H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

• where 05/02/2011 11:20pm

@ Was

First of all remember I love ya dude! Second I believe he is a devout muslim, You are not likely to change my mind here,

Also be careful searching for osama’s death pictures as the scammers have run amok with malware attached to fake pictures.

To date I have not found legitimate photos of his body. Only a wide spread photoshopped Fake, That has been around for sometime.

Real pictures should be coming, Or Obama is dumber than I thought (not likely) I too don’t understand why his miserable corps isn’t hanging in NYC then dumped in some undisclosed septic tank, So we all could feel we had a go at him! :D

• WasMiddleClass 05/02/2011 11:21pm

We don’t need another conspiracy here, so will not get more into that subject here.

• WasMiddleClass 05/02/2011 11:26pm

@where

I already learned the same picture thing. And I,m not going to debate your beliefs on the muslim thing here (as I said above). That is something I never researched anyways…

But this is not the place for it.

• WasMiddleClass 05/02/2011 11:29pm

I’ll end this night with a quote. I thankfully have some work for a while so I have to get up early.

“Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle! Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.” – Thomas Paine

Goodnight America

• WasMiddleClass 05/02/2011 11:34pm

Just to be clear, my comment of “I will say that I do not like what I read from sources I consider very credible so far on this…” is about Bin Laden, not the “muslim” thing…

Later>>>>>>>>>>>

• where 05/02/2011 11:35pm

Goodnight Was, I hope you awake to a better day! :D

• sclark113 05/04/2011 9:04am

Nothing posted for over a day? What’s up with that?

• where 05/04/2011 9:18am

Ya it’s kinda creepy

• Legion1 05/04/2011 11:42am

I’ve complained about this “lack” of interest in the past, only to get back in reply a whole host of excuses. This is our problem, no interest, not even from us. And, upon further consideration, I no longer believe America sits atop a powder keg that’s ready to explode, our time has past, the “sheeple” are returning to sleep. Back to business as usual. The flame has gone out, the wind didn’t take it higher.

• Spam Comment

• Sher1 05/05/2011 12:27am

Latest Update on HR 589. http://www.examiner.com/unemployment-in-rochester/h-r-589-discussed-but-no-timetable-for-action-it-s-a-matter-of-life-and-death?CID=examiner_alerts_article

• Sher1 05/05/2011 12:33am

HR 589 in HWMs Committee and the Examiner article by Michael Thornton who is a strong advocate and been there for the unemployed especially the 99ers, states to CALL the chairman of the Committee Rep.Dave Camp at 202 225-3561 and for those who can’t call lets continue to EMAIL – FAX and TWEET. Naysayers will always be around to complain about a clean and sunny day, thats life!

• Sher1 05/05/2011 12:38am

Here is the URL for the Michael Thornton Examiner article on HR 589. http://tinyurl.com/3h33pmh

• where 05/05/2011 4:01am

Im worried about “Was” :[

• where 05/05/2011 6:22am

It’s official! Obama is a FOOL

• sclark113 05/05/2011 8:45am

SEASONALLY ADJUSTED DATA

In the week ending April 30, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 474,000, an increase of 43,000 from the previous week’s revised figure of 431,000. The 4-week moving average was 431,250, an increase of 22,250 from the previous week’s revised average of 409,000.

UNADJUSTED DATA

The advance number of actual initial claims under state programs, unadjusted, totaled 412,873 in the week ending April 30, an increase of 25,006 from the previous week. There were 399,350 initial claims in the comparable week in 2010.

• Sher1 05/05/2011 8:58am

Toll-Free #’s to our Reps in Washington. TOLL FREE to Senators 1 888 245-0215. TOLL FREE to the
    Switchboard-Congress – 866 338-1015 ( You can reach Rep.Dave Camp at this # as well ) for those who have land-lines and/or no L D service.

• nancym 05/05/2011 10:58am

hello three r’s :)

That was just a proposal, never passed. The law was passed under Reagan in 1986, I also remember it clear as a bell. It was about the time I started realizing how many in Congress lacked common sense.

Documentation from the horse’s mouth:

CRS Report for Congress

• nancym 05/05/2011 11:24am

@Sher1—Link not working there for “Chris Matthews Show discussing Tier V with Stabenow & Sheldon 4/13/11”

• wstaff 05/05/2011 12:59pm

50 and over unemployed video

• wstaff 05/05/2011 1:10pm

House to Vote on Abortion Tax Bill
    May 4, 2011 – by Donny Shaw

And still not one jobs Bill. Lack of ability or plane laziness?
    I understand it takes time to create a Bill to improve the jobless
    market, but now into the 5th month congress has been in session.

When will Obama say enough is enough and tell congress to get back to work on
    a jobs Bill. Probably never or at best bet keep the hopes and dreams of many
    30-40 million still out of work on hold. Good idea consider hes on his re election campaign? His manager thinks its well worth the extra time but in
    most Americans view it’s not or should not give his campaign a boost.
    I for one, didn’t vote him in and doubt all re elect anyone who has not been
    on the side of the unemployed.

