H.R.589 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011 as introduced.

• Sher1 06/03/2011 8:24am

As long as there is a TWO-PARTY system, “LESSER OF TWO EVILS = THE DEMOCRATS” US Rep Lee was on C-SPAN yesterday with discussion on HR 589 and the LONG-TERM unemployed called 99ers. Continue EMAILING – TWEETS – FAXING – CALLING for HR 589!

• Sher1 06/03/2011 8:27am

As long as there is a TWO-PARTY system, “LESSER OF TWO EVILS = THE DEMOCRATS” US Rep Lee was on C-SPAN yesterday with discussion on HR 589 and the LONG-TERM unemployed called 99ers. She also stress the point that this economic castrophophe permeated from the previous Bush/Cheney administration including the BILLIONS spent on wars in IRAQ & AFGHANISTAN. That must be said repeatedly to the American people!! Continue EMAILING – TWEETS – FAXING – CALLING for HR 589!

• BPennett 06/03/2011 12:08pm

You got it Nancym…… I even wrote a letter to Obama when he first got started and warned him that unemployment would “eat at the fabric” of our society…..AT THIS POINT UNEMPLOYMENT IS 100% A MORAL CRISIS…..there is simply no other way to characterize it…..evidently common sense and political sense don’t coorespond…..maybe most of them don’t even know what MORALITY is?? why is it always what is politically expedient?? It actually makes you want to vomit….. WE NEED TO START THINKING 3 DIMENSIONALLY and the 3rd dimension that should be proprietary is MORALITY!!!!! The 1st question should always be WHAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO?…..not how can I cover my ass??

• Sher1 06/03/2011 2:10pm

John Boehner’s Pathetic 10-Page Jobs Plan"
    By Andy Kroll: Criticism is well deserved. Reading the “House Republican Plan for America’s Job Creators” (PDF), released by the House GOP leadership, is an exercise in wonderment: The GOP plan boiled down to its essence is rather retro: Roll back regulation, lower taxes, pass free trade agreements, shrink the US debt, and boost energy production. There’s nothing in this plan that is specific regarding the current jobs crisis, nothing to address such key issues as long-term unemployment, skyrocketing youth unemployment, the war on unemployment benefits in the states (PDF), the use and efficacy of job retraining for laid-off workers, or the polarization of the American work force. It’s empty rhetoric, recycled talking points, and campaign slogans. READ MORE: http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/05/republicans-plan-jobs-boehner-cantor

• Sher1 06/03/2011 2:18pm

Now we know why no legislation has been introduced in the 112th Congress to jumpstart this economy, JOBS JOBS and HR 589. President Obama inherited this debt by $12 TRILLION dollars from the previous administration of Bush/Cheney and the republican tea party has been the PARTY OF NO since this President Obama was sworn in over 2yrs ago! $12 TRILLION national debt + 2 WARS and the republicans are concerned about SPENDING after they SPENT all they could when they had all 3 houses culminating into the abyss America is in. They want THIS President to be a ONE-TERM President, bring back the same inept party that got America into these messes.. DON’T believe the hype and don’t be fooled by the language! OBTW Universal healthcare was implemented FREE of CHARGE to the Iraqi people compliments of President GW Bush 6 years BUT the American people are paying for it and will be for years to come! “LESSER OF TWO EVILS = THE DEMOCRATS”

• WasMiddleClass 06/03/2011 7:07pm

Lately when I have some work I come home in the evening and turn on the news. Every day seems to be a big WTF.

The jobs report was not really a shock, other than that it was not “doctored” more. It shows what most of us that live in the real world already know, there is still no jobs for millions, and it is getting worse, unless you consider a part time minimum wage job good…

The story about a thousand people lining up to apply for a temp minimum wage job at a state fair says it all.

The happenings in the middle east…, I think it is only a mater of time before something really big happens there.

And of course they had to take time to report about dingbat Palin on her “freedom trail” not even knowing about Paul Revere, and the old north church, and the LANTERNS. I learned that as a little kid! How the hell can anyone think she would be a good president! I wouldn’t even want to go on a date with a dingbat like that!

No wonder so many people don’t even watch the news these days

• WasMiddleClass 06/03/2011 7:15pm

Since some posts here read like campaigning for Obama, can someone please tell me what he is doing to help the 99ers? Can someone tell me anything he has said on that topic?

