H.R.5749 - Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008

To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (5)

• Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as reported to house.
  • Official: To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as passed house.

stubsnews 05/25/2008 5:43pm

sign in and click those red thumbs down buttons, feels great

Anonymous 06/01/2008 4:10am

Please quite critizing those of us who can’t move to Iowa for a job. I have a 85 year old mother and a 93 year old Mother in Law who need my husband I for their care (no other siblings to help out). So, before you pass judgement, you need to think it through. Sometimes it’s not only about you but others.

WashingtonGirl 06/13/2008 1:29pm

I think the man to reach at the White House is Edward P. Lazear, Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers. He is the man who really tells Bush what to do concerning the economy. I cannot find a way to email him. He is on-leave from Stanford & I got an automated response there. It is a long shot, but I’d like to let him know how real Americans feel.

Any one of you super researchers out there have any ideas?

WG

outoftime 06/05/2008 1:16pm

All we can do is do all we can to try to change things for the better.

dwightfrye 06/12/2008 8:01am

Deb, i stumbled upon this article this morning too, while you were snuggled nicely in bed lol

Anonymous 06/09/2008 1:32pm

Mon. Jun 9, 2008

Supplemental Appropriations
The House will take up the latest supplemental appropriations bill this week. In addition to funding the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq for the rest of FY08 and early FY09, the supplemental also includes $10.4 billion in aid for Gulf Coast states affected by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, a $51 billion increase in veterans educational benefits over 10 years, and $1 billion in LIHEAP funding. As passed by the Senate, the bill contains a 13-week extension of unemployment insurance. The House may include this provision in the supplemental measure but is also planning on holding a separate vote on a stand-alone unemployment insurance extension bill.

Anonymous 04/17/2008 2:46pm

This terrible economy is a spinoff from the mountains of fraud & waste from the war.You cant tell me that we arent hurting after sending palettes of money to Iraq that are still unaccounted for.Or being overcharged for services by Cheney’s cronies.
Bush got to know his neighbors in Texas are hurting.Let’s hope he finally does the right thing & passes this bill.

Anonymous 05/28/2008 12:54pm

opencongress.org..5
trollers……….0

Don’t go away mad….JUST GO AWAY!!!

Anonymous 04/18/2008 12:00pm

I am just utterly stunned that Bush said he will immediately veto this bill.  What of the financial mess HE has gotten this country into?  Now if I give my children bad advise, and it turns out to their demise, I have been known to foot the bill – really.  It happens.  We all make mistake.  So step up to the plate Mr.President and realize what the war in Iraq is costing those of us back here at home who make this engine work.  Did anyone see the absurd numbers spent, and left to spend, on our Iraq embassey?  Dear Lord, help us now.  Bush has been given an open wallet, and he intends to spend it on another country.

Anonymous 06/16/2008 3:04pm

Just a thought – Although calling the toll free # of 877-331-1223 as posted above, I cannot stress enough that once that phone call has ended your voice has too.
Always email and CC yourself on the email, creating a papertrail.
People have a harder time ignoring the written word——they can forget about a phone call very quickly if its not backed up on paper.Leave them with something SOLID

At the link below there are all the emails you will need

pmsmith 06/18/2008 4:09pm

For a lot of people, this will go a long way. In the mean time if the economy continues to go into the toilet, I believe the “automatic” extensions will start once the unemployment numbers get to a certain point. I know in 31 years in the work force, this is the worse I have seen it in California. For George W. and his cronies, this is forcing them to admit that there is a problem. The first step to getting help is admitting there is a problem, which is something that this jerk has failed to do. Maybe we should send George W. to Iraq, he seems to like them a lot more then us!

Anonymous 05/25/2008 8:33am

Just log in and vote no on the comments you don’t find helpful. After 5 no votes, they go away. No need to ‘hunt them down and smoke ’m out’ by data mining. Too republican for me, I’d rather dismiss unhelpful comments the democratic way, with a VOTE!
If you can take the time to acknowledge the comment, you can surely take the time to vote no to it’s usefulness.

outoftime 07/19/2008 9:01am

This is in reply to those posts saying we should not be allowed to talk about anything here but the extension.

When CS and myself, and Deb and some other members here were researching and monitoring the votes and posting all the info here every day, WHERE WERE YOU? When we were emailing and calling Reps. and Senators countless times, WHAT WERE YOU DOING? We were fighting so you could be here waiting for your checks. THAT IS WHAT WE WERE DOING.

WHAT THE HELL NEW INFORMATION DO YOU THINK WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN THE MIDDLE OF A FRIDAY NIGHT.

DO NOT TRY TO TELL US WHAT WE CAN TALK ABOUT NOW!!!!

