H.R.875 - Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009

To establish the Food Safety Administration within the Department of Health and Human Services to protect the public health by preventing food-borne illness, ensuring the safety of food, improving research on contaminants leading to food-borne illness, and improving security of food from intentional contamination, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: To establish the Food Safety Administration within the Department of Health and Human Services to protect the public health by preventing food-borne illness, ensuring the safety of food, improving research on contaminants leading to food-borne illness, and improving security of food from intentional contamination, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 as introduced.

jfreeman 03/06/2009 8:56am
+ 21

Requiring farmers’ markets to register and placing other undue regulatory burdens on local food economies? No thank you. This bill was no doubt written by lobbyists for the large food manufacturers in order to keep out small competition.

reaper527 03/10/2009 10:29am
+ 15
in reply to jfreeman Mar 06, 2009 8:56am

also, it allows for a “registration fee”, that is determined by the administrator. so aside from the additional paperwork required by farmers (which would raise the cost of food) this fee could easily be large enough to keep small operations out of economic feasibility.

you are absolutely right about this being a large manufacturer’s lobbyists putting forth a bill.

sanfords 03/07/2009 7:28am
+ 13

(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

This bill reaches down to your back yard – the federal government’s jurisdiction does not include your back yard – oppose this bill.

dk2000 03/08/2009 1:02pm
+ 13

jfreeman you are exactly right. The Bill’s sponser is Rosa Delauro of Connecticut. She is married to political strategist Stan Greenberg. One of his clients is the Monsanto Corporation.

woodlandbotanical 03/09/2009 10:15am
+ 11

I think it is very interesting that her husband works for Monsanto. Companies like Monsanto are invading our food and seed supplies. They have successfully obtained patents for GMO seeds and have cornered the market on seed sales. They have sued farmers for harvesting and using seeds from their own corn because it was accidentally cross-pollinated with their varieties. Do we want more regulation on what we can and cannot do with our food.

Mrs_B 03/09/2009 10:35am
+ 10

This session of Congress is scurrying like crazy to outlaw the very things people need the most in tough economies: second-hand childrens items, guns, and now locally-grown foods! This is a planned attack on Americans by international corporations, banksters, and elitists who dislike the dirty, family-loving, reproducing, gun-wielding hard-working underclass. Can’t you see them rubbing their hands together in glee as they bring us into the Great Depression II and finally gain control of the world. The time to resist is NOW.

gbrooks314 03/10/2009 7:40am

It should also be noted that Rosa DeLauro’s biggest contributions come from agribusiness PAC’s. She is also friends with Rahm Emanuel, which gives her a direct line to the White House. That, and the fact that this bill has 39 co-sponsors makes it much more likely to pass.

We can’t let that happen.

mythkat 03/10/2009 9:49am

Life, liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. I believe this bill violates all three. I know what goes into and what comes out of my food. My priority isn’t increasing my profit but increasing my quality of life. As my efforts would be classified as a “farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation” I would be required to register. The quality of my food is much higher than mass produced for profit food. Small flocks, herds, and farms are not the source of food born disease as they are not overcrowded, fed substandard feed, living in their own filth,and are grown in sustainable and caring environments without unnecessary chemical additives.I don’t need the government or corporations usurping my rights, freedoms, and responsibilities. The question is, why don’t you want people to be self sufficient, responsible individuals? Is it cutting into someone’s profits?

kermitp 03/09/2009 10:28am

The last thing we need is another government department that does not do its job. Just because the FDA and several other government department aren’t doing their job isn’t a good reason to create another one.

Let’s put pressure on the existing department to do the job right. Cutting their budges doesn’t help either. If we are cutting the current department that are suppose to do the job then how can we create a new one?

If we put a few of these guys like the Peanut plant in GA in jail maybe that would deter other from takig shortcuts and putting bad food on the market.

Let’s lock up the white collar crooks and get our country back to doing what is right without big government.

NonSheeple 03/09/2009 1:18pm

This basically allows the government to investigate, search, and patrol your property without s search warrant!! If you resist you get arrested! This will, along with NAIS and a few other recent fascist bills, destroy small farmers and many many livelihoods. Big agriculture(Monsanto) is behind it – it has nothing to do with food safety. This is the material that REVOLUTIONS are made of!!! Unfortunately many innocent people will be killed if this is passed.

kateoct 03/09/2009 3:17pm

In recent memory, the USDA hasn’t done a good job of protecting people from food safety issues mainly because they tend to happen in large, agribusiness-owned, warehouses where the inspectors are paid by the business being inspected. How are we supposed to believe that this bill is anything less than a sham to give agribusiness MORE control over what we eat? And what about those of us that “opt-out” of corporate food by growing our own or developing relationships with small local farmers? It seems this bill is too far-reaching and bad for Americans. Just at a time when we need more people and small farms in the food business…

ccdesign 04/03/2009 5:15am
in reply to jfreeman Mar 06, 2009 8:56am

You know….a conspiracy theorist would see this as an attempt for government to control your food supply. What a better way to get the people to bow to the will of tyranny by limiting food to them…ay?

