H.R.669 - Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act
To prevent the introduction and establishment of nonnative wildlife species that negatively impact the economy, environment, or other animal species' or human health, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)
All Bill Titles
- Official: To prevent the introduction and establishment of nonnative wildlife species that negatively impact the economy, environment, or other animal species' or human health, and for other purposes. as introduced.
- Short: Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 4
- Past Seven Days: 16
- All-Time: 34,630
OpenCongress SummaryRequires the Secretary of the Interior to establish a process for assessing the risk of importing nonnative wildlife species. Provides for the issuance of lists of species approved and prohibited for importation.
Official SummaryNonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act - Requires the Secretary of the Interior to promulgate regulations establishing a process for assessing the risk of all nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation into the United States, other than those included in a list of approved spec
Official SummaryNonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act - Requires the Secretary of the Interior to promulgate regulations establishing a process for assessing the risk of all nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation into the United States, other than those included in a list of approved species issued under this Act. Sets forth factors that must be considered, including the identity of the organism to the species level, the native range of the species, whether the species has caused harm to the economy, the environment, or other animal species or human health in similar ecosystems, and the likelihood of establishment or spread of the species in the United States. Provides procedures for issuance and expansion of a list of nonnative wildlife species approved for importation and a list of nonnative wildlife species that are prohibited.Establishes prohibitions on:
(1) importation or transportation between states of nonnative species that are not included in the list of approved species;
(2) permit violations; and
(3) possession, purchase, sale, barter, release, or breeding of such species. Exempts from such prohibitions actions by law enforcement personnel to enforce this Act or by federal or state officials to prevent the introduction or establishment of nonnative wildlife species. Declares that nothing in this Act restricts the importation or transportation between states of such species by a federal agency for its own use if the species remains in its possession. Authorizes the Secretary to issue permits authorizing otherwise prohibited importation for scientific research, for medical, accredited zoological or aquarium display purposes, or for educational purposes that are specifically reviewed, approved, and verified by the Secretary if the Secretary finds that there has been a proper showing by the permittee of responsibility for the specimen and continued protection of the public interest and health. Allows the imposition of fees on persons who submit a proposal to include a species in either of the lists to recover the costs of assessing risks of nonnative wildlife species. Establishes a Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Fund into which such fees and fines for violations will be deposited.Redesignates the Invasive Species Council established by Executive Order 13112 as the National Invasive Species Council.
...Read the Rest
Organizations Supporting H.R.669
- National Wildlife Federation
- Nature Conservancy
- great lakes united
- natural areas association
- Union of Concerned Scientists
- Humane Society of the United States
- ...and 2 more. See all.
Organizations Opposing H.R.669
- American Pet Products Manufacturers Assocation
- American Federation of Aviculture (Kansas City, Missouri)
- Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council
Latest Letters to Congress
H.R.669 Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act
August 20, 2011
SAY NO to this BILL its unconstitutional and there is overwhelming evidence aginst it doing any good for anything this needs to be adressed immidiately and this bill must not pass the people are against it!
I am writing as your constituent in the 2nd Congressional district of Arizona. I'm tracking H.R.669 - Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act using OpenCongress.org, the free public resource website for government transparency and accountability.