H.R.6867 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008

To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (6)

• Official: To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as enacted.

• Anonymous 09/14/2008 5:15pm

I don’t see any information on this bill, what it includes etc. Does anyone have the complete details on HR 6867? This may just be the extension to the 13 weeks that we are getting now, I’m guessing. So anyone that got the extension should qualify for this 7 weeks?

• Anonymous 09/14/2008 5:18pm

They should get this passed before our extension runs out an that is about 3 or 4 weeks. I can’t imagine them moving this quickly unless it’s some crap that would help them.

• Anonymous 09/14/2008 5:22pm

My thoughts to everyone that continues to struggle, maybe a little asking from god could help.

• Anonymous 09/14/2008 5:33pm

I’ve done a lot more than a “little” asking from God! As for Congress, they’ve got a lot to do before they leave….a bunch of energy bills, etc. And it will be very interesting to see what happens tomorrow (Monday) on Wall Street if Lehman Bros. goes belly-up at midnite tonite. Oh yeah…gonna be talking to the Big Guy Upstairs a lot!

• Anonymous 09/14/2008 5:36pm

Jackie….don’t give up! Brandy

• Anonymous 09/14/2008 5:42pm

Re: “I was laid off in 2007 April. I drew regular unemployment until October, just got the extension in July. How will I be able to draw the second 7 weeks if my extension expires in a few weeks? UE in MI.”

If the 7 week portion of H.R. 6867 passes, your extension will just continue as is, same amount. Looking at the bill, it may pass for 7 nationwide and 13 for states above 6.0. If a state has recently moved upwards to 6.0 or does so during the extension time, there may be some kind of time frame factored in for additional weeks.

I doubt the wait time for the 7 weeks will be long as most state offices are caught up and computers are already programmed.

• outoftime 09/14/2008 6:25pm

Wow!, Bmoore is back. Your inspiration was always appreciated, and would be again, very much.

I want to make one last comment on all these posts from our troll, and its constant comments that we are all the same person.

We all know that is BS, and the only reason it could possibly want to say things like that is to disrupt and discredit this forum.

The best way to deal with it is to just ignore it. That has been proven on many forums. Don’t feed it. I know, I fed it before too.

Some of us may have had some arguments among ourselves, but we are all in this together, and usually get along pretty good. We all have our own opinions, and we all have our own problems and demons to deal with, but we also have a lot in common. Everyone needs to work together now.

The last thing we need is to let the troll cause arguments between members here and also the Anons that are here for legitimate reasons too.

These forums are a lot different than most forums because they don’t have any actual admins of the forums. So it is up to the people here to get along and deal with everything on their own.

I have decided, from learning the hard way, that you really can’t “feed the trolls” at all.

If everyone logs in all the time, it would really help avoid misunderstandings of who is saying what here.

I don’t know if I will be online for much longer or not at this point. I have some serious choices to make now, to make sure I will be able to survive the winter. The internet is a great source of information, which is extremely important in these times, but it also costs money.

We are in some really crazy times these days, and need to stick together.

The predictions from what could happen because of Lehman Bros. are very frightening.

I ask God for help and guidance all the time now.

Take care everyone.

PS You better watch out with that pic on here J. I’m sure it will attract attention. Touche maybe?.

outoftime 09/14/2008 9:47pm

WHY DID YOU FEEL THE NEED TO POST THIS HERE? THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT, AND YOU KNOW VERY WELL WHERE TO FIND ME TOO.

YOU JUST PROVED WHAT I SUSPECTED FOR A LONG TIME.

“true colors”

• outoftime 09/14/2008 7:08pm

Here is the link to the the actual text of the bill.

In brief, H.R. 6867:

• Would provide seven additional weeks of extended benefits for those who have exhausted their UI benefits across the country.
    • Would provide 13 more weeks of unemployment benefits for workers in states with high unemployment, defined as 6 percent or higher.
    • Is paid for through the existing federal unemployment trust fund.
    • Is estimated to distribute about $6 billion in benefits.
    • Without this legislation, nearly 800,000 workers are expected to run out of their current extended benefits in October. This number will grow to 1.1 million by the end of calendar year 2008.

outoftime 09/14/2008 7:18pm

I know, I wish I just listened better, and prepared better when I first started reading about it.

Things are going down hill fast now.

Anonymous 10/29/2008 6:06am

repubs said If she wasn’t white and rich, she’d be in prison. She is a drug addict. No excuses Cindy — cut the nonsense, nobody forced you to take the drugs, nobody forced you to go doctor shopping. She is an addict, and apparently she successfully completed rehab, which is terrific, but if she’s honest she must admit that there is a constant risk of relapse. Which is true for all drug addicts. Even the rich white Republican ones.

Isn’t it interesting how the Republicans are so “compassionate” when it comes to rich or powerful white people. Cindy’s a drug addict but she’s a role model, an inspiration, someone to admire because of that. Some poor 15 year old black kid who is a drug addict is awful, terrible, garbage, put them in prison and keep them there. Like Jeb Bush’s daughter. Like Rush Limbaugh. Entirely different set of rules for the powerful, rich Republicans. Like Palin having the teen pregnancy in her family, which Republicans used to condemn but apparently now it’s a prerequisite for getting the good seats at the convention.

