S.1534 - Identify Theft and Tax Fraud Prevention Act
A bill to prevent identity theft and tax fraud. view all titles (2)
All Bill Titles
- Official: A bill to prevent identity theft and tax fraud. as introduced.
- Short: Identify Theft and Tax Fraud Prevention Act as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 1
- Past Seven Days: 2
- All-Time: 2,874
Official SummaryIdentify [sic] Theft and Tax Fraud Prevention Act - Amends the Internal Revenue Code to: (1) impose a fine and/or prison term on any person who knowingly or willfully misappropriates another person's tax identification number in connection with any list, return, account, statement, or
Official SummaryIdentify [sic] Theft and Tax Fraud Prevention Act - Amends the Internal Revenue Code to:
(1) impose a fine and/or prison term on any person who knowingly or willfully misappropriates another person's tax identification number in connection with any list, return, account, statement, or other document submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS);
(2) increase the civil and criminal penalties for improper disclosure or use of taxpayer information by tax return preparers;
(3) require the Commissioner of Internal Revenue to submit to the Senate Committee on Finance and the House Committee on Ways and Means an annual report on the number of reported cases of tax fraud and suspected tax fraud and the actions taken in response to such reports; and
(4) require the head of the Federal Bureau of Prisons to submit to Congress a detailed plan on how it will use tax information provided by the IRS to reduce prison tax fraud. Directs the Secretary of the Treasury to:
(1) implement an identity theft tax fraud prevention program; and
(2) review whether current federal tax law prevents the effective enforcement of local, state, and federal identity theft statutes. Authorizes the Commissioner to transfer appropriated funds to be used solely to prevent and resolve potential tax fraud cases. Directs the Commissioner to establish in the Criminal Investigation Division of the IRS the position of Local Law Enforcement Liaison to coordinate the investigation of tax fraud with state and local law enforcement agencies and communicate the status of tax fraud cases involving identity theft. Directs the Comptroller General to study and report on the role of prepaid debit cards and commercial tax preparation software in facilitating fraudulent tax returns through identity theft. Prohibits the Secretary of Commerce from disclosing information contained on the Death Master File relating to a deceased individual to persons who are not certified to access such information.
...Read the Rest