DJSforUSA 03/24/2009 1:48pm

Talk about TOTAL CONTROL over the food supply of ALL American citizens!

It gives the government the right to DETAIN and SEIZE any food they decide they want to (hm’m are you by chance growing a garden – too bad, they don’t want you to have that either), all they have to do is say it violates something in this enormous bill and they can take it.

“It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government”. – Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny”. – Thomas Jefferson

jamiehillegonds 03/27/2009 4:00am

I hold my family’s ability to choose, buy, and/or grow our food seriously. While food safety is one of my primary concerns, I am not foolish enough to believe that any large-scale national and international food system (such as the United States’ food system) can ever completely ensure my food’s safety. That is why I chose locally grown, organically grown and home grown foods for my family whenever possible. I know my farmers. I visit their farms. I take responsibility for my own food system.

I don’t want or need Monsanto, Carhill, or any of the other mega-food or pesticide producers to direct my nation’s food legislation. If farmers are interested in pesticide sprays, genetically modified seeds, one-size-fits-all produce, they are free to buy them, use them, and even advertise their use as a “valued added” part of their advertising. But they should not be allowed to dictate what I can and cannot put in my produce bag.

o_zarkman44 03/12/2009 8:50am

This bill is the most draconian, anti property rights, free market control measure I have ever seen. Home gardens, farmers markets and family farms will be subjected to USDA intrusions and assumed expense of requiring inspectors on the property any time food items are handled. This measure is nothing but control on free enterprise and competition, benefits large corporations like Monsanto, Tyson, and Cargill. A key sponsor’s husband just happens to work for Monsanto. How convenient!

This is about corporate government contol of food for the benefit of controlling people rather than safety. American food production is the safest in the world.

We don’t need corporate government “partnerships” taking away our choices to fit their need to control free thinking, self sufficient Americans. Bug off!!
LizaGee 04/05/2009 5:39am
in reply to ccdesign Apr 03, 2009 5:15am

Conspiracy theorist or not this is absolutely the most inane thing I’ve heard. Get this out to EVERYONE you know to write their congreessmen and senators. That’s why we elect them right? Aren’t they supposed to work FOR US?

jodamur 06/20/2009 2:13pm

Barney Frank Chairmen of the House Finance committee can support MONSANTO’S
Food modernization Bill HR 875 to destroy ORGANIC FARMERS. but can’t Cosponsor HR-1207 to AUDIT THE FED that sits in his committee with 237 cosponsors. These Representatives that support HR-875 and do not support HR-1207 are representing big MONEY and not the PEOPLE of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA. TIME FOR A CHANGE FOR SURE before it is to LATE. I say if they do something against the CONSTITUTION of these UNITED STATES it is TREASON and they need to be removed from Office. I will take my chances with organic Growers over MONSANTO any day. VOTE THESE REPRESENTATIVES OUT OF OFFICE IF YOU ARE FOR THE PEOPLE.

mefford509 03/27/2009 12:35pm

How can we add an amemdment or wording to protect “my backgard Garden”? We do not PRODUCE food for others, but we freeze and can many vegetables. How could we be protected as I feel that these regulations as they stand could easily be misconstrued to include my private garden. LETS SPEAK OUT TO PROTECT OUR BACKYARD GARDENS!!!!

rhino235 03/20/2009 4:48am

This is government corruption in plain sight. DeLauro’s husband, Stanley Greenburg, works for Monsanto. Do you think there might be a conflict of interest here? She should be impeached and thrown in jail.

LibertyRevolution 03/18/2009 5:10pm

These Corporate Sponsored Fascist / Socialist / Communist “Reps” in DC want to control EVERY aspect of our lives

Push eventually comes to shove….. and they keep pushing from all sides

kmpetro 03/19/2009 5:13am

This Bill is just another way of taking away another freedom and keeping Americans under the control of the biotechnological corporations. Monsanto has been demanding their way for far too long and winning. They need to be stopped.

