H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

• WasMiddleClass 02/15/2011 5:35pm

For the other people here that have been emailing me,

I just checked my email for the first time in a while.

I am WAY behind on my email replies. I WILL respond. Things have been kind of crazy lately.

I’m not ignoring you. Sorry :(

• Legion1 02/15/2011 5:39pm

“Was”, I just checked again & it’s working again.I’ll send you my EM though. commin’ at you in a sec….

WasMiddleClass 02/15/2011 5:51pm

I’m waiting.

• WasMiddleClass 02/15/2011 6:05pm

This is a really long sec…

I have to go to bed now.

• WasMiddleClass 02/15/2011 6:11pm

I didn’t get an email Legion. That account is locked for now. Maybe later…

Goodnight.

Legion1 02/16/2011 1:47am

Sorry “Was”, I just found a message failure notification checking my Email.

WasMiddleClass 02/16/2011 2:31am

I’m heading out to split firewood now, I’ll be back later.

• HopefromCA 02/16/2011 4:07am

The real unemployment rate is not going to go down until the price of housing starts to stabilize. In the immediate future I don’t see it stabilizing as the feds are using quantative easing that will start to trigger higher interest rates. I feel that Congress is aware of this and doesn’t want the public to know whats going to happen soon. Since the early 80’s we have been using the equity in the houses to compensate for what our wages don’t cover on our monthly bills. Now that we don’t have source of income some of us are going broke trying to keep food on the table. Lets hope that Congress recognizes this and passes this bill.

HopefromCA 02/16/2011 4:44am

The National Association of Home Builders indicates that that its index of builder sentiment hasn’t improved much since an estimated time frame of April 2006 when the price of housing started to drop.

WasMiddleClass 02/16/2011 12:21pm

You made a good point there Hope with “Since the early 80’s we have been using the equity in the houses to compensate for what our wages don’t cover on our monthly bills”.

Most Americans have been going deeper and deeper in dept for years because prices have skyrocketed, but all the income growth went to the top 10%, and mostly the top 1%, while real income decreased for everyone else.

• 99Survivor 02/16/2011 5:35am

I cant find a link, so am posting the whole post:
    by G Today at 11:39

unemployed2long/1208 wrote:
    OK, Is this saying the bill is headed to the house for first debates? Well If it gets past there its a lock for us!!! But am I reading this right! Its out to the house for proceeding debates???

In case there is some confusion out there:

1) The Bill is titled, The Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act.

2) The funding that was first looked at was from the Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2008 (section 4).

3) The bill is not headed to the floor yet. They are still gathering additional Co-Sponsors and they are working on the Republicans. There is some discussion that there are Republicans who support this bill. BUT, they are each trying to decide who will be the first to show public support and when it would be best to do so.

cont…….

• 99Survivor 02/16/2011 5:36am

cont…………
    4) When I first started releasing some of the information that came as a result of the discussions the American 99ers Union were having with Rep. Lee and her Staff, folks kept asking, “how long do we have to wait?”. I understand that time is a valuable commodity and one that is in short supply right now. At the same time, please understand that creating the plan of attack to fight the good fight, meant that this bill would not be pushed along for the sake of some positive, short term public relations.

5) I say this as a point of fact and without ego… Do not believe every article and rumor that comes down the pike. I don’t believe that there are many out there that have spent the last month in discussion with Rep. Lee’s Office as relates to this bill and the way in which things would unfold. No, there are no guarantees that this bill will be legislated. At the same time, every effort is being made and there is a “method to their madness”.

• 99Survivor 02/16/2011 5:37am

cont………..

G

• 99Survivor 02/16/2011 5:37am

cont………..

G

• 99Survivor 02/16/2011 5:37am

cont………..

G

• 99Survivor 02/16/2011 5:38am

sorry for the duplication in posts. Having problems posting on this board. :(

WasMiddleClass 02/16/2011 12:25pm

Many of us have been having problems. I found that is you don’t see the post show up after you hit the “post comment” you should make sure you have the post copied and then reload the page to see if it posted. If not try it again.

• adamaiken 02/16/2011 6:13am

What they are doing to the unemployed in Florida is criminal. Be happy if you do not reside in this state.

wmeyer714 02/16/2011 8:13am

You mean it’s worse than in Texas (where the 99ers are actually 73ers) ?
    Thanks to our NEO-CON Governor we got NO tier-4 and only part of tier-3, despite all of the Oil workers who were laid off while the deepwater drilling moritorium was in effect. Supposedly Texas never exceeded %8.5 unemployment to qualify for tier4, still don’t – even though Houston (largest city in state) is at %10.

