H.R.6867 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008

To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (6)

• Official: To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as enacted.

• Patriots 07/31/2009 5:24pm

And those damn spinning stars are making me dizzy again :)

nancym 07/31/2009 5:40pm

Hi Patriots, I also hate those stars. They could at least make them smaller or something! Maybe we could start a campaign against those stars. :)

Patriots 07/31/2009 5:44pm

Yeah, OC would just love that :)

Who the heck came up with those stars anyways?

• Patriots 07/31/2009 5:54pm

Hey OC guys, I know you put a lot of work into the new site, and I have not had to chance to really check it out yet, it looks good, but those stars………

aross 08/01/2009 10:20am

The stars only pop up when there is a request to the server (ie, when you post a new comment, etc). Are the stars not going away? Is there a bug? Or do you just not like the stars in general?

Thanks!

nancym 08/01/2009 12:53pm

Hi there, nice puppy. :)

No, it’s not a bug, and they go away, but understand that it takes a while for them to go away when net traffic or your site traffic or our own connections are slower than what you might be seeing on your end.

It’s really not a big deal (except for those of us prone to migraines—ha-ha!), more of a design peeve and minor annoyance. I hate to complain (but obviously I am), since this site has been such a great service to so many of us.

Either ignore my ramblings, or if it’s not a huge bother, maybe just make them a bit smaller, perhaps?

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:16pm

What’s my dog doing at your house?:)

I know how the stars work. They are a little annoying, but I am getting used to looking the other way when they pop up. They kind of make you dizzy (really):)

• Patriots 07/31/2009 6:22pm

I have been doing much thinking lately about if it is still worth it to try to deal with all the mounting problems we have now. I know I have to for some reason. I know that many are far worse off than I am, and many do not even have the opportunity to be heard in places like this.

Here is one more video that may help some out there.

Stay strong!

Good night.

• brunettenextdoor 07/31/2009 10:45pm

Anyone have an email distribution list created already for House reps?

nancym 08/01/2009 12:28am

Problem with email lists is that almost all House members now have limited their electronic input to web forms, calls, and sometimes faxes. So email is not always of use. There are a number of sites on the net that can send out multiple emails to your House and Senators by plugging in your zip code, as I’m sure you know.

You might be able to find email addresses for committees or their staff to make a list; I haven’t checked that. Actually, we probably won’t have much opposition in the House Ways and Means Committee, since Charlie Rangel is chairman and also a co-sponsor of the bill. It’s other committees maybe, and the Senate that might glom it all up.

• MIbumer 08/01/2009 1:55am

I haven’t been able to find any mention of this bill anywhere among the networks, just stuff about the clunker bill & health.

• NoGoodOnesLeft 08/01/2009 4:10am

I think the new bill should be a straight 13 weeks for all states. Just because a state’s rate is going up slower doesn’t mean the long term unemployed are suddenly getting jobs. It just means they are laying off people at a slower rate. Also, if they can give multibillions to the auto industry and the banks, they can certainly help the unemployed, too. Didn’t they just allocate another 2 bil to the Cash for Clunkers?

• NoGoodOnesLeft 08/01/2009 4:11am

Also, for anybody who has the problem I had. This new site doesn’t seem to work with Explorer 7. The “Post Comment” button doesn’t appear so you can type your message but then you have no way to post it. I updated to Explorer 8 and now it works.

• ohionoeb 08/01/2009 5:00am

HR 3404 ,for the extension of unemployment benefits, is now available on Open Congress

• johnj2010 08/01/2009 7:50am

• marine 08/01/2009 7:27pm

The current federal unemployment extensions, the EUC and state EB are due to expired in Dec 2009. HR 3404 pushes this deadline into 2010, so that people running out of regular benefits in Dec 2009 and Jan 2010 can be eligible for the EUC and EB extensions. And for those of us that will have exhausted all extensions, EUC and EB, HR 3404 has another 13 week EUC extension, for states with high unemployment, 9% over three months. So depending on how well this bill goes, it might become law by the middle of September, best case anyway.

• johnj2010 08/01/2009 7:46pm

GOOD ARTICLE -NEW YORK TIMES

• johnj2010 08/01/2009 7:50pm

Just one last thing

The new bill will help many, but not all come this fall- It’s only fair that our elected officials stand up & say 8% and above will receive the 13 weeks extension which would qualify most states.

• marine 08/01/2009 8:25pm

I agree. I wonder if 6.5 might be better because someone earlier mention that was Pres. Bush benchmark for UI extension. I think income tax exempt should be included.

• jgallop 08/02/2009 5:01am

Are they thinking about issuing another extension after TUR I was cut off in April because of a TRA/TAA settlement which was the rest of my TUR the gov’t don’t miss a beat when it comes to the little man. Be Blessed everyone out there <3

nancym 08/02/2009 5:12am

Go here to HR 3404 on Open Congress:

This whole forum may end up migrating over there anyway as the bill gets traction.

• BrokeInOhio 08/02/2009 6:59am

thank you to whoever it was that said to update you computer to explorer 8.. I could not find a post button the other way.

I hope the HR 3404 bill goes into effect in Sept. sometime or sooner. I have 1 week left of EB and I am done.

Melissa

nancym 08/02/2009 7:29am

Hi Melissa—

Besides IE 8, anyone with an older computer that can’t do that upgrade can alternatively use Firefox, which in my opinion is much faster anyway.

JohnB 08/02/2009 8:04am

I tried IE8 on one of my computers, had to reformat the hard drive, it caused so many problems. Google problems with IE8 before installing it (note the date of the comment about problems first)
    I have IE8 on the computer I’m using now.

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:18pm

Firefox!

Jondofox if you want to be sneaky :)

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/02/2009 8:54am

That was me, Melissa and you are welcome. I thought they were still working on the site or something and thought other people were just getting their posts in between OC working on it. Every morning for weeks my computer would tell me that Explorer 8 was downloaded and ready to install and I always chose “Remind me later”. Then that morning I did it and then the Post Comment button showed up here.

nancym 08/02/2009 9:01am

I was wondering where everyone had gone; I knew they didn’t all find jobs, that’s for sure.

I still say try Firefox. :)

dispaced2007 08/03/2009 8:13am

I have IE8, the “post comment” button was there, then the next day it vanished? I’m using firefox now and the “post comment” button is now visable

• JohnB 08/02/2009 8:09am

Geithner: Administration To Address Extending Unemployment Benefits

In my exclusive “This Week” interview, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner signaled that the administration would likely extend unemployment benefits again.

The New York Times reported this morning that up to 1.5 million people could lose their benefits by year’s end. When I pressed Geithner for a response, he promised the administration would “do enough to bring this economy back” and pledged to take up the issue “as we get closer to the end of this year.”

nancym 08/02/2009 8:39am

I just watched that “This Week” show this morning and was appalled at the comments of one of the panelists, a young woman reporter who seemed to be still under the delusion that giving unemployment benefits made things worse because it hindered the incentive to look for work(!) Fortunately, several others on George’s panel quickly squashed her point of view by pointing out that while that might be somewhat valid in mild recessions, it was certainly not the case in this one, since there really were no jobs to be found for most people, even with the greatest efforts to find them. She was only there to promote her new book anyway, seems to me.