S.22 - Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2007

A bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to establish a program of educational assistance for members of the Armed Forces who serve in the Armed Forces after September 11, 2001, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: A bill to amend title 38, United States Code, to establish a program of educational assistance for members of the Armed Forces who serve in the Armed Forces after September 11, 2001, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2007 as introduced.

• Anonymous 04/30/2008 4:06pm

Would anybody know if this would be retroactive back to 9/11/2001. For instance, if I have used the G.I. Bill since 9/11, would I get retroactive payment for the difference between the old GI bill and this new one?

• Anonymous 05/17/2008 8:01pm

I dont think so because this is for service AFTER 9/11. As I understand it you need at least 2 years AD after 9/11.

• Anonymous 05/21/2008 12:28pm

my husband served for about 5-6 years after 9/11 and 3tours in iraq. But since has used almost all of the GI bill that is given now. Would he get retroactive to make up the difference?

Anonymous 07/05/2008 11:29pm

no, I don’t think it is retroactive for previous years. The new benefits are to take effect in August 2009. Until that is implemented, the VA has enacted a 20% increase in the GI Bill for the Fall/Spring 08/09 semesters.

• SeanCotten 05/31/2008 3:04am

I’ve spent plenty of time serving the U.S. with one tour in OIF and in the middle of a second one. I’m speaking no one other than myself here. I’m for this bill because it offers a viable way to be able to advance in education after my service to my country ends. My personal feelings are that every soldier who has served their time in either OIF or OEF deserves to have their education covered.

Anyone who has served in the War on Terror should be honored for their time and sacrifices. The original GI Bill covered the college expenses of that era’s veterans. The current GI bill should do the same.

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 6:01am

From what it sounds like they wont do retroactive, so since my husband is motivated and likes to work hard and will have used this GI bill during school (even though it didn’t even pay for school… just went to living expenses), the bill wont help us any even though he served 3 tours in iraq and 9yrs with marines. But atleast it might help others right. =(

• Anonymous 06/12/2008 10:21am

I personally think that they should make retroactive payments to those that served after 9/11 and have already used some of their GI benefits. Otherwise it’s like saying that those who served earlier in the war are not as important as those that served later.

• Anonymous 06/19/2008 6:45pm

For more information, you can go to www.gibill2008.org and look for the FAQ.

• Anonymous 06/27/2008 3:57am

I was involved with the 911 rescue efforts and served until mid 2003. Since then I have managed to get a BA (in 2 yrs) and am now working on finishing my Masters. My last month of the G.I. Bill ran out. I was forced to take school loans through out this period which has left me with serious debt. It would seem only logical if using a date of 911 for coverage you would want to include the go-getters. Those of us that fought our way through school in record time after serving our country should not be left out.

• Anonymous 06/30/2008 10:26am

Stop whining. This is a good deal.

Good on you for getting your degree ahead of others, but don’t complain that it didn’t pay for your Masters degree. I used mine for my BS degree, and am going to use the remainder for part of my Masters.

• Anonymous 07/03/2008 3:08am

I joined the military after 9/11 and have paid the 1200 but havnt used any benefits of the GI Bill, would that mean a refund?

• Anonymous 07/11/2008 8:08pm

No you dont get a refund. If you were currently paying the 1200 now, you could elect to stop payments. But since you’ve already paid you cant get it back. I’m in the same situation.

• Anonymous 07/20/2008 1:19am

Yes you do get a refund, clearly mentioned in text.

Send Your Senator a Letter