S.1699 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• Kickthebumsout 07/20/2010 7:16am

aint they votin on an extension today???/

• jelee 07/20/2010 7:17am

I thought I might post this here on OC, what was posted on the Ohio’s UI homepage this morning, I found it rather amusing,
    particularity the "Ohiomeansjobs’ and the suggestion of a local library.
    there is a "Find Jobs’ button on their homepage, that when you go to it, it shows job openings, But if you scroll to the bottom of the page you see in the botton right corner "Jobs by indeed’ well this is indeed.com a job search engine like careerbuilder, Monster, jobs.com etc. So I could go to this site without going through the UI office, as a matter of fact, years ago the Ui office had their own job site you could use. "What happen to that ?

then their suggestion of the local library, all I could do was giggle at that ! is this the best my State goverment can do in advising me how to obtain employment? Our these the same folks who scrutinized how I was to look
    for a job when the EB was being collected and there was a criteria you had to meet !

jelee 07/20/2010 7:18am

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services is pleased to announce a new Web site for the state’s unemployed workers: www.ohioheretohelp.com. Ohio Here to Help is unique in that it can quickly connect visitors to a wide range of information and resources – from both public and private entities – that can help them search for a job, find education and training opportunities, and learn about other supports that can help them get through this difficult time.

jelee 07/20/2010 7:19am

Ohio Here to Help provides direct links to job openings via Ohio Means Jobs, as well as to training and education resources via the State of Ohio Library. It also provides information on such topics as money, food assistance, health care, housing, transportation, child care, veterans’ services, legal services, clothing assistance, youth employment and much more.

Visit Ohio Here to Help at www.ohioheretohelp.com to find out about the many services and resources available to unemployed workers and their families in Ohio

jelee 07/20/2010 7:28am

I just figured Ohioheretohelp. could help me by finding a way to give me a few more weeks of Benefits of the last 37 years that my employers payed into it on my behalf. this would definitley support me in getting through
    this difficult time. :}

• nancym 07/20/2010 7:35am

And I forgot to add, I was surprised and delighted, finally to see that NBC News did a segment specifally on the 99ers last night! It was short, but very clear about the distinction of those getting new benefits with this new bill and the fact that the 99ers would get nothing. It showed a working mother, or rather a want-to-be working mother who sincerely said she WANTS to work, but there is nothing out there.

Also, Obama getting those three unemployed beside him for a news conference helped, but he should have done that months ago, before they already had the 60 votes! :)

Robbi314 07/20/2010 7:49am

Hi Nancy, hope you are well. In answer to your question, the email I received was from Overthrow and the comment as well. While I feel that we do need more than one site to vent and exchange information on, and that site became popular quite quickly,I do find it offensive that they are selling T-shirts and bumber stickers on there for profit under the guise of not for profit. At least that’s what I believe .org websites are for. Maybe I’m way off on this bu it just kinda reeks.

nancym 07/20/2010 8:45am

Hi, I take your point. I guess I’m more used to political sites that use CafePress to set up one more way to raise money for campaigns. It’s pretty common among both political and non-profits. The bumper sticker is just another way to do it, and CafePress is open to individuals as well as orgs, as far as I know.

I don’t regard that site as an official org just because it has a .org domain name, at least if and until they get either a non-profit or an official political org status. As far as I can tell, and I’m just surmising here, they (or OverThrow) may just be “squatting” on that server, as I posted just a little earlier here. I have the same situation with a friend who lets me use his large server space without any additional monthly fees, and if I want to put up a domain it’s usually pretty cheap.

nancym 07/20/2010 8:45am

2) The time needed just to update and maintain a site like that can be quite considerable, so whatever little funds he or they want to try to collect is not really objectionable to me, especially if I get a nifty bumper sticker for a couple bucks if I want one. :)

But it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, for sure. Well, we’ll still have this site always (?), and of course our dear little Florida forum, heh-heh.

Robbi314 07/20/2010 9:06am

No, I guess it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and I get what you’re saying but I did get several private messages from other posters regarding this and the email he sent and then I came on here and saw sher’s post as well, so I think he ruffled a few feathers, if ya know what I mean.

• nancym 07/20/2010 8:29am

And I forgot to add, I was surprised and delighted, finally to see that NBC News did a segment specifically on the 99ers last night! It was short, but very clear about the distinction of those getting new benefits with this new bill and the fact that the 99ers would get nothing. It showed a working mother, or rather a want-to-be working mother who sincerely said she WANTS to work, but there is nothing out there.

• sheaffer67 07/20/2010 9:02am

I believe I just saw on CSPAN2 that besides extending benefits until Nov. They also said in Nov they will extend another 99wks. I may be wrong but I’m sure that’s what I heard. It was right after they took recess till 215pm.