Double talking points and pure politics as usual will never put a full effort into creating a jobs Bill to get Americans back to work. Far as they are concerned we are jobless that still need to be restrained at all costs.

• johndavis53 05/05/2011 1:14pm

Wstaff,
    I never thought i would ever see a police man out of work.
    How is it possible?
    or are you a security guard?

• wstaff 05/05/2011 1:30pm

How about getting people back to work and stop this stupidity of passing Bills that do nothing in putting the economy back into a better light. 5 Months into the new Congress and either side has not bugged to get the economy back into the green. Pathetic or sheer laziness? I would have to safe a little of both.

Americans are happy watching their taxes being wasted away on useless Bills or
    in my eyes seem to be, because I have yet herd one political person stand up and say enough is enough. Lord knows the the ability to talk out of both sides of their mouth is being displayed in full forum. America will never stand on its own and seldom find individuals standing up and telling Congress or the President to get things in Order Now and stop wasting tax payer dollars. The ability to help other countries and nobody in our own country is truly the worst display of what it means to hold your own before preaching to the masses. Disgusting tactics need to stop…

• wstaff 05/05/2011 1:41pm

Security Officer of 13 yrs. One field you would not think there was a shortage of and yet here I am 2 years 5 days have passed and not one employer response.

And with two degree’s in Criminal Justice you would have thought it would have increased my chances for landing that good job the Universities are Proud to preach. Not so quick. Now I am looked at as over qualified and probably want to much money for the basic Security officer, actually I would be happy with a minimum wage job until which time my security clearance passes and I can move forward to a better job. Secret clearance can take up to a year before you
    can apply yourself with a government job / security job on a larger scale and thats only if you pass a spectrum of qualifications. Crossing my fingers but that is not taking care of the now and be dammed to watch 30 -40 million american like me, being totally ignored by this president or Congress.

• wstaff 05/05/2011 1:53pm

Legion1 I totally agree with you on the 81% on the positive side. 120 are probably the followers of the rest of America buying into trust the government
    way of doing things. Keep the blind following the blind and be happy!! cause
    after all we are still a free country or are we?

Interesting development tho. A friend of mine for 13 yrs found himself just last week finding out what it means to also be in the unemployment line because his company like others decided the benefits of downsizing would save them money. I did not laugh at my friend or tell him I told you so, no instead he can tell all his other friends no job is safe and if you think otherwise chances are your in the soon to be let go seat. He can tell his story and maybe save someone to rethink being a smart @ss and poking fun of the 30 -40 million who continue to find it difficult to find work. Our numbers should be at 99% and holding, not what is displayed currently.

• WasMiddleClass 05/05/2011 7:47pm

@where

Don’t worry, I am still alive and kicking :)

• WasMiddleClass 05/05/2011 7:49pm

The experience of having my truck towed away and impounded because I could not afford to pay insurance on it being unemployed, and receiving no UI benefits any longer, really reinforced what I already learned about the “system” being rigged against anyone that has little or no money.

Because of what others did to try to get even richer, I lost my career, and income. And because of that I was penalized by my right to have transportation to try to find another job being taken away, and multiple fines, and much higher insurance rates being charged to me just because I lost my income.

I am now another $1000 in debt because of that, and if I did not have friends that were capable of helping me get my truck back and registered, while giving me some temporary work, I would have zero chance of being able to find a full time job ever again without transportation.

How many others out there don’t have friends that are in the position to help them in these crazy times…

• WasMiddleClass 05/05/2011 7:53pm

And I see that none other than nancym figured out how to use the new link system here.

Smarty pants ;)

• WasMiddleClass 05/05/2011 8:33pm

I’ll repost my reply on another site here because I have heard this said here many times before, and on many other sites also. I have posted the facts about how unemployment is determined many times already…

You said: “Complicating things a increase in unemployment figures would go up if 99ers were included in the figures.”

How exactly?

Some people think that to get these figures on unemployment, the Government uses the number of persons filing claims for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits under State or Federal Government programs. But some people are still jobless when their benefits run out, and many more are not eligible at all or delay or never apply for benefits. So, quite clearly, UI information cannot be used as a source for complete information on the number of unemployed.

Not a valid argument for the Dems position…

• Legion1 05/05/2011 8:55pm

We now have the Republican answer…..

Republican Bill Would Change State Unemployment Benefits
    Washington, D.C. (May 5, 2011)

By Michael Cohn, Accounting Today

Republicans in the House and Senate introduced a bill Thursday that could drastically change the way states distribute unemployment insurance benefits.

The Jobs, Opportunity, Benefits, and Services Act, or JOBS Act, would give states the option to change the way they spend the remaining $31 billion in federal unemployment funds that they have access to this year.

The bill was introduced in the Senate by Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, the ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee, and in the House by Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp, R-Mich., Human Resources Subcommittee Chairman Geoff Davis, R-Ky., and Human Resources Subcommittee member Rick Berg, R-N.D.