H.R.6556 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act

To provide for the further temporary extension of the emergency unemployment compensation program, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To provide for the further temporary extension of the emergency unemployment compensation program, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act as introduced.

• wstaff 01/24/2011 9:12am

Well me time is drawing near. Still No Work/No Funds and Forced to drop out of my
    BA Criminal Justice with 4 months left till graduation. Government Doesn’t Care.
    Even like me, you try and do the right things to get ahead and it seems the further ahead you walk, we get tossed three paces (or more) behind. All they (GOV) can say is, “will get to it in due time”. Someone needs to remind them they work for us. Very Displeased.10+ years of service I dedicated to this country and now told thank you but we can not do anything for you. There’s gratitude for you. A kiss and a Slap. Even like me, you make good choices and fight till the end, whats left? Hope,ridicule from employers who are not hiring because the economy is washed up? Leap of faith in the system, because after all they work for us? Might as well say hey look a penny on the ground invest it,save it for a rainy day. It has gum on it but no worries that comes free of charge.

sclark113 01/26/2011 9:51am

wstaff

Don’t know what to say bud, I caught your comment on my article and I wish I had some great advise to help get you thorough this, but you are one of millions being ignored by people that simply should know better! I don’t know what you personal situation is, but if you have a medical condition that keeps you from working you may be eligible for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) through Social Security. Make sure you touch base with your local unemployment department before everything goes dark to see if they have any other assistance programs that can help. Stay strong and don’t forget about the local library if there is one near by. Sorry again! There is a more active board for the 99ers on OpenCongress, try going to the S.3706 board as well.

• wstaff 01/24/2011 9:45am

On another note; Avoid scam job sites that claim they have located jobs for you online. Data collecting money grubbers would be a better term for them. Most do not put forth a effort to update their sites. I know this because I fell into that trap. Also avoid workathome scams. Anyway keep up the fight. My next meal is in a trash can locate near by.

• sclark113 01/25/2011 3:24am

Tier 5 Unemployment Extension – State of the Union

WasMiddleClass 01/25/2011 1:30pm

Another good article my friend.

• wstaff 01/25/2011 6:12am

Scott – I read the article and it is point on when dealing with what will be said tonight on the State of the Union address.(Everyone should read it). We
    will never have a president who’s talk points is to tell the truth based on real hard facts in a venue such as this speech. Like all dirty politics if he does not say the right words then he stands a chance of someone digging up real(FAKE) dirt to get him Impeached. That is how this game is played,which is to bad because I would respect someone a little more when they speak truths, no matter the consequences. What would really be impressive is if nobody watched this speech tonight and those that cover it, lose ratings, just might give us 99ers a real push in shaking up both venues. Sorry if I offend anyone in advance, but I call it as I see it .

wstaff 01/25/2011 6:36am

Cont-

Voices by protesting this speech are louder then just talk points and its about time we (99ers) made a strong impact. Another way is to call your congress person/s and tell them not to show up in protest of the state of the union. We rallied before and we can do this again. Someone or thing has to give and I be,
    hell or high water, will not lay down my life or retreat until we (99ers) are herd. I ask Congress Lady Lee (H.R. 6556) to push hard with her constituents to do just that and boycott or protest or any other word that fits this speech.
    A old Marine Corps General told me once, “We stand together and raise our Might because anything less is not except-able”. It holds more truer today then it did at the time he spoke these words.

• ssari30 01/25/2011 9:03am

Barbara Lee is a wonderful person in my book.

“Never stop fighting till the fight is done” Elliot Ness

• WasMiddleClass 01/25/2011 1:28pm

Jobs were created…things are getting better………BS!

Connecticut Loses 4,300 Jobs in December

“I never expected to see a decline of that magnitude,” said Nick Perna, an economic forecaster who lectures at Yale and is an adviser to Webster Bank.

• WasMiddleClass 01/25/2011 1:29pm

I just bet Obama will talk about the 1 million jobs created in the state of the union…

Figure in population growth and we still LOST jobs!

Things are getting worse and DC ignores the rapidly growing population of the 99ers.

We have a SERIOUS problem with both parties!

• WasMiddleClass 01/25/2011 1:32pm

Is there hope for 99ers in the 112th Congress?
    January 25, 2011 – by Donny Shaw

The American 99ers Union, a coalition of groups advocating for people who have been unemployed for more than 99 weeks, have announced that Rep. Barbara Lee [D, CA-9] will reintroduce her bill from the previous session of Congress to extend the total length of time a person can collect unemployment insurance by 14 weeks and provide the new benefits retroactively to people who have already exhausted all of their benefits. Now, the mere introduction of a bill is not in itself a newsworthy event, especially when it’s being introduced by a liberal Democrat in a conservative, Republican-controlled chamber. But the 99ers Unions is suggesting that the new bill will be paid for, and, depending on the details, that could be enough to make it at least within the realm of possibility that it could see action this session.

• sclark113 01/26/2011 3:02am

Tier 5 Unemployment Extension – the Real State of the Union

• sclark113 01/26/2011 9:40am

I highly recommend giving this a look….

A 99ers Response to the State of the Union Address – Offered by Paladinette

WasMiddleClass 01/26/2011 3:06pm

That’s my Pal ;)

• wstaff 01/26/2011 12:10pm

Thank you and i have read the article and posted a comment. I am so close to puking as this has really spiked up my nerves and sent me spinning. Worried about the future of our children Congress? Well take a look …No I mean a real look. That lady standing there in rags with her three kids (With sad smiles on their faces) that is what your plan has done so far concerning our children s future. See that gentleman in the Dress blues Jacket with several stripes on the sleeves under that piece of cardboard sleeping? As a single parent his kids now live in foster homes(Not Plural)your planning did that too. Your talking points only become worthless when in this case, they carry no meaning or purpose. You get the same effect when you speak and say nothing and that my friend is exactly how the 99ers and the American people hear you.

