S.1699 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• NoGoodOnesLeft 09/24/2009 3:14pm

All I can say is they better pass this bill before 10/9 when they go on break for the rest of the year!

nancym 09/24/2009 8:42pm

Hi NGOL—just found this new thread. (I don’t have the strength to catch up all 10-20 pages or whatever it is on 3548 at the moment!) The Senate doesn’t go on break for the rest of the year on 10/9; they have breaks but the session doesn’t end til around late November-early December. Remember last year’s bill?
    Or were you just exaggerating for effect? :)

ronaand 09/25/2009 3:27am

nancy – wasn’t last year a special session
    the schedules i’ve pulled up indicate adjournment oct.30/first week of november
    p.s. you can skip the 20 pages on 3548

GonzoFL 09/25/2009 5:20am

Yes Nancy….save yourself some grief and skip at least the last 20 pages of 3548…a kaleidoscope of mis-information,broken links,not smarter than a 5th grader grammar,same questions over and over,screaming,hollering,trolls,doom and gloom,sarcasm(some from me..sorry…it’s in my contract) and general bickering…Hey! Sounds almost like Fox News!!

nancym 09/25/2009 6:42am

Wow! Guess I missed the post bill passage party, what a shame! lol!

need2knowinOHIO 09/25/2009 2:50pm

Hahahahahahahaha!

nancym 09/25/2009 7:07am

Good point, guess I have to check further on their exact schedule, but I was mainly responding to NGOL’s date posted, 10/9, and I know they’re not done then. I see now he got that, it was a “target date” at the beginning of the year, but not now.

The most updated schedule I could find so far (surprisingly hard to find!) sets the adjournment for the House at Oct 30 and the Senate about that time but listed as “TBD.” They’re working longer on not only the health care bill but other bills so their schedule is behind a bit, as just reported on CSPAN.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 3:50am

Hey, Nancy. Yeah, you don’t want to go through the last pages over on 3548 – a bunch of garbage. But maybe you can help me out here, I have been saying that this bill differs from 3548 only in a paragraph about Compliance (which I don’t understand BTW). Some other peole seem to think that it extends the current extension deadlines, etc. Maybe you can tell me if I am right or not. And if you feel like doing any drudge work, maybe you can explain what the Compliance paragraph is about. Thanks!

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 3:53am

Oh, and about them being off for the rest of the year – their calendar currently has them not in session after 10/9. That is why I said that.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 4:17am

I just looked at 3548 again it actually does have that Compliance paragraph, too, so they are the same, right?

nancym 09/25/2009 7:15am

I looked at this new bill last night and though I didn’t examine every single word, this appears to be an exact duplicate of HR 3548, with only some formatting changes for entry into the Senate.

The compliance paragraph from what I can see allows the states to continue an individual’s payment of their EB account if they’ve already started past one week, before payment of EUC. Since EB was designed be available only after all EUC in an individual’s account is exhausted, there could be confusion if the states had to switch everybody on EB over to this new EUC, so these bills say it’s ok to continue EB first in those cases.

This is a big concern to many on EB still, since if they switched to the new 13 weeks of EUC right now, the EB program would expire most likely before they could take advantage of it, unless of course Congress gets snappy and extends those programs very soon.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 7:33am

Thanks Nancy. My EB is about done so it doesn’t really apply to me but MA added a law that allows the Governor to pay any available EUC before EB so does that Compliance thing override that? Just wondering and might help any other MA people who have finished EB yet to know.

SECTION 18. Notwithstanding the provisions of any general or special law to the contrary, and for weeks of unemployment beginning on or after March 15, 2009, the Governor or his designee may elect to pay unemployment compensation to otherwise eligible individuals pursuant to the emergency unemployment compensation provisions of the Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2008, Pub. L. 110‐252, as amended by the Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008, Pub. L. 110‐449, and any further extensions or amendments thereto, prior to the payment of extended benefits under section 30A of chapter 151A of the General Laws.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 7:34am

I meant HAVEN’T finished EB yet.

