H.R.5749 - Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008

To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (5)

• Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as reported to house.
  • Official: To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as passed house.

• Anonymous 04/16/2008 2:02pm

The Ways and Means Committee today Passed this Bill – Now it’s up to the House to see this Bill gets Passed and for Mr. Bush to sign it into law and PASS IT!

hotcitykitty2 05/19/2008 10:00am

Just remember people ,our government is spending
    $5000 (thousand) dollars A SECOND on the was!

I suggest that “We the People” who are reaping the repercussions of a continuously failed administration of short sightedness start a calling chapagain to the white house..cause this bill is going to land on Bush’s desk……..
    I few thousand phone call might help

I lost my unemployment last month and the phone isn’t ringing for job offers.
    I live in a community that is hugely effected by the price of gas..hence ..tourist are down…
    call the white house ..its a cheap way to get the point across

202-456-1414

Folks this blog is great but we need to have a “right here and right now” in his face approach..
    The squeaky wheel get the oil!!!!!

202-456-1414

jle866 04/24/2008 4:10am

how long until we know ?

amandacaudill 06/28/2009 6:21am

LOVE IT! Mr. Bush…thats a good one…

• Synesthesia 04/16/2008 2:05pm

Here’s hoping they do.
    it’s seriously needed
    Seriously.
    Folks are struggling out here. And I’m one of them.
    Hopefully something like that will keep me afloat until I FINALLY GET A DECENT GOOD NICE JOB!!!!!!

• Anonymous 04/16/2008 2:13pm

I’m in the same boat – been looking for work since sept of 2007 – Here in Michigan the jobs are not there and it has been for way too long – sick n tired of looking and besides that – I don’t have the money to put in the gas tank to go look for jobs – That aren’t there.

• Anonymous 04/16/2008 2:14pm

All of the unemployed need this bill to pass as quickly as is possible and to bring it to the attention of the American public! This is as important as the tax rebates!

• Anonymous 04/16/2008 2:17pm

so w&M passed it today? When does the house vote? I was laid of 12-31-07 and have had nothing other than jobs who meet with me and then tell me I am to over qualified for the position..grrrr how do you get a job in this cruddy economy even when you are settling for less?

• Anonymous 04/16/2008 2:26pm

Finally good news~ Almost lost my car & home all this month. Can’t save them next month!!May GOD be with us on this vote!!!
    Unemployed in Northern California

Anonymous 06/06/2008 6:39am

My prayers are with you in Northern California. Governor Schwarzenegger sent a letter to Congress urging this extension. I think finally with these latest unemployment figures the White House is starting to notice.

• Anonymous 04/16/2008 2:51pm

House Committee on Ways and Means

For Immediate Release:
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008Contact:
    Matthew Beck or J. Jioni Palmer
    (202) 225-8933

Ways and Means Passes Extension of Unemployment Benefits
    Bi-partisan legislation would provide additional 13 weeks of benefits nationwide

WASHINGTON, D.C. – In responseto the growing number of workers losing their jobs and the high numberof long-term unemployed workers, the House Committee on Ways and Meanstoday passed bipartisan legislation to provide an immediate extensionof unemployment benefits nationwide. H.R. 5749, the Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act,was introduced by Ways and Means Income Security and Family SupportSubcommittee Chairman Jim McDermott (D-WA) and Committee Member PhilEnglish (R-PA) last week to address the growing concerns of this recenteconomic downturn. H.R. 5479 passed the committee by a vote of 23 to 13.

“This bill demonstrates our commitment to act quickly and responsibly,” said Income Security and Family Support Subcommittee Chairman Jim McDermott (D-WA). “The economy is in trouble, the American people are in trouble; and we intend to help. If ever there was a time when the American people expected action out of Congress, this is it.”
    The Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act would:
    Immediately provide up to 13 weeks of extended unemployment benefits in every State.
    Provide an additional 13 weeks (for a total of 26) in States with high unemployment (six percent or higher)
    Be financed by the federal unemployment trust funds, which now have more than enough reserves to cover the cost.Without this legislation, a projected 3 to 3.5 million Americans
    will exhaust their unemployment benefits without finding work. Across
    America the unemployment rate is rising; nationally, the rate stands at
    5.1% and leading economists believe the downturn has not yet bottomed
    out.
    Please click here to view a summary of H.R. 5749.
    ###

• Debbie119 04/16/2008 2:52pm

To those of Congress or the Senate who might look for comments on this BILL, PLEASE look at S2544 and you will see ALL of the comments you need to see!

• SnSinMaryland 04/17/2008 8:55am

The Ways and Means meeting was such a blessing in disguise. I am so proud!!! Go Chris Van Hollen!!!

• Anonymous 04/17/2008 10:58am

Please move this bill through as soon as possible. Americans are hurting badly. As the comment above says, please go to S.2544 and read the hundreds of stories of how people are struggling to survive. This bill can’t be passed soon enough.

• Anonymous 04/17/2008 2:46pm

This terrible economy is a spinoff from the mountains of fraud & waste from the war.You cant tell me that we arent hurting after sending palettes of money to Iraq that are still unaccounted for.Or being overcharged for services by Cheney’s cronies.
    Bush got to know his neighbors in Texas are hurting.Let’s hope he finally does the right thing & passes this bill.

