S.1850 - Beginning Farmer and Rancher Opportunity Act of 2011
A bill to expand and improve opportunities for beginning farmers and ranchers, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)
All Bill Titles
- Official: A bill to expand and improve opportunities for beginning farmers and ranchers, and for other purposes. as introduced.
- Short: Beginning Farmer and Rancher Opportunity Act of 2011 as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 2
- Past Seven Days: 7
- All-Time: 1,779
Official SummaryBeginning Farmer and Rancher Opportunity Act of 2011 - Amends the Food Security Act of 1985 to extend: (1) the conservation reserve and related programs, (2) the pilot program for enrollment of wetland and buffer acreage in the conservation reserve program, (3) the environmental quality inc
Official SummaryBeginning Farmer and Rancher Opportunity Act of 2011 - Amends the Food Security Act of 1985 to extend:
(1) the conservation reserve and related programs,
(2) the pilot program for enrollment of wetland and buffer acreage in the conservation reserve program,
(3) the environmental quality incentives program,
(4) activities to address air quality concerns from agricultural operations, and
(5) the conservation access program. Permits conservation reserve contract modification to facilitate transfers from retiring owners to limited resource farmers or ranchers. Amends the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act to:
(1) reduce the number of operating years required for a beginning farmer or rancher to qualify for a direct real estate loan,
(2) authorize micro loans for beginning farmers or ranchers who are between 19 and 35 years old,
(3) extend real estate and operating loan authority at increased levels,
(4) revise private source transition provisions,
(5) make the direct operating loan set-aside for beginning farmers and ranchers permanent,
(6) permit loans and grants for entrepreneurial farm and farm-related enterprises, and
(7) extend the beginning farmer and rancher individual development accounts pilot program. Amends the Agricultural Risk Protection Act of 2000 to extend the value-added agricultural product market development grant program. Amends the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002 to extend the beginning farmer and rancher development program. Provides assistance for agricultural rehabilitation and vocational training for veterans. Amends the Competitive, Special, and Facilities Research Grant Act to extend the Agriculture and Food Research Initiative. Provides priority assistance for new farming opportunities, including young, beginning, socially disadvantaged, and immigrant issues, as well as farm entry, transition, and transfer issues. Amends the Federal Crop Insurance Act to express the sense of Congress that the Department of Agriculture (USDA) should remove barriers and ensure effective access to crop and revenue insurance by beginning farmers and ranchers. Extends authority for reimbursement of research, development, and maintenance costs. Provides for risk management programs targeted at beginning, socially disadvantaged, transitioning, or legal immigrant farmers and ranchers. Amends the Department of Agriculture Reorganization Act of 1994 to direct the Small Farms and Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Group (within the Office of Advocacy and Outreach) to designate a state small and beginning farmer and rancher coordinator from among the state office employees of the Farm Service Agency, the Natural Resources Conservation Service, the Risk Management Agency, the Rural Business-Cooperative Service, and the Rural Utilities Service. Amends the Department of Agriculture Reorganization Act of 1994 to establish in USDA the position of Military Veterans Agricultural Liaison.
...Read the Rest
Organizations Supporting S.1850
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
- Center for Rural Affairs
- The Cornucopia Institute
- Demeter Association
- Fair Food Network
- Farmer-Veteran Coalition
- ...and 20 more. See all.
Organizations Opposing S.1850
- None via MapLight at this time.
Latest Letters to Congress
S.1850 Beginning Farmer and Rancher Opportunity Act of 2011
December 03, 2011
I am writing as your constituent in the 15th Congressional district of Florida. I oppose S.1850 - Beginning Farmer and Rancher Opportunity Act of 2011, and am tracking it using OpenCongress.org, the free public resource website for government transparency and accountability.