CaliDeb 06/19/2008 8:09am

The national unemployment rate for June will be released on July 3rd, here is a link to the schedule of releases for national and state unemployment rates:

Anonymous 06/01/2008 4:19pm

Please keep your comments to the subject – that is – The Unemploymnent Extension Status. It is important to those of us who are unemployed through no fault of our own. Find another forum for other comments.

Moderated Comment

outoftime 08/23/2008 5:18pm
in reply to Anonymous Aug 23, 2008 3:54pm

There is still some good ones popping in here from time to time. Hang in there friend.

Anonymous 05/30/2008 12:19pm

i called my rep from pa today…spoke to an office staffer.
he said they expect this to pass next week in the house with a “close-to” veto proof majority
i hope so

Anonymous 05/26/2008 2:42pm
in reply to Anonymous May 26, 2008 1:41pm

And yes, we have every right to vote on comments here! It’s a very democratic thing.

Anonymous 05/26/2008 8:28am
I am in MI and in my circle of family and friends, 3/4 are now unemployed, we are all trying to help each other now! And these are not ppl that have not worked at all over the years, one had 27 years, one had 22 and I had 11 years with the same co. So in my circle the unemployment rate is somewhere near 75%! Up here, everyone and his brother are having garage sales, the flea markets are packed with sellers, I recently had a yard sale, and had about 20 ppl come for the whole weekend! usually I would have close to 100 or so! One person that was moving had a sale and were on craigslist giving away gas cards and free lunch just to get things sold so they could move! I wish I had a bike and a fireplace, because I really don’t know how we will afford it all!
Anonymous 05/27/2008 7:49pm

The UE extension is going to pass! Lift up you guys, all this worry wart stuff is negative energy. Feel blessed it’s attached to the GI bill. That’s an Ace card. It’s political suicide to vote against. Bushitler will veto it, but there will be enough votes in the house to make it bullet-proof.

Worry is like your rocking chair: it keeps you busy, but never gets you anywhere.

Namaste.

Anonymous 05/30/2008 6:53pm

Everyone, Keep your heads up. Times will get better. Lets hope this unemployment extension passes so we can feed our families.

Besides hoping we need to keep calling the House Reps day and night and let them know if they don’t pass this they will lose their jobs in November and join us in this broken economy!!!

Anonymous 04/18/2008 2:51pm

If you’re claim hasn’t expired (usually 1 year from original filing date) then you’re still counted as unemployed with an active claim. After that, yes, you would be out of the count and they have the audacity to say you’re not looking, or given up looking for work. It’s the most ludicrous thing I’ve ever heard. That’s why there’s been a lot of comments lately about the underemployed (part timers who want to work full time) and the #’ of people who have fallen out of the system. That’s also why there are different numbers for unemployed.

Debbie119 04/16/2008 2:52pm

To those of Congress or the Senate who might look for comments on this BILL, PLEASE look at S2544 and you will see ALL of the comments you need to see!

Anonymous 05/26/2008 8:36am

Live near Atlanta and there has been nothing to respond to in my field in the last several weeks for jobs. Rec’d another rejection letter on last Wednesday which is the last of my recent interviews so I’m feeling a little down. Last week I rec’d two rejection letters. My benefits exhausted at the end of May and I have a 15 year old car that has it’s problems so I’m affraid of going for a job with a lot of driving distance. What is such a shame is that there are so many talented people without a job. The stress is getting to me but each day I hold out hope and still get excited when I respond to a potential job and go for an interview. I have never taken a day off from seeking employment (including weekends). Being unemployed is very stressful!!! I would very much appreciate any extension as would my family of five.

Anonymous 05/26/2008 2:17pm
in reply to Anonymous May 26, 2008 1:41pm

They are not blocked. You have the choice to read filtered comments by clicking on them. Unless of course, you have a problem with choice.

Anonymous 04/16/2008 2:13pm

I’m in the same boat – been looking for work since sept of 2007 – Here in Michigan the jobs are not there and it has been for way too long – sick n tired of looking and besides that – I don’t have the money to put in the gas tank to go look for jobs – That aren’t there.

Anonymous 04/16/2008 2:02pm

The Ways and Means Committee today Passed this Bill – Now it’s up to the House to see this Bill gets Passed and for Mr. Bush to sign it into law and PASS IT!

Anonymous 04/17/2008 5:41pm

Moving from the S. 2544 comment section to here. Can’t stand the racist bigoted troll one more minute.

Looks like the war supplemental ideas involve the best strategies of either bill.

unemployed in NC

Anonymous 05/30/2008 7:45pm

keep calling the House Reps

My Reps in Ct, all voted for us 2 dem 1 Rep – Keep calling!!! We need the house votes veto proof