H.R.6311 - S.O.S Act
To prevent deaths occurring from drug overdoses. view all titles (3)
All Bill Titles
- Official: To prevent deaths occurring from drug overdoses. as introduced.
- Short: S.O.S Act as introduced.
- Short: Stop Overdose Stat Act as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 1
- Past Seven Days: 3
- All-Time: 1,270
Official SummaryStop Overdose Stat Act or the S.O.S. Act - Requires the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to: (1) award grants or enter into cooperative agreements to enable eligible entities to reduce deaths occurring from drug overdoses, and (2) give priority to eligible pu
Official SummaryStop Overdose Stat Act or the S.O.S. Act - Requires the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to:
(1) award grants or enter into cooperative agreements to enable eligible entities to reduce deaths occurring from drug overdoses, and
(2) give priority to eligible public health agencies or community-based organizations that have expertise in preventing deaths occurring from overdoses in high risk populations. Conditions receipt of a grant or agreement on an entity agreeing to use the grant or agreement for:
(1) purchasing and distributing the drug naloxone;
(2) educating physicians and pharmacists about overdose prevention and naloxone prescription;
(3) training first responders, other individuals in a position to respond to an overdose, and law enforcement and corrections officials on the effective response;
(4) implementing and enhancing programs to provide overdose prevention, recognition, treatment, and response to individuals in need; and
(5) expanding such programs. Requires the Director to:
(1) compile and publish, annually, data on fatal and nonfatal drug overdoses for the preceding year; and
(2) award grants to state, local, or tribal governments, or the National Poison Data System working in conjunction with such governments, to improve drug overdose surveillance and reporting capabilities. Requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to develop and submit to Congress a plan to reduce the number of deaths occurring from overdoses. Requires the Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) to:
(1) prioritize and conduct or support research on drug overdose and overdose prevention, and
(2) support research on the development of dosage forms of naloxone for the prehospital treatment of unintentional drug overdose.
...Read the Rest
Latest Letters to Congress
H.R.6311 S.O.S Act
February 25, 2013
I am writing as your constituent in the 1st Congressional district of Iowa. I support H.R.6311 - S.O.S Act, and am tracking it using OpenCongress.org, the free public resource website for government transparency and accountability. Opioid Drug overdoses, including prescription pain medications and heroin have skyrocketed in the last decade. They have reached epidemic proportions. In part, this bill would expand the use of naloxone, a medication that reverses opioid drug overdose beyond publi...