H.R.6867 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008

To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (6)

• Official: To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as enacted.

PAGirl 08/03/2009 10:39am

Thank you so much DannyDog! I am so thankful we won’t be missing any weeks. I am just anxious to find out when we can file so I can have a rough idea as to when we will see a check. My mortgage company is willing to work with me but I need to give them some dates. Hopefully soon we can have a rough idea….

Thanks again!

Patriots 08/03/2009 12:58pm

I never got the chance to congratulate you on your work for PA…CONGRATS!

We need more people like you.

• Patriots 08/03/2009 1:04pm

Well…….I just got home from a brutal day of work. I am lucky to have a couple days again this week. It’s not enough to pay all the bills, but it is better than nothing.

While I was waiting for my men in the commuter parking lot I bought the local paper from the machine there just to see what jobs were in it. There was only one. In all of my life before this, there was always at least a couple pages of jobs. Things are getting really scary around here, and we are in a state that is “supposedly” doing better than most are.

• HopefromCA 08/03/2009 1:10pm

To: Everyone
    Does anyone know of a good HIPPA forum. I have been trying to find reasonable medical insurance for myself and no luck. I don’t qualify for individual health plan because I take prescriptions. Thanks

P.S. Sorry this is not about unemployment.

Patriots 08/03/2009 1:18pm

Sorry, I can’t help you with that one Hope.

• Patriots 08/03/2009 1:15pm

I will tell you what I know of what help besides unemployment benefits is available in Ct.

If you are a single mother, you can get welfare for a limited number of months, section 8 housing assistance and many other things. If you are a family with a man in the house, or single, all you can get are some food stamps, and that almost worthless SAGA medical insurance.

At one time there was a program called “General Assistance”. It would pay for a hotel room, give you a few bucks in your pocket (you had to work for it), food stamps, and medical insurance. In other words they would not let you end up homeless.

Bill Clinton, and welfare reform ended that.

Thanks a lot Bill.

• Patriots 08/03/2009 1:25pm

The price of U.S. recession is paid in jobs

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Long after President Barack Obama’s first term ends in 2013, millions of U.S. families will still be paying the price for the recession.

From auto workers in Detroit too old for retraining, to Hispanic migrants in Arizona with no homes to build, to new college graduates competing with experienced workers for scarce jobs, more and more people are facing long-lasting unemployment.

Since the recession began in December 2007, the jobless rate has climbed 4.6 percentage points to 9.5 percent, the biggest jump since the Great Depression. Worse, the mean duration of unemployment is now almost 6 months, the highest on record.

Although Obama frequently points out he inherited the recession from his predecessor, George W. Bush, the fallout will frame his legacy, presenting a quandary for a president elected on a slogan of “Yes We Can.”

Patriots 08/03/2009 1:27pm

Unless Obama figures out how to repair the job market, the can-do attitude sparked by his election may be replaced by despair, leaving deep economic and social scars that undermine his political goals.

GONE FOR GOOD

Joblessness typically rises during recessions as weak demand prompts companies to cut production and jobs. Normally those workers are rehired once the economy recovers.

For example, in the back-to-back recessions of the early 1980s, the jobless rate peaked at 10.8 percent. Thanks to a strong recovery, that receded to 8.3 percent one year after the downturn ended.

Patriots 08/03/2009 1:28pm

This pattern has changed in recent years and jobs lost in recessions are much slower to return, if they come back at all. In the 2001 slump, unemployment peaked 19 months after the recession ended, and it was another three years before the jobless rate came close to pre-recession levels.

In the current recession, economists say high unemployment is likely to persist at least another four years. In Michigan, home to the battered U.S. auto industry, nearly 13 percent of jobs may be wiped out, according to research firm IHS Global Insight, and the state’s labor market probably won’t return to its pre-recession strength until after 2015.

• Patriots 08/03/2009 1:38pm

I am going to be dead serious with this post.

If you do not have a place to live when the last of your money is gone you better start reading about survival NOW.

In Ct. we will “probably” get the extra 7 weeks next month, but any hope of additional help from Washington may be a long ways away, and state help is almost nothing for most. If you end up homeless here in most areas you better hide somewhere, or you will be arrested.

Anyone that has been around here for a while should realize by now how slow the wheels turn in Washington.

• Patriots 08/03/2009 1:51pm

I see the “bill views” keep rising now here. I think many of the old “lurkers” are coming back now unemployment is running out.

More and more will be looking for help and advice.

• Patriots 08/03/2009 2:05pm

From the Ct. site (that dispaceed2007 posted)

Welfare Reform

Jobs First –
    Connecticut’s Welfare Reform Program
    Introduction

On January 1, 1996 the state of Connecticut began a transformation of its welfare program from a system of dependency to one of personal responsibility and self-support. The Jobs First program revolves around the employment and potential employment of the client. The emphasis has been placed on encouraging able-bodied individuals to actively seek, obtain, and retain employment.

These reforms are designed to break the cycle of poverty and promote work and responsibility. The program is structured to provide strict consequences for failure to pursue employment but also considerable reward for finding and keeping a job.

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:06pm

Individuals who cannot get jobs on their own will receive services helping them to find a job. People unable to find work with that assistance may qualify for additional services, including further education and training.

Transformation to this new system has not only meant changes for the recipients but also for workers in the field offices. Eligibility processes have been simplified, and service delivery altered to free staff to focus on helping clients become less dependent on assistance.

Individuals are expected to take personal responsibility for their own economic futures. The underlying philosophy is that employment, whether full time or part time, high skilled or low, offers clients the dignity that no welfare check can.

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:08pm

Most of those programs are ancient history.

Most are basically on their own here now if you lose your job.

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:10pm

“Individuals are expected to take personal responsibility for their own economic futures.”