• Anonymous 04/17/2008 3:56pm

Texas here!

They know – HR 5749 is now tied (according to our Senators latest e-mail) to the war funding. E-mails, faxes etc. are going thru – how they choose to vote is questionable……

• Anonymous 04/17/2008 5:41pm

Moving from the S. 2544 comment section to here. Can’t stand the racist bigoted troll one more minute.

Looks like the war supplemental ideas involve the best strategies of either bill.

unemployed in NC

• SnSinMaryland 04/18/2008 8:44am

LET’S TRY TO GET EVERYONE OVER ON THIS SIDE. AFTER ALL, THE S2544 BILL IS DEAD… WE NEED TO PUSH IN THIS FORUM SINCE THIS IS THE BILL THAT WE WANT THEM TO PASS ANYWAY.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 8:51am

I have moved over here too! Let’s get this page going! We need this extension! Please help us. People are loosing their homes, cars, and even children…..My friend sent her kids to her Mom in Maryland because she is loosing her home, and she is afraid they will take her car soon….she is other there everyday applying everywhere…..PLEASE someone help us…we need MORE time

SV – OH Unemployed

• SnSinMaryland 04/18/2008 8:53am

This is insane. Food Prices are through the ROOF along with everything else. A lump sum payment of $600.00 won’t help us out of this mess.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 9:00am

PLEASE LETS NOT CONTINUE TO POST THE RACIST COMMENTS OVER HERE, ALL IT DOES IS DISCREDIT US. WE ARE TRYING TO GET HELP FOR PEOPLE THAT DESPERATELY NEED IT.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 9:05am

Please tell everyone you know about this site. We need this bill passed ASAP. Anyone monitoring these sites are well aware of the trollers and weed out their comments. Unfortunately, they will show up here as well.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 9:20am

Join the petition…..

www.freewebs.com/workerssurvival2008

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 9:24am

I AGREE THERE IS NO ROOM FOR RACIST REMARKS, IT DOES NOT HELP OUR CAUSE, ME OR MY CHILDREN. WE NEED TO BE UNIFIED AND STAY FOCUSED ON THE ISSUE OF UI.

• Synesthesia 04/18/2008 9:47am

Is there a moderator in charge to remove anything inapropiate?
    The fact is, if the Republican party doesn’t do the right thing that has to be done instead of what they think needs to be done, clinging obsessively to party rhetoric then they might as well play taps at their political funeral.
    The more out of work and angry Republicans are screwed over in terms of this much needed extension (Especially with the extra 50 dollars. Gas prices were 3.25 yesterday, 3.39 today! It’s alarming! Have these guys been to a supermarket lately? The prices have been creeping higher and higher.) the more of them will run into the arms of Obama and even Hillary Clinton because they at least in between arguments and jibes address the problem.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 9:56am

I worked 27 solid years, in October I was laid off because my job was suddenly outsourced to a lower wage country.

I’ve applied for over 100 job openings. I’m either over or under qualified.

Monday, I took a test for a $13 office job (less than half of what I used to earn) there were 500 people taking the test for that one job.

I have been going to the food bank to help make ends meet.

Unemployment is 5.9% in my county. My UI runs out in two weeks.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 9:57am

No, I meant, congress, media, etc. about the monitoring. After all, that’s why we’re here to draw attention to this bill an US.

• Synesthesia 04/18/2008 10:00am

I am SOOOO behind on rent.
    I’ve been trying to pay 170-200 dollars a week in rent, but because my unemployment is gone, its going to be harder to do that for the next two weeks.
    I had the naive hope that I could put aside that stimulus money for some sort of fun. A concert, a trip, a good show.
    But it seems hopeless.
    Like millions of Americans it will probably have to go towards this enormous fire of bills and rent.
    It will be like using a squirt gun on a huge forest fire.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 10:27am

Most Americans say they will pay bills with the rebate. It’s money already spent. So, it won’t stimulate the economy at all. Not much going towards spending on new purchases, if at all.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 10:57am

Jobless in Washington state here,
    Well I am over here from S2544 site. Been on there since Feb.
    Don’t worry, I’m not the negative entity from the other site. Who is trying to keep off subject. I’ve always had to look for jobs throughout my career, I’m a union carpenter in commercial construction, thats the bad side of it. Project gets complete and try and network and knock on lot’s of job site office doors etc. (Rejection is something I have learned to live with) It’s feast or famine, I’ve been in it since 1976. This is the hardest time ever trying to get work, really. I’ve payed property taxes since 1982 twice a year. It pays for you know schools, and fire dept’s. and medics,and roads, politicians wages and benefits.etc. I’,m an honorably discharged N.C.O. from an elite military unit here in the U.S. I risked my life for this country, and a few times almost had it taken. The government just keeps holding out their hand , we just keep shoveling more cash into it. Over the years I have handed over approx. $78,000 thats not even including income taxes, or sales taxes, or capitol gains taxes. And those disconnected republicans at the H&W committee have the audacity to call me A person who isn’t looking for work? Because my state U.I. ran out? I COULD HAVE GOTTEN A BETTER DEAL WITH MY MONEY IF I WOULD HAVE BOUGHTEN GARBAGE!!!!