• WasMiddleClass 01/26/2011 3:00pm

I just got home from a trip to the grocery store to get a few things in the middle of another big snow storm here. On may way out of the store there was a couple that appeared to be in their fifties outside the door holding a gas can. The man asked me if I could spare a dollar for gas. I ended up talking to them. The man (Mark) lost his job when the company he worked for for 20 years closed their factory here to send the work to China. His wife was laid off from her job in a office. They lost their home of 18 years to foreclosure, and are now living in their mini-van. They are both 99ers. I asked them if they tried to go to the (small) homeless shelter here. They said they did several times but there are far more people trying to get in than there are beds available.

WasMiddleClass 01/26/2011 3:01pm

I gave them the few dollars I had left and told them that there are others out there fighting for help from our government. I gave them my phone number and address, and told them I would do whatever I could to help them get their story told to the media and DC, and invited them to dinner.

This winter has been breaking records all across the country for record cold and record snow. There are countless 99ers, and those unemployed that couldn’t even get UI, trying to survive outdoors in this weather. It has been a back breaking, much time consuming job, just to cut and spit enough wood for me to keep warm this winter with several feet of snow on the ground. And I am lucky compared to what many others are dealing with now.

• WasMiddleClass 01/26/2011 3:01pm

Obamas words of “the worst of the recession is over” have been burning in my mind since last night.

On the same day the Hartford Courant ran this front page headline.

“Connecticut Loses 4,300 Jobs in December”

“Connecticut lost 4,300 jobs in December, a miserable month closing out a terrible year for job-seekers.”

And that is from one of the (supposedly) richest states in the nation!

Ask any of the rapidly increasing numbers of 99ers if the worst is over!!!!

• sclark113 01/27/2011 3:46am

Tier 5 Unemployment Extension – New Unemployment Claims Data for Jan. 27"TH

In what this writer finds to be very disturbing news is what some will look upon favorably – that the total number of people claiming benefits in all programs for the week ending Jan. 8 was 9,410,977. This number is down by (197,446) people. What might seem like good news is most likely very bad news as this number indicates that thousands of people have seen their benefits expire and they have now become America’s new 99ers in great need of an unemployment extension in the form of a Tier 5.

• WasMiddleClass 01/27/2011 10:47am

More than 1,000 try for 50 union jobs in Joliet

JOLIET — Nearly 1,100 people applied for 50 full-time jobs offered Wednesday at the Central Grocers distribution center.

In a bad economy, Central Grocers is growing — but not fast enough to accommodate the demand for good, full-time jobs.

• WasMiddleClass 01/27/2011 10:48am

For older, out-of-work residents, the future looks grim

Rough economy has pushed some into homelessness

Kathleen Harwell can’t imagine what life on the streets would be like for a 59-year-old woman with diabetes and high blood pressure, but she’s afraid she’ll soon find out.

After nearly two years without work and no luck finding a new job, the Laurel resident is on the brink of homelessness. She has run out of savings and unemployment benefits. She’s too young for Social Security. And she’s not the only one in this frightening fix

A burgeoning group of older, jobless people — here and nationwide — have found everything they worked for over the decades snatched away by the sharp downturn and slow recovery. Laid-off workers in their 50s, 60s and older are facing grim prospects of finding a new job, the worst for any age group in at least five recessions, at a time when hardly anyone is finding re-employment easy or quick.

WasMiddleClass 01/27/2011 10:48am

Link to article,

• sclark113 01/27/2011 11:41am

Senate Democrats Forfeit 50-Vote Option For Rules Changes

“The window to change the Senate rules during this session through a simple majority vote ended without action last night as lawmakers in the chamber agreed to adjourn the first day of the 112th Congress.”

“With it went the chance for Democrats to exercise what’s known as the “constitutional option” — a maneuver that rules-reform advocates said would have allowed members to present their procedural changes with 51 votes."

• WasMiddleClass 01/27/2011 2:51pm

“I don’t think there has been much sentiment in Congress to extend unemployment beyond 99 weeks, unfortunately,” Goolsbee said.

Goolsbee said that he is aware of the plight of the 99ers and finds their situation “really heartbreaking.”

So it is “really heartbreaking”, but too frigging bad?!!!!!!!

• duerz 01/28/2011 9:51am

They will not pass a bill which would mess up the total unemployment rate. Right now it is under 10% – but what if they did pass this bill. What would it be then? Democrats and Republicans will not like what they see – because they don’t want everyone to know the true facts. Plain and Simple.

• sclark113 01/28/2011 12:44pm

It’s Official — 1.4 Million 99ers — Far Too Many, but Still Too Few?

• duerz 01/29/2011 8:45am

Why not just pass a bill for one week for the 99ers to check their numbers? That would not cost that much, and answer the question?
    What is the grand total?

• sclark113 01/30/2011 5:12am

Tier 5 Unemployment Extension – Meeting with Representative Jim Gerlach (R, PA-6)

• sclark113 02/02/2011 9:42am

Tier 5 Unemployment Extension – Results of Meeting with Representative Jim Gerlach (R, PA-6)

WasMiddleClass 02/02/2011 3:36pm

I think I remember you over there arguing a little with the author below too ;)

I did like his change your party affiliation thing…I disagreed with some other stuff…