H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

Legion1 02/11/2011 8:41am

k’ not sure Mr. Clark, I think/thought I was remembering the 20 week extension(tier3?) attached to the military appropriations bill under Bush.

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 8:37am

I’m not the CBO my friend.

• WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 8:08am

Everyone please remember that WE are the people. Not any political party.

• Legion1 02/11/2011 8:18am

C’mon people at least vote at the top right of the page in favor of this bill. 1261 views today, 67/1 votes….pitiful. I know it’s largely symbolic, but hey…if you can’t support it here, what’s that say about supporting this endeavor elsewhere?

VOTE DAMNIT

Either support this bill or don’t support, but at least vote!!!

JohnB 02/11/2011 8:28am

I just voted for it. :)

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 8:30am

Long time no see :)

Legion1 02/11/2011 8:31am

Thank you JohnB, you have been gone for a spell.

JohnB 02/11/2011 9:27am

I’ve been keeping busy, trading stocks to get by, since I can’t find work. Last November my mother (lives with me), got a blood clot in her lungs. I happened to be right next to her when it happned (she passed out while I ws getting her into her bed). I called 911, they got her to the hospital. Her doctor said had I waited she would have died. He saw the scan of her lungs and saw where the clot was. GOD’s timing. If this had happened any other time, if I had been in another room or even at my computer ( a way from her), she could have died. She’s doing great now, even better then before. She’s 85. She spent a week in the hospital and 2 months in skiled nursing (her insurance paid for every thing :)

MrsChang 02/11/2011 12:47pm

Hi John B,

We were wondering if you had found a job. I guess too many of us have not found anything. So here we are again.

Glad to hear you were able to take care of your mother in the nick of time. It was definitely providential that you were there. Wow, she’s 85! You’re lucky to still have her around.

We have a long way to go with this hoped-for unemployment extension. If it gets approved, we still have to wait for EDD to send the checks. I really hope this all works out.

Mrs. Chang

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 8:33am

Let’s try not to debate Ted Kennedy this time ;)

• WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 8:25am

We need some votes over here big time too!

• JohnB 02/11/2011 8:31am

For those in Calif, remember to keep logging into Cal Job every now and then. EDD will know if you’re unemployed if you keep logging in. If you don’t, they could remove your profile, and that could make it much harder to get any extended benefits.

• Legion1 02/11/2011 8:36am

I went over there & voted “Was” brought it down to 50/50 anyhow.

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 8:39am

Thank you.

We need to show a little force to my Libertarian friends I think.

CTunemployed 02/11/2011 8:59am

We can do that if you want. Wouldn’t want to tread on your turf there fuzzy :-)

Did I see you on twitter old man?

Are you going to check your email this week?

Give me a call.

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 9:10am

We have our differences, but I like those guys in many ways. I’m not calling it the fleet, just viewers that may want to vote there too.

My frigging email is overflowing…and you know I don’t do twitter :P

• WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 9:27am

Thank you people. I see it is up to 76% for this bill on Washington Watch now.

• Legion1 02/11/2011 9:29am

America’s labor force hasn’t grown since ’08

Call it the Mystery of the Missing Workers.

Since 2008, the American labor force—that is, the number of people either working or actively working for work—hasn’t grown at all, The Economist reports, looking at Labor Department numbers.

That’s not unusual during a recession, which typically leads some of the unemployed to become discouraged and give up looking for work, or to retire early. At the other demographic end of the labor market, recessions can also prompt some young people to go to school instead of entering the workforce, The Economist explains.

But things usually turn around during the recovery. This time, however, that’s not happening: Since the Great Recession officially ended in mid 2009, the “participation rate”—the share of the population in the labor force—has continued to decline, especially among the young,

• Legion1 02/11/2011 9:29am

But the problem appears to have deeper roots. In the 1990s, the labor force grew by 1.3 percent a year. Last decade, that figure dropped to 1 percent. And the Congressional Budget Office predicts that over the next decade, it will grow by only 0.7 percent.