In other words NO HELP FROM US.

• DannyDog 08/03/2009 5:42pm

PENNSYLVANIA UPDATE ….

From attorney advocate Sharon Dietrich at 4:20PM: I have been told that the bill has passed the House unanimously. However, the Senate has not signed it today. So it is expected to go to the Governor’s desk tomorrow. Almost there.

My 10PM news showed Governor Rendell saying that he would sign HB 1770 on Tuesday. I think that the Pennsylvania unemployment rate must be certified by the Federal Dept. of Labor next. But we are getting there. Let’s hope that this is done quickly. The good news guys is that this will be retroactive to July 1st. So we will not have lost any past weeks.

• DannyDog 08/04/2009 1:09pm
    • PENNSYLVANIA BULLETIN *

I received this update from attorney advocate Sharon Dietrich at noon today.

Update: Bill should become law by the end of the day today. Governor plans a public signing.The Department tells me that they will start mailing new determinations and mail claims on Thursday.

DannyDog 08/04/2009 1:12pm

Repeat ….

UC will start mailing new determinations and mail claims on Thursday!!

• bninfl 08/04/2009 5:40pm

florida—- whats the latest ive been busy trying to consolidate bills, plan for future, look for job etc… too many pages to read thru and i dont like the new light look of this website… anyways whats the latest…. any new extensions? any stimulus checks for us? anything in florida new?????

FLarlene 08/04/2009 6:41pm

Bn, most of us have moved over to HR3404’s blog. This a pending bill….well, read it, and see you there.

• PAGirl 08/05/2009 3:30am

DannyDog and PA friends….

I just spoke with a UC rep. My forms were mailed out to me yesterday, August 5th. She said the first week that is available to be claimed is the week ending August 8th. She read me the rules and it said that anyone who ran out of EB benefits will not be paid for those weeks. She also said that I was mailed 5 weeks woth of claim forms so I will have them through September 5th. I still have the form that I was sent previously for the week ending the 8th so she said to go ahead and mail that one so I am not waiting on the mail. Have any of you heard anything different? I was under the impression we were not going to miss any weeks.

• DannyDog 08/05/2009 4:20am

I talked to UC. She said that the computers were down, so she could only answer general questions. The first payable week would be the week ending August 8. I didn’t really understand her explanation, but it is what it is. She said that I could use the form that I already have.

She said that the UC website could be updated with the new rules at any time. Keep checking.

• PAGirl 08/05/2009 4:28am

I called again and spoke to a rep who said this is the third time she has been through this (because she has been there so long). She said that they are waiting to hear if it will be retroactive. Her advice was to mail the weeks ending the 25th and 1at as soon as possible. Then mail my form for the 8th this Sunday. She said the first two weeks could be denied but if they find out it is retroactive they will just go in and release those two payments. She also said that their is a chance they will hear that it is retoactive before my claim even gets in the system. So now I don’t know what to do regarding those two weeks. One rep says it could mess me up and another says it won’t.

DannyDog 08/05/2009 4:46am

I don’t know what to do either. You could just claim the week ending August 8th and extend your benefits going forward and have those 7 weeks. I guess that would be safe, unless you need the money now for the possible retroactive weeks ending 7/25 and 8/1. I guess that if you start claiming again with August 8th, then you would be considered as re-opening your claim, but I guess that’s not a big deal? Wow, what confusion.

• DannyDog 08/05/2009 4:51am

How’s this for more confusion. Someone posted that a job search may not be required for retro weeks. If that’s true then maybe we could just file online for those retro weeks. If it’s not a matter of money from those two weeks, I think your safe in just filing for the week ending August 8th and going forward.

DannyDog 08/05/2009 4:53am

By the time that we get something in the mail, it may be too late to patch this all together. I guess try calling again later in the week and checking for updated info on the UC website.

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/05/2009 6:31am

I’m not in PA and may be wrong but I just looked at that bill 1770. It looks to me like it will not be retroactive because they did not use the backdate of 2/22/09 like most of the other states did when they added the TUR trigger. MA’s says “With respect to weeks beginning on or after February 22, 2009” near the beginning. I did not see that in your 1770 anywhere so that means it would take effect when signed into law.

• PAGirl 08/05/2009 9:11am

Sometimes I loathe taking with certain UC reps. I thought of another question that I wanted clarification on. I got a man who said they had no information about this new extension. I then had to explain to him that I had already spoken to people and knew that forms were mailed, etc. He told me I was wrong because my account balance was zero. He then put me on hold for quite some time and came back saying that he did see where my forms were mailed but knew nothing else. He told me not to mail any forms that I have. He ended the call with “that is the problem with all you claimants, you ask too many questions. Do what you want.”

• DannyDog 08/05/2009 10:44am

PAGirl,

I’m going to mail my claim for week ending Aug 8 on Monday at noon. I’m not going to claim 7/25 and 8/1. I don’t think that that is going anywhere. By then we should have a better idea of what’s going on. Hopefully by then the UC website will be updated and we might get something in the mail and this will be clear.

I think that the explanation on retro weeks could be that we will get benefits because the law will go back to include us (July 1st). But according to NoGoodOnesLeft, since there was no clause backdate to 2/22/2009, then the payments can only be made once the law is signed. Makes sense. Did someone screw up or was this intended to be that way? Only Harrisburg knows for sure.

• PAGirl 08/05/2009 11:17am

DannyDog,

I plan on doing the same thing. I guess I was just venting my frustration. These people work there and are supposed to be our resource for correct information. It is frustrating when we know more than they do and they treat you like you are stupid or wothless or annoying them. It’s their job. They should be happy to have that job and not be in the situation we are in. It would be nice if they all said or new the same information!
    Sorry for venting….