How about the Patriot act extension, that the Dems were supposed to be against for so long?

Personally I would like to spit in many Republicans faces these days, but I would still like to know exactly how much “LESSER” Obama is.

• WasMiddleClass 06/03/2011 8:09pm

The Democrats and ‘Lesser Evil’ Politics

Why is it that people in the United States enjoy far fewer social benefits than the working class, middle class and the poor who live in many other industrialized capitalist countries?

Why is it that the major social benefits Americans do have — such as Medicare,  Social Security and food stamps — are constantly in danger from right wing Republicans and conservative Democrats? Why is it that the modern Democratic Party always seems to compromise and retreat, even when it is the stronger of the political duopoly? And why is it that there aren’t more viable choices at the ballot box to help overcome this situation?

• WasMiddleClass 06/03/2011 8:24pm

More from my link,

For example, the two parties combined neoliberalism and globalization to benefit the big corporations at the expense the American working people and the society in which they live. Both supported the financialization of the economy and then deregulated the financial markets. Both presided over the deindustrialization of the United States. Both facilitated the greed and gambling that led to the Great Recession. Both do little to seriously alleviate unemployment. Both refused to take effective steps to prevent millions of home foreclosures or to fight for programs to rebuild America’s neglected infrastructure

• WasMiddleClass 06/03/2011 8:26pm

@where 06/02/2011 1:29am

Yup, mans best friend. I don’t know how I would have got through the past few years without mine.

• HopefromCA 06/03/2011 9:29pm

I saw on the website an Article on “The Scariest Jobs Chart Ever Looks HORRIBLE”. The improvement in the employment is leveling off. I wonder what excuses Congress is going to give us now?

• WasMiddleClass 06/03/2011 9:56pm

@HopefromCA

A link would be nice Hope :)

• HopefromCA 06/03/2011 10:17pm

WAS,
    Sorry about that!

• WasMiddleClass 06/03/2011 10:27pm

@HopefromCA

• HopefromCA 06/04/2011 12:25pm

There are some new articles that indicate that the housing market is still dropping. Congress has been going about fixing the problem the wrong way. Congress needs to create jobs, not just throw money at the banks. As 70% of the economy is the consumer if they don’t feel confidence at their jobs then the spending will not happen. Unemployment will continue to rise as all stimulus created from Congress runs out of funds.

• nancym 06/04/2011 3:28pm

@ Was, where

For me, it’s two cats and a small bird. Helps keep the blood pressure down. :)

• nancym 06/04/2011 3:38pm

Good point, Hope. I never understood all this concern (translate: talking points) about “confidence” lacking in American businesses. Confidence for businesses comes primarily from people buying their goods in sufficient quantities. If no one is coming into my store, I sure as heck am not going to take my tax breaks and go out and hire more people. As for the big internationals, I don’t think mega-corporation execs need any more testosterone-induced confidence than they already have, while they sit on their trillions. Who is in more need of confidence—those guys, or the American consumer and worker?

I’ll make a distinction there between personal tax breaks and subsidies and actual incentives for new industries that show promise, like new energy and infrastructure, which require actual investment in order to get those deductions.

• WasMiddleClass 06/04/2011 8:06pm

@nancym

I like cats too. I used to have cats. My landlord has two now that are my friends. My dog tries to be friends with the cats all the time too because he grew up with a cat that was his friend, but my landlords cats don’t like dogs. He gets upset when the cats won’t play with him :)

• WasMiddleClass 06/04/2011 8:07pm

20 Facts About US Inequality That Everyone Should Know (With An Update On The Uber-Wealthy And Global Wealth Inequality)

Courtesy of the Stanford Center for the Study of Poverty and Inequality, we bring you the “20 facts about US Inequality that Everyone Should Know”. For everything one has always wanted to know about wage inequality, CEO pay, homelessness, education wage premium, gender pay gaps, occupational sex segregation, racial gaps in education, racial discrimination, child poverty, residential segregation, health insurance, inter and intragenerational income mobility, bad jobs, discouraged workers, wealth inequality, labor market deregulation, job losses, immigrants and inequality and productivity and real income, this is the definitive resource.

