S.1147 - PACT Act

A bill to prevent tobacco smuggling, to ensure the collection of all tobacco taxes, and for other purposes. view all titles (11)

• Official: A bill to prevent tobacco smuggling, to ensure the collection of all tobacco taxes, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: PACT Act as introduced.
  • Short: Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: PACT Act as reported to senate.
  • Short: Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 as reported to senate.
  • Short: PACT Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: PACT Act as passed house.
  • Short: Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: PACT Act as enacted.
  • Short: Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 as enacted.

• kerrie 06/21/2009 6:07am

i could give a thousand reasons why this bill should not be passed into law ~ over a thousand people in my small city work at a native owned mail order smoke shop, including me. other than smoke shops, there aren’t many job opppurtunities here. we will lose our jobs, health insurance, etc. additionally, there will be unspoken job losses ~ postal workers, truck drivers, etc. instead of contributing to our already weakened economy, we will become a burden. the cost of unemployment benefits cannot be justified in any way. mostly, this bill is just a back door for the states to hinder native american free trade agreements. the states think they will collect millions of dollars in tobacco taxes. they will tell you it’s an effort to stop us from smoking. they will tell you many things, but what they won’t tell you is the truth. this bill will cost billions of dollars to enforce. it’s time our representatives represented us… tell them to vote NO!

Whackamole 06/26/2009 4:57pm

I am so glad to see there is someone else here who understands the fullness of this legislation and what it will mean to so very many. I live in Fl and can no longer buy cigarettes from the Indians in order to save $$, we can no longer buy them online from abroad. There goes my Canadian cheapo’s – next step – I will buy my own plants and grown my own tobacco! Ohhhhhhh wait, there is a bill in congress to make it illegal to grow your own food! This is only the beginning of a total government takeover and control of every aspect of our lives.

• kerrie 06/21/2009 6:11am

PS… i called my NY state senators. they acted like they had no idea what i was talking about. funny… according to this website, they are co-sponsors of this particular bill. :(

• ghinfla 06/22/2009 1:05pm

I’m getting real tired of congress telling me what I can and cannot buy and how. I bought tooth brush heads from Hong Kong at 1/3 of the local cost. Will this be disallowed and where does it stop?

Incydius 07/27/2009 8:51am

It will never stop…until everyone comes together and forces them to stop, or removes them all from office. They have no interest is listening to anyone except their contributors, special interests and any other buddies that will have more effect on helping them keep their office more than anything else, and/or keep them well funded even after their departure.

After some 240 years, it’s overdue time to start over once again.

songspiritUSA 10/30/2009 12:42pm

No need to start over. We just need to get rid of the exploiters and the corrupt that the Founders sought to limit. Trouble is, true Americans that love their country have been marginalized. I’ve always said that picking on smokers was a real miscalculation. At least we talk to each other. If we’re constantly complaining about our exploitive government, with no loopy lefties or sell-outs around, think of all the networking we can do.

And wait until the marijuana smokers realize that all this taxing will be done to them, one day, too. Hopefully it won’t be too late.

songspiritUSA 10/30/2009 12:44pm

That’s part of the plan, which is to drain America of our own money through “redistribution” to all those whom “arrogant” America has allegedly exploited. When America is gone, as well as the Free World, then those people will have to start over from scratch – when it’s too late. Just like our elected “alleged” representatives, who are partying now – before the crash. They need to know what Weimar was about and what happened there. Those who do not remember their history are condemned to repeat it. (Santayana)

• LibertarianLady 09/02/2009 10:01pm

I strongly dislike smoking, but this bill ought to be put through the paper shredder. Congress should not be telling me what I can and can’t put into my body by making things more expensive via the taxes it will take to fund this.

As a voting Wisconsinite I would like to apologize to the rest of the country. I didn’t vote for him, but apparently the majority of the people in my state are okay with draconian regulations like this.

songspiritUSA 10/30/2009 12:39pm

As a Wisconsin resident for 10 years, I absolve you, LibertarianLady. Wisconsin – particularly Milwaukee and Madison – have been overrun by FIBs (that’s Friendly Illinois Brethren to you outlanders; you can probably figure out the truer acronym yourselves), and the country is getting a dose of Chicago politics.

Real Wisconsinites stood up for butter over margarine, a more divisive topic than alcohol during prohibition. Real Wisconsinites are like that poor guy who has been told he can’t re-erect the creche that his family has been doing for 63 years, despite complete public support (except the coward who complained to the American Criminal Liberties Union). Real Wisconsinites have more sense, liberal or not. Go Badgers!