Taken together, the slow growth of the labor force and the low participation rate mean that the offiical unemployment rate, now at an already high 9 percent, underplays the actual rate of joblessness even more than such official figures usually do. Â That’s because the official rate doesn’t include workers who have grown discouraged and stopped looking for work—and that number appears to be unusually high.

• sclark113 02/11/2011 9:40am

Great News Everybody!!!

One of “Michael’s Plan” volunteers, Gerry DePeitro has just been invited to be interviewed on the Ed Show on Monday Night at 10:00 PM (EST). If you saw the video from Ed’s show Wednesday night, Gerry is the lady that sold her ring that her deceased husband gave her for $20 just to get through another day.

Way to go Gerry, and way to go Ed!!! – we can’t thank Ed enough for his support of this story and giving it the much needed air time that it so rightly deserves! Let’s do all we can to get Ed’s ratings through the roof!!!

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 9:44am

I’m sending that out.

Legion1 02/11/2011 9:55am

Mr. Clark, while this is good news, we all know Ed has been speaking up for us 99ers for months now. A place we need a voice is on something like Hardball where, that I can remember, Matthews has not once said a word about us. Not a single one of the majors has even reported anything about this bill. (and I know its only day 2, but they cover a lot less important stories when they break.) We all know how the majors are avoiding us like the plague and refuse to report anything or at least just about anything to do with us. I’ve sent the question to Matthews & Hardball many times asking simply “why don’t you do any segments on the 99ers?”. To date all I get back is silence. Matthews would be one that just might make a difference.

BPennett 02/12/2011 2:46am

Great news:):):)……. all their quantitative bullshit disguises the real essence of what we are going through……..they don’t care that we are marginalized…….. the 20 million with their families is at leasst 60 million (since number seem to be manipulated)

To them, we are the unfortunate casualty in this “Great Recession”…..it’s a joke.

Obama acts like he’s in a vacume….. Each and every one of us is irreplaceably important….don’t let the indignities wear you down…..

• Legion1 02/11/2011 9:43am

The impression I get from the above story is that this writer is trying to shift the focus from a lack of work to be found to a lack of workers looking for work. In essence, yet another calling us all lazy.

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 9:48am

You know the spin game….

WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 10:19am

I’ll reply this to you because I already commented on this. From one of the original tea party founders…

Tea Party My Ass, Yet Again

You were lied to America.

I told you this before the election. That you were snookered, lied to, and bamboozled. That you would not get either real fiscal accountability or liberty and The Rule of Law out of The Tea Party.

Many said I was full of crap.

Really?

It really does come down to “We The People” in the end my friend.

• WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 9:51am

We see the views coming in now.

Don’t be afraid to jump in people.

• WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 10:40am

$1.3 BILLION dollars per year given to Egypt from the US for decades just for their military……

But our own people can be left to die on the streets by the millions?

• bugsy166 02/11/2011 11:52am

In following the progress of the unemployment extension legislation it is revealed that it is being identified as HR 589 Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2011. The emergency legislation was introduced Wednesday by Congresswoman Barbara Lee to the House Ways and Means Committee.

This is an alert. It is imperative that every 99er work to flood the Ways and Means Committee with emails demanding that the legislation expediently be moved through the committee and onto the House floor. These are the individuals who sit on the Subcommittee on Human Resources of the Ways and Means Committee. Also call the Capitol switchboard at 1-866-220-0044 and ask to speak to these members. Don’t ask, demand, that HR 589 be put through.

• WasMiddleClass 02/11/2011 11:55am

I understand that support for the bill will probably be its single greatest obstacle as most of the politicians are already bought and serve only those special interests that paid for them. In observing the political maneuvering in Washington DC, I am beginning to wonder if HR 6556 is being put in place as a measure of compromise. We all remember that as a condition of getting the last unemployment extension passed, the great compromiser Barry Soetoro gave billions of dollars of tax breaks to the top 2%.

It is apparent that the filthy rich are far from satisfied with the record profits they made last year, and indeed want a lot more. When are we going to reach the point that we just say no to those who insist that if you give a poor man one dollar, you automatically have to give a rich man one million?