nancym 09/25/2009 7:53am

I guess it “overrides” it in a sense that it allows EB to be paid first (if already started). The usual debate is that EUC was 100% fed funded, so the states wanted to use that before using state funds. Then EB became 100% fed funded, but only thru 2009, unless they extend the program. So the only reason I could see for states wanting to pay EUC first is that they wouldn’t have to do all the extra work search paperwork. But that would seem lame, since they’d also be turning down extra dollars for their economy for little extra benefit.

nancym 09/25/2009 7:53am

I think the key points are that these new fed laws ALLOW EB to continue without the requirement to pay EUC first, and your state law says “the Governor or his designee may elect to pay” —i.e., the state can do whatever is to their advantage. I just can’t imagine why they wouldn’t avoid chaos and let EB recipients just use up their free fed dollars before accepting the new EUC, which is also free.

This is an opinion, I can’t guarantee I’m not missing something here, and I’m certainly not an expert on every state’s peculiarities.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 7:59am

Well, since the local government has to pay the full amount of EB to laid-off local government employees, I think that is why they made that provision. MA hasn’t really laid off that many (either state or muncipality) and that is how the local law advocate agencies got them to add the TUR trigger – by pointing out that the taxes from the private company laid off people’s benefits would cover the amount of the laid off local government employee’s EB.

Momoftwo 10/27/2009 2:48pm

Hi, I live in MA too and just wondering what you guys were discussing here. Sorry, trying to follow but a bit confused. I exhausted my EB on 10/4/09, so is there some issue I should be aware of?

Momoftwo 10/27/2009 2:57pm

Never mind, didn’t check my dates, was reading an older post, no longer confused!

akmorgan7 10/26/2009 5:41pm

nancym,
    Thanks for all the information on HR 3548. It has helped me understand what is happening in Congress. I gather in the current bill, payments are not retroactive, but when will they begin? The week the bill is passed?
    From the posts by various people, it is clear that the best time for payments to start is not the same for everyone. So what solution would please everyone? EUC choice, the freedom to choose what week our own payments will start?

nancym 10/26/2009 6:04pm

In the current wording of the bill, payments can be made from the date of passage of the bill. So it will vary greatly with each state when they actually get their computer systems in gear for payments on this Tier. But claims based on that first week following the bill’s passage should be the start date for claims, when the checks arrive depends on how efficient your state is.

Doingtherightthing 04/11/2010 4:54am
    That is exactly what happened to me, I was on EB then they add tier 4 and got moved to tier 4 . Then Indiana said they could not put us back on EB unless congress passed something ,well they did and I was able to finish my EB. This stuff is so messed up. It’s like they change and add laws then there always throwing those time limits or percentage rates high to qualify like 8.5% wow that number is ridicules in the first place, anything past 5% and it’s hard to get a job .
    NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 3:58am

BTW, saw that thing that Alevino did with your comments. It got picked up by some other sites, too. Good work! One step closer to that OpenCongress job, huh? LOL.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/25/2009 6:46am

Ooops, sorry Mr. Maestas. My dyslexia kicked in there. Should have been Avelino.

FLarlene 09/25/2009 4:29am

Hi there. I see we have moved. I saw you on Huffington Post, Nancy. Wow. Your notes on the HR bill up in lights.

To all, I am hurting too. There will be a bill passed. I have shed a lot of tears this week because, although I have gotten my bills paid, my daughter has done so. She feels obligated. But it has but a horiffic strain on my relationship with her. My heart is broken because of that. The bills will pass. They will. It is not all about health care, for God’s sake. THE BILLS WILL PASS.

Serendipity 10/09/2009 7:24am

It will pass FLarlene. Sorry you have been under so much stress. Better days are ahead. Please keep the faith!

I haven’t checked HuffPo this morning. I can hardly wait to read Nancy’s post.!!!

Serendipity 10/09/2009 7:26am

Soory, didn’t realize I was responding to an older post. Didn’t switch back to the newest posts.

NYER566 10/26/2009 1:41pm

Hey get off my avitar!

woznyclan 10/26/2009 1:43pm

He actually had it before you were here .

aaron12 09/28/2009 7:05am

The California EDD is at least aware of the legislation:

sheaffer67 10/02/2009 4:52am

Must be nice to have a job that you can take so much time off from. Weren’t they just off a month not so very long ago??

Send Your Senator a Letter