H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

99Survivor 02/20/2011 5:22pm

I was bored…….LOL

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 4:18am

So that’s why you sent me two requests.. lol

I guess you are a double special friend now ;)

WasMiddleClass 02/20/2011 1:14pm

I now a furry little new friend with a big light saber ;)

WasMiddleClass 02/20/2011 2:28pm

I now have a

• WasMiddleClass 02/20/2011 1:29pm

On the front page of my local paper today….

Madison, Wis. - Sometimes they cursed each other, sometimes they shook hands, sometimes they walked away from each other in disgust.

None of it – not the ear-splitting chants, the pounding drums or the back-and-forth debate between 70,000 protesters – changed the minds of Wisconsin lawmakers dug into a stalemate over Republican efforts to scrap union rights for almost all public workers…

…A lone demonstrator stood between the crowds, saying nothing and holding a sign: “I’m praying that we can all respect each other. Let’s try to understand each other.”

I read about that lone demonstrator and I just stopped and stared at what it said.

That one person said more that everything else in the entire article.

This is not a left vs right thing. It is a elite vs everyone else thing.

If only all the 99ers could be like that lone protester….

• Legion1 02/20/2011 6:40pm

The more stories I read, unemployment related & non-unemployment related, the more I’m convinced that there’s an uncivil war coming to America very soon. I always read the comments after the story & the comments I’m reading, from so called fellow Americans are down right disgusting. It makes no difference if the story is about unemployment or not. The protests in my home state of Wisconsin, or Alabama wanting to issue a license plate to honor the Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest, or we 99ers needing another extension, almost every comment is worse than anything n0bama4me ever wrote here before vanishing. How we can all live in the same America for very much longer as Republicans & Democrats (and a few Independents)…well I just can’t see America staying America for very much longer. This country is not just ready to blow, it’s ready to explode.

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 4:26am

From the article above,

The Republican strategy is to split the vast middle and working class – pitting unionized workers against non-unionized, public-sector workers against non-public, older workers within sight of Medicare and Social Security against younger workers who don’t believe these programs will be there for them, and the poor against the working middle class.

By splitting working America along these lines, Republicans want Americans to believe that we can no longer afford to do what we need to do as a nation. They hope to deflect attention from the increasing share of total income and wealth going to the richest 1 percent while the jobs and wages of everyone else languish.

Its working………….

Legion1 02/21/2011 8:18am

you bet it is….bigtime

• BPennett 02/21/2011 12:56am

The addest thing of all is that onstead of our politicians being HUMBLED to have been chosen to represent us…….the act as though they are superior……I guess the last laugh will be on them………so sad. Don’t they understand tht in many cases we are much much smarter that they are???….God what arrogance…..it’s laughable!!!!!

BPennett 02/24/2011 12:15am

fixing my spelling errors on my flash post (what can I say I’m a busy guy, looking for work) Saddest …..instead……they…….that

• WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 4:02am

I just listened to the Wisconsin Governor on the news.

The unions agreed to accept the cuts in benefits but want to keep their collective bargaining rights. The Governor refused.

A Republican Senator introduced a bill that would only take away collective bargaining rights for two years. The Governor refused.

I turned on Fox news and they are still talking about how the unions don’t want to accept cuts in benefits, and how lavish their benefits are. I guess Fox didn’t hear that the unions already agreed to that days ago.

I heard the Governor say that the reason he didn’t include police and fire unions was because he couldn’t afford to have them walk out and protest too. Hmmmm…

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 4:03am

It should be obvious at this point what this battle is REALLY about. Without collective bargaining rights unions have no power at all.

I heard the Governor say union contracts cost money. No really? I’m sure he would love to be able to cut worker pay and benefits at will, and have no unions or contracts to stop him.

Sorry people, all we can afford to pay you from now on is minimum wage, and we have to cut that too….

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 4:06am

And we need to give the rich some more big tax cuts so they can afford to create jobs……….

• WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 5:16am

What we are seeing people is exactly what so many predicted about the Bush tax cuts. We would have to cut everything else to pay for them.The words of David Stockman, who was the creator of “trickle down” economics, stand out in my mind. He is a Republican and a conservative and HE created the plan.

“I find it unconscionable that the Republican leadership, faced with a 1.5 trillion deficit, could possibly believe that good public policy is to maintain tax cuts for the top 2 percent of the population who, after all, have benefited enormously from this phony boom we’ve had over the last 10 years as a result of the casino on Wall Street,”

Stockman, who still considers himself a staunch conservative and a staunch Republican, tells host Guy Raz why he thinks extending those tax cuts would be akin to a bankruptcy filing by Congress and the White House.

They were extended, and now…CUT, CUT, CUT everything for the lower 90%.

Many, many people said it going back to 2000.

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 5:49am

See that $1.5 Trillion number ?

“over their first nine years (fiscal 2002-10), the Bush tax cuts would cost $1.8 trillion“

That doesn’t even count the 2003 tax cuts……

• WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 5:29am

For any readers that believe the Republican spin that tax cuts pay for themselves, here is an article with a ton of documented proof that the claim that tax cuts pay for themselves is a total lie, and even the Bush administration new that.

The middle class and the poor are now being told they have to pay for them now because the country is broke.

Are the rich being asked to pay anything?????

• WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 6:19am

They can’t afford to help the 99ers, so they are left to die on the streets……

They have to cut heating assistance, WIC, Head Start, Social Security, Medicare, jobs training, and on and on…

But……

The budget outline released by President Obama this week, just like last year’s proposal, includes about $3.5 trillion in tax cuts over ten years. Most of that cost comes from his $3.1 trillion proposal to make permanent most of the Bush tax cuts, which would cost 81 percent as much as extending all the Bush tax cuts.

• Legion1 02/21/2011 8:51am

I’m not in a good mood today. Since last night when I posted at 11:40, 1 post by BPennent, 8 posts from "Wasmiddleclass. Where the hell is everybody? 589 had good viewing numbers for the first week. And now those numbers are heading south. 8817 views of this bills & comments & 196 votes in favor/28 opposed? You call those numbers supporting this bill? It’s no wonder we get nothing from Congress. It’s no wonder we get no coverage from the media either. You people have the attention span of 2 year olds. We won’t get a damn penny acting like this. I’m really beginning to wonder if you people aren’t as lazy as we’re being portrayed. Just how the hell do you go about motivating the dead? This place is a graveyard. Nothing like what happened last week in Madison will ever take place with this crowd. You have no balls, no ambition, you have no nothing. It’s no wonder we get no help. And it’s no wonder we won’t either, least not until you all wake up from your sleep.

Pitiful & pathetic

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 9:33am

As far as views go, I think many people realize Congress is off this week. The bill being shot down didn’t help either. It’s like this all over…hardly any articles are even being written by our bloggers lately. It makes you wonder how many were real…….

Legion1 02/21/2011 10:13am

It’s almost like what are know as “fair weather fans.” But “Was”, if you remember the run-up & all the action prior to the last extension’s passage & then the aftermath, this site became a cemetery then too. I bitched about it last January (2010) & was pretty much told to shut up. Tried to tell them then, don’t just take the money & run, it was instead time to organize for the next fight. Nobody listened to me then however.

About Madison…I fully expect Madison to go away soon because of the return of cold weather. Already, I can find no new stories about what’s going on except 3 ’pubs are needed for a compromise & Walker remains defiant.

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 11:41am

I remember people turning on each other because their state was covered by the bill as it was written, and didn’t want to hear about Shaheen’s amendment to cover all the other states, like mine. I can remember “just let it pass, and you can get your extension in another bill”

Some of us were fighting for tier v the whole time in other places.

Madison will not go away as long as the Governor says collective bargaining must go forever in my belief.

Abaratarrr 02/21/2011 10:54am

No one comes to this thread is because it has become a waste of time, it has been around for 11 days and is unusable

There are maybe 5 posts (out of 788) that discuss action taken on this bill, 20 that talk about strategy and action people can take. No one, not even the unemployed have time to weed through 788 posts from 11 days to find relevant information in only 5 posts

there are 700 non related posts from the same person that bury the relevant information so that it can not be found. Entire articles do not need to be copy and pasted page after page, how about just do one post listing the 20+ links to stories that you want the word to see once a day?

People use to come to these threads to ask question and find answers, that is no longer possible.

this place is no longer useful

How many posts would you have to read to find the last action taken on this legislation? Imagine a new person coming to this thread trying to find out what if any action has happened concerning 589?

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 11:25am

No one can see that “actions” tab at the top of the page?

Here it is.

Latest Actions

Feb 9th Referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means.

Used to ask questions on this thread? Really? Where?

Exactly two things have happened. One is above, the other was Lee trying to add it as an amendment that got shot down.

Unless it is paid for we can kiss it goodbye forever.

ALL that was posted here multiple times.

And I do not post entire articles EVER.

I think you just don’t like it when I post anti-repub tings Ab. But then you never did…

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 11:49am

Hey Ab, is Reid filibustering this bill too? I never could find that one in the Congressional record, unlike the very real filibuster of tier4 by Repubs.

We all need to realize that neither side is coming to our rescue, and is just burring everyone deeper, unless you are rich.

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 11:54am

Burying not burring.

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 12:14pm

By the way, how are those new repubs doing on passing an extension and creating jobs?

WasMiddleClass 02/21/2011 1:58pm

Ab, I do respect your opinion. I just wish you would look at the big picture. The repubs are all for the rich these days, and I think many dems are too now. I still have many “conservative” beliefs.

Abaratarrr 02/21/2011 11:05pm

I am not a republican and republicans are for the rich, i voted for democrats in the last federal election, but none of that has anything to do with hr589, the wisconson governor has nothing to do with hr 589, I think its neet that Justin Bieber got a hair cut today but it has nothing to do with Hr 589 so I will not copy and paste the TMZ article about justin biebers hair cut. If i made 10 posts a day copy and pasting articles about justin beiber people would quit comming to this thread because people come here to learn about hr 589 not to read page after page about justin Bieber. legion1 asked why people no longer come here, people no longer come here because they are looking for information about pending legislation not about justin biebers new hair cut of how tax laws pertain to s corporations.

check out Justin’s new hair cut

adamaiken 02/22/2011 1:40am

Well now, who is a liar? You are a diehard Republican and you campaigned for everyone to vote REpublican in the last election. My memory is good.

Abaratarrr 02/22/2011 4:17am