I hope the Republicans don’t start running murderers for office, telling us how much they should be admired because they finally stopped. Wait a minute what am I saying? Have I been asleep for 8 years?

s/s Green Troll

outoftime 09/14/2008 7:26pm

We have to survive until then though. I’m getting really worried abut that.

outoftime 09/14/2008 7:31pm

I’ll definitely check that out.

• outoftime 09/14/2008 7:31pm

I think this needs to posted here

Editor’s Note: We’re at Impact

Over the last 12 months there have been a number of times when informed people thought “this is it.” Well if today and this past weekend aren’t “it”, I don’t know what is. We now have multiple large banks fighting for their lives and a 10 day disruption in gasoline supplies coming out of the Gulf Coast, both on the heels of the government nationalizing $5 trillion in mortgages and the Big
    Three automakers all letting it be known that they’re going to need government bailouts as well. And that’s before we even get to the crisis in Georgia over the BTC pipeline, the war in Nigeria MEND declared, or the rapidly collapsing climate.

About six months ago I wrote on this page it was time to “brace for impact”. Now I would say forget about bracing for impact, we are at impact right now. It may take a few weeks, even months, for the smoke to clear but I suspect that once it does, people will look back on mid-September as the day “it” happened.

As far as what you can do, my guess is you’re already doing whatever there is that you can realistically do. So there’s not much for me to tell you other than get ready to roll with the punches as things are about to get very interesting. Even the Wall Street Journal is, more or less, saying as much. In an article posted to its website last night, the Journal predicted that today is going to be “the mother of all Mondays”:

Investors world-wide have rarely rolled out of bed to face a Monday morning quite like the one they’ll contend with this Monday.

Sundays have long been host to important corporate news, from big mergers to bankruptcies. But this weekend, in an extraordinary meeting that recalled the summit called ten years ago amid the meltdown of hedge fund Long-Term Capital Management and J. Pierpont Morgan’s efforts more than 100 years ago to rescue a series of ailing banks, Wall Street’s most senior deal makers and regulators raced to find a deal that would keep storied Lehman Brothers Holdings from collapse. At this hour, their efforts have yet to yield any fruit. Barclays, which had come to be viewed over the weekend as the most likely bidder for the badly ailing Lehman, pushed away from the bargaining table on Sunday. The main impediment appeared to be that the U.S. government is reluctant to backstop a deal, as it had amid the Bear Stearns meltdown in March.

If Lehman can’t find a life raft, it could lead to turmoil in the credit markets as traders rework credit-default swaps and other trades with Lehman at their center. Credit-default swaps traders were called to work Sunday, the Wall Street Journal reported, for a special trading session that would let Lehman counterparties offset their positions against each other. Equity markets could also be roiled Monday. The crumbling of a major Wall Street institution is likely to shake badly the confidence of investors who had hoped the Street would make it through the credit crisis without yet another large firm being swallowed up. What’s more, the economic backdrop looks dimmer than it did in March when Bear Stearns was pushed into the arms of Jamie Dimon.

Any forced selling of stocks or other securities by hedge funds and other big investors linked to Lehman could further destabilize the markets.

You would think these developments along with Hurricane Ike and the government seizue of Fannie & Freddie would have been enough to wake the general public from its corn-syrup induced narcosis, but my guess is many (most?) people reading this are surrounded by people who still don’t have a clue as to what is going on.

outoftime 09/14/2008 7:41pm

Goodnight CS,

Hang in there. We will see what Monday brings.

• outoftime 09/14/2008 7:54pm

Sunday September 14, 04:28 PM
    UPDATE 1-Texas oil refineries could be down 9 days-US senator

WASHINGTON, Sept 14 (Reuters) – Texas oil refineries disabled by the massive Hurricane Ike could remain idled for up to nine days and Americans should brace for possible gas shortages, U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said on Sunday.
    ‘We are looking at another week or eight or nine days before refineries are up and going, so refined gasoline is going to be in a shortage situation because of the power outages and flooding,’ the Texas senator said on CBS (NYSE: RBV – news) ’ ‘Face the Nation.’

‘It is going to be felt for the next week, that we have gasoline shortages, so people need to be prepared for that.’

Hutchison said she had received a briefing on Ike’s aftermath from officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency who told her that 40,000 evacuees were spread across Texas and some 2 million people were without electricity.

Ike, a sprawling hurricane estimated to have caused billions of dollars of damage, forced a shutdown of a quarter of U.S. crude oil production as it passed over the heart of the U.S. energy industry.

• k6140002000 09/14/2008 9:28pm

I don’t see why all of you people conversing on the site don’t exchange instant messenger info. Leave the forum to usefull related facts and questions. So far there are 4 pages of posts with a half page of related content to unemployment extensions. I hope when we do get new jobs, we can focus on our related job duties. Instead of being distracted and off focus of the matter at hand, as so many of us are here. Will always be unemployed….scary

• Anonymous 09/14/2008 10:15pm

MA here. I got notice that the first extension check is being paid. It is half of the regular benefit amount. I understood that it would be the same amount as the regular amount. Has anyone experienced this?
    Thanks,