DianaAmerican 04/13/2009 9:37pm
in reply to boonjug Mar 26, 2009 9:16am

“And Other Purposes”, basically can be whatever they deem necessary. These are words that Shoud Not Be In Any Bill Passed by our Senate or House of representatives. It gives them the power to do anything.

reaper527 03/11/2009 7:48am
in reply to jp215 Mar 10, 2009 11:15pm

it was probably his idea. he doesn’t bring real change, just big government

Mrs_B 03/28/2009 6:58am
in reply to Elliot Mar 24, 2009 8:35am

The government has no business determining what its citizens can or cannot grow, buy, sell, ingest, smoke, read, etc. Unless we in America start taking back responsibility for our lives we will continue down the totalitarian path to slavery. We’re nearly there.

It is not the government’s job to ‘keep us safe’. It’s ours, 100%. The biggest threat to our food supply and our health is the federal government & agencies filled with corporate executives who make regulations benefitting their bank accounts. It used to be called conflict of interest but now it’s standard practice. Multiply this by every branch of government including the judicial (owned by the Chamber of Commerce and Big Business) and you have Fascist State Phase One completed.

Temlakos 03/27/2009 5:18pm
in reply to Elliot Mar 24, 2009 8:35am

Elliot, I don’t know how you define “a decent amount of the bill.” I put it to you that you absolutely, positively cannot have read all of it. I have read the definitions, and I remind you that what any bill does not *ex*clude *ex*plicitly, it *in*cludes *im*plicitly.

You asked whether Whole Foods Market has had anything to say about this bill. Well, I don’t know. But if you go over to Whole Foods Market’s own site, you’ll see a list of policies and practices that they engage in, in an effort to be good neighbors and promote the cause of organic farming, local growing, and “sustainable agriculture,” which is pretty much the sort of agriculture that George Washington practiced at Mount Vernon. (I ought to know: I’ve been there.)

And I will tell you positively that HR 875 would threaten every one of Whole Foods’ policies. And I told them so. I’m sure they’ll realize it, and then you’ll hear from them, loud and clear.

tracygoes 03/28/2009 11:19am

HR875 is not about “protecting” people’s health. Its about control and greed. My family pays extra at the market to avoid the unhealthy effects of chemicals on our food. This proposal is ridiculous and very intrusive on the freedoms and rights of all of us.

PLEASE, DO NOT PASS THIS BILL!

cadaverousmob 03/10/2009 10:44am

This is indubitably and unequivocally the obvious work of Monsanto, ADM, Tyson, FDA, USDA, etc. in order to have complete, despotic control over our food. It’s not enough that virtually everything is GMO and filled with toxic, noxious additives, preservatives, pesticides—including insecticides, fungicides, herbicides—but now they want to take away local, family farms—including the one in your own backyard! No to this pork-filled bill!

Please let me know when it’s time for the revolution to start so that I can have my gun ready for these insidious a-holes!

zzman 03/27/2009 7:54pm

STOP CONGRESS!
We have a right to buy organic foods!! You can thank Obama for this messy bill because if he really cared he would stop it but he’s probably friends with the congresswoman. Mosanto probably donated a bunch of money to his campaign just like AIG did. Obama and Dodd received the largest donations from AIG and never returned their money after they demanded that the bonuses get paid back from AIG executives(what hypocrites) THE PEOPLE CAN’T LET THE GOVERNMENT GET AWAY WITH THIS. The new administration is slowly chipping away our rights and freedoms.

DianaAmerican 04/13/2009 9:21pm

If the federal Government can have total control of our food, they will have control us. This bill NEEDS A “NO” Vote.

“If we were directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we would soon want for bread.” – Thomas Jefferson

They already pay farmers Not To grow Crops, and they have put mandates in place for ethanol using scare tactics about oil shortages to change all crops in US to corn. This bill is just another Huge step in controlling our food supply.

We should be drilling here for oil, creating jobs for American Citizens. And growing crops of food on America’s Farms, not mandating them for corn to produce ethanol, which by the way takes more fuel to produce than it saves. If we grew our own food, we have to import much less and would have to export.

Elliot 03/24/2009 8:35am

I have read all the comments here, and read a decent amount of the bill. I wonder, when, as Americans, do we stop believing what other folks say we should believe, and take advantage of our amazing abilities to find out for ourselves? Judging by the muck raking and knee-jerk comments posted here, never may be the sad answer. This bill, it seems to me, proposes to help the FDA, an agency who’s powers are not that all encompassing when it comes to food product safety, by establishing an agency who’s sole purpose is to ensure the safety of our food. I have not seen ANY language threatening personal grower’s rights, seeds, land, or any such other than to more rigorously enforce the laws already on the books and to establish additional teaching, testing, and more scientific methods of ensuring that the food we eat won’t kill us.