• Robbi314 07/20/2010 9:10am

Oh and BTW I hear Alan Grayson is going to be on The Ed show tonight. That should be interesting. I’m sure he won’t beat around the bush like Shaheen did about the 99ers.

nancym 07/20/2010 9:25am

Thanks for the tip, he’s my favorite Dem rebel!

• nancym 07/20/2010 9:37am

Interesting turn of events in the polls. But I don’t really think all those other issues are a great part of the reason, no matter how important in the long run, other than unemployment. How many people actually paid attention to that financial reform package in any detail?—mainly political workers and the financial lobbyists and bloggers who write about it. 15 million unemployed and 2-4 times that number in terms of families affected, and it’s a pretty big dent in the voting block.

“It’s the economy, stupid” affects any poll results now more it did at any time since the Depression. Dems have not completely awakened to that yet this year.

• nancym 07/20/2010 11:00am

Even the WSJ has started using the term “99ers”—and this is an interesting analysis from them today:

“Unemployment Extension Fight Is Just Beginning”

Sher1 07/20/2010 2:30pm

@nancym: Hey you beat me to it! I saw a nice slogan on the ww website and its catchy " KEEP THE FIGHT ALIVE for a TIER V to SURVIVE!.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

nancym 07/22/2010 12:12am

Hi Arlene, that’s rough doing custodial. Hope you get something different soon.

School is going fine, the term is finished in a few weeks, then I start again Aug 23 with four more classes. These technical classes are pretty time-consuming, but I’m learning a lot of updated stuff, so it’s good.

• sassysally50 07/20/2010 11:14am
    Yeah I read that article Unemployment Extension Fight Is Just Beginning" In past recessions, unemployment extensions continued until the unemployment rate dropped below 7.5% ……..So why not this recession?

Maybe this is the reason

The President did not address these forgotten 99ers in his Rose Garden speech. Is that because he does not know about them, unlikely, or is he just sweeping them under the rug because of political pressure?

• VLeichsenring 07/20/2010 12:21pm

I love it. Applause broke out in the visitors gallery.

Senate vote ends GOP filibuster of extended jobless benefits

When Goodwin cast his vote, applause broke out in the visitors gallery, in violation of Senate protocol.

“I could not feel more privileged than I do to cast my first vote as a member of the United States Senate to have it be a vote that helps millions of Americans,” Goodwin said after the vote. “These are real issues that affect real West Virginians and real Americans in very real ways, and I feel privileged to have played a small role in helping to move this legislation forward.”

• Marcy 07/21/2010 4:53am

It’s great. While I am truly happy that this will start the tiers again for those affected by the cutoff, I guess I’m still a bit morose that they are ignoring the long term unemployed. After Nov they’ll look at us? After November it will be too late: if something is even able to be done then.

• sassysally50 07/21/2010 5:29am

yeah well after giving the banks trillion dollars to bail them out by the tax payers ..that was us before we got laid off ..Congress has no $$ ( budget deficit) left to help the unemployed that have been hit the hardest.. Wonder what God has in store for them ..

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

nancym 07/22/2010 12:53am

Heh-heh. Well it appears Overthrow either was having a hissy fit or a nervous breakdown or is going megalomaniac on us, I don’t know which, but right after he threatened to shut down he put up a new video for Round II—focusing on Tier V and the elections! He is a bit nuts, but he could also be a force for change if he doesn’t burn out crazy.

I was away from the site for a few days, so I missed the fireworks I guess. But here is the latest video from OT:

• JohnB 07/21/2010 12:22pm

Job seeker crashes car into employer’s office

CYPRESS – A woman going to a job interview crashed her car through her prospective employer’s window Wednesday morning, police said.

Around 8 a.m., a driver in the parking lot of an Orange County Social Services building at 6100 Chip Ave. in Cypress mistook the gas on her car for the brake and drove through a window, Sgt. Steve Ramsey of the Cypress police said.

One way to impress the employer. :)

HopefromCA 07/21/2010 9:36pm

Well,
    That’s one way to prove to your potential employer that you have car insurance.

nancym 07/22/2010 12:06am

Thanks, guys, I needed that laugh. I know it wouldn’t be funny to be that person, but I can just picture that on America’s Funniest Videos. ROFL!

• n0bama4me 07/21/2010 12:36pm

watch out for lib democrats trying to purposely wait to extend unemployment until around election time… interesting the timing it takes to implement the process and actually get checks. i am not appeased and i will still be voting every damn one of them out – yes even the repubs, but mostly the liberal out of control democrats who went nuts when obama got in.

• Mnwolf 07/21/2010 12:52pm

What I want to know is why on C-Span2 have this listed out as Extending long-term jobless benefits…. It does nothing of the sort…..

Send Your Senator a Letter