how quickly and easily that provision would be laid to waste as soon as the government deems such an act necessary. If they can pass a bill like this, and NOT AZ’s SB1070, we’re in serious trouble. I concur with what you say here. The founders of this country have to be turning in their graves.

• superpeople 07/27/2010 8:03pm

“The guy had been trying to introduce this bill since 2003….. knowing it would never pass.

“Rangel himself argued that the point of his bill was to express his opposition to the war in Iraq. In an editorial in The New York Times, Rangel said “if those calling for war knew that their children were likely to be required to serve—and to be placed in harm’s way—there would be more caution and a greater willingness to work with the international community in dealing with Iraq.””

invictusaequitas 07/28/2010 11:24am

“if those calling for war knew that their children were likely to be required to serve”

This statement, the most central point made in your post, sets up a false scenario because it presents a hypothetical scenario; this is NOT the case, and Rangel’s supposition, therefore, has no grounds. Many calling fow have served or have children who, in fact, do currently serve in our military. This statement suggests, in my opinion, that NO one who would have to pay a personal cost for war would therefore be inclined to volunteer themselves or their loved ones for service. In fact, the opposite is true. Those who serve in the military are well aware of the fact that combat is always a possibility, if not a probability. This is a weak statement, and actually demeans those we willingly choose to serve in the U.S military, as well as their families. It’s nonsense.

• hardkoreferrari 07/28/2010 2:09am

Isn’t democracy about us, the PEOPLE, electing officials to represent us, and basically do what WE want them to do? Not the other way around. As far as I knew, I was supposed to be living in a free country, where no one, not even my government can force me to do anything.

• SteveHorth 07/28/2010 4:03am

If any of the existing members of Congress feel a bit over-confident about their chances of securing a victory in the next election, then they should sign on as a co-sponser of this bill. That way their doom is ensured. This has to be the political equivilent to throwing an electric light into your own bathwater.

• tobyw 07/28/2010 4:11am

Terrible on several counts. It is a potential way to punish and control dissenters. It is potentially a “reeducation camp”. It is a way to undermine the all volunteer army and fill it with selected anti-military liberals and worse. It is a way to force the military to accept gays and gay marriage if the military thinks it unwise (do we need 4 restrooms and showers instead of 2?).

invictusaequitas 07/28/2010 11:26am

You listened to Glenn Beck yesterday as well, eh Toby? :)

Not a HUGE fan of Beck, but I’m not an opponent of his either; alot of what he says is true and makes a lot of sense. I applaud your comment.

• bunbun 07/28/2010 6:22am

i wonder if we would get paid for serving. if we were to get paid, i’d much rather support 2 years of service like this than the 2 years of unemployment benefits we just bought.