S.2730 - COBRA Subsidy Extension and Enhancement Act of 2009

A bill to extend and enhance the COBRA subsidy program under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. view all titles (2)

• Official: A bill to extend and enhance the COBRA subsidy program under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. as introduced.
  • Short: COBRA Subsidy Extension and Enhancement Act of 2009 as introduced.

• bcritical 11/19/2009 3:45am

Do you know this bill or HR.1 does not let you add dependents due to marriage..so you can’t add you wife or children. You can still get COBRA but not the subsidy this should be changed.

Bill (MD)

• cinder_480 11/20/2009 8:29pm

I think this is so important for those of us who are actively looking for work and unable to secure a position. I live in Arizona and our unemployment pay is so low that it will take nearly two weeks of pay to cover my monthly insurance. I don’t know how families will even make it…I am sure many will have to drop their insurance since they will not be able to afford it.

I know several qualified people who are out of work and are having a hard time finding other positions due to the economy. They are actively looking.

This is the first time in my life I have been unemployed and I devoted over 19 years of my life to my last company.

We need the help now to get us through this bad dip in our economy.

Cindy (AZ)

• helenkaannies 11/21/2009 2:14am

This bill needs to pass! My son-in-law has been laid off for almost a year from a company he was with for 20 years and there is nothing else in this area. My husband and I are retired and have been helping the family with our “emergency” fund which is about tapped out. If they can’t keep this subsidy going they are going to lose their home AND health insurance. They have allergies and need shots. The home is an owner-builder (family blood, sweat and tears) that they have been in for 12 years.

• guaranas 11/28/2009 8:06am

There are many people who have commented on this bill on other sites, Washington Week, etc. who are now receiving the Cobra Subsidy and are about to lose the subsidy to include myself. Many more will lose their healthcare coverage, for lack of being able to pay the premium much less any other costs if this bill is not passed soon. I have read in so many instances that Senators are not responding to people when they have written. On behalf of all the people who are on Cobra and signed up with Cobra when the subsidy became available during 2009, this bill needs to move forward by those who initiated it, be passed quickly and not ignored in the Senate while millions of people try to figure out how they will pay for healthcare during this holiday season and going forward.

• handyrod 11/30/2009 3:40pm

Right now I am paying $474/month for family health coverage. When the subsidy runs out next month I will pay over $1350/month. I make $1352/month on unemployment. Do the math in the Senate. Should I send the $2 to my mortgage or buy food?

• aymst1 12/01/2009 3:58am

My subsidy ended in November. If I do not come up with $585 (individual COBRA) by the end of this month I will lose my health insurance. Unemployment only covers rent/util/food. In addition, I have a chronic illness where I need costly medication. I have already written my senators and only received generic responses. This bill is moving so slow that I will most likely join the millions of people uninsured.

• alexmend 12/10/2009 1:42pm

We are a family of five, that until February of this year counted on the job of my wife to provide health care coverage for all of us (I am a micro-business owner). Unfortunately she lost her job at ING Financial Advisors, and since then; regardless that she is a qualified professional, capable, able and willing to work; she hasn’t been able to find a new job.

Until last month we enjoyed the COBRA Benefits extension passed under ARRA, but now, that we exhausted the term of the subsidy, our COBRA premiums jumped from $500 to $1,500, and that consumes all the Unemployment Benefits that have been so wisely extended by Congress. We hereby respectfully request from all of you to forward the bill ASAP to the full Senate. Our well being, and of all those that find themselves in this unfortunate circumstances, is at stake. Of all the many issues under our concern, this is the one of outmost priority.

• NAPOLEON69 12/15/2009 12:05pm

I MUST SAY EVERYONE HAS BEEN QUITE CIVIL IN THEIR COMMENTS TOWARD THIS MATTER, BUT I CHOOSE TO BE A BIT MORE DIRECT. IT’S TIME FOR OUR “LEADERS” TO WAKE UP AND REALIZE THAT WHILE THEY ARE PUSSY-FOOTING AROUND, THE SAME PEOPLE WHO PAY FOR THEIR SALARIES, HEALTHCARE, AND FINANCIAL SECURITY ARE LOSING IT ALL! THEY HAVE LOST HOMES, HEALTHCARE, CARS, FAMILY, AND THERE DIGNITY. MOST FOLKS DID NOT LOOSE THERE JOBS FOR LACK OF PRODUCTION AND RESULTS…WHY SHOULD OTHERS IN ‘WASHINGTON’ KEEP THEIR’S FOR THAT REASON?!?!? TO PUT IT BLUNT… GET OFF THE POT AND DO SOMTHING! TIME HAS RUN OUT.

• informplease 12/21/2009 4:11am

I am getting very frustrated! WHAT will it take to be HEARD! While it is realized this is only a temporary solution, it is one that is critical! I can’t help but wonder how it is that some of those voted in these offices can’t seem to understand what we Americans have to loose! OH, I get it, their families are well covered even after their term, so why worry about us!! We aren’t asking for a free handout! We PAY for this coverage and didn’t ask to be put in our situations. The $1250.00 we paid out for the COBRA this month may seem like chump change to them, but it will be the deciding factor in the future to go without coverage and critical medications. People complain now about people using the ER that have no coverage, well, this is just another invite for more of the same especially for those of us that are considered uninsurable! OUR TIME HAS RAN OUT! PLEASE HELP!!! Once again, THANK YOU Congressman Sestak and others who ARE thinking of us “little people”

jeremybaker 12/22/2009 11:13am

FYI – They passed the Cobra subsidy extension as part of the Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2010. The President signed it into law yesterday.

Send Your Senator a Letter