S.2198 - PACE-Education Act
A bill to ensure the United States successfully competes in the 21st century global economy. view all titles (3)
All Bill Titles
- Short: PACE-Education Act as introduced.
- Short: Protecting America's Competitive Edge Through Education and Research Act of 2006 as introduced.
- Official: A bill to ensure the United States successfully competes in the 21st century global economy. as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 1
- Past Seven Days: 1
- All-Time: 968
Official SummaryProtecting America's Competitive Edge Through Education and Research Act of 2006 - PACE-Education Act - Establishes programs to provide additional mathematics and science teachers in K-12 elementary and secondary education (teachers), including: (1) Department of Education (ED) grants
Official SummaryProtecting America's Competitive Edge Through Education and Research Act of 2006 - PACE-Education Act - Establishes programs to provide additional mathematics and science teachers in K-12 elementary and secondary education (teachers), including:
(1) Department of Education (ED) grants to institutions of higher education (IHE's) for baccalaureate degree programs in mathematics, science, and engineering, with teacher certification, and for master's degree programs in mathematics and science education for teachers;
(2) National Science Foundation (NSF) scholarships for recruiting and training new teachers, and fellowships for teachers;
(3) ED grants to nonprofit entities to train additional teachers for Advanced Placement (AP), pre-AP, International Baccalaureate (IB), and pre-IB programs;
(4) a National Clearinghouse on Mathematics and Science Teaching Materials;
(5) Future American-Scientist Scholarships (ED);
(6) Department of Energy graduate research fellowships in scientific areas of national need; and
(7) NSF early-career research grants for scientists and engineers. Directs the Office of Science and Technology Policy Matters to:
(1) coordinate science, mathematics, and engineering education programs;
(2) establish a National Coordination Office for Advanced Research Instrumentation and Facilities;
(3) establish guidelines for federal agencies to allocate funds for high-risk, high-payoff research; and
(4) award a President's Innovation Award. Directs the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to award early-career research grants. Amends the Stevenson-Wydler Technology Innovation Act of 1980 to direct the Department of Commerce to award grants for feasibility studies and plans for science parks, and for revolving loan funds to develop science park infrastructure. Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to:
(1) create a new visa category for doctorate students in mathematics, engineering, technology, or the physical sciences; and
(2) exempt from numerical limitations on employment-based immigrants certain aliens who have received such advanced degrees and are working in a related field. Directs the Department of Defense (DOD) to award early-career research grants. Expresses the sense of Senate on:
(1) policies to accelerate deployment of access to broadband Internet;
(2) the visa process for foreign students at U.S. IHE's and foreign researchers engaging in scientific research in the United States;
(3) patent reform; and
(4) exemption of certain uses of technology from treatment as exports.
...Read the Rest