• WasMiddleClass 06/04/2011 8:10pm

The Republicans insist any tax increase on the rich is off the table, and Ryan’s budget calls for another 10% cut for the richest…

And we can’t afford many social programs anymore?

HMMMMMM!

Top Marginal Tax Rates 1916-2010

• where 06/04/2011 8:38pm

@ WasMiddleClass 06/03/2011 7:07pm

Here is where I have been driving at, Who do we support as a candidate? You whack at Palin, So do tell what about her do you not like? Not the leftist hack jobs, Just what dont you like about her “policies”? Yes out of 10,000 hrs of video they caught her screwing up in a 2 second bit, Please lay your cards on the table. We know republicans and democrats are all FU what about Palin is screwed up? I love the idea that she isnt a career politician, She isnt perfect just like me.

• WasMiddleClass 06/04/2011 9:25pm

@where

From the first time I heard her talk, and every time since, I got a deep feeling the she is someone that I would not even want running my town, never mind my county.

She couldn’t even finish her term as governor, and quit to become a celebrity and make money.

And to quote one of my conservative friends once again,

“Yet today we hear literally nothing about these issues among the so-called “Tea Party” candidates and their backers. Sarah Palin has not said one word about locking up the banksters that brought up on the housing bubble and economic collapse"…

“Tea Party my ass. This was nothing other than The Republican Party stealing
    the anger of a population that was fed up with The Republican Party’s own theft of their tax money at gunpoint to bail out the robbers of Wall Street and fraudulently redirecting it back toward electing the very people who stole all the ****ing money!”

• WasMiddleClass 06/04/2011 9:30pm

When I said I would not even want to go on a date with her because she is such a dingbat, I meant it.

I think she only cares about being a celebrity, and being in the limelight, while making a lot of money.

• WasMiddleClass 06/04/2011 9:49pm

Real “conservatives” don’t think that the best thing for America is taking away everything form 99% of the people and giving it to the other 1% because that is who pays them.

• WasMiddleClass 06/04/2011 10:01pm

A friend gave me this book. I recommend all read it.

Winner-Take-All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer—and Turned Its Back on the Middle Class

• where 06/05/2011 1:46am

You know I love you was, But you ran around my question and never came near answering it, What do you not like about her?

• nancym 06/05/2011 1:56am

@where

I’ll take a bite on that, just one factor, out of a few hundred objections to her as a candidate.

You say “Yes out of 10,000 hrs of video they caught her screwing up in a 2 second bit…” Well, that’s ok to exaggerate to the extreme like that to make your point in this informal gathering here at OC; we all know you aren’t writing a thesis on that. But that statement is typical of the kind of thing Palin does ALL the time, but it’s not over the dinner table, it’s when she’s addressing crowds about policy, where facts DO matter. And she has so little command of the facts—on just about any subject—that she inspires minus confidence that she could evaluate any policy matters whatsoever.

(cont.)

• nancym 06/05/2011 1:57am

Here’s a typical set of reckless statements, not spanning 10,000 hours, but rather just one interview! Stuff like this matters, especially when it’s addressed to angry crowds who may not bother to really check those “facts” before they cast their votes:

And that’s the tip of the iceberg. Add to that her acceptance of most of the Republican party line regarding social and economic policies that do absolutely nothing to create jobs, I have to ask, what’s to like, not what’s not to like!

• Sher1 06/05/2011 10:13am

Palin? katie Couric Interview synopsis. “Name some magazines & newspapers that you read” Palin stumbles verbally and finally says “I’ll have to think about that and get back to ya”. She did what she was told, took the money & ran. Presidential??? Sarah Palin is nothing but the conservative’s answer to a wet dream! Now lets see how many of them I ticked off with this post!

• Sher1 06/05/2011 10:22am

Good article on nothing being done in Congress about JOBS! Republican Tea Party does NOT want this President to success in ending this Recession caused by President Bush! OR ending a $12 TRILLION national debt that President Bush left behind! OR ending the 2 wars in Iraq & Afghanistan costing over $1 TRILLION dollars that President Bush left behind! The dirty laundry of President George W.Bush goes on with America NOT forgetting who was in the White House when this these crisis occurred and did nothing to stop it. President Obama cannot introduce legislation and the 112th republican Congress has done and will continue to do nothing to end these crisis while President Obama is in office!