• songspiritUSA 10/30/2009 12:31pm

I completely agree with all of the above. Sent this to my senators:
    I just learned about S. 1147, the continuing attempt to over-regulate legal tobacco products – and increase taxes on the people.
    I was a non-smoker for many years, until age 37. I was against anti-smoking legislation then, as I felt that decent ventilation took care of most real issues. Further, I was suspicious of government attempts to put into law things that adults had trouble negotiating themselves.
    This is more of demonizing and dividing the American citizenry, and all about the unlawful taxation of a group because it’s currently popular amongst a majority to do so. This is the same justification which was used to enforce slavery.
    I will not only not support, and I will work to defeat, any alleged representative that infringes upon the people’s liberties. Smoking taxes, discrimination concerning one lawful product, is simply another in the attempt to increase government abuse of the people.

• songspiritUSA 10/30/2009 12:33pm

Also not the bill title “cigarette trafficking”. I am SICK of manipulation.

Howzabout “more government fascism, using cigarettes/tobacco to divide the kool-aid drinkers we exploit”.

Interesting how the name helps a lot, isn’t it? At least I’m ready to defend my views without cowardly manipulation.

• eaglesong 11/04/2009 2:28pm

This is another way of Government to take our freedom away and all the manipulation of the States & Government. Yes, i am a cigarette smoker, but at least i smoke Native Cigarettes that do not have the 200+ harmful ingredients.
    I am also a homebound person, and the only way i am able to obtain cigarettes is thu the mail.
    I have contacted the Senators in my State and have let them know i do not support this and reuqest that they do not let this control bill pass.
    I am also very disappointed that they with this bill make it nearly impossible tio the Native Tries to sell the tobacco. I am one of the many who buy my cigarettes from the internet, guess they are trying to get this nonsense passed so we poor folks can’t even buy any cigarettes. And add to that I am a Native American and tobacco is used in ceremonies, etc. Just another way to control EVERYONE!!!

• FallenMorgan 11/08/2009 10:08am

What a stupid bill.

• MikkelHanke 11/18/2009 1:38pm

There is not really much that you can say about this bill. My father is serving overseas on his 2nd tour, and if the bill is passed through congress> Senate> & signed, than we will not beable to send chewing tobacco and/or cigarettes to our soldiers overseas. I find that a little rude on the governments part, “Sure you go right ahead and risk your life for us, but… NO SMOKING or CHEWING.” I as many others im sure find this a little offensive to militants. I will take your rediculous tax hikes, but I will not stand for this type of selfish insecurity. And I hope congress and the senate feel the same ( Highly unlikely ) and oppose.

• tarheelaces2009 11/23/2009 7:47pm

There is a great Petition started. I hope these politicians will read it and all the comments by the people that have signed it.

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION TO HELP UD STOP THE PACT ACT!!!!!

LINK: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/us-citzens-against-the-pact-act-of-2009-s1147
    Please click the link to read and sign the petition.

Thank you!

• tarheelaces2009 11/23/2009 7:48pm

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION TO HELP UD STOP THE PACT ACT!!!!!

Please click the link to read and sign the petition.

Thank you!

• smokestory 11/28/2009 4:32pm

Please. Enough. Just stop. The government is in my food, my car company, my bank, my retirement plan, my child’s education; it’s in the air I breath, the earth I touch and the miles of concrete I see each day. It aches to touch how I am born and how I will die. Please, just stop.

But they won’t. They’ll never stop. They won’t stop until we stop them. Power is a drug far stronger and more dangerous than any nicotine.

What happened to us?

• MercilessPit 11/30/2009 5:36pm

Leave it to the Democrats to try to levy more restrictions on my (our) freedoms. They wont be happy until we have no freedom at all. It’s amazing that they haven’t learned a thing from prohibition. Not to mention, Lincoln mentioned what happens when you make leisures illegal, it makes law abiding citizens into criminals. That’s the Democrat mantra, make it illegal, then the people will have no choice. Buy health insurance or we’ll lock you up, Send tobacco to you buddy, father, son, brother in the military, go to jail.