I would think there’s a little corrupt statistical manipulation going on.

wstaff 02/16/2011 8:39am

I would think there’s a little corrupt statistical manipulation going on.

• wstaff 02/16/2011 7:52am

Good Job Senator Bernie Sanders who see the recession for what it is and not make light of how costly the recession still is and not sugar coating this. While
    other senators still believe that we are coming out of the recession looking favorable.

• bugsy166 02/16/2011 9:49am

1) The bill is not headed to the floor yet. They are still gathering additional Co-Sponsors and they are working on the Repu blicans. There is some discussion that there are many Republicans who support this bill. BUT, they are AFFRAID TO GO AGAAINST the ENTIRE REPUBLICAN TEAM AS A WHOLE, each trying to decide who will be the first to show public support and when it would be best to do so, WITHOUT being look bad by there fellow Republican piers!

bugsy166 02/16/2011 9:50am

“Both Houses need over 50% of either house to pass a bill on to the President. For an ordinary bill to pass each chamber or house of the US congress, it needs a simple majority of yea votes which would be 50% + 1 vote. In the US House of Representatives, ordinarily there are a total of 435 seated Representatives. 50% of 435 is 217.5. As there are no half votes, the fewest yea votes required for an ordinary bill to pass the House would normally be 218. In the US Senate, ordinarily there are a total of 100 seated Senators. 50% of 100 is 50. A simple majority is 50% + 1, thus the fewest yea votes required for an ordinary bill to pass the US Senate is 51.”

Continue reading on Examiner.com: New unemployment extension bill for 99ers gains cosponsors – National Unemployment | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/unemployment-in-national/new-unemployment-extension-bill-for-99ers-gains-cosponsors-the-new-bill-that-wo#ixzz1E9lZJjD3

• Abaratarrr 02/16/2011 11:41am

Stop buying friends overseas, save $6 billion

Abaratarrr 02/16/2011 12:42pm

Stop buying friends overseas, save $6 billion!

• WasMiddleClass 02/16/2011 12:42pm

A Disillusioned 99’er Shares His Disappointment With The American Dream, Welcomes Death

“Mark”, a member of the ever growing cadre of disillusioned, disenchanted and disgruntled millions of American unemployed, has written a letter shared by A Company of One, in which he explains the plight of 99’ers (those whose extended unemployment benefits are set to expire) in which he chronicles his plight and his terminal disappointment with the American system. One can only imagine how all the “99’ers” would feel if they did not have the benefit of living at least partially subsidized for 2 years in the socialist state of America. If Bahrain is any indication, where the government’s attempt to purchase the love of its people just failed today, pretty soon not even the 99 weeks of EUCs will do much to suppress what is an unmistakably rising anger among the broad US population.

WasMiddleClass 02/16/2011 12:44pm

It is already expired, not set to expire Tyler. But I thank my non-Republican conservative friends for backing us in their ways now.

• Abaratarrr 02/16/2011 12:45pm

Lee and scott do not need permission form republican leadership to get a vote on 589 as an amendment to the CR

“amendments like Paul’s, which is not supported by leadership, would not have received a vote because congressional leaders had limited or even prohibited amendments during spending debates. But this year, House Republican leadership decided to use an “open rule” for the CR, giving every member of Congress the right to bring an amendment and have it debated."

a funding source for 589,would be supported be democrats and tea party-ers

“Paul is trying to build support for an amendment to the fiscal 2011 funding bill that would end all foreign assistance to Egypt, Israel, Jordan, and Pakistan. The funding bill currently being debated by the House, called the continuing resolution (CR), is needed to keep the government running after March 4.

WasMiddleClass 02/16/2011 12:52pm

I say,

END ALL THE FOREIGN AID, AND AID OUR OWN TAXPAYING CITIZENS THAT PAID FOR ALL THAT FOREIGN AID FIRST, BECAUSE WE NEED IT MORE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abaratarrr 02/16/2011 1:03pm

Stop buying friends overseas, save $6 billion!

was part of that 990shi character post I just made for some reason “Stop buying friends overseas, save $6 billion!” is the only part of the message that posted twice?