• bluerosehd 12/13/2009 12:01pm

We can buy Food, Clothing, Toys, Pet Supplies, etc on line and now the government wants to make it illegal to buy legal cigarettes on line. Most of them smoke cigars and that will be okay for them to buy on line and via U.S.P.S.. Welcome to COMMUNIST AMERICA! CIGARS ARE TOBACCO TOO!. Keep America Free…Give us our choices back! No Wonder I want to be DEAD! The Government keeps taking all of my choices away…You are only guaranteed 3 things in Life, 1: You will be Born 2: You will Pay Taxes and 3: You will Die!…Notice that there is nothing in there about Life Liberty or the Pursuit of Happiness!…The government took that away toooooo!

• MJNOFMN 12/16/2009 1:08pm

Tell your Honorable Senators by telephone or email that you support the mailing of tobacco like this:

I support tobacco retailers that use the mail to buy their tobacco products and adult tobacco customers at home. Please don’t pass the, “Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 (S.1147)” I support tobacco companies that pay heavy taxes to State and Federal governments. I support tax paying tobacco companies that are foreign. I support Native American, European, Indonesian, and other tobacco companies around the World that want to mail tobacco to customers. Please support rural and disabled tobacco customers that want tobacco by mail because they can’t get tobacco at a local store?

The PDF to help contact your Honorable Senator was found at,

• BenjaWiz 12/24/2009 4:27pm

This bill is a waste of tax payer dollars vote it down.

• stillsmokin 12/28/2009 8:30pm

Tobacco is tobacco, is tobacco, is tobacco! Cigs are evil but cigars are okay? Give me a break! I guarantee you if cigars were included in this ridiculous bill the Congressional vote would not be so one sided. I could be wrong but I do think that if this bill passes a black market monster will be created. Enough already! I’m sick to death of being descriminated against, in so many ways other than this nonsense! Lunacy!

BenjaWiz 03/27/2010 1:06am

Stillsmokin,
    This bill is laughable because people will find a way around the system people always do that’s just the way it is haha more waste of tax payer dollars and not to mention it will take a big chunk of cash out of the USPS oh but that’s right we won’t no longer have mail delivered to the house cause they won’t be earning enough revenue I guess it’s off on the bike to pick up the mail. Lunacy! I completely agree lol.

• JBLeve 02/22/2010 10:32am

This is what my senator replied, when I wrote him expressing opposition to the bill:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 1147, the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking (PACT) Act, of which I am a cosponsor, and its companion bill in the House of Representatives, H.R. 1676. I appreciate hearing from all Pennsylvanians about the issues that matter most to them.

The PACT Act, introduced on May 21, 2009, would help eliminate illegal tobacco distribution through the mail, which results in lost government revenues, allows minors to illegally purchase tobacco and could allow terrorist groups to illegally profit from these transactions. It would treat cigarettes and smokeless tobacco as nonmailable items and require better record-keeping by tobacco distributors. On November 19, 2009, the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am not a member, approved S. 1147 by a voice vote. Should this legislation come before the full Senate for consideration,

• JBLeve 02/22/2010 10:32am
    I will have your views in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

If you have access to the Internet, I encourage you to visit my web site, http://casey.senate.gov. I invite you to use this online office as a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
    Bob Casey
    United States Senator

• BenjaWiz 04/02/2010 10:14am

This bill is illegal and shame on this communist government we now have Obama is the same as the old boss and worse hope and change sure what bs.

• jedhurt 04/12/2010 7:32pm

I noticed that the bill makes an exemption for shipments within Alaska. Does this only include shipments originating and arriving in Alaska, or does it allow shipping from, say, Indonesia to Alaska?

• smokestory 05/01/2010 5:56pm

One way out – and I’m checking still – is that international postal law is not bound by the US law. So, international companies may originating shipments outside the US may be able to carry on as usual.

• Kinoko 11/09/2010 7:56pm

I sure am quite late finding out about this. Seriously though, why can our government not understand that almost all smokers will NOT give up smoking because it is really expensive. They’re just taking the money we need to feed ourselves and putting it in their pockets. I actually read an article recently that the decline in the number of smokers has dropped significantly. Most of the people who were willing to give up smoking because of the cost have done so already. Actually I think they know all this damn well, and they are just taking advantage of smokers’ addiction.

And smokestory, I think you’re right, more or less. I think once the package made it to the US it would technically be illegal to ship it any further (like to the customer), but if they ship it to the US in a plain box then there shouldn’t be anything that can be done about it. Even if they got caught doing it I doubt the US could do much about it.

